Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhen were you infected by Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 25>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2010 at 07:30
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

I had my first stereo in 1975.

The very fact you call it a 'stereo' marks you as being of a certain age

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2010 at 07:51
While I'm writing I'm listening to Manfred Mann's debut..Clap 

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2010 at 12:07
 I did not like prog rock at first, i found what i had heard in the early seventies, which was when i started to collect records (that started in 1971, when i turned 8 years old) did not do much for me, and at the time,  i was  drawn to heavy rock, and remained so, for a long time.
        Many of my friends liked prog, but at that time, i found it's complexity rendered it innaccessible for me, as well as a feeling that it smacked of pretentiousness.
          In the spring of 1985, when i was 22,  a friend of mine  lent me  four albums-Nektar's  Recycled, and  Magic Is  A  Child, and Triumvirat's Illusions On  A Double Dimple and Old Loves Die Hard.
         The Nektar albums were somewhat interesting, but i was really turned onto Illusions On A Double Dimple-this album really epitomised for me what i felt right from the start was what real progressive rock could  be. It appealed to me in a big way, and left me feeling, for the first time really, that ignoring prog was wrong, and that i was really missing out on something special in doing so.
 The other Triumvirat album, Old Loves Die Hard, was interesting, but could not hold a candle to Illusions On A Double Dimple.
           This got the ball rolling, and the rest, they say, is history!
Adams Bolero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2010 at 12:12
When my tutor gave me Nursery Cryme by Genesis.
yanch View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2010 at 12:27
originally posted by progpositivity
So yanch... It seems that Prog hit you like a ton of Bricks?  Big smile

I was indeed and grateful my friend knew I'd get it!Smile
shockedjazz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2010 at 12:27

First got into spacerock and canterbury, especifically Caravan.I was trying to find weirdier music and then i found Krautrock.

Then after Yeti and Ege Bamyasi i said to me "Man these is what you like, lets see what else is in the treasure box"

And thats the story....basically.
leifthewarrior View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2010 at 12:40
I grew up listening to prog.  My dad was a big fan of legendary band like: Yes, Kansas, JTull, ELP.   Even as a kid I went to two Yes concerts, and two Kansas Concerts.  But that wasn't the defining point for me.  Unfortunately, I started listening to the appalling sounds of Punk Rock and Grunge.  I thought it made me hardcore or something, against the norm!  Yes I was an idiot, but weren't we all?  

Anyway, one day I was sitting in Art class painting.  NOTED: I was a senior then.   And this foreign exchange student from Finland came up to me and she said "here, I think you might enjoy this."  She handed me this Sonata Arctica cd.  I turned it on and the first song I heard was "My Land".  That evening I went home and burned all my punk and grunge cds.  I have been on the journey to find the most incredible song ever every since. :)
harmony View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2010 at 12:52
I just kinda grew into it.  Before there was prog I always gravitated towards the more creative types of music.  Always preferred things like Revolver over mindless pop.  After the psyc period I discovered the great proto prog and prog related bands like U Heep and Wishbone Ash.  Always on the search for new and better things, I evolved into a full blown prog fan.  Two things influenced me more than anything.  My friends who had similar music tastes as me and the radio.  I`m old enough to remember when FM radio was "underground" and their playlist might go from The Beatles to Holtz`s The Planets to King Crimson.
FusionKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2010 at 12:58
Born a progger. When I was a kid, I thought that everyone was just supposed to know who Yes and Rush were.
"Man is nothing else but that which he makes of himself" - Sartre
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2010 at 14:02
My older brother was into Zepplin, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, so i already knew about Ummagumma ect.
Then about 73-74 i met older kids with cassettes and records:
Aqualung,  Birds Of Fire, In a Glass House, Foxtrot, Fragile, (`),  are the first i remember. I was about 10-11 at the time. Been hooked on classic Prog ever since. When the Jazz/Rock scene developed - i was ready.

