Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Do the Beatles get too much credit..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 212223
Poll Question: See opening post for question.
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
48 [32.88%]
95 [65.07%]
3 [2.05%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2020 at 07:23
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Mosh, I'm talking about what music was known to the general public. I was listening to Davy Graham at the time as well as John Renbourn and Bert Jansch before they joined  Pentangle! REMEMBER THAT!
Hi,

Steve ... this is not a competition about who knew/heard what ... I merely wrote what I had seen at that time and place ... and even with my limited English at the time, I remembered that much, but lesser known albums and materials would be a tough call for me ... but heck ... I heard Woody Guthrie ... and then laughed at Arlo's thing!

Madison, WI and then Southern California are not exactly the whole story as it seems like it is seen ... there is a lot more that I do not know enough of ... but I don't even know how some states in America would even handle some of that stuff the NY and Cal played! Even Ohio and Illinois, specially when they donned live guns on people! 
I'm not in competition with you pedro. I simply don't like being shouted at. And that's what using Caps locks infers.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2020 at 08:11

IF they did push the boundaries, it was that compared to the top ten stuff, their material was a bit more serious and on "topic" instead of the usual bubble gum mentality of a lot of the top ten material, which has been like that for a long time, and the movie/recording studios loved it ... it made them money! (Remember that almost all recording studios were owned by film companies at that time in America ... an important consideration when it comes to making sure their material gets used and seen and sold.)

A gross underestimation or downplaying of the impact Beatles had but again, that's par for the course coming from you.  Bit more serious?  Just play Day In The Life and Please Release Me side by side.  No amount of revisionism will be able to describe the gap betwixt the two as merely a matter of being bit more serious. 
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2020 at 17:47
Not if you ask me. Whether one likes their music or not, it had a big impact on the music that came after them - at least until punk and new wave set in.

Albums like Revolver, Sgt. Pepper and the White Album are still among my all time favourites.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2020 at 06:43
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

A gross underestimation or downplaying of the impact Beatles had but again, that's par for the course coming from you.  Bit more serious?  Just play Day In The Life and Please Release Me side by side.  No amount of revisionism will be able to describe the gap betwixt the two as merely a matter of being bit more serious. 

Hi,

You're the master of misquotes and changing the subject and understanding. The Beatles, specially on FM Radio here, were considered far more "serious" than most bands ... and that does not infer or mean, that they can not do a ditty about the queen! You would ... oh wait ... you're perfect ... you would not be strong enough to be an ARTIST and musician that did anything other than top ten at the nearest Red Lion and their circuit! Tongue

Wink
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2020 at 06:55

Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Hi,

You're the master of misquotes and changing the subject and understanding. The Beatles, specially on FM Radio here, were considered far more "serious" than most bands ... and that does not infer or mean, that they can not do a ditty about the queen! You would ... oh wait ... you're perfect ... you would not be strong enough to be an ARTIST and musician that did anything other than top ten at the nearest Red Lion and their circuit! Tongue

Wink

I quoted your exact words.  If you cannot remember your own rambling rants, not my problem. 
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2020 at 08:16
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

Moreover, I think until 1966 the Beatles have published only 2-3 minutes pop-songs. They have enriched the pop songs with unreleased arrangements and studio effects, perfecting the format of the pop song verse-chorus (Rubber Soul and Revolver). Sgt Pepper is not a prog album, nor is it a concept album, it's simply an album where the Beatles created an introduction that is then reprised. Then, they have expanded some songs. Sgt Pepper is not even a real rock album, in fact there is very little rock music, there is Indian music, swing music, symphonic pop, melodic pop, music hall, pop mixed with avant-garde and finally even some rock songs. The Beatles have expanded their arrangements so much that they have become popular music musicians of all kinds. The Beatles (the White Album) again mixed songs of all musical genres, then the Beatles returned to rock in 1969 with Let It Be and Abbey Road. But in the meantime, between 1967 and 1969 rock music changed completely (Hendrix, Doors, Cream, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Family, King Crimson). 
Said this before, but have to say again. Sgt IS concept album, itīs really not a typical concept albums where is story with begin and ending. But there are even two themes going through all of the song, first is childhood (really much Johnīs & Paulīs childhood), the second is ordinary day in British live. Even Within You Without You fits into these themes, with the British history in India that had brought Indian culture influences to Brit much earlier than hippies become interested in India. Sgt may not be prog album if comparing it for example KC court, but really it influenced a lot to prog, not the least with itīs cover art.

I cant consider Sgt Pepper a concept album: The idea of ​​the album was that the Beatles did a show like Sg, and in fact the first song, RR is sung under the name of Billy Shears, but then starting from LSD sgt pepper puts together the songs that the Beatles had to them disposition, without any idea that could connect them. The Beatles themselves recognized it.
Paul got the idea, that instead Beatles, Edwardian-era military band will perform the new album songs. That was really great idea when releasing them about that "how Beatles-album should sound". Also that has given to the album a loose concept, you can imagine the album is one show played by Sgt. Band with all kinds of singers. But much more profound concept came from Johnīs "Strawberry Field Forever" that Paul immediately responded with his "Penny Lane". John went in this song into his childhood England and that will show less or more in the rest of the songs (these two songs could have also been in the album, but because EMI wanted a single, they decided to release them just as single, anyway they would have fit into theme). Although Harrison was that time much more in India (in his mind) than England, his song really also fit into concept because the UK historical & cultural connection to India. Also one thing you should say when thinking about the idea of Sgt, the Beatles members really havenīt got time to grow adults in decent way, just because their popularity that isolated them from the normal life. So the album was their "growing adults"-process and thatīs the reason why itīs so unique and mature and also make it so coherent. Have to also say that I find this not so obvious concept even more fascinating & profound than much more consciously build concept albums like Tommy, Lamb & the Wall.

It is quite common & superficial think Lucy in the Sky just drug song. Lennon had said he didnīt put letters LSD in that as purpose. Whatever it is, truth is that Lennon was highly influenced by Lewis Carroll (as many other English children of that time) and itīs his novel "Through the Looking Glass" he got the main inspiration of the song. Have to say also when they recorded this song, John wanted to sound as a child, so they recorded vocals in lower speed as music and he really sounded younger.

These are not my thoughts at all. If you want more profound view into Sgt Pepper, please watch a great document of it made by Howard Goodall. Also in 1987 Pepper-document Allen Ginsberg told about Pepperīs lyrics and in the end he said "there is a theme that goes through the album".
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2020 at 08:35
Sgt Pepper was supposed to be a concept album but after the first 2 tracks they got bored with the idea and it became "just" an album of songs. Lennon himself has said so.

There is no theme linking the songs together apart from the afore-mentioned openers and the reprise later on.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2020 at 08:35

Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Revolver? Decent? Look at all the forgettable pop that was around in 1966! LOL

That's my opinion.

Honestly, even if there were no better albums, this doesn't make an album good, just a poor year for music.

But there were better albums for me, like Freak Out (Zappa), Roger The Engineer (Yardbirds), Pet Sounds (Beach Boys) and the underrated Psychedelic Lollipop (Blues Magoos).

But again, just my opinion.

I think 1966 was quite good year in music (not as great as 1967-1974, but close):
the Beatles: Revolver
Beach Boys: Pet Sounds
the Ventures: Where the Action Is
the Rolling Stones: Aftermath
Small Faces: s/t
the Ventures: Go With the Ventures
Bob Dylan: Blonde On Blonde
Yardbirds: s/t
John Mayal With Eric Clapton: Bluesbrakers
Donovan: Sunshine Supermen
the Byrds: Fifth Dimension
the Ventures: Wild Things!
Simon & Garfunkel: Parsley, Sage, Rosemary & Thyme
13th Floor Elevators: the Psychedelic Sounds Of...
the Kinks: Face To Face
Tim Buckley: s/t
Love: Da Capo
the Blues Project: Projections
Buffalo Springfield: s/t
Skip James: Today!
Cream: Fresh Cream
the Who: Quick One
Frank Zappa: Freak Out

I think there are also many others, but not yet listened them (or remember them).
Nice list but more than half were not popular or known at all. In fact, you might have listed all of the best artists' albums of '66.LOL  Pet Sounds was a commercial disappointment, The Elevators were not known outside of Texas and the California Bay Area, and Mayal And The Bluesbrakers were not even known in the US until Cream became popular and people started to back track. Remember that US radio at the time was the AM format with Frank Sinatra thrown in with artists like the Monkees, Petula Clark, The Association and Tom Jones. Please don't make me compile a counter list as my stomach couldn't take it.
Well, I think at least Stones & Simon & Garfunkel were as popular as the Beatles in the US that time, also Yardbirds was more popular that time in the US than UK and the Byrds album peaked 27 in the chart. Also, I thought we are just talking about great popular music, not how popular it was that time (most of those albums are widely recognized quite soon after their release and are still).
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2020 at 08:46
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Sgt Pepper was supposed to be a concept album but after the first 2 tracks they got bored with the idea and it became "just" an album of songs. Lennon himself has said so.

There is no theme linking the songs together apart from the afore-mentioned openers and the reprise later on.
Your post sounds like you havenīt read my post. If you cant read it, I really recommend to watch that Goodall document. Itīs quite the same what Lennon had said if there is theme to be found from the songs if you just closely look them. Anyway I think I have said enough this.

Edited by Mortte - March 31 2020 at 08:46
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2020 at 08:47

Your post sounds like you havenīt read my post. If you cant read it, I really recommend to watch that Goodall document. Itīs quite the same what Lennon had said if there is theme to be found from the songs if you just closely look them. Anyway I think I have said enough this.

I read your post and I've seen Goodall's film as well thanks, I'm still with Lennon on this one.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2020 at 17:04

I read your post and I've seen Goodall's film as well thanks, I'm still with Lennon on this one.

Aside from the album's studio mastery, innovations, that it is both culturally and historically significant, as well as George Harrison's contribution being vastly underrated, I would have to say it is not a concept album as we would later consider albums like Days of Future Past, Tommy, Thick as a Brick, etc.

As John Lennon said quite succinctly: "Except for Sgt. Pepper introducing Billy Shears and the so-called reprise, every other song could have been on any other album." Ringo concurred that the first 2 songs ("Sgt. Pepper's and "With a Little Help From My Friends") and the Sgt. Pepper's reprise were the only conceptual parts of the album.

And referring back to Harrison's "Within You Without You", it is utterly and literally foreign to whatever the original concept was (Lennon/McCartney childhood, brass bands in the park, etc.), and if we were to point to progressivity in Beatles' music, then this composition, "Strawberry Fields" and "A Day In The Life" are the highlights of that session. Harrison doesn't just use Indian instruments as a hippy afterthought like so many other bands of that time, he actually studied music in India with Ravi Shankar, he used Indian musicians for the recording, and the scales employed in the piece are from Raga, the melodic mode of Indian classical music.

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 212223