Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBunChakeze album reviewed by AtomicCrimsonRush

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: BunChakeze album reviewed by AtomicCrimsonRush
    Posted: July 12 2010 at 14:14
RawksIn a few months time there will be an album release at last, from Odin and Bun Chakeze. 
Some of you know John Culley from Black Widow and Cressida? This was his next venture in 1982. Recordings made but never released.
It is GOOD and really quite unique.
Listen and comment and pass this on!http://www.reverbnation.com/bunchakeze

Edited by odinalcatraz - September 13 2010 at 22:15
http://www.corvusstone.com
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2010 at 03:42
Good stuff, I'll ask the Neo Prog team to evaluate this suggestion. Thumbs Up
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2010 at 03:46
Thanks!
The sound is dynamic and totally unique.

Bun Chakeze and Odin of London - worth a look 
odinalcatraz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2010 at 06:19
Thanks for that .Star
You were fast!
Colin
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2010 at 23:35
So is this being evaluated by Neo Prog team. Thats great

The band member Colin sent a PM stating:
"We really would love to be evaluated...
We are mostly on Facebook but also reverbnation so I guess you can hear everything there."
http://www.reverbnation.com/bunchakeze
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001209684129

I hope that the band gain some recognition as they have some great material and its genuine prog!

Cheers!

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - July 13 2010 at 23:36
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2010 at 12:41
Thumbs Up
I have started to re-edit the uploads. Midnight Skies is done, less confusing and longer. One does one's best.
http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_4573290
Ha ha!
Give this a listen prog guys. You won't be disappointed.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2010 at 20:56
Smile   http://www.reverbnation.com/artist/song_details/4587490?play_now=true

I have now uploaded a new edit of this piece and it makes a whole lot more sense now. Enjoy!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2010 at 08:23
I will eventually review your CDs here too so after a few listens will write them... 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2010 at 08:59
We really look forward to that Scott! Big smile
We hit number 10 in the London rock chart on reverbnation today Clap and that's not easy. Not in London! We hope to see  review while we're still riding high. How long can we do that I wonder?
You say you will also review it here. Not sure where the other place is?
Thanks again Scott
Colin and the band
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2010 at 05:53

Well after hearing the latest work from Bun Chakeze about 4 times its time to present some impressions. First impression, great Pink Floyd inspired beautiful ambient and polyrhthymic patterns. I wonder what the final mix will sound like...

Now my review of all the tracks:

Bun Chakeze album (a work in progress) “Whose Dream”

“Bun Chakeze” (instrumental) 1:57 – a short sharp shock of prog; fast tempo, blazing guitars, hammering keyboards and frenetic drumming. A good start to the day.

“Whose Dream” 4:03 - acoustic beauty, and nice gentle vocal delivery. Lyrics are reflective “your running on seas preparing to go whose dream are you dreaming,” you know it sounds like the vocal style of Pink Floyd’s ‘Pigs on the Wing’ at least the melody, but better vocal style than Roger Waters from Joey Lugassy. The ambience of sustained key pads and wind howling effect are terrific... ‘screaming and shouting outside they’re wild... pitching their tents just like a child...’ the lyrics are part of the emotive vibe and then the soaring guitars of Colin Tench take it to another level. A satisfactory track for certain.     

“Walk In Paradise” 6:53 – low droning synthesizer sounding like Gary Numan of the 80s, begins this and a crash of cymbals herald the lead guitars, sounding a bit like Steve Howe of Yes. The synth motif is joined by Lugassy’s vocals “darkness beckons me for the time has come, there’s a new horizon... angels take me where Ii have never been, I’ve been to paradise, it’s not a dream...” the time sig then changes direction and a harmonious feel sets in. Gilmour like guitars chime in. An enjoyable twin guitar passage follows and innovative percussion of Cliff Deighton. The time sig shifts again and the pace quickens considerably. There is a lot of prog noodling in this section, particularly the fractured guitar riffs and fret melting lead work. It slows again to a moderate pace. A true mini epic worth a listen.   

“Handful Of Rice” 5:08 – the piano is relentless on this and the vocals come in immediately and are more up in the mix. “With grave intent times were spent dancing on the streets..” the vocals continue, “once the winner once the sinner but who is counting now?” When he sings “in moments of silence” and whispers ‘silence’ it reminds me of Peter Hammill whispering ‘waterbabies’ in Van der Graf Generator. The Spanish flavour acoustics and erratic drum metrical patterns are wonderful. At times it feels like early Genesis, in fact the vocals sound as theatrical as Gabriel in places; “With a handful of rice we open the door when we pay the price we kept the score”. It continues into an impressive instrumental section and ends on high pitched synth notes. Another OK track.   

