Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJimi Hendrix 40 years on.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jimi Hendrix 40 years on.
    Posted: September 17 2010 at 15:59

Tomorrow marks the fortieth anniversary of the tragic death of Jimi Hendrix at the age of only 27. His death was a terrible waste as he was scheduled to work with Gil Evans and even Miles Davis. He declared King Crimson after watching them live ‘’ The best band in the world!’’ and praised the Pink Floyd and according to Keith Emerson was even scheduled  to jam with E.L.P. sometime in late 1970. In an interview a few weeks before his death he had this to say about his new music:

‘’We are going to gather everything we’ve learned musically in the last 30 years, and we are going to blend all the ideas that worked into a new form of classical music. I dig Strauss and Wagner and I think that they are going to form the background of my music. It’s going to be a complete form of music and on similar lines to what Pink Floyd are tackling.’’   

With aspirations like this it’s amazing to think of what his music would have been like had he lived. Would it have been Progressive Rock? We will never know but he certainly would have put elements of it in his music judging by his comments above. But at least we have the few albums he did record and tomorrow I will listen to ‘’Electric Ladyland’’, ‘’Band of Gypsys’’ and my favourite posthumous album of his ‘’Rainbow Bridge’’ and honour the passing of a music legend who died well before his time.   

Edited by Adams Bolero - September 17 2010 at 16:03
''Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal.''

- Albert Camus
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2010 at 18:22
I have never been too much of a fan of Hendrix's songwriting, but he absolutely set the standard for rock guitar technique, and he was uncommonly adventurous. I too would have liked to se what he would have accomplished in the seventies, as I am sure it would have been interesting.
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2010 at 22:17
I still remember the day.  Very sad one.  I like to think what could have been, but realistically given the lifestyle (which many of us were almost living at the time) I doubt much of it would have come to fruition.  Nonetheless, a great loss, perhaps the greatest loss of the musicians of the era.  I'm listened to 1983...(A Merman I Should Turn To Be) at the moment.  Well it's too bad that our friends can't be with us today...
Can you tell me where we're headin'?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon.
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2010 at 06:36
I saw a documentary about him on Arte thursday evening. God, "Voodoo Child" sounds like Black Sabbath 3 years before.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2010 at 20:35
He plays some really beautiful lead chord work on the version of "Little Wing" off the album Hendrix In the West. Much more jazzy and overall impressive when compared to the version on Axis.

On 1983 (A merman I should to turn to be), there is a kind of 2 part harmony guitar part played over a marching beat from Mitch Mitchell. Actually....it might be a 3 or 4 part guitar harmony now that I think of it? It's been years but, that was a strange little thing to record in 1968.

Toward the end of his life he was laying down tracks for songs that were a bit on the gloomy side for him. "Eazy Rider", "Room Full Of Mirrors", Driftin", Dolly Dagger. Astor Man and In From the Storm. The Rising Sun album released by the Hendrix estate supposedly was like a song list of material he had kept on file. Many of the songs for this cd were previously released on LP by Alan Douglas. If the so called facts stated in the past about Hendrix working on a double album and writing this style of material are true, then this would be his darkest effort. It's like the lost 4th studio album which sailed into a dark new land. Where things do not seem quite like they should be. But then again,....they never were. 
himtroy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2010 at 22:43
His planned collaboration with Miles Davis would have simply been the greatest thing ever.  It's a damn shame he had to go so early....
Which of you to gain me, tell, will risk uncertain pains of hell?
I will not forgive you if you will not take the chance.
Guitarman1 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2010 at 05:38
It was a very sad day for the music world, when Hendrix died.
But...could he have stayed away from the heavy drugs and could he have stopped signing contracts with everybody with money, maby there could have been some more revolutionary music.
Drugs....I think he thought he could control them. History shows, nerly nobody could get off drugs and alcohol, without help and the fans fed him with drugs and alcohol.
Contracts - even before signing with Chas Chandler, Hendrix had signed some recordcontracts and with the heavy debts of building the "Electric Ladyland-Studios" he was forced to tour a lot, for making cash. And he was uable to say no to people.
I think that he would spend very long time with legal matters and on the road so it would prevent him from using his new studio and making new music.
I personally think, that the music he made in his last year - on "First ray of the new rising sun" - was fantastic, most of them with 3 different guitarparts, building the songs into masterpieces.   
mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2010 at 14:38
I was very shocked and sad that the life of such a genius as Jimi could end so unecessarily, he was still only beginning...Crying or Very sad

During a visit to Hard Rock Cafe in London a few years ago the curator handed me a rather battered and rusty Gibson flying vee guitar that once belonged to Jimi, still strung left handed with his original strings, though i thought it should be restored and let it sing again... last i saw they had, i'd love to hear it!

