Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSusanne Sundfør for Crossover prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Susanne Sundfør for Crossover prog
    Posted: June 05 2010 at 11:58
Ive tried to get some attetnion without much succes, but I have experienced that do you want something done you have to work hard for it. I will sugest that this artist would be best listed in Crossover prog becouse of the mixture of styles buyt lack any of the complexities of the 70s prog bands but the sonic quality and arangements are verry progressive for 2010.

You might not at first look at her as Prog arist (i did not think that at first but after some listenings and adding both albums on my track list i have come toe the conclusion that she is verry ambitious in bouth arangements and instrumentation.  just not wave her of take some time listening to her albums or  samples on Myspace.

not many long songs but all the songs are mini-epics.

the first album is more prog related/Crossover wile the later the Borthel is clarely a progressive album (stong electronic influence I even trace some chamber influnce which would not seemd strange on Gentle Giant album 

http://www.myspace.com/susannesundfoer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susanne_Sundf%C3%B8r
http://www.susannesundfor.com
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=susanne+sundf%C3%B8r+live&aq=f
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2010 at 12:00
Black Widow is one song I would listen to espessialy
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2010 at 12:23
This is pop music, very nicely written, arranged and performed, but not rock and not prog Confused
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2010 at 12:48
I stil sugest listen to the album the Brothel yes it is pop but it is very origenal pop with a lot of ambient and Moog synths
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2010 at 14:22
^ Sorry Aginor but this artist will not make evaluation stage. Nice pop.
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2010 at 02:25
Lovely music. It reminds me of another young lady.

Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2011 at 15:10
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

This is pop music, very nicely written, arranged and performed, but not rock and not prog Confused

She's as rock and prog as other ladies recently inducted in Crossover. I dare to say, judging from her latest album, even more.
Bigger on the inside.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2011 at 15:15
^ That's not going to do her any favours, if you ask me. LOL

Seriously now, we're not going to discuss Crossover suggestions by comparing them to Tori Amos and Bjork. The first rule still stands: suggestions are to be evaluated on their own merits. (No "If X is here...")
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2012 at 15:54
After her latest album, I do feel this topic needs a revival. Sure, the PA collabs probably have better grounds to say what is/isn't prog, but they can't ignore when an artist like Susanne is being hailed in the press as "Norway's leading Art-Rocker" (NPR). Some friends have come up to me asking why I don't suggest for PA, and look surprised when I tell them she already has been and was rejected. I too had my reservations at first, but with 5 very strong albums(two of which brilliant art-rock stuff, one clearly Electronic Prog) I now feel her inclusion would be a logical step forward for this website. 
Bigger on the inside.
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2012 at 16:01
Any links to new album material? For a re-eval she would need to be judged solely on the material after her rejection and the team would need to unanimously vote yes.
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2012 at 07:55
Originally posted by Andy Webb Andy Webb wrote:

Any links to new album material? For a re-eval she would need to be judged solely on the material after her rejection and the team would need to unanimously vote yes.

There is material galore on YouTube, but actually, Andy, when I said rejection I meant the feedback on this topic alone: I don't think she was actually evaluated by any team in the first place.

I have three of her albums (Susanne Sundfør, The Brothel, The Silicon Veil) which I can easily rip and share for evaluation purposes. I've also heard the other two albums on internet stream (not available anymore): Take One is a re-recording of the songs from the first album on a single acoustic session (the result is overall much better IMO). A Night at Salle Pleyel is an instrumental Electronic piece, released on vinyl but not CD (digitally available on iTunes and Amazon though), that would not look bad next to a lot of German electronic greats. This is a good review: http://kierontyler.blogspot.pt/2011/12/susanne-sundfr-night-at-salle-pleyel.html 

Bigger on the inside.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2012 at 15:56
The Silicone Veil:

Thumbs Up
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2012 at 05:18
Mind you, I'm not necessarily proposing her to Crossover, as the topic title suggests. She could as easily end up in Related or maybe Eclectic.
Bigger on the inside.
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2012 at 10:48
Any news on the evaluation? The Silicone Veil is easily the best Art-Rock album this year for me, would be great if I could vote for it in the Collabs poll.
Bigger on the inside.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2012 at 12:45
Nothing for her on progfreak: http://progfreak.com/Susanne-Sundfør-99152.html. Added by avestin around 3 years ago, but no record of any PA activity on the site. Doesn't look as though a formal evaluation has ever actually been initiated.
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2012 at 20:05
Oh gosh, I'm torn. I feel like I should throw them to crossover, but I can't imagine they'd have a terribly good chance there. While I hear the art rock sentiment of this album, I'm having a hard time hearing prog. It sounds more of a mix of experimental triptronic and Kate Bush. 
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2013 at 06:11
I see you point, Andy, and I agree - like I said above, despite Aginor's proposal I don't think Crossover might be the best fit (even though after all this time I'm still at a loss at what "crossover" means). The definition of Crossover written by Micky fits her perfectly, but despite the pop and electronic flavour of the music I find her overall approach and delivery closer to that of Diamanda Galás in Avant that Björk in Crossover. But, of course, this music sounds like nothing in Avant-Prog, so I think her inclusion there would be out of the question.

As for the "Prog" part of the equation, well, that really can't be brought in to this discussion - "Prog" is a very narrow concept that I don't find applies most of the cases (Progressive is a much better one, and that she is). Like other sugestions, such as St. Vincent or Swans, and like other PA inductees, she is Art-Rock, the same way Bowie or Jarre are, but clearly not "Prog". That, however, has never been an impeditive on this website before. 

Her first two albums are very well made pop, after that it's two full art-rock albums and one instrumental record that may just be the best electronic music album I've heard since Synergy's debut.  
Art-Rock, not "Prog", some relations to Prog acts (Jaga Jazzist the better known), highly experimental and innovative composing and songwritting despite a somewhat commercial flavour, ergo Prog-Related might be her best shot, even though I believe that her path so far (not just this latest album) is clearly PA material. 

Edited by Kotro - January 01 2013 at 06:16
Bigger on the inside.
Marty McFly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2013 at 18:34
Yeah, Micky did a lot of things. Good things for us.

As for dear Sussane, she didn't get formal evaluation, so standard rules about voting still stands. So, should we (as Crossover team) evaluate her based on her last 2 albums ?

And if Prog Related, I think all of you (who posted in this thread) know the rules, SC will have to propose it to the admins. It won't be me though, I do this only for artists I know. So if Prog Related will be the way, you will have to find someone (who possibly knows her and her work).

P.S - Thanks for fruitful discussion here. This doesn't happen too often to have so long thread here ... only for controversial cases. This won't be controversial, am I right ?

Am I ?
There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2013 at 03:23
no it wont!
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2013 at 04:29
Originally posted by Marty McFly Marty McFly wrote:

Yeah, Micky did a lot of things. Good things for us.

As for dear Sussane, she didn't get formal evaluation, so standard rules about voting still stands. So, should we (as Crossover team) evaluate her based on her last 2 albums ?

Personally, I think you should evaluate based on her 5 albums, as they all present something interesting and are occasionally very different to each other. Like I said above, I can share 4 of those for evaluation purposes. Her instrumental album, A Night at Salle Pleyel, is available on Spotify and iTunes, I believe.
Bigger on the inside.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>