Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIt's possible to know all albums on PA ? (NO)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2010 at 05:56

Interesting theoretical question but not one that challenges me at all.

I prefer to keep my 4 and 5 star albums in frequent rotation and try to get to know +/- 5 new albums per week.
For me that's a good working balance between both enjoying and expanding my music collection.

Edited by Bonnek - June 11 2010 at 05:56
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2010 at 07:43
Originally posted by Marty McFly Marty McFly wrote:

Questions:

1)How would this change you (me) when you know more and more, what would advantages and disadvantages be like ?

2)Is it possible to remember then all ? Is it possible to review all of them ?

3)Because we're mortals, it's probably not possible to hear all albums that you would like to hear in a lifetime. Or is it ? I suppose it's not, so how to deal with this issue ?

1 / I would very fast get so sick with those stack's of awfull prog. recordings, that i might forget why i loved prog in the first place

2/ No I would still only be able to remember the good tracks.

3/ No its not, i would protentialy love to know every album ever made in any genre, due to the fact that if you dont know it, it may be the best album ever made, without you knowing.
But just getting to know 1 album from every country in the world, 1 album from every genre ever made,
100+ good albums, from diffrent artist, from every decade.
and still find time to listen to what you love allready, is a huge challange.

Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2010 at 11:03
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Your comment makes me think: How many possibilities a good symphonic prog band has to be carefully listened even by an expert ? 

Good question:

I tell you with confidence that at least those we added, all have been listened carefully.

When we took the team, we found 619 bands, and at a simple view you could notice some bands didn't belong here, so Micky, Raff, Fragile DT, later HT and I made a six month cleaning, we found bands that belong in other genres like Neo Prog, Prog Related, Art Rock, Folk and even Avant Garde and Prog Metal that were included in Symphonic because of prestige or mistake.

We also found 8 bands that didn't belong in Prog Archives and were deleted

We moved 219 bands to other genres

It took us 6 months, but we checked each and every band.

Then later when Micky and Raff left the team to form Art Rock, HT, Clem and I checked all the bios (there were almost 300 missing or really terrible), so we added or changed more than 300 bios.

Now, I may not remember all, but being a lawyer, I'm obsessive woith backuping documents, so I have a copy of each and every band added, bio, review and even reports of each band verified, that at the end have been very useful to write my book about Symphonic Prog that is in edition (Spanish).

So don't worry, the ones we added from 2006 (When th eteam was formed) to the date, are verified, and the ones added previous too us, are also double and triple checked

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - June 11 2010 at 11:05

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2010 at 13:44
Hi,

I don't think it is NOT possible to "know" all the albums in PA. But it is possible to have a pretty good idea and have heard them before.

I have heard a lot of music, as has Dean and so many others here, that deserve the appreciation for their knowledge and experience. But it doesn't mean they are the authority on it. It does mean however that in a "wider scale" of music they have heard a lot more and should be able to give any one of us a better idea of what the music does and says and is like.

That said, it is still difficult. So if any of us sits down and try to write a review for The Edgar Broughton Band, and or something that is unusual and a bit out in left field, when it comes to their music mix, almost no one that posts here is going to read it and appreciate it, much less listen to it.

One other thing. In the older days, we had to buy the album or the CD. Basically we are used to a whole album and not quite/always a single piece of music, or worse, a song! And that is the main difference today when someone is listening. Checking things out is easy today and you can just about grab anything/everything ... the problem being that more than half of the people here, probably only heard one song, and that is a serious issue ... many "progressive" bands do NOT sound the same from cut 1 to cut 5 ... and on top of it the majority of their stuff is not 3 minutes long! Which means you can not gain a good feel and understanding for what the music is all about.

And this is where a lot of music, like krautrock is a problem for today's headbangers ... even Acid Mothers is too much because it isn't 3 mintues long and singing about the "bitch" or something else that is really stupid that the band is trying to sound "relevant".

Edited by moshkito - June 11 2010 at 13:46
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2010 at 14:06
If you are independently wealthy and capable of staying awake 24 hours a day, I figure you can at least get to try all of them over the course of a few years.  Otherwise, selectivity is a must. 

