Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Do the Beatles get too much credit..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 23>
Poll Question: See opening post for question.
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
48 [32.88%]
95 [65.07%]
3 [2.05%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2020 at 13:44
After just watching the wonderful documentary on Amazon called Standing in the Shadows of Motown--the story of Berry Gordy's "Funk Brothers" at Detroit's Hitsville studio--I find my opinion changing to ever-so slightly diminish the truly innovative effect that the band and George Martin had. They were perfect conduits of the time, synthesizing many influences and many technologies. 
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2020 at 14:06
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

After just watching the wonderful documentary on Amazon called Standing in the Shadows of Motown--the story of Berry Gordy's "Funk Brothers" at Detroit's Hitsville studio--I find my opinion changing to ever-so slightly diminish the truly innovative effect that the band and George Martin had. They were perfect conduits of the time, synthesizing many influences and many technologies. 

Hi,

Drew, now watch the GM special ... I think you will like it ... I did not include "Detroit" in my posting, because in all honesty I was not as well versed about it as I would like to be.

(the other posts)

Where I think the Beatles and rolling Stones made a huge impression was to bust down the control of the recording industry that was owned by the film studios, who had for many years not printed albums by "black musicians" because they were thought to not sell in the next town! Instead these companies supported their own "artists", a lot of them in film already and the money stayed in house.

When the Chicago scene opened up, and obviously the Detroit scene probably at the same time, it really blew things down quickly ... wait a minute ... that's half a million people in that show ... any band that will sell 100K will make us a bunch ... and so on. And all of a sudden another record by Bing Crosby was not that big a deal anymore! And when the Beatles and Stones and others started topping 1 million in sales, you knew that the studios were stupid.

In a commercial sense, then, both Beatles, Rolling Stones and other bands that came out of the original Pirate Radio and such, were probably real valuable and deserve the credit for their very original and obviously attractive material. 

And in a sort of mini-history, the scenes everywhere else took hold .... and you and I know the rest is history!

Edited by moshkito - March 23 2020 at 14:15
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2020 at 15:35
Largely true--  what they did best was a sort of mimicry of popular music, a sampling of all the significant songs, styles, eras and performers of the 20th century.   On the other hand it was much more than that.   They were musically liberated which allowed them incredible flexibility, and they continued to evolve and remain fresh.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2020 at 17:29
I love the Beatles. I grew up with them and they were the first band I got into. However, yes they do get too much credit especially compared to other bands. Everyone and their 80 year old grandmother knows who the Beatles are can probably name some of their songs(including the 80 year old grandmother). Heck she can be 9 or 100 and still know the Beatles and their songs but not know who U2, Pink Floyd, Rush or Led Zeppelin are. Or even the Rolling Syones. That's kind of messed up if you ask me. The Beatles are one of those bands who have been overexposed beyond belief. If anyone deserves it it's them but they still get way too much credit sometimes for things they had nothing or very little to do with. 
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2020 at 18:08
I dunno. What kind of credit do they get? World's greatest pop rock band? That's well founded. They did allow art rock to breakthrough with Sgt Peppers. Not sure what TOO much means

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2020 at 19:02
^ I've heard bigger claims than that: Most original, most innovative, most influential, never mind the past 60 or so years, best ever period, the greatest musicians ever. Also, I've found the Beatles credited with inventing tape-loop techniques, and other innovations, which they borrowed/ adapted from musique-concrete composers. My primary focus was on claims of origination and innovation. If no one had ever given undue credit to the Beatles, it would be remarkable.

Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

They deserve every shred of credit.

That's where my biggest disagreement in this thread lies. They deserve lots of credit, but not credit for every claim that has ever been made by an individual, or that an individual might make. I found an article in response to him before which was replete with hyperbole, but unfortunately the link is dead. I shall now credit the Beatles with inventing jazz, ragtime, musicals, Western and Indian classical music, folk music, Greek tragedies, were the actual writers of On the Origin of Species, engineered the Corona virus and developed the atomic bomb.