“Flight of the Phoenix” 6:19 – acoustic picking and ambient key pads opens this track. I like the guitar playing in particular here, reminiscent of the intro to many metal songs of the 80s. The vocals are quieter and melancholy. I like the feel of this which does not have a time sig to latch onto but is still mesmirising with long pauses in music. An improvised style guitar break on acoustic drives it. At 2:55 the drums crash in and lifts the atmosphere. It doesn’t build much from here for a while and could have done with some extra instruments to take it to the heights rather than staying on the same level. Eventually, the lead break is a good addition however, in fact the lead begins to soar and then there is a drum break and the pace goes into double time and is very quick till it suddenly ends. It is still a nice song but needs some mixing.   

“Midnight Skies” 6:22 – the show piece of the album perhaps. The vocals are higher in places like Gilmour has performed in recent years. The lead break takes off and sounds beautiful like ‘Comfortably Numb’. There is a quirky staccato guitar riff that grows on me. The majestic feel is echoed by lyrics about huge concepts, “dreams of peace are shattered all around...” It sounds like Gabriel again. The synth lines are great but the guitars especially blaze away on this with a phase effect and long sustained string bends, ala Gilmour. The lyrics are intriguing: “November 1964 rattlesnake boots at dawn by cannonballs shattering the peace.... run free as the wind under midnight skies”. The music fades and once again a very good track that can be improved with some mixing.

“Long Distance Runner” 6:07 – an infectious little guitar riff and a strong vocal;  “look at the world through hazy diamond eyes...  follow the footsteps of those from the past, they’ll show you the way to go”. There is a lot of vocalisations on this, non stop in places not allowing the music to breathe but its relentless pace settles with a divine synthesiser lead. This is a spacey section with Alex Foulcer’s piano, Tench’s echoing guitars and strong drumming from Deighton. Gary Derrick’s basslines are good when we hear those synth lines that sound like whales screeching similar to Pink Floyd’s “Echoes”.  Lugassy’s storytelling vocals return with: ”A prisoner in a king’s disguise, why chase the sun, a man whose life depends on the sound of a gun, now I know, I know there’s no turning back, close my eyes, shut out the light, prepare to attack attack attack attack...” Gabriel is channelled again and I love it. A great track by any standards.

Track 8 “The Deal” 7:45 – a very Pink Floyd like guitar riff reminiscent of the chugging riff in ‘Run Like Hell’ or ‘The Happiest days of our lives’... you know the one. It even features a helicopter effect mid way through just like on ‘The Wall’. I really like this one and it pays homage to Pink Floyd in the guitar lead style too. I love that lead break sound, a huge blast of notes. The lengthy instrumental break is excellent. The vocals are estranged and echoing like a psychedelic song. The loud thunder crashes are effective and echoing scratches on guitar. One of the highlights for sure and it will definitely remind listeners of various riffs from ‘The Wall’, and that’s not a bad thing. I like the lyrics too and the way they lock in to the various melodies; “Seem to be confused time to fade into, the words that you say, you can’t run away... Now you understand it’s taken from your hand... you’ve had your final deal”. The final instrumental section features spacey synth and innovative guitar flourishes. A wall of sound.

“Whose Dream Reprise (instrumental)” 2:15 – to end the album we return to the melodies of the title track. It is familiar now on my 4th listen and the album has definitely grown on me. The reprise brings the album full cycle.

In conclusion I liked a lot of this album, in particular the standout tracks are The Deal, Long Distance Runner, Midnight Skies, Walk In Paradise. Weakest tracks are Flight of the Phoenix and Handful Of Rice mainly due to mixing but can easily be improved remixed. Overall the album has a solid neo prog feel with shades of symphonic and crossover prog. I will listen to the earlier album by the Odin of London group later and review my impressions. Thanks for sending the CD Colin, it was a real treat!

Guy Duff View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2010 at 12:07
I've been listening to Odin and enjoying it thoroughly.  I grew up in the Bay area and my father used to be the GM for a cutting edge Rock station called KSAN, once known as Jive 95, and he was also executive VP for Metromedia.  Needless to say, I went to tons of concerts as a kid and especially when KSAN and Metromedia were coordinating with the legendary promoter Bill Graham and the King Biscuit Flower Hour. 

I grew up with about 10,000 albums in the house and it set a context for music listening.  Back in the 60's and 70's artist development was big and so was the flow of ever new original music and really experimental and innovative musicianship.

To me, Odin has all the best characteristics of what I still call the Rock renaissance, where genius was flowing.   This music captures great visions and for me brings back that spirit of musical exploration and takes me to the same places that Pink Floyd and in some ways the later Beatles take me.  There is that feeling that musical exploration and innovation is activated.    There is great musicality and it is clear a great musical intuition pervades the band.

One can only wonder where the journey would have gone had the Music Machien not chewed up and spit out what probably is one of the greatest innovative Rock Bands to come through England and the world really.

