Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Official 'review our music' forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDays Before Tomorrow

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Days Before Tomorrow
    Posted: May 05 2010 at 09:32
Hi all,

Many of you are familiar with Days Before Tomorrow. We're a melodic prog/neo-prog band from New Jersey, USA, and we just played Friday night at RoSfest to a truly wonderful and appreciative crowd of prog lovers.

I would love for someone here to review our concept album, The Sky Is Falling, which was produced by Ron Nevison.

But in the meantime, everyone is invited to download two of our songs for free! Just visit the link below (which isn't visible if you just go to our website):

Enjoy,

Scott

Marty McFly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2010 at 11:37

Well, sorry that my review was so harsh. I will revisit it, re-evaluate and who knows, maybe I can give more if I'll feel like. I certainly want, as I'm trying to find positives.

OK ?

There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
DaysBeforeTomorrow View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2010 at 13:17
Funny, I never saw that review until now. And wow, it was the first bad review we ever received... and I'm being serious. :-) For someone who makes it very clear in the review that you don't care for melodic vocals in your prog, it seems a bit inappropriate for you to review the CD, since you don't appreciate the quality of the four and five-part vocal harmonies. Big vocal hooks are part of what make us unique, and although it makes a lot of people think of Styx and Journey, the music comes from a different place than that entirely. Apparently, though, a few other Prog Archive folks like what we're doing based on the non-text reviews, which have a more positive vibe.

I'm not angry or anything -- we actually appreciate good critiques and criticism. So here's my critique of the review (because I'm the editor in chief of a music magazine by day -- can't help myself) :-p.. 

To read a review where you make negative comments that are all preceded or followed up with comments like "but you know I don't like that anyway" seems to make the review less insightful. You critiqued the vocals quite a bit -- which are hailed worldwide by people as among the best singing they've ever heard on a prog record -- yet you mentioned nothing of the stellar musicianship, actually.

If you had the physical CD, you'd see that the cover is just the tip of the iceberg, too. The Sky Is Falling is a concept album, with a 24-page full color booklet illustrated by Steven Bentley and containing the story that ties everything together.

But no worries... we're all allowed to have our opinions. I just hate for prog fans to pass us by because of reading something like your review.

Scott

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2010 at 13:43

Indeed. But for example "The Dillinger Escape Plan", I'm listening their album right now and have to say that it is quite good. I didn't think it when I first heard it. All these screams made me feel bad. Now I found that behind them is actually very interesting complex "melody", or "rhythm", I'm not sure how to call it.

Maybe I simply was in a bad mood at the time. Maybe I was more critique back then, for sure I didn't know and haven't reviewed so much as I do now.

Exactly - I may voice my opinion, I know that, but it must be good opinion. There is actually thread called "Reviews reporting thread" where not just offensive, spaming etc review appears, but also badly written reviews. They're mostly overlooked because there is no policy against badly written ones (except the worst), but it is reported.

Unfortunately, I don't have physical CD anymore, but I remember this booklet, even I haven't read, not even flicked through it.

Do you know Moon Safari ? That's so ironic about it, their vocals harmonies are for sure good, one of the main hooks of their music. To say that I like them is too soft, I appreciate them a lot.

You're also right that if there is just one review, it will be harder for will-be-listeners to find you.

Some words reasons I used here are bad, I know about that (I do have my bad periods in reviewing), but you do know that 3 stars should be average here, don't you ?

I will re-listen more than one times to give it fair chance.

There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2010 at 14:02
Thanks, McFly :-).

And no, I don't know Moon Safari. Do you think I'd like them given our present style of music? I'll have to check them out.

Scott

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2010 at 16:12

Scott, I really want to thank you. I blackmailed my friend, threatened and also there was fistfight between us that ended with one broken leg.

Nah, just kidding. So, where were I ? Oh, I want to thank you because your music is really good. I don't know what I was thinking at the moment, or how bad I felt back then, but this music is solid 4(-) to 4(+) album for me. Not something I would rate 5 stars (no offense though), for this I would need other things to have here, but it's really surprisingly pleasant.

Even I like Moon Safari, I'm not sure if I would recommend them to you. Try some of their samples, either on myspace or this PA page (both using Flash applet I suppose), so you can hear for yourself, but they're Symphonic a lot. Melody, harmony is everything there and for some, their music is too "sweet". However, I appreciate most forms of music so I can enjoy Days Before Tomorrow and Moon Safari, both.

Romanian Black Metal band Negura Bunget is different cup of tea, that's still something I can't get myself into, but you know. I don't really know why I rated so low and for this, I apologize.

I usually defend my opinion, but it seems like this certain opinion as the one presented in my review isn't good.

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2010 at 16:46
Wow! Thanks. I'm sure I've written a review of a CD on a bad day before too. Mostly, I'm glad you've rediscovered that we're enjoyable :-).
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2010 at 04:12

This happened few times (but amongst my 540 reviews just few times seems like very rare), but remedy was mostly recommendation of a friend.

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=239561

This is my feedback on music :-) can you give me your feedback now on my feedback ?

Also, strange that no one else answered.

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2010 at 09:12
Thanks Marty. That looks great. 

The story of The Sky Is Falling is basically about an alien race that visits Earth, sees what a lousy job we do taking care of our planet, and then decides to eliminate mankind to take Earth for themselves. But not all of the aliens feel that way, and they join forces with some of the humans, calling this resistance the Lighters. "Thousands of Lighters in the air" is actually singing about the resistance, not a feel-good time at an arena concert :-). The story follows some central characters, and a child named Tomorrow is the first offspring that is a hybrid human/alien baby. All of our songs have dual meanings... you get one thing from them when you hear them on their own, but something entirely different emerges when you see the lyrics in context within the concept story in our booklet.

J-Man View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2010 at 18:36
I would be VERY interested in reviewing it! I'm a fan of neo-prog and concept albums, so it sounds like it would be right up my alley. LOL

Check out my reviewer profile to see if you're interested (http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=20672). If you are interested, just shoot me a PM and I can guarantee a review in a week or less.

-Jeff

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2010 at 00:07

Very nice album, I listened to it yesterday. Please give me more days in order give it more listens and write a proper review.

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2010 at 09:40
Thanks guys!

J-Man View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2010 at 19:13

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2010 at 23:54
Hi Scott,

As promised, here you have my review.

Thank you very much!

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
Conor Fynes View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2010 at 21:52
Hey Scott, hope you and your bandmates found insight in my review.
Great music, keeps growing on me even after the review! Might have to revise.
 Post Reply Post Reply