Edited by Logan - March 23 2020 at 19:20
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2020 at 19:58
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

^ I've heard bigger claims than that: Most original, most innovative, most influential, never mind the past 60 or so years, best ever period, the greatest musicians ever. Also, I've found the Beatles credited with inventing tape-loop techniques, and other innovations, which they borrowed/ adapted from musique-concrete composers. My primary focus was on claims of origination and innovation. If no one had ever given undue credit to the Beatles, it would be remarkable.

That's where my biggest disagreement in this thread lies. They deserve lots of credit, but not credit for every claim that has ever been made by an individual, or that an individual might make. I found an article in response to him before which was replete with hyperbole, but unfortunately the link is dead. I shall now credit the Beatles with inventing jazz, ragtime, musicals, Western and Indian classical music, folk music, Greek tragedies, were the actual writers of On the Origin of Species, engineered the Corona virus and developed the atomic bomb.

Ah, i get your drift. You know i think the Beatles were very inventive in how they stitched together different styles of music and applied them to catchy pop hooks in a rock format however they probably BORROWED more than they created. They definitely deserve credit for what they achieved but there wouldn't be any Beatles without all the influences that came before. They were just born into the right place and time and had the help of the music industry to make them rise to the top.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2020 at 20:14
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Ah, i get your drift. You know i think the Beatles were very inventive in how they stitched together different styles of music and applied them to catchy pop hooks in a rock format however they probably BORROWED more than they created. They definitely deserve credit for what they achieved but there wouldn't be any Beatles without all the influences that came before. They were just born into the right place and time and had the help of the music industry to make them rise to the top.

Well said, and understood. They were more innovative than originative. They were great adapters, and took those influences and techniques and wrapped them into something new, in a sense, that was popular and really influential. I am a fan of the Beatles. And there are those who don't give the Beatles (including those who helped them to realise the projects) near enough credit. I do consider the Beatles to be the greatest pop rock band and major force, so influential, in modern music -- at least in the West, I can't speak for every nation in the world, but surely it has had a huge world impact.

Edited by Logan - March 23 2020 at 20:19
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2020 at 21:12

I had gone to a Beatles history presentation, and the speaker categorically claimed that the Beatles were the most important, the greatest, best, the most innovative and originative music-makers ever, but he didn't back-up those assertions well. I thought he was overrating the Beatles, and it came across as pure fanboy service. I would have liked to hear his arguments. He wasn't a historian or a music professor, but he was a famous name in music presenting, and a well-known media personality in Vancouver. It doesn't mean he was necessarily wrong, but I did not find his statements convincing (he acted like it was obvious and needed no explaining). I said, "What about Bach, can one objectively claim that the Beatles are greater than Bach?"

But you know, Bach is a bad example from that standpoint.  Bach developed and advanced techniques and styles rather than originating them.  Likewise could arguably be said of Mozart and Beethoven but they tend to be the three names people think of when they think of classical composers.  Does anybody actually go around thinking that is a grave injustice? I for one don't. Because the granular detail of who originated what technique doesn't determine who was the most influential and impactful of composers and all three have a strong claim in that light (though Handel's is equally strong).  I would say it's much the same when it comes to Beatles.  

There is absolutely no way to draw a straight line from classical to rock and compare the level of influence (and I would always put jazz, blues and the motown genres in separate categories as well).  To that extent, yes, the speaker was going over the top if he claimed Beatles to be the best that MUSIC per se has to offer.  But wouldn't that claim be equally ludicrous if any other band or artist (or indeed classical composer) was substituted in place of Beatles? There is no one single artist who can lay claim to such a wildly over the top set of superlatives.  

Now the question is how many such people though have regurgitated that Vancouver guy's claims about Beatles?  I know a lot of Beatles fans, being one myself, and I don't believe in those claims myself. In this entire thread, Floydman might possibly have been the only one who would have subscribed to such claims. So is it fair to say Beatles get overrated because one Vancouver dude decided to give an over the top talk about them?
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2020 at 22:34
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

I had gone to a Beatles history presentation, and the speaker categorically claimed that the Beatles were the most important, the greatest, best, the most innovative and originative music-makers ever, but he didn't back-up those assertions well. I thought he was overrating the Beatles, and it came across as pure fanboy service. I would have liked to hear his arguments. He wasn't a historian or a music professor, but he was a famous name in music presenting, and a well-known media personality in Vancouver. It doesn't mean he was necessarily wrong, but I did not find his statements convincing (he acted like it was obvious and needed no explaining). I said, "What about Bach, can one objectively claim that the Beatles are greater than Bach?"

