Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhen were you infected by Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 25>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2010 at 09:24

Born in 66 I should have rather become more of a punk or a disco or a techno, were it not for 3 facts

a) in my native Spain rock came always with some delay due to the dictatorship of Franco
b) I was surrounded by older brothers / sisters / cousins, I was always the youngest in my family's youth band, and
c) in my early teens I happened to meet some friends (who were to become my life-long buddies) who were in similar situations like me, into prog even if our age was a bit too young. When everybody of our age was going nuts with Saturday Night Fever and The Jacksons, or altenatively with The Sex Pistols, we were meeting at some of our places to listen to Selling England by the Pound.

So since very young at home the soundrack consisted of some late 60's and much early 70's music, Tarkus, In the Court Of, Dark Side of The Moon, Fragile, Trespass, Foxtrot... all the classic prog gems, as well as many other things of the times like of course The Beatles, The Who, Zeppelin, Purple, Bowie, Hendrix, Lou Reed, Jesus Christ Superstar and so many others. My dad was a bit too old for that and he was more into classical music, musicals and jazz which unknowingly probably also made me receptive to the more classical forms.
So I was "bathed" in prog and 70's classic rock which I loved.
By the time I got in my teens it was the late 70's and although I never stopped listening to prog I got a heavier period, turning more to Judas Priest, AC/DC, Rory Gallagher and stuff like that. I also got a lot into Queen (the good times) and Rush which are still among my most loved bands together with the actual progs. When Marillion came out my heavy period came to an end (although I always retained some affinity which later on came to make me pick again some hard stuff like Steve Vai, Dream Theater or Pain of Salvation) and since then I have kept faithful to prog.

Not a very original story but that's how it went for me...

Lizzy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2010 at 09:50
Dang! Looking back at things it seems that even my infection with prog was progressive: first Kansas, then Queen, Yes, Tull and the rest. O_o Let's put it this way, ever since I remember prog has been shoved down my throat. Thanks, Dad! Yeah... took me more than 15 years to get into Tull, now I don't think a day passes without my listening to at least a track of theirs.
Property of Queen Productions...
kawkaw123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2010 at 09:54
My guitar teacher, when i was 12 or 13 played a Dream Theater song for the first half of a 30 minute lesson. It Was the best guitar lesson ever because it opened up my eyes to the world of PROG. 
javier0889 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2010 at 14:51

When I was like 10, my favorite band was (and still is) The Beatles. Somehow I managed to get a cassete tape of The Piper At The Gates of Dawn...

But the exact moment whan I decided that prog rock was my favorite music genre was like 2 or 3 years later, when a local TV show broadcasted like a half of Pictures at an Exhibition, Child in Time by Purple circa 1972, and Steve Howe playing The Clap. They had a very low rating, maybe that's the reason why they dared to "lose" like 1/2 hour with those videos XD

Edited by javier0889 - April 17 2010 at 14:51
TheSolarSystemRace View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2010 at 16:21
I think that I was infected when I was a child of 8 or 9 and my dad used to play Pink Floyd all the time.  I don't think there was a day when he didn't put in Dark Side of the Moon or The Wall.  Though I didn't actually start listening to prog as my main genre of music until last year I think that the early Pink Floyd exposure has something to do with it. 

Also, I pretty much entered the prog genre through Rush which I heard because of my 8th grade health teacher playing YYZ one day before class.  That was an awesome teacher.  After that I kept listening to good music and when I discovered Dream Theater last year I knew that I had found the right genre for me.
javajeff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2010 at 17:33
I have been a long time fan of many prog groups like Jethro Tull, Yes, Pink Floyd, and Rush, but never put much thought into what prog was.  Now that I realize there is a whole genre of music that I will love, I am exploring like crazy.  This site is great for finding new bands, even if they are from the 70s.  They are still new to me.  Smile

Edited by javajeff - April 17 2010 at 17:34
XunknownX View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2010 at 19:16
In 1973 by Giorgio Moroder's single "Lonely lovers symphony".

Edited by XunknownX - April 17 2010 at 19:17
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2010 at 04:38
I downloaded Arena's Contagion by accedent...
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2010 at 13:34
I first started paying attention to music in the very late sixties, in the form of AM radio.  At that time, some commercial acts were stretching out into prog directions.  I heard Deep Purple do 'We Can Work It Out' on the radio before I heard the original Beatles version.  As I continued to listen over the next few years, music by Yes, Tull, and ELP were common on the airwaves.  This trend increased when I went over to FM radio.  I can say there are two defining moments for discovering Prog in its own right, though, the first being an important predecessor to the next.