I hope the Internet will revive a new breed of innovative, challenging, and musically sophisticated music creation and a band like Odin of London certainly would set the standard for that if they were enabled to pickup where they left off. 

Guy Duff
Pure Light

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2010 at 17:35
Clap
My god!
I have just started getting around this site and have seen and read some of your other reviews. It would take me forever just to read them all! You deserve the utmost respect for all that work. Impossible if you didn't enjoy it. I assume that with all reviews you take exactly the same approach? Of course, I can see that you give star ratings and I assume that is because they are released albums? I hope we can get into a position on here to get that kind of exposure. You would understand that exposure is everything(if you have something worthwhile to offer of course). ptkc123  has asked to be allowed to review us too. I guess someone found us. Ha ha!
Thankyou again.
Colin

The Monodrone View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2010 at 11:29
Originally posted by odinalcatraz odinalcatraz wrote:

Clap
My god!
I have just started getting around this site and have seen and read some of your other reviews. It would take me forever just to read them all! You deserve the utmost respect for all that work. Impossible if you didn't enjoy it. I assume that with all reviews you take exactly the same approach? Of course, I can see that you give star ratings and I assume that is because they are released albums? I hope we can get into a position on here to get that kind of exposure. You would understand that exposure is everything(if you have something worthwhile to offer of course). ptkc123  has asked to be allowed to review us too. I guess someone found us. Ha ha!
Thankyou again.
Colin

Yes, I can't wait to hear it Colin! Smile

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2010 at 21:03
Whose Dream by Bun Chakeze

Cosisting of Joey Lugassy (vocals), Colin Tench (guitars, synths, backing vocals), Gary Derrick (bass, bass pedals), Cliff Deighton (drums) and Alex Foulcer (piano), Bun Chakeze show a lot of skill and strength with this particular album, Whose Dream.

It's safe to say that this is definitely a progressive band, and a virtuosic one at that.  Bun Chakeze have the ability to write biting, fast, aggressive pieces of music (see the track "Bun Chakeze [Instrumental]") and quickly shift into serene and highly melodic phases (see "Whose Dream").  A note is never wasted with guitarist and backing vocalist Colin Tench, who is always on top of his game, filling in spaces with his rich guitar sounds, somewhat reminiscent of David Gilmour in Pink Floyd's heyday.  Not mentioning vocalist Joey Lugassy would be in bad taste, as he has a very dreamy, ethereal voice that blends in well with the rest of the band, especially on their softer pieces.  His vocals can also become a bit aggressive, which fits in extremely well when this is utilized to mesh with the music. Gary Derrick and Cliff Deighton add a very solid rhythm section on bass guitar and drums, respectively.  Alex Foulcer (piano) adds a nice atmosphere to the tracks he's featured on with his tasteful and tight piano playing.

Though the instrumentation is definitely the band's highest focus and they seem to be very successful at such, one aspect that the band may want to improve on is lyrics.  But that is such a minor issue that it doesn't put a significant damper on the band's overall sound and execution at all.

Regarding influences, it's somewhat hard to say who Bun Chakeze's are.  A significant amount of Pink Floyd perhaps, maybe some Rush, and a helping of 80's pop a la Kansas is probably the best way to describe the sound, though that still doesn't serve them justice. Regarding their at-times intense instrumentation, Yes has probably been an influence more-or-less.  I also hear a bit of Peter Hammill, and to a lesser extent Van der Graaf Generator.  Neo-prog, and perhaps Symph Prog is what most will probably classify this as.

But the real fact here is that Bun Chakeze have made an original sound of their own, and a quite eclectic and enjoyable album with 'Whose Dream.'  The album gets better with each listen and is a grower rather than being super-accessible on the first few listens.    

Very good job with this one Colin and Co.; I really enjoyed it! Keep making good music for music's sake!

Highlights: "Bun Chakeze," "Whose Dream," "Flight of the Phoenix" and the dark, atmospheric "The Deal."

Clap

--Jordan

Edited by ptkc123 - August 16 2010 at 21:05

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2010 at 12:33
Odin (of London) CD Review

Odin were a six piece band that consisted of Colin Tench (guitar), John Culley (guitar),

Gary Derrick (Bass), Cliff Deighton (drums), Derek Sanderson (keyboards) and Carl Lucas

(vocals); Tony Butler is featured on vocals on track 1.

While Odin sound similar to Bun Chakeze, they're definitely more in the vein of hard

rock/pop tinged with some progressive influences.  On this CD there are two different

versions of the song "Alcatraz." I personally prefer the track that features Carl Lucas,

who sings on the majority of the songs (minus track one).  Carl Lucas seems to fit the

band's hard rock/pop sound better than Tony Butl  John Culley and Colin Tench are probably

the two most prominent members of the band.  Their guitar playing really adds a nice but never

too-simple aspect to the rhythm section playing behind them.  Derek Sanderson's keyboards

are often-times atmospheric and quite beautiful.  Gary Derrick's bass guitar and Cliff

Deighton's percussion are audible and strong enough to a certain 'punchiness' to the

band's sound.