But you know, Bach is a bad example from that standpoint.  Bach developed and advanced techniques and styles rather than originating them.  Likewise could arguably be said of Mozart and Beethoven but they tend to be the three names people think of when they think of classical composers.  Does anybody actually go around thinking that is a grave injustice? I for one don't. Because the granular detail of who originated what technique doesn't determine who was the most influential and impactful of composers and all three have a strong claim in that light (though Handel's is equally strong).  I would say it's much the same when it comes to Beatles.  

There is absolutely no way to draw a straight line from classical to rock and compare the level of influence (and I would always put jazz, blues and the motown genres in separate categories as well).  To that extent, yes, the speaker was going over the top if he claimed Beatles to be the best that MUSIC per se has to offer.  But wouldn't that claim be equally ludicrous if any other band or artist (or indeed classical composer) was substituted in place of Beatles? There is no one single artist who can lay claim to such a wildly over the top set of superlatives.  

Now the question is how many such people though have regurgitated that Vancouver guy's claims about Beatles?  I know a lot of Beatles fans, being one myself, and I don't believe in those claims myself. In this entire thread, Floydman might possibly have been the only one who would have subscribed to such claims. So is it fair to say Beatles get overrated because one Vancouver dude decided to give an over the top talk about them?

Yes, it's not just one, but even if just one individual was found to have overrated any aspect of the significance of the Beatles, then the band has been given too much credit. What I've been saying in this thread is that everything is overrated and underrated (meaning given too much credit or too little credit) by someone. I know I've been overrated by people like my wife -- most intelligent perhaps I can understand, but sexiest man alive? Maybe to her I am, but objectively speaking, well, hmm, okay, bad example.

This is a famous in these parts Vancouver dude who had a large audience, not that that matters in the least. My example would stand if he was a drunk asking for money on some street corner while extolling the supposed virtues of the Beatles. Bach was what I thought of at the time, and I mentioned Stockhausen, rather pretentiously. That was in reference to his claim that the Beatles were the greatest music-makers, or composers, of all time, not in terms of origination. I know well how Bach advanced techniques and how other composers built on him, so I wasn't claiming that Bach was more original.   

I have found others who have made equally poor claims. There was an online article, now missing, full of such hyperbole. I went through a Beatles fan forum and also found all sorts of dubious claims, and I have heard claims that the Beatles were the first to use tape-loops and such things, which in fact they borrowed from musique concrète composers -- first in popular music, okay. I don't import much significance to these claims, people often aren't terribly rational, intelligent, or knowledgeable, and we all make mistakes. Some learn better from their mistakes than others and are better at and more interested in research. Many people spout uninformed opinions about all sorts of things -- sometimes I do.

You're right, such claims would be ridiculous when it comes to any artist, and that's kind of been my point.

That was but one example used as an illustration, but like I also said in that much longer post:

"I voted yes, but were the question "Are the Beatles underrated", I also would have voted yes as I am convinced that one could find examples of people overrating and underrating the Beatles. When I use the term overrating, I mean specifically giving credit where credit may well not be due.

Really, I was more into exploring notions of overratedness and underratedness/ general claims of merit, than the Beatles themselves, but with the Beatles being such an influential and important band, it seemed a good one to use as an example to explore that and share some of my thoughts. I've delved into specific claims in the thread.... As I often say, I'm not an absolutist, and I don't believe anything with absolute certainty, including the statement that I don't believe anything with absolute certainty. Some may have taken it as an attack on the Beatles, but on the contrary, I chose the Beatles as an example because of how important to modern music they have been. Methinks most everyone underrates and overrates something."

This thread was a reaction at the time to people making claims of greatness, using terms such as underrated and overrated, best and worst, which I find issue with and had hoped to use this topic as a springboard to explore those notions -- my epistemological concerns.   The poll itself was intended as a somewhat humorous accessory, and the approach itself done in a rather light-hearted fashion I had hoped at the time, and I had recently been to that the Beatles rather "tragical history tour".

