Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBunChakeze album reviewed by AtomicCrimsonRush

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2010 at 23:29
Bun Chakeze's new album as an official release is something to get excited about on http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/bunchakeze2

I love it when music comes out from bands who actually frequent this site and care about the prog scene. Well done to the group for this. Hope to get hold of it soon and review it.

Marty McFly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2010 at 06:00
Well, from what I've heard (on myspace), I'm very positive. And so I voted YES for Crossover. Along with Windhawk Olav's YES vote, we need one more to go. I would be glad if the band decided to give promo of the album for reviews Wink
There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
odinalcatraz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2010 at 06:16
Smile
Of course there is a promo for reviews Marty ! Thankyou for your vote and of course windhawk Olav's.
Where would you like me to send one?
http://www.corvusstone.com
Marty McFly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2010 at 18:23
I wrote you a PM Colin. Thanks for offer.
There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2010 at 14:03
BunChakeze have been added :-)
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
Bytor View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2010 at 04:49
Hey All
I was lucky enough to see this band as Odin, back in the 80's. Didn't understand why they were not playing bigger venues. First class all round.
I was amazed to see them on the front page So had to check them out.I have listened to three of the tracks samples. This was enough for me to download them.

Bunchakeze
Is a straight ahead instrumental track. A fast paced piece that , lets all the band play, they all play as apposed to having  a lead part. ( no fancy guitar w**king, just a melody) a great start to the CD.

Whose Dream
This is a laid back track that flows from the start. some very pleasing vocal from Joey Lugassy. 
the track lifts when the solo guitar comes in, the tempo changes, the song takes on another level.
More vocals The tempo returns to that of the start , and leaves you with a very pleasing experience. Recommend  you listen to this song.

Walk in Paradise
Starts with Bass pedals an synth. some crashing guitars. Then followed by a sequenced riff the whole band are in, they could have quite easily used a sequencer for this part, but thats not cricket is it!
As the vocals come in, in time with the riff. Then as with a Rush track just as you get used to it, the whole thing changes. The chorus follows  in a different time signature. Then to short  guitar part. Another timing change to middle eight part, It very cleverly speeds up after ever line that is sung. This brings the band up to speed for the guitar break, it stows using the guitar riff, and returns to the chorus. Then to a kind of dream sequence Acoustic guitar, and piano.
The band is brought back in by a bass run " Don't go to sleep, for the thoughts that you keep, run into the night"  the dream feel carries on  till the guitar plays out. this song make you listen, because as you get into it, they change it. Even after 3 songs I am glad I downloaded it .

Handful of Rice
Acoustic guitar start, with vocal flawlessly changes to electric as the band join in. I found the lyrics intriguing.

Flight of the Phoenix
Another acoustic track, lyrics sound very mystical "Glowing lanterns light the way, through the darkness people say the path is long" I feel this song is probably  a story of something that happened to the band or a member of the band. Sometimes you make your own mind about what the lyrics mean in a song. I would love to know what this was about. It is a great song but the end s very strange and it does not make sense to me. An acoustic track with a fast piece at the end. It ends with the words " fly like a phoenix in a cloudless sky, clock stops" if anyone from the band could explain this to me I would love to know.

Midnight Skies.
This has got to be my favourite track. It starts with a strange guitar almost reggae feel. This defiantly is a story. I talk's of, 14.000 red men, travelling to Laramie. Covering a period in history, between 1851 and 1862. I played this track 3 times 1 after the other. It has an interesting middle, with a mock battle. The music carries the song but not detract from the feel of the story being told.
This band never seem to want to try to outdo each other. They just play for the greater good.
Everyone plays their part, even the vocal appear to be treated like an instrument would be.
I find this refreshing, for a band to play as one, instead of 4 people.

Long distance Runner

This is another song that has dream feel to it. Is that why the CD is called who's dream?
"When your first you first ,but  seconds nowhere" i think this sums it up defiantly First.

The Deal 
Fantastic atmospheric track ,you can feel yourself running along with it.  I listened through cans, ( It rolls around in your head,) very much in the Floyd vain, but somehow different. 
I notice no drums, but this does not detract from the impact. This track although nothing like the material I remember from the previous band, has me hooked already.

Reprise
Another instrumental piece the music version of Whose Dream

In all I iam glad to have this on my Ipod, and feel privileged to have found this band after all these years, I was just a face in the crowd then.Also I have one of their posters. somewhere
I stole it From The Stapleton in North London  Recommended Listening I say.

Bytor North London

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12