You can get to know a huge chunk of prog if you spend a significant portion of your waking hours on it.  But unless you have no personal life, I wouldn't recommend it.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Failcore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2010 at 16:35
They need a machine like they had in the matrix that can just beam knowledge into your head.
Marty McFly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2010 at 16:40

^ Who knows, maybe in 2050 there will be such machines. Or something that will help us to enhance our experience, to understand faster etc. But I won't rely on that. I rather make a plan.

I'm trying to write PA database down (and do regular updates on newly added albums/bands) and I will simply check those that I have heard. It will be slow, but I will be able to track it down easily.

There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2010 at 16:42

Also we must consider that from all these albums that are on ProgArchives, 1/3, YES, whole one third are unreviewed ones. So we don't know at all what to think about these albums.

In my reviewing business, I also often came to an album, where the album was quite good, but there already was a review. Stating 2 stars, usually in right column. I gave this album 4(-) which I believed it deserved, so average rating was instantly from 2.00 stars on 3.82.

Sudden change, eh ?

There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2010 at 17:12
hmm... I might consider doing what Ivan did but with RIO/Avant or Zeuhl, so it's enjoyable
Jake Kobrin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2010 at 18:16
You could easily listen to all of the top 100 lists, but why would you want to listen to all of the albums on the site??? There are so many bad albums, certainly... 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2010 at 18:44

Bad thing is that what is bad for someone may be good for someone else. Look, majority of people here likes Captain Beefheart's Trout Mask Replica. I hate this, every second of it. Every part, every note, tone, sound.

I've tried, I've asked for help with this albums few people here, but everything was unsuccessful.

And it's album that is very well rated:
3.87 | 105 ratings | 59 reviews | 44% 5 stars

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2010 at 20:37

Bad thing is that what is bad for someone may be good for someone else. Look, majority of people here likes Captain Beefheart's Trout Mask Replica. I hate this, every second of it. Every part, every note, tone, sound.

Marty, one thing is taste and I agree with you, but there are also really bad albums, amateurish, terribly performed, totally lack of talent, and to make it worst, horrendous recording.

Iván

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2010 at 05:20

http://www.progarchives.com/top-prog-albums.asp?ssubgenres=&salbumtypes=1&syears=&scountries=50&scountries=53&scountries=62&scountries=83&scountries=85&scountries=132&scountries=157&scountries=164&sminratings=1&smaxratings=0&sminavgratings=1&smaxresults=250&x=83&y=6#list

Top bottom, one of the worst rated albums I saw. Both of them. This is what I imagine when you're talking about really bad albums.

But take for example our "beloved" Love Beach
2.04 | 121 ratings | 56 reviews | 4% 5 stars

More reviews, better rating. Many people gave 3 stars, while some gave 2 stars or one star (you for example and others).

What album is really bad, Love Beach or these in link I gave here ?

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
toroddfuglesteg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2010 at 06:10
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Marty, one thing is taste and I agree with you, but there are also really bad albums, amateurish, terribly performed, totally lack of talent, and to make it worst, horrendous recording.

Iván

How do you define the phrases "bad album", "amateurish" and "totally lack of talent" ?

I am only asking you this because I was once involved in a record where the recording was botched up and the drummer had absolute no idea what he was doing. The production was a joke (the producer was probably tone deaf). The mix was botched. The mastering was a joke. The art work was a joke. The songs even beyond a joke. 

To my amazement, this album got on average over four out of five stars and the reviewers was falling over each other in praise. Most of the reviewers had even bought their personal copies of this album because I did not exactly want to see reviews of that piece of garbage in the magazines. Only one reviewer hit the nail on the head and gave it one star. 

I lost a lot of illusions after that experience.  LOL LOL LOL  

Edited by toroddfuglesteg - June 12 2010 at 06:14
Kashmir75 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2010 at 06:50
Originally posted by paganinio paganinio wrote:

I'd rather listen to a thousand Opeth clones than try out anything new.
That's why I stay comfortably numb within the progressive metal genre.
But really, What would they care if I did stay, No-one should know, oh no (insert amazing guitar solo here)

Godhead's Lament. Awesome song! Clap
Hello, mirror. So glad to see you, my friend. It's been a while...
SergiUriah View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2010 at 10:15
Every moment has it´s real musical accompaniment. I listen only what I decide to, and whatever I want and my senses ask for...