Edited by Logan - March 23 2020 at 23:16
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2020 at 23:22

Yes, it's not just one, but even if just one individual was found to have overrated any aspect of the significance of the Beatles, then the band has been given too much credit. What I've been saying in this thread is that everything is overrated and underrated (meaning given too much credit or too little credit) by someone. I know I've been overrated by people like my wife -- most intelligent perhaps I can understand, but sexiest man alive? Maybe to her I am, but objectively speaking, well, hmm, okay, bad example.

This is a famous in these parts Vancouver dude who had a very large audience. Bach was what I thought of at the time, and I mentioned Stockhausen, rather pretentiously. That was in reference to his claim that the Beatles were the greatest music-makers, or composers, of all time, not in terms of origination. I know well how Bach advanced techniques and how other composers built on him, so I wasn't claiming that Bach was more original.   

I have found others who have made equally poor claims. There was an online article, now missing, full of such hyperbole. I went through a Beatles fan forum and also found all sorts of dubious claims, and I have heard claims that the Beatles were the first to use tape-loops and such things, which in fact they borrowed from musique concrète composers -- first in popular music, okay.

You're right, such claims would be ridiculous when it comes to any artist, and that's kind of been my point.

That was but one example used as an illustration, but like I also said in that much longer post:

"I voted yes, but were the question "Are the Beatles underrated", I also would have voted yes as I am convinced that one could find examples of people overrating and underrating the Beatles. When I use the term overrating, I mean specifically giving credit where credit may well not be due.

Really, I was more into exploring notions of overratedness and underratedness/ general claims of merit, than the Beatles themselves, but with the Beatles being such an influential and important band, it seemed a good one to use as an example to explore that and share some of my thoughts. I've delved into specific claims in the thread.... As I often say, I'm not an absolutist, and I don't believe anything with absolute certainty, including the statement that I don't believe anything with absolute certainty. Some may have taken it as an attack on the Beatles, but on the contrary, I chose the Beatles as an example because of how important to modern music they have been. Methinks most everyone underrates and overrates something."

This thread was a reaction at the time to people making claims of greatness, using terms such as underrated and overrated, best and worst, which I find issue with and had hoped to use this topic as a springboard to explore those notions -- my epistemological concerns.   The poll itself was intended as a somewhat humorous accessory, and the approach itself done in a rather light-hearted fashion I had hoped at the time, and I had recently been to that the Beatles rather "tragical history tour".

Hmm, I tend to interpret overrated/underrated very differently. I see the totality of claims made about the band and make a judgment as to whether I feel a band is overrated or not.  That is, that I would not call a band overrated because ONE person, however influential he may be, thinks it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. I am looking at overall critical opinion of the band/artist and whether that meets the objectivity-within-subjectivity tests.  Again, on a Beatles fansite, there are bound to be hyperbolic claims just as there would be on a Pink Floyd fansite or on that of almost any major artist.  That's the nature of fandom itself.  They also tend to form a strong collective where even slightly negative opinions on one aspect of the artist (or just one work) can be met with severe censure and that makes it hard for anybody who is a fan of a bunch of artists as opposed to just one or two to hang around for too long in such spaces.  As an example, I am a huge fan of Ilayaraja (something I have mentioned on and off in this space too) but I cut down interactions on a forum of Ilayaraja fans (and they in turn with me) because I was not prepared to adhere to their requirements of cultist worship of the ground he treads.  

So I rather tend to look at opinions in places such as PA (as well as professional critics and magazines that aggregate their articles).  In that context, I would regard critical opinion in favour of Beatles as only a little over the top (as plenty of time in turn is devoted in turn to Rolling Stones, Dylan, Doors and other big name rock bands of the 60s).  Whereas some of the claims AGAINST Beatles that I have come across (Pierro Scaruffi's essays being a classic example) were pretty far removed from reality, much like Barking Weasel's rants on this thread.  This is how I have come to the conclusion that while yes some fanboys may credit Beatles with things they have not achieved, in general, they get about as much credit as they deserve.  