Odin seem to have been influenced by hard rock in general, and the band also have a

noticeable 1980's pop element infused with their sound.  Some progressive tendencies and

technicality push the band past just a normal "hard rock" outfit into perhaps prog-related

territory, or quite possibly crossover prog.

The songwriting is quite strong and heartfelt on this CD, and seems a bit of an

improvement from Bun Chakeze's lyrical subjects.  The band structure their songs

skillfully and that's mostly where they seem to excel.

The CD is enjoyable enough, even though it can feel a little generic at times.  The

musicianship is visible and it's clear that the members all have a strong connection when

it's comes to playing music together.  Nice job from Odin!

Highlights include: "Catherine," "Dead of Night," and "Alcatraz (Luke)."

Good job with this one, guys!
Big smile

--Jordan

Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2010 at 11:20
Bun Chakeze is a talented quintet and I quite enjoyed their album, Whose Dream.  By far the best aspect for me are the various guitar textures throughout- so many great tones and so many well-chosen notes.  But great guitar-playing goes nowhere without a good rhythm section and other musicians to fill out the sound.  However, this band goes above and beyond adequate background music.  These gentlemen sound like they work well together, able to provide solid progressive music while allowing each member to shine in his time.  The vocalist sounds like John Elefante of Kansas in the 1980s, which some might consider a failing, but I certainly don’t.  As far as genre labels go, I think neo-prog fits the most comfortably, but that is not to say that this album suffers from any lack of variety or copycat syndrome.  That opening instrumental, though brief, offers fresh and exciting music.  I love the bursts of bass and guitar.  “Whose Dream” is a gentler song with ethereally masculine vocals- the initial frostiness of the track makes me think of Camel.  The screaming guitar that enters is brilliant.  Bluesy synthesizer opens “Walk in Paradise,” which leaps into more skillful guitar bits.  I’m not crazy about the wild vocal explosions, but soon the music moves into a more pleasing, R.E.M.-like passage.  In “Handful of Rice,” I hear a fusion of Genesis, Renaissance, and Van der Graaf Generator- somewhat theatrical, mysterious, and enticing.  However, the Hispanic electric guitar runs and percussion sets it apart from all three of these bands.  Lovely acoustic guitar greets the listener in “Flight of the Phoenix.”  The piece gains some intensity as the rest of the band enters, and once again the lead guitar is amazing- the instrumental excursion here is like Pink Floyd on their best day.  My only gripe with this song is the abruptly weak ending.  “Midnight Skies” is a moderate song with both clean and gritty electric guitars, again evoking latter-day Pink Floyd in a number of ways.  “Long Distance Runner” is one of those strange cases where everybody individually seems to be doing everything right, but as a whole, it just doesn’t grab my attention.  Sure it is a pleasant piece, but it does not go anywhere particularly exciting.  “The Deal” is the darkest piece on the album, sounding like a cross between something that belongs on Pink Floyd’s The Wall and early Marillion.  The album closes with an instrumental reprise of the title track, and features riveting guitar once again.  Well done, guys- I’m impressed.

(As a side note, the artwork on the back with the track listing definitely needs tweaking, as it is so dark it is very difficult to read some of the titles).

lploco1129 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2010 at 07:24
Its Great To Know that Bunchakeze The Band is getting Recognition now!!
My Cousin Joey sang With The Band back in the Mid 80s when he lived in London Know he lives In California But is very interested in meeting with his former band Mates.

I really enjoyed what i heard of the band sounding some what like Pink Floyd But with an original Twist an that is rare and to me is a band i would like to hear much more and possibly see touring here in The States
Cheers
Juan C Gonzalez Azancot

lploco1129 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2010 at 07:35
Colin were can i  Buy the Bunchakeze Cd Please?
thank You
Juan

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2010 at 09:15
Juan!
Don't think I ever met you.  We are working on the release now but we want to get it right. The master seems to be ready now and it should be late september at best guess. We waited a long time for this and it we want it to be damn good. Of course, it is damn good! Have you voted for us in the song contest and have we got contact details of yours? Joey must  have.
If you can vote on www.youbloom.com we have a very good chance of being in the final 24 out of over 1000 starters(mostly pop of course).It could be very important for us Juan.
Of course, everything else we have is on www.reverbnation.com and that's our main hub and where we need constant support right now.
So pleased to get your message!!!!
Colin, Joey and the band

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2010 at 12:09
"Whose Dream" has finally been released officially on http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/bunchakeze2 and soon will be out on itunes Amazon etc.
This is a good day indeed!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>