That first moment was in 1974 when I bought my first record: Burn by Deep Purple.  More Purple followed, as well Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Rainbow, and the like.  Note that all these acts are listed as Prog Related on the Archives.

The next moment was in 1977 when a friend of mine played Jethro Tull's Songs From the Wood.  Now, I had heard Tull before, but this was the first full album I heard of them where the music was spectacular.  At around that same time, I bought Going for the One by Yes.  Again, I already had some Yes in my collection, namely Yessongs, but something clicked for me with this album.  Ever since then, Prog has been my own mainstream.  My tastes expanded to more Tull and Yes, Genesis, King Crimson and then shortly into Classical and Jazz.  Without getting into the details of why, Prog just entertains and interests me the most of all forms and genres of music.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
progpositivity View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2010 at 15:07
Originally posted by Evolver Evolver wrote:

I was walking past a concert hall in 1970, and I saw some guys with guitars getting off a bus, and walking toward the entrance.  Thinking they might be famous, I pulled out my camera, and quickly snapped a photo.  At the flash, one of the guitarists' eyes glowed bright red, as he turned and pounced on me with the speed of a cheetah. The pain was excruciating. 

When I awoke, a roadie was standing over me.  "You're lucky to be alive", he said, "Nobody takes flash photos of Fripp.  Nobody."  He bandaged the bite marks, and sent me on my way.

The next day I awoke with a strange urge for twenty minute songs, with complex arrangements.  I never looked back.

Now that is a very amusing, if somewhat apocyphral, post!  (BTW - Evolver - I like your signature file.)

ClapLOL

Positively the best Prog and Fusion 24/7!
http://www.progpositivity.com
progpositivity View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2010 at 15:15
Originally posted by Kashmir75 Kashmir75 wrote:

I think I've always subconsciously been a progger, but didn't realise it until about four or five years ago. At uni, I had this friend who was obsessed with Pink Floyd, Radiohead, Led Zep, etc. I soon got into all of these bands too. It was probably Radiohead, and some of Zeppelin's proggier stuff (like Houses of the Holy) that eased me into accepting 'out there' epic songs. Before this time, I thought that the edgiest music was punk and grunge.

In 2006, I think, I ripped one of my dad's Yes CDs to my laptop; interested in checking out more 'epic rock' (I don't think i'd encountered the term 'prog' yet). I didn't understand the music at all initially, but it wasn't long before I got pretty seriously into Yes. I never looked back. Now I'm a hardcore prog nut, constantly expanding my musical universe by checking out new bands. 

I wonder if it would be easier to get people interested in "epic rock" than "prog rock" or "progressive rock".  Prog - as a word - just sounds a little odd doesn't it?  It sounds a bit like Prig.. or Frog.. or Pig...  None of these are particuarly appealing words in a music discussion. 

I think I'll give "epic rock" a try the next time a younger person that is casually into classic rock asks me about the music I like.  I might just say, I've been really getting into "epic rock songs" lately.  And then let them borrow Yes' "Close to the Edge"!  Big smile
Positively the best Prog and Fusion 24/7!
http://www.progpositivity.com
Plastic Dreamer View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2010 at 06:38

Like most, I was probably familiar with prog before I knew it was prog. But the album that probably opened my eyes was "Once Around the World" by It Bites, when I was around 18 in 1988. A good album to start with I think because It Bites are quite quirky and not too demanding, so the music was quite accessible but still more sophisticated than most other popular music at the time. I can remember playing it for a friend of mine and him describing it as "Progressive Rock". I was unfamiliar with the term even though I had listened quite extensively to Pink Floyd, Hendrix, Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin. But even now I don't really think of those bands as "Prog" although they were all certainly "Progressive" if you follow me. My friend described Progressive Rock as music with "long songs.." with "complex structures..". What came to my mind was Dire Straits...but what did he mean?

Anyway I was intrigued to acquaint myself more with this music labeled "Progressive Rock". I gave Marillion a go and also Rush, but these two bands seemed worlds apart. How could they represent the same scene? It wasn't until I left home for Art College in Portsmouth that I truly discovered what Progressive Rock was all about. My land lady's daughter had moved out leaving behind her record collection. Here I found the classic Yes albums - The Yes Album, Fragile and Close to the Edge. Learning to know and love the music that they contained opened up the doorway for me.