King Crimson (now i consider them above the rest) I came to know much later than the rest of the old masters, a close friend bought Discipline when it came out in 1981. I allready knew about Fripp's Exposure, and started to dig into what he was all about. Soon i was a Fripp-freak, as to this day.

Harder prog.: I had most 70's Rush albums, but i never thought of them as more prog than bands like Zepplin. A friend more into harder stuff than I was at the time, kept playing Dream Theater, but it didnt kick me off, then he got Tool's Lateralus in 2001, and i got it !! Started looking into the Metal/Prog idear and  found many other heavy'er bands i like a lot, some more prog. than others.

Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
elder08 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2010 at 14:08
A bunch of my friends started listening to pink floyd about the time i discovered rush and since all my friends thought PF was good then i might to so i bought darkside of the moon and got my mind blown and changed how i listened to music fo ever

None of us actually new a genre to put floyd under so we found it on the interwebs that it was psychadelic rock which we thus found out it was a form of progessive rock. I already knew rush was under that genre too so about 5 monthes ago we stumbled upon this website ( we had been listening to pf and rush for about a year) and started checking out new artists evfery day.
"There are people who say we [Pink Floyd] should make room for younger bands. That's not the way it works. They can make their own room."- David Gilmour
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2010 at 15:23
I was walking past a concert hall in 1970, and I saw some guys with guitars getting off a bus, and walking toward the entrance.  Thinking they might be famous, I pulled out my camera, and quickly snapped a photo.  At the flash, one of the guitarists' eyes glowed bright red, as he turned and pounced on me with the speed of a cheetah. The pain was excruciating. 

When I awoke, a roadie was standing over me.  "You're lucky to be alive", he said, "Nobody takes flash photos of Fripp.  Nobody."  He bandaged the bite marks, and sent me on my way.

The next day I awoke with a strange urge for twenty minute songs, with complex arrangements.  I never looked back.
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
Tursake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2010 at 15:27
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ what was your first album?

Dark Side Of The Moon

Last.fm: TursakeX
RYM: Tursake
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2010 at 15:44
Originally posted by progpositivity progpositivity wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I have a different angle....back in the very early 70's for me it was not a "rock" artist. I was into funk/funkadelic and hard core R&B. I have always felt funkadelic was the soul music reply to psychadelic rock. Groups like Parliament, Earth Wind & Fire, Bootsy Collins....who were stretching the music all over the place. But what I liked most was long songs that these artists were making....I also liked Zeppelin, because they are a blues band with attitude and their harder songs got me exploring other rock artists.

1974...Then I saw the album cover for Rush Fly By Night...it was cool, I bought it (mom did actually) I was about 9yrs old....and have never looked back since then. I knew about Yes, PF and Genesis during that time but it was Rush with By Tor that got me where I am today.
So I have to say it was not the word or genre of Prog....but rather my love for long songs and the structure that made them interesting to me.

This is fascinating to me.   If I'm reading this correctly, Catcher10, at the young age of 8, you were already getting into really long songs and felt funkadelic was the soul music reply to psychedelic rock?  You were destined to be a progger for sure! 

I don't think I was even cognizant of such sub-genres at the age of 8.  I'm pretty sure I was thinking in very broad terms like "pop", "rock", "country" and "soul" if I was even thinking about genres at all. 
Correct...but you have to understand that for me long songs were cool, I liked the 10 min songs that George Clinton was creating with Parliament. At the time I did not know that long songs were an attribute of prog. Not until a few years later understood that, and was able to appreciate more why a song was 10 min long versus 4 minutes long, regardless of genre.

Growing up in a hispanic neighborhood, we all listened to funk, R&B.....Santana, War Clap along with those I have listed already.
Yes, PF and KC were not playing at my friends houses.....I had heard of them but never listened to those artists till the mid 70's.

I still listen to the "roots" of where my appreciation for music came from.......But I bleed Progressive Rock.