According to this, I see a big waste of time and a no-sense act trying to listen the whole PA archives. 
Music is a personal pleasure, not an obligation. (If you are not payed for doing it!)

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2010 at 12:49

http://www.progarchives.com/top-prog-albums.asp?ssubgenres=&salbumtypes=1&syears=&scountries=50&scountries=53&scountries=62&scountries=83&scountries=85&scountries=132&scountries=157&scountries=164&sminratings=1&smaxratings=0&sminavgratings=1&smaxresults=250&x=83&y=6#list

Top bottom, one of the worst rated albums I saw. Both of them. This is what I imagine when you're talking about really bad albums.

But take for example our "beloved" Love Beach
2.04 | 121 ratings | 56 reviews | 4% 5 stars

More reviews, better rating. Many people gave 3 stars, while some gave 2 stars or one star (you for example and others).

What album is really bad, Love Beach or these in link I gave here ?

Believe me, Love Beach is a masterpiece in comparison with a couple we heard.

Not going too far, DON'T BUY it, but listen the samples in Allmusic:

Boxset/Compilation, released in 2003

Songs / Tracks Listing

Track Listing - Disc 1
1. Re-Works One [Fanfare 2000 Golden Jubilation Mix] (7:29)
2. Re-Works Two (5:43)
3. Re-Works Three (5:24)
4. Re-Works Four (10:43)
5. Re-Works Five (6:13)
6. Re-Works Six (5:50)
7. Re-Works Seven (10:33)
8. Re-Works Eight (3:22)
Track Listing - Disc 2
9. Re-Works One [Fanfare 2002-Extended Golden Jubilation Mix] (7:26)
10. Humanoid (6:03)
11. Inside Out (4:01)
12. Plastic Flowers (4:32)
13. Palmstone (9:17)
Track Listing - Disc 3
14. Fanfare 2002 [Digger's Mix] (9:43)
15. Fanfare 2002 [Earth Loop Mix] (8:42)
16. Fanfare 2002 [Public Order Mix] (6:28)
17. Fanfare 2002 [the Pilgrim Mix] (8:28)
18. Fanfare 2002 [X-Ert's Esoteria Mix] (3:57)

God, this is an aberration, even a diehard fan like Threefates (no longer in the site) who believed Love Beach was really god (and she's entitled), considered this album a bad joke.

EIGHT VERSIONS OF THE SAME SONG 

Has 125 because one person gave then 2 stars

(10 ratings)
Essential: a masterpiece of progressive rock music(0%)
0%
Excellent addition to any prog rock music collection(0%)
0%
Good, but non-essential (0%)
0%
Collectors/fans only (20%)
20%
Poor. Only for completionists (80%)
80%

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - June 12 2010 at 12:57

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2010 at 06:36
Originally posted by SergiUriah SergiUriah wrote:

Every moment has it´s real musical accompaniment. I listen only what I decide to, and whatever I want and my senses ask for...

According to this, I see a big waste of time and a no-sense act trying to listen the whole PA archives. 
Music is a personal pleasure, not an obligation. (If you are not payed for doing it!)

Music should indeed be pleasure. BUT when trying to do systematic approach, because I won't be able remember/navigate without some kind of plan in these waters of Prog. 

I'm systematic person, but this doesn't mean that it's obligation for me. It's pleasure, done in systematic way.

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2010 at 06:49
Marty's probably going to think I'm making fun of him, but if possible I would like to ask him how often he has sex. Because if the answer is "at all" he is our hero and should write a book on how he manages to get through so much prog as well as that.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2010 at 06:30

Textbook, as you probably can imagine, I'm not going to answer this question directly. However, I'm satisfied as far as physical needs goes.

When talking about music, I still want to hear / know / research / discover more.

This should answer your question, if it's either fun or seriously meant.

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>