Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTony Banks Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tony Banks Question
    Posted: September 19 2010 at 16:00
Does anyone know what is creating that cool sound in the beginning of this tune?  It is a Moog?  It is possible to get this sound from any other synths?

Thanks.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2010 at 16:13
He used to use ARP synths...could be that.
Casimir View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2010 at 16:36
Most synthesizers can produce a sound similar to that.  I have an Alesis Micron.  Despite not being that customizable (in terms of sounds), I can still coax something similar to that out of it.
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2010 at 16:48
You can hear this on this song as well :

Given that Geddy is credited with bass, Oberheim Polyphonic, OB-X, Mini-Moog, taurus pedal synths and vocals I hesitate between taurus bass pedals and the Oberheim OB-X

Listen to the demo (at 1:02) :

but on the other hand you have the OB-X

"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
Musician78 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2010 at 17:36
It is a cool sound.  I have an Alesis QS 8.2 from back in the day...  would that be capable of making that sound?  I imagine I would have to use the mod wheel to control whatever it is in that note that is changing...  but I can't get my mod wheel to work because obviously I am not as smart as a 5th grader.
yanch View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2010 at 06:09
Might be a Moog. My brother used one in our old band and could make sounds like that. It sounds like Banks is just playing with the oscillator frequencies.
topographicbroadways View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2010 at 12:16
Arp Pro Soloist i believe. It is a sound you can get from most synthesisers i messed around with a Roland Sh201 and managed to get almost identical sound recently
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2010 at 16:01
I have no analog controls, so I would have to figure a way to assign the ocillator frequency to a slider or the mod wheel.  But I don't know how.  Any tips??
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2010 at 16:33
Originally posted by Musician78 Musician78 wrote:

I have no analog controls, so I would have to figure a way to assign the ocillator frequency to a slider or the mod wheel.  But I don't know how.  Any tips??

i have the same problem i have use midi to control a great mono synth through pro tools but only have a yamaha keyboard to do it with so cant tweek the oscilators and envolopes without the computer mouse
himtroy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2010 at 17:09
Originally posted by Casimir Casimir wrote:

Most synthesizers can produce a sound similar to that.  I have an Alesis Micron.  Despite not being that customizable (in terms of sounds), I can still coax something similar to that out of it.

This.  You could achieve that sound with an Arp (check out Hancock's Chameleon live, he does something very similar with an Arp), you could achieve it with a Moog.  I can definitely get it with my Micron as well.  And if you can't set the frequency then you're not getting it.  

Edited by himtroy - September 20 2010 at 17:10
Which of you to gain me, tell, will risk uncertain pains of hell?
I will not forgive you if you will not take the chance.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2010 at 16:10
Originally posted by topographicbroadways topographicbroadways wrote:

Originally posted by Musician78 Musician78 wrote:

i have the same problem i have use midi to control a great mono synth through pro tools but only have a yamaha keyboard to do it with so cant tweek the oscilators and envolopes without the computer mouse

I'll listen to it at home and check it out ...

But I bet I can plug this in to my Jupiter 8 software (Arturia's) and come up with it ... a lot of the music in those days, was about "sound" and how well you could modulate it and change it ... remember that in those days the sliders and knobs were all there for you ... but today, most people learning to play a synthesizer, are simply doing orchestra takes and parts, and don't really know how to work the analog side of it, or create new sounds like we did way back when ... in those days, that sound alone became the song or a part of the piece ... today, some insipid lyrics or overly loud guitar gets the credit!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2010 at 20:07
I really wish it was analog.  Just having different knobs to mess with is so much easier than adjusting parameters on things that you don't really know. 

If I could make that sound with my synth, I would never leave the house.  :)
pierreolivier View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2010 at 17:07

That film footage came from "A Trick of the Tail" tour and Tony Banks didn't used any Moog
synthesizers until "And then ther were three" 2 years later where he got a Polymoog. The rig
of Tony Banks at the "Trick of the tail" tour was a Hammond T, Mellotron M400, RMI Electric piano
and ARP Pro-Soloist. Mike Rutheford had Moog Taurus bass pedals and it's probably that sound
you heard.

For me, the sound you heard is possibly the Pro-Soloist with Moog Taurus pedals. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2010 at 17:36
Originally posted by pierreolivier pierreolivier wrote:

That film footage came from "A Trick of the Tail" tour and Tony Banks didn't used any Moog
synthesizers until "And then ther were three" 2 years later where he got a Polymoog. The rig
of Tony Banks at the "Trick of the tail" tour was a Hammond T, Mellotron M400, RMI Electric piano
and ARP Pro-Soloist. Mike Rutheford had Moog Taurus bass pedals and it's probably that sound
you heard.

For me, the sound you heard is possibly the Pro-Soloist with Moog Taurus pedals. Smile

his organ sound was always very different did he always use the Hammond T series instead of the B3 or did he  introduce the T in the seconds out years 
pierreolivier View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2010 at 18:11
Originally posted by topographicbroadways topographicbroadways wrote:

Originally posted by pierreolivier pierreolivier wrote:

you heard.

his organ sound was always very different did he always use the Hammond T series instead of the B3 or did he  introduce the T in the seconds out years 

Tony Banks always used spinet organs, he never used console Hammond like the B3 or C3. He began
with Hammond L-100 and switch to T Model around The Lamb... tour.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2010 at 19:10
Wow.  You guys know your crap!  I guess I always thought it was a Moog because I just assumed that was all there was for synthesizers back then, lol.
elusivesolution View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2012 at 09:29
The sound was created with the Arp Pro Soloist.  I'm not sure which patch it is, but he's moving the brilliance slider up and down to get the sweeping effect.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2012 at 02:59
No keyboard expert here, but I'm familiar with Banks' rig around this time - his main synth was an ARP Pro-Soloist, but he also used a huge ARP 2600, which has a wall of dials and such.  I actually thought Banks' option to use ARP's instead of the more popular Moogs/Mini-Moogs was refreshing.  I also love his smooth Hammond T sound, more 'swirly' than 'grindy'.  Banks is a virtuoso, and has great taste and technique.  He also used a Mellotron up until around 1979.  His rig changed a lot for the Duke period (bless the 80's Ermm).
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2012 at 20:10
Sounds like ARP
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
prog4evr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2012 at 23:30
A friend of mine who tried it says it sounds like Moog Taurus pedals played through a flanger...
 Post Reply Post Reply