Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Slartibartfast's Magical Music Random Load Blog
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSlartibartfast's Magical Music Random Load Blog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 15161718>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2010 at 19:54
My second two Universe go into the living room player and the  album with flood damaged case Umphrey's McGee, The Bottom Half comes out.  Next batch includes the UG and these random selections:

Amos, Tori    God
Beck, Jeff with the Jan Hammer Group    Live
Belew, Adrian    Side Two
Hansson, Bo    Lord of the Rings
Johnson, Eric    Tones
Levin, Tony    Waters of Eden
McLachlan, Sarah    Surfacing
Moody Blues, The    On the Threshold of a Dream
Ozric Tentacles    Jurassic Shift
Rypdal,  Terje    Undisonus
Vangelis    Antarctica - The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
Wyatt, Robert    Theatre Royal Drury Lane
Frith, Fred and Arditti String Quartet, Uwe Dierkson, William Winant    Eleventh Hour

Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

thehallway View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2010 at 15:29
Cool, thanks for the info.

One acoustic guitar, can it really pull off that whole ballet though? A matter of opinion I guess, and I haven't heard and from the looks of things probably won't be able to easily. I still think ELP should have done this one, they conquered all manner of other complex works.

Anyway thanks again!
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2010 at 14:45
Finally found some. Big smile

I think I paid about $5 for my copy tops.

Those two XTC albums are well regarded by me.  Will pop one of those in for the drive home.  Probably keep the other for nexters.  Big fan of the Dukes stuff.  Silly yet cool. Cool

Edited by Slartibartfast - September 28 2010 at 14:50
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2010 at 14:39
Whoa, luck of the draw yields two XTC albums?  It's your lucky day Slarti, better go buy some lottery tickets!
I still have the vinyl of Big Express, in its round cover.  Oranges and Lemons, though I guess less psychedelic that the Dukes EP, does hearken back to the '60s.  Good stuff.

Haven't heard that Coryell album, but back in the '70s I had a very nice Coryell/Kahn guitar duo album.  As you say, maybe not particularly compelling, but it was always enjoyable and competent music from Coryell and company.

Can you tell me where we're headin'?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2010 at 14:36
Originally posted by thehallway thehallway wrote:

Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Coryell, Larry/Igor Stravinsky    Le Sacre Du Printemps: Almost a digital demo album.  Came out in '83 (I almost wrote it as '73, oops LOL)  I like his solo guitar original material better.

This is a guitar verison of The Rite of Spring??

I never knew such a thing existed (I've been doing some prog-band-esque arrangements of it myself actually)! But it sounds immense already, where can I get hold of it?

It is indeed.  As to where you can get it, that may prove to be difficult.  I found it in a used discount bin many years ago.  I just did a search with no luck.

Found this
No track list available

Details
Distributor:Universal Distribution
Recording Type:Studio
Recording Mode:Stereo
SPAR Code:DDD

Album Notes
These are classical pieces arranged for solo guitar.
One of the more unusual recordings of Larry Coryell's long career is his solo interpretation of Igor Stravinsky's major ballet Le Sacre du Printemps (The Rite of Spring). In attempting this classical composition on a six-string acoustic guitar, without overdubs, Coryell has his work cut out for him, as Stravinsky's original ballet rehearsal version was conducted on not one but two pianos! This works best in the softer sections of the work like the introductions to each of the two segments of the work, though Coryell's virtuoso technique will likely impress notoriously hard to please classical fans. He doesn't strictly attempt a literal transcription, but introduces his own Latin-flavored interludes, additional vamps and improvised sections. It seems almost criminal that there are no liner notes to explain what prompted the making of this CD, though it seems almost obvious that the guitarist had likely been fascinated with this composition since childhood. Coryell also recorded Stravinsky's Oiseau De Feu (Firebird)/Petrouchka in 1984. ~ Ken Dryden

One more try...
Le Sacre du Printemps

Le Sacre du Printemps

Larry Coryell (Performer), Stravinsky (Composer) | Format: Audio CD
5.0 out of 5 stars  See all reviews (1 customer review)

Available from these sellers.

2 new from $49.99 10 used from $12.89

Edited by Slartibartfast - September 28 2010 at 14:44

thehallway View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2010 at 13:51

Coryell, Larry/Igor Stravinsky    Le Sacre Du Printemps: Almost a digital demo album.  Came out in '83 (I almost wrote it as '73, oops LOL)  I like his solo guitar original material better.

This is a guitar verison of The Rite of Spring??