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2010 at 06:47
This is why you should never listen to unprotected music. Tongue
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

The Acolyte View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2010 at 13:33
I have to say I'm really proud to have discovered Progressive Rock by myself, no one talked to me about it. Other tastes of mine (which I hope some of you progger friends likes too...Wink ) includes the likes of The Smiths, The Cure, Morrissey, Bauhaus, Joy Division, among others.
By the mid-nineties I was in my teens and obviously listened a lot to Nirvana, Red hot chili peppers and stuff like that when a weekly magazine called "La Historia del Rock" began to circulate (I'm from Colombia, BTW gretings from the country where "the only risk is wanted to stay for a living"). That was it, one issue was called "Rock Progresivo" and once I read it whole, I was hooked by its contents: that kind of music was the one that I've been asking and waiting for so long. So I started to search for albums (to find prog records here in Colombia is almost impossible) and came across King Crimson's In The Wake Of Poseidon and, after listening to the first seconds of Pictures of a City, the rest is history.
Nowadays, I have expanded my prog tastes and collection and hope to continue enjoying this wonderful music.Clap
"…but would I leave you in this moment of your trial?"
happythe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2010 at 13:56
I was fond of Pink Floyd off my dad, but it wasn't til 2003  that I discovered prog f'real. In June, there was a thread on the Liverpool FC forum (my old home) off-topic called "Favourite Genesis album". Free at the start of the summer holidays and eager to indulge a fellow fan, I scoured the house for albums by ..."Genesis". I found Trick and W&W, listened obediently and was unmoved. (BLUSCH.) Then one cold day in November I traipsed into an unknown record shop, 15 years old, surfin' the waves of indie and nu-metal and oblivious to what might lie in the stax of that very shop. The owner probs wanted to surprise me when he whipped open Foxtrot and gestured at Peter Gabriel - "how's that for a haircut?" Little did he know that I was bound to notice that this unfamiliar singa was a 'righteous hottie' and that the record had to be mine. And the rest is a wonderful story for another day.
Stop me from dreaming?
Okay :-(
logoman View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2010 at 14:07
Spotty youth 1969 record section back of hardware store category "Contemporary Music" sampler album "Wowie Zowie World of Progressive Music" purchase out of curiosity and at that point my life changed.
The-time-is-now View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2010 at 15:39
I was infected by Tormato (Yes), two years ago; I'm 21 ;-)

One of my best achievements in life was to find this picture :D
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2010 at 21:28

I was infected by prog in 1971 at age 15. "In The Wake Of Poseidon" by King Crimson is what specifically did the damage. I had a collection of progressive rock albums that started with Crimson and branched off into things like....Rare Bird, Greenslade, Gentle Giant, Curved Air, Guru, Guru, Tangerine Dream, Mort Garson, Beaver & Krause, Gong, and Zappa. I had a great love for bands like Jethro Tull, Genesis, and ELP however, I was more drawn to the obscure underground bands from the progressive rock scene in Europe during the early 70's. Popol Vuh, Jade Warrior, Mike Oldfield, and David Bedford held my interest for many years. I greatly enjoyed Vangelis and his years with RCA records. That was very magical Vangelis. Various recordings of his seemed to cross over into the progressive rock style just as much as they did with electronic music. It was a great experience discovering these artists and purchasing their albums from vendors in Europe. It was a difficult task to find recordings such as these in the analog age but the mission to obtain them all became an interesting adventure.

Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2010 at 02:55
Originally posted by Evolver Evolver wrote:

I was walking past a concert hall in 1970, and I saw some guys with guitars getting off a bus, and walking toward the entrance.  Thinking they might be famous, I pulled out my camera, and quickly snapped a photo.  At the flash, one of the guitarists' eyes glowed bright red, as he turned and pounced on me with the speed of a cheetah. The pain was excruciating. 

When I awoke, a roadie was standing over me.  "You're lucky to be alive", he said, "Nobody takes flash photos of Fripp.  Nobody."  He bandaged the bite marks, and sent me on my way.

The next day I awoke with a strange urge for twenty minute songs, with complex arrangements.  I never looked back.

Ladies & gentlemen, we have a candidate for Post Of The Year

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Valarius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2010 at 03:16
In 2003, at the age of 16, I thought I'd randomly buy an album by a band I'd never listened to before. That album turned out to be Dream Theater's 'Images and Words'. At first I thought it was awful, but it very quickly grew on me and is now my favourite album of all time.

Edited by Valarius - April 21 2010 at 03:17
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 25>