Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What do we all think of Starcastle on this site?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat do we all think of Starcastle on this site?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2010 at 08:06
Like most of the opinions on this thread, the first album is the best though I have not heard the fourth album.  I also agree that they were inspired by Yes (and other sources I'm sure but Yes is obvious).  When the first album came out, it sounded fresh enough for me to play over and over again.  The second was good but the freshness was wearing off for me and it didn't go anywhere the first album didn't.  The third album I played once or twice.  Probably why I didn't see the fourth album when it came out.  I think it was after that they merged with Reo Speedwagon?  For those who have not heard the band, I do recommend their first album as an introduction.  If you like it, try the others.
Even a man who stumbles around in the dark will influence those he does not see.
yanch View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2010 at 14:13
Their first album is good. Lady of the Lake is a very good song. They were heavily influenced by Yes and what's interesting is that their harmonies, back in the seventies, were very reminiscent 90125 era Yes, well before then. I saw them in 1977 open for Gentle Giant in Central Park and they put on a terrific set that was well received by us Gentle Giant fans. For me the later albums aren't as good.
esky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2010 at 15:14
Had the right idea. A little whiney on vocal, perhaps.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2010 at 20:58
Originally posted by yanch yanch wrote:

Their first album is good. Lady of the Lake is a very good song. They were heavily influenced by Yes and what's interesting is that their harmonies, back in the seventies, were very reminiscent 90125 era Yes, well before then. I saw them in 1977 open for Gentle Giant in Central Park and they put on a terrific set that was well received by us Gentle Giant fans. For me the later albums aren't as good.

That had to be a fun show.  The first really good combo concert I saw that comes to mind is UK opening for Jethro Tull at the now demolished Atlanta Omni.

But back to Starcastle, if you don't like Yes or bands highly imitative of others, you should keep on floating by.  I haven't heard much of their catalog but I do recommend the first one.

Edited by Slartibartfast - May 04 2010 at 20:59
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

yanch View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2010 at 21:30
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Originally posted by yanch yanch wrote:

That had to be a fun show.  The first really good combo concert I saw that comes to mind is UK opening for Jethro Tull at the now demolished Atlanta Omni.

But back to Starcastle, if you don't like Yes or bands highly imitative of others, you should keep on floating by.  I haven't heard much of their catalog but I do recommend the first one.

It was a really good show. Was a couple of days after high school graduation, so I remember it well. Was also, like you, able to see UK open for Tull. Another really good show.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12