Back in the day as a kid all we had was music and sports. We did not have video games, computers, cable TV or the mall.......When I was not at Little League practice I was in my room listening to music...that was my pacifier.
Its different today.
ProgBob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2010 at 17:22
'Popular' music pretty much washed over me until I was about 12 or 13.  The only music that had really appealed before then were some classical pieces I had heard (obvious popular classics like 'Mars' from the Planets, Also Sprach Zarathustra, Grieg's Peer Gynt) and film music like Star Wars (this was the late 70s).  Then I got friendly with someone of the same age who was in a band with some guys 3 or 4 years older than him and who had some knowledge of music.  He played Dark Side of the Moon to me but it didn't make much of an impression at first. The thing that really blew me away was something he had taped from the radio - Tubular Bells part 2 from Mike Oldfield's live album, Exposed.  Shortly afterwards I bought the album (on cassette!) and then got his Boxed collection containing the first 3 albums for Christmas that year. In the next couple of years I got into Genesis, Pink Floyd, Yes (especially), Tull, King Crimson as well as more general rock like Led Zep, Rainbow and some of the heavy metal that was popular at the time (it was the NWOBHM era).  But it was the Mike Oldfield stuff that was the bridge into all this, especially the Exposed album.  I think perhaps it was the orchestral aspect of the music that initially appealed but it gave me an entry point into appreciating rock guitar.  It also contained elements of folk and jazz that predicted some of the tastes that I would develop later.

Although I said that I hadn't listened to any pop or rock music before this point, there were a few singles in the charts in the late 70's that I heard on the radio or saw on TV that did make an impression on me and which I can also see as 'seeds' for my future tastes:

Northern Lights by Renaissance
Forever Autumn by Justin Hayward
Follow You, Follow Me by Genesis
Guilty by Mike Oldfield

I knew nothing about any of these at the time.  They are all pretty much 'prog lite' but I find it interesting looking back that I picked up on these almost instinctively.
Bob
everrain View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2010 at 18:03
I came from the 90s power metal wolrd, some day i start listening dream theatre and labirynth, the other Marillion and the old 70s. the thing is if that you evolve yo will end in the prog.
Kashmir75 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2010 at 00:21
I think I've always subconsciously been a progger, but didn't realise it until about four or five years ago. At uni, I had this friend who was obsessed with Pink Floyd, Radiohead, Led Zep, etc. I soon got into all of these bands too. It was probably Radiohead, and some of Zeppelin's proggier stuff (like Houses of the Holy) that eased me into accepting 'out there' epic songs. Before this time, I thought that the edgiest music was punk and grunge.

In 2006, I think, I ripped one of my dad's Yes CDs to my laptop; interested in checking out more 'epic rock' (I don't think i'd encountered the term 'prog' yet). I didn't understand the music at all initially, but it wasn't long before I got pretty seriously into Yes. I never looked back. Now I'm a hardcore prog nut, constantly expanding my musical universe by checking out new bands. 
Hello, mirror. So glad to see you, my friend. It's been a while...
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2010 at 02:27
Seeing ELP on a history of rock type documentary in 1977 broadcast on the BBC. Some guy was pulling an electronic organ round the stage making some godawfull noise.WTF?? I also heard Hoedown played on the radio and loved the keyboard sound. After that it was getting hold of Tarkus that sold me.Done deal.
justaprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2010 at 03:21
About four years ago when I listened to Thick As A Brick by Jethro Tull which I found in my mother's LP collection.Smile
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2010 at 06:19
I got introduced to it through Pink Floyd (on reading them being described as progressive rock) but I had sort of been readied for it by listening to the works of an Indian composer named Ilayaraja. Because through his music,  I had learnt to keep pace with music that was more complex than typical pop/rock hits airing on the radio or VH1/MTV, so making the shift to prog was not really much of a shift, more like getting back to where I belonged. Smile  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 25>