Jimi's London residence is open to the public until 7th September, though i think they may be sold out...

http://www.viewlondon.co.uk/wh.....-9718.html

An exhibition about Jimi Hendrix at Handel House Museum will no doubt be one of the most popular exhibitions in London this year for music fans as they mark the 40th anniversary of the musician's death.
"Jimi Hendrix at Handel House Museum.
Despite the fact that the Handel House Museum is renowned for being the home of one famous musician, it is actually also associated with the amazing guitar skills of 60s legend Jimi Hendrix who lived in the flat next door. With a stunning collection of memorabilia and a very rare chance to take a trip around the actual property rented by Hendrix, this is bound to be one showstopping exhibition"

Edited by mystic fred - September 19 2010 at 14:39
Prog Archives Tour Van
himtroy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2010 at 17:26
I listened to a live Band of Gypsys concert last night.  Then today I felt the need to finally revisit my Hendrix collection.  I'm multiple Jimi concerts in, it helps that I have nothing to do all day.  I think Jimi was really getting onto something close to the end of his career, his lead work during/after Band of Gypsys reaches me on a more emotional level than even anything he'd done before.  
Which of you to gain me, tell, will risk uncertain pains of hell?
I will not forgive you if you will not take the chance.
Adams Bolero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2010 at 22:49
Originally posted by himtroy himtroy wrote:

I listened to a live Band of Gypsys concert last night.  Then today I felt the need to finally revisit my Hendrix collection.  I'm multiple Jimi concerts in, it helps that I have nothing to do all day.  I think Jimi was really getting onto something close to the end of his career, his lead work during/after Band of Gypsys reaches me on a more emotional level than even anything he'd done before.  
I agree that his music got more emotional and moving near the end of his life. Just listen to songs like ''Angel'', ''Drifting'', ''Pali Gap'' and my personal favourite Hendrix song ''Hey Baby {New Rising Sun}. He died just when he was peaking musically. Listen to this beautiful live version of ''Hey Baby {New Rising Sun}'' recorded just 18 days before his death:

''Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal.''

- Albert Camus
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2010 at 23:08
Obviously in my top 10 favorite artists. The man cast a shadow that reached many genres, including metal, funk, punk, new wave and, of course, progressive.  
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2010 at 00:48

I'll never believe the man died at 27....if so, then the energy he emitted would've been enough to light up NYC for the next decade! 

Still, it's a shame he had to live the life of the hippy martyr....someone had to pay for the extreme excesses of the late 60s.  Everyone wanted him to be the shaman....to light the guitar on fire and play with his teeth.  When I hear his blues, it brings tears to my eyes, but nobody let him just get on with what he wanted to do.  Manipulation of artists isn't just a contemporary phenomenon.....the powers that be (record execs, Bill Graham) needed a black artists that played white boy rock.  I've rarely met a black man/woman who was that into Hendrix....it was the white kids who bought rock records and attended Fillmore shows.

What would his future have been?  I dunno but RAINBOW BRIDGE shows that he was moving away from the fast and furious fuzzy feedback into a realm of sweetness.  Miles and Gil Evans may or may not have brought out the best in him....most of the Evans/Davis collaborations are big band things.  Would Jimi's space blues have mixed rightly?  Dunno, but I still would've loved to hear it.
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2010 at 00:59
BTW, what is the PA opinion of the Gil Evans Plays the Music of Jimi Hendrix album?  It's a mixed bag to me....a little too slick, but John Abecrombie tears it up and where else can you hear a tuba solo that really brings the house down?
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
paganinio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2010 at 05:02
Lou Reed comes to mind. He also made drug-inspired music in 1967 but he's still alive and well today.

y'all think Jimi's dead, but he sailed away.
on a wave of mutilation
a wave
wave
and he's kissed mermaids too.

TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2010 at 05:40
It's an insult to Hendrix when in the past,...either Alan Douglas or the Hendrix estate have released more and more leftovers of his material. No doubt there has been some very important recordings that we all love....however, Hendrix himself being the perfectionist he was, is turning in his grave! Many years ago, the Isle of Wight concert was released on LP and available only as an import. I found the concert to be disgraceful to his playing and image as an artist. Many walk about today, speaking about the greatness of the Isle Of Wight performance. Trust me on this one.....it is God awful. Out of tune and more than usual, telling the audience he is sorry for that, and playing with zero emotion etc. Probably the worst performance of his life considering he had not slept. People are like........"Well, it's Hendrix and he can do no wrong! It wasn't Hendrix's fault that this crap was released. He would be turning in his grave if he knew. Let's be real.......there was great Hendrix and poor Hendrix and after reading his complaints about Electric Ladyland studios, the shortning of Purple Haze, the disenchantment of his fan's reaction to his new material....etc, I'm sure he would have much worse things to say about material released on him in the past 2 decades than I do.
 Post Reply Post Reply