What would I categorise as overrated in rock?  Probably Guns N Roses.  Much is made of the impact and influence of Appetite for Destruction but most of it doesn't have a factual basis.  Yes, they were hugely popular and have a fan following to this day, those I have never denied.  But for a band to be influential, it has to bring something fresh to the table. Being at best an 80s update of Aerosmith (in a decade in which Aerosmith was well alive and active) was not going to get very far in terms of giving a new direction to other bands.  It is no wonder that new directions in rock in the 90s - be it mainstream metal via Metallica, grunge via the Seattle Four or alt rock/Brit pop led by U2/REM/Radiohead - had little if anything to do with GNR.  It was a band propped up with assiduous promotion by labels and perhaps as a result, rock journos feel compelled to defend this choice till date.  Notice the difference in the promotion of Beatles and GNR.  GNR was promoted as 'authentic' from day one even though the band had a major label signing just a year after they were formed.  Whereas the Beatles at the height of their popularity abandoned the prim and proper image they had been promoted in and took huge risks because they wanted to, not because the machine told them to.  
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2020 at 00:30
Without the Beatles there would be no flora or fauna.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2020 at 00:37
^

Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

This is a famous in these parts Vancouver dude who had a very large audience.   Bach was what I thought of at the time, and I mentioned Stockhausen, rather pretentiously. That was in reference to his claim that the Beatles were the greatest music-makers, or composers, of all time, not in terms of origination. I know well how Bach advanced techniques and how other composers built on him, so I wasn't claiming that Bach was more original.   

I have found others who have made equally poor claims. There was an online article, now missing, full of such hyperbole. I went through a Beatles fan forum and also found all sorts of dubious claims, and I have heard claims that the Beatles were the first to use tape-loops and such things, which in fact they borrowed from musique concrète composers -- first in popular music, okay.

Hmm, I tend to interpret overrated/underrated very differently. I see the totality of claims made about the band and make a judgment as to whether I feel a band is overrated or not.  That is, that I would not call a band overrated because ONE person, however influential he may be, thinks it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. I am looking at overall critical opinion of the band/artist and whether that meets the objectivity-within-subjectivity tests.  Again, on a Beatles fansite, there are bound to be hyperbolic claims just as there would be on a Pink Floyd fansite or on that of almost any major artist.  That's the nature of fandom itself.  They also tend to form a strong collective where even slightly negative opinions on one aspect of the artist (or just one work) can be met with severe censure and that makes it hard for anybody who is a fan of a bunch of artists as opposed to just one or two to hang around for too long in such spaces.  As an example, I am a huge fan of Ilayaraja (something I have mentioned on and off in this space too) but I cut down interactions on a forum of Ilayaraja fans (and they in turn with me) because I was not prepared to adhere to their requirements of cultist worship of the ground he treads.  

So I rather tend to look at opinions in places such as PA (as well as professional critics and magazines that aggregate their articles).  In that context, I would regard critical opinion in favour of Beatles as only a little over the top (as plenty of time in turn is devoted in turn to Rolling Stones, Dylan, Doors and other big name rock bands of the 60s).  Whereas some of the claims AGAINST Beatles that I have come across (Pierro Scaruffi's essays being a classic example) were pretty far removed from reality, much like Barking Weasel's rants on this thread.  This is how I have come to the conclusion that while yes some fanboys may credit Beatles with things they have not achieved, in general, they get about as much credit as they deserve.  

What would I categorise as overrated in rock?  Probably Guns N Roses.  Much is made of the impact and influence of Appetite for Destruction but most of it doesn't have a factual basis.  Yes, they were hugely popular and have a fan following to this day, those I have never denied.  But for a band to be influential, it has to bring something fresh to the table. Being at best an 80s update of Aerosmith (in a decade in which Aerosmith was well alive and active) was not going to get very far in terms of giving a new direction to other bands.  It is no wonder that new directions in rock in the 90s - be it mainstream metal via Metallica, grunge via the Seattle Four or alt rock/Brit pop led by U2/REM/Radiohead - had little if anything to do with GNR.  It was a band propped up with assiduous promotion by labels and perhaps as a result, rock journos feel compelled to defend this choice till date.  Notice the difference in the promotion of Beatles and GNR.  GNR was promoted as 'authentic' from day one even though the band had a major label signing just a year after they were formed.  Whereas the Beatles at the height of their popularity abandoned the prim and proper image they had been promoted in and took huge risks because they wanted to, not because the machine told them to.  

That's fair.

I interpret overrated and underrated in different ways -- partially it depends on the context of others, and sometimes I choose the specific context I wish to use. Sometimes I use it in reference to individuals, sometimes to groups. It doesn't really matter as long as one specifies the usage, or it's clear in the context to me, and a reasonably sound argument can be presented to support it. I do seem to use it rather differently than some. To some it seems to be a purely subjective opinion without specification or defined parameters, whereas I like to look to very specific claims and see if those have merit. To some it seems to simply be "Others don't like this as much as I do, therefore they are underrating it" and vice versa. I find that strange, and am not sure why then that person might not seem to think that he might in fact be overrating it (I guess he's overrating his opinion-- Dunning-Kruger effect related mayhaps). We all find different value in things and that is subjective, but one can assess merits by assessing specific claims quite objectively.

I can't actually think of any bands/composers I consider to be overrated or underrated by the majority right now. And if that exists, it would likely be because some verifiable non-truth, or dubious accepted belief, has become widely accepted.

Of course one would expect hyperbolic claims at fan sites, which is why I looked them up. You can find some funny stuff from the fanboys. And it gave grist for my part in the old debating game.

I think there are many valid perspectives and approaches to take when approaching a topic such as this, and I like to see people's creativity, and logic, or just plain humour, in action when it comes to the approach. My approach may be seen as a bit cheap, one might say, as this would work for every band under the sun as I always recognised, and more, but that approach also comes from my rather peculiar sense of play. It doesn't make it wrong, nor really wry, actually.
I prefer an honest search for truth to debate, which is why I prefer dialectic, as debating tends to be about winning points, but I may have framed the topic in a rather sneaky way.

Since this topic was a reaction to individuals at PA bandying about terms such as greatest, best, worst, overrated, underrated (still happens overmuch methinks), looking to individuals as examples of giving too much credit, instead of talking more generally, seemed to fit my agenda. Plus, since I like to look to specifics as much as possible when assessing other's assessments of merits, using individual claims worked better for me. I'm not knowledgeable enough to assess general opinion, and would have to see the data in some cases (graphs, spreadsheets, polls, research studies). Finding people being wrong on the internet though, that's not too big a challenge. :)

By the way, I had edited my past post, and added in one line I rather liked for the picture it created in my head. It added nothing of real substance. "This is a famous in these parts Vancouver dude who had a very large audience. My example would stand if he was a drunk asking for money on some street corner while extolling the supposed virtues of the Beatles." I've had such a thing happen to me before, only he was more like ranting about non-music related things, so not really very similar at all. I gave him a quarter and this just seemed to get him more agitated.

Edited by Logan - March 24 2020 at 01:04
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2020 at 01:33
The Beatles taught me everything I know about pan-sauces.

Thanks Macca.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2020 at 02:28
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

The Beatles taught me everything I know about pan-sauces.

Thanks Macca.
Fry Baby Fry

Edited by Mascodagama - March 24 2020 at 02:29
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2020 at 03:50
I’ll never forget the first time I tried the capers sauce with Ringo.
Uhhh mama!
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2020 at 05:36
I prefer onion Ringos.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2020 at 05:45

This thread is full of win.

- Douglas Adams
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2020 at 11:24
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

I prefer onion Ringos.

Baked Lobster McCartney & Cheese is really good.....
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2020 at 12:23
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

I prefer onion Ringos.

Baked Lobster McCartney & Cheese is really good.....

Cheese and onions, how nice. This is my favourite song that the Beatles didn't quite make.

Whether or not the Beatles get too little, too much, just the right amount, or all of the above credit, I hope we can all appreciate that The Rutles did the Beatles, only better. ;)

Edited by Logan - March 24 2020 at 12:24
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 23>