Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGryphon fans, please help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gryphon fans, please help
    Posted: July 08 2010 at 12:40
I have a cd-r copy of the Gryphon's Treason original pressing cd (on C-Five label) and find it simply perfect when it comes to audio quality (not to mention it is great musically too), but it is quite difficult to find one of this available for sale nowadays.

I found a recent REMASTERED reissue of this cd, on Talking Elephant/Ieg label (2009), but must confess I'm very afraid of buying this, since the modern philosophy of remastering is of rising the volume of the recording up to very ((((LOUD)))) levels only, not rarely even ruining lots of great original pressings.

So my question is, has anybody here checked this new remastered edition of Gryphon's Treason? How does it sound compared with the original C-Five label pressing?

Thanks for your help.
Demetrio.

Edited by Progger58 - July 08 2010 at 12:44
pied piper View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2010 at 03:16
I didn't knew about this release. I own a C-Five release and it sounds brilliant; the problem is that I don't remember where I purchased (and this is strange enough, since I remember things such these)...

M.
Rottenhat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2010 at 11:48
Hmm, I often wonder about the sound quality of different CD releases. I wouldn't be a bad idea to dedicate a forum subgroup on the topic of sound quality in different realeases on PA, in my opinion. :) Can't help about the Gryphon release though.

I have the double CD of  "Red Queen to Gryphon Three/Raindance". The first albums sounds good, but the second sounds very muted in the highs. Don't know if the fault is in the mastering, or if the orginal was mixed that way.

Edited by Rottenhat - July 14 2010 at 22:34
Language is a virus from outer space.

-William S. Burroughs
 Post Reply Post Reply