Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Rodrigo San Martin (Symphonic Rock from Argentina)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRodrigo San Martin (Symphonic Rock from Argentina)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rodrigo San Martin (Symphonic Rock from Argentina)
    Posted: June 13 2010 at 14:27

This guy (21 years old) is a guitarist multi instrumentalist from Buenos Aires. He released his debut album this year (2010) called "1", where he composed, played every instrument, sang produced, mixed and mastered all by himself. It's also the first Argentine album in Surround Sound.

The music's influenced by Porcupine Tree, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Yes, Mike Oldfield and Genesis.

The album is available as a free download. 

Myspace:

http://www.myspace.com/rsanmartin

Album Download:

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=99945835c4068628b64026cfc061123698842e5df698ffa2f7e866bfb1230ce0

DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2010 at 02:48
Now checkin', thanks! :-)
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2010 at 03:32
Clap

Wow, wonderful!
Warm, comfortable but highly tense sound bombs he can shoot ...
Not enough Symph nor enough Heavy but may be fit for Eclectic or Crossover IMO.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2010 at 05:11
It's not an easy case to categorize, indeed, but I'll ask the Symph Team to be the first to evaluate this suggestion. Thanks Thumbs Up
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2010 at 06:29
Rodrigo San Martín sounds like Porcupine tree, or Anathema, even Riverside at times though a commercial melody threaded through it - perhaps a crossover genre.
It is not complex enough for symphonic

"No" features wah wah guitars, some distortion, sustained keypads, clean English vocals, instrumental is acoustic and piano then a melodic chorus and wah wah guiatr solo at end. great music, rather more commercial than symph.

"Phase 3" has heavy guitar riff that chuggs as clean vocals are sung.

"Circe" has harmonic guitar intro and some nice trilling, picking style. acoustic plays as vocals gently sung love centred lyrics, "to see, to hold you in my hands, she  refuses to see, the world as a ????" she refuses to accept what others take for granted.... she refuses to see her world..." A pretty ballad

"Blues in E" has a great heavy distorted guitar riff and some nice lead licks in between verses. The time sig changes intermittently and this is more proggy than others i heard. The Hammond sustained chords are very nice. "Who the hell do you think I am, why dont you tell me what are you gonna do" he sings. Lead solo is excellent.  Best song I think.

Heavy prog would suit this too from this song. As heavy as Rush or PTree at least.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2010 at 09:54
About Rodrigo San Martin, in first place I don't trust too much in a band that claims this number of influences:

Quote Porcupine Tree, Genesis, Peter Gabriel, Yes, Pink Floyd, Mike Oldfield, Jethro Tull, Queen, Blackfield, The Gathering, Steven Wilson, King Crimson, Emerson Lake & Palmer, Nobuo Uematsu, Frank Zappa, Metallica, Nightwish, Richard O'brien, Rush, Sting, Steve Hackett, Steve Howe, Adrian Belew, The Beatles, Agua de Annique, The Police, The Who, Alanis Morissette

Please, nobody plays all this styles, as a fact I hear nothing of Genesis, Gabriel, Oldfield, Tull, Queen, King Crimson, ELP, Zappa, Rush, Hackett, Howe, Bellew or The Who. Maybe something of Pink Foyd and Porcupine Tree, IMO mostly Alternative/Indie.with a bit of Porcupine Tree.

I believe Prog Related at the most, not remotely related to Symphonic.

Iván

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2010 at 10:20
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

About Rodrigo San Martin, in first place I don't trust too much in a band that claims this number of influences:

Quote Porcupine Tree, Genesis, Peter Gabriel, Yes, Pink Floyd, Mike Oldfield, Jethro Tull, Queen, Blackfield, The Gathering, Steven Wilson, King Crimson, Emerson Lake & Palmer, Nobuo Uematsu, Frank Zappa, Metallica, Nightwish, Richard O'brien, Rush, Sting, Steve Hackett, Steve Howe, Adrian Belew, The Beatles, Agua de Annique, The Police, The Who, Alanis Morissette

Please, nobody plays all this styles, as a fact I hear nothing of Genesis, Gabriel, Oldfield, Tull, Queen, King Crimson, ELP, Zappa, Rush, Hackett, Howe, Bellew or The Who. Maybe something of Pink Foyd and Porcupine Tree, IMO mostly Alternative/Indie.with a bit of Porcupine Tree.

Iván

\\from what I can gather I didnt think he was saying he played all these styles but rather was influenced by these artists. i concur that its not symphonic at all. So pass this one on to the crossover and prog related teams in my opinion.
Inthecage View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2010 at 10:51
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Iván

\\from what I can gather I didnt think he was saying he played all these styles but rather was influenced by these artists. i concur that its not symphonic at all. So pass this one on to the crossover and prog related teams in my opinion.

I agree, those are his influences while making music, that doesn't mean he sounds like any of them, in fact he sounds quite like himself.

Has any of you heard the full album? I think I'll surprise you. It's an album length track. I guess with something so difficult to categorize it's worth a listen,

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2010 at 18:06
Heard the free album from the link you sent.

My opinion hasn't changed

Iván

harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2010 at 04:26

That's true Scott, "influences" means more things, not just "similarities". I agree with you.

BTW, if you (as a genre team) reject a suggestion thinking they could have a better chance for another genre, you need to post in that team thread and ask for a evaluation, giving link to the initial suggestion. Smile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2010 at 04:28
Ok will pass onto prog related as Ivan and I are in agreeance with that.

Thanks
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2010 at 05:23

Ok will pass onto prog related as Ivan and I are in agreeance with that.

Thanks
Maybe cannot fit Related, without influencing upon younger progressive rock project methinks. Wink
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2010 at 09:13
What does that mean? I am more puzzled now?
Inthecage View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2010 at 10:44

Prog related seems a little harsh to me, sounds like "Not enough prog to be a prog band" haha

You're right, I don't think it's Symphonic anymore, I guess I'd call it Crossover, since it uses a lot prog elements that are not necessarily in the same sub genre. 

Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2010 at 18:53

Oh sorry for my belated reply, but let's see the definition of Related and you can find as follows:
Quote Prog Related is the category that groups bands and artists that:

- Without being 100% Prog, received clear MUSICAL influence of this genre, AND

- Are widely accepted as MUSICALLY influential to the development of Progressive Rock by the community, AND

- Blend characteristics of Progressive Rock with mainstream elements creating a final product that despite not being part of the genre is evident that are close to Prog.
I suggest he cannot meet the requirement on the red underline maybe. Smile
Of course, I think he should be progressive (nearly 100% methinks) so he can be fit for Crossover or Eclectic (as a mixture of Hev and Symph).

Edited by DamoXt7942 - June 16 2010 at 18:55
Inthecage View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2010 at 15:44
Originally posted by DamoXt7942 DamoXt7942 wrote:

Oh sorry for my belated reply, but let's see the definition of Related and you can find as follows:
Quote Prog Related is the category that groups bands and artists that:

- Without being 100% Prog, received clear MUSICAL influence of this genre, AND

- Are widely accepted as MUSICALLY influential to the development of Progressive Rock by the community, AND

- Blend characteristics of Progressive Rock with mainstream elements creating a final product that despite not being part of the genre is evident that are close to Prog.
I suggest he cannot meet the requirement on the red underline maybe. Smile
Of course, I think he should be progressive (nearly 100% methinks) so he can be fit for Crossover or Eclectic (as a mixture of Hev and Symph).

I agree.

So, how do we call the eclectic team?

memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2010 at 18:52
Hi, what is the status of this suggestion? I've listened to the album and he truly deserves a place here.

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2011 at 10:28
I think that Crossover would be best for this band. I think PR would be a bit harsh, seeing as it is obviously prog, just not prog enough for symphonic. 

Edited by andyman1125 - April 04 2011 at 10:28
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2011 at 20:14
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

That's true Scott, "influences" means more things, not just "similarities". I agree with you.

BTW, if you (as a genre team) reject a suggestion thinking they could have a better chance for another genre, you need to post in that team thread and ask for a evaluation, giving link to the initial suggestion. Smile

Hi Harmonium.

Some time ago with Guigo and believe HT also, we notified the Crossover Team and Guigo said the would wait for the response of that team before suggesting Rodrigo to Prof Related.

I still believe Prog Related is the best place and don't find it harsh, great bands are there.

Iván

russellk View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2011 at 17:03
I can hear some of the influences. Certainly Porcupine Tree, also Oldfield in the guitar tone, chord changes and the juxtaposition of elements. I'm guessing all those influences were listed in order to increase traffic from searches.

I'm not sure where this music belongs. It's definitely prog rock. I would have said Eclectic myself, possibly crossover. It doesn't fulfill the requirements for prog-related.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>