I never knew such a thing existed (I've been doing some prog-band-esque arrangements of it myself actually)! But it sounds immense already, where can I get hold of it?
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2010 at 07:50
Unfortunately I have the vinyl.....no bonus there.
Another in the list is Exploded View. I have found it quite challenging. Yr was easier. Also those are on vinyl.

Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2010 at 07:35
I actually found the stuff on the bonus disc more interesting than the main one. LOL

Really weird that I drew two XTC albums and another with Andy Partridge this morning. 

Edited by Slartibartfast - September 28 2010 at 07:39

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2010 at 07:00
Sorry, TODAY I would have rated it 2 stars. Actually I gave it 3...
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2010 at 06:56
We rated it the same 
 http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=19544 my review is right to yours.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2010 at 06:46
Up next:
Aphrodite's Child    666 - Weird "little" album.  Of course I wouldn't have it were it not for the presence of Vangelis

Coryell, Larry    Tributaries - A trio acoustic guitar album with John Scofield and Joe Beck.  Not sure where to rank it amongst the trio guitarist albums.  Nothing particularly compelling about it, but still the music holds its own against its more famous cousin.

Flower Kings, The    Stardust We Are - This one really failed to make a connection with me despite being highly regarded around these parts.  The music is undeniably good, but it hasn't clicked yet.  As a result I haven't delved any further into the band.  Before I got to know who they were, I did get a Genesis tribute album where they do Cinema Show.

Fripp, Robert & The League of Crafty Guitarists    Intergalactic Boogie Express - Live in Europe 1991 - Trio guitarist albums, sheesh.  Lets go for nine.  Got to see them live around this time.  Wait forgot to count Fripp.

Gitbox    Touch Wood - Another guitar oriented album, also on Fripp's label.
High Llamas, The    Beet, Maize & Corn - the Llamas have put out some albums of interest to the prog fan but lately have been putting out kind of dull ones.  If you like loungey stuff, this might be for you.

Nine Inch Nails    "The Perfect Drug" Versions - I was really hoping for the version that wasn't used in Lost Highway but showed up on the soundtrack and was released as a creepy video.  Oh well.  Never had much luck with remix albums.  Should avoid them altogether.

Sallyangie, The    Children of the Sun - Sometimes great artists release mediocre debut albums.  This would be one of them.  Of course the sister and brother would go on to make much better stuff.

Tibbetts, Steve    Exploded View - When Tibbetts went to ECM, he seems to have adapted his style to fit in better with the label.  For me he has never surpassed his first two.  Still being early ECM for Steve, it still has a bit of an edge to it.

XTC    Big Express, The  - By the time this came out XTC had become one of those bands where I'd get the new album as soon as it came out and it marks that period in my life indelibly.  This one reminds me of when I was in college and working at a now defunct fast food joint,

XTC    Oranges & Lemons - Sort of a tribute to '60's psychedelia.  This one reminds of a period in my life where I was laid off from my first long term architectural job.  Also, for its ode to the penis (Pink Thing).

Partirdge, Andy & Harold Budd    Through the Hill - XTC did the occasional ambient track, now I know who was responsible.  Beautiful album musically and it comes with interesting  packaging in the case.  I believe this one is still out of print.  If you like ambient albums you'll enjoy this, otherwise you will probably find it boring.

Edited by Slartibartfast - September 28 2010 at 07:34

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2010 at 19:46
I know My Feet Are Smiling is one of those I've heard.  My joke name for it was My Feet Are Smelling.  Just a joke name.  I liked the music.

jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2010 at 19:23
Thanks for bringing up Leo Kottke.  I should probably listen to what he's doing these days...actually didn't know he was still around.  I had a couple of his albums back in the '70s (Greenhouse, My Feet Are Smiling).  He had a lot of street cred as a guitarist.  He more or less got lost in the shuffle I suppose, probably being too sophisticated for the folk fans (if there were any folk fans left in the '70s), and a bit too folk-y for the rock audience.

Edited by jammun - September 24 2010 at 19:23
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2010 at 17:59
I guess I'm not surprised.  I really like it, but then I really like ambient.

Here's the Wakeman album on half.com: http://product.half.ebay.com/Selections-From-Journey-to-the-Center-of-the-Earth-Instrumental_W0QQprZ3335411QQtgZinfo

Edited by Slartibartfast - September 24 2010 at 18:26

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2010 at 17:57

[snip]If you like old PFM, you'll likely like Stati.  If you buy a hard copy get the one with the bonus DVD.  Pricey but worth it.[/snip]

I got Stati... pretty soon after it was released and loved the classic PFM albums (Storia..., Per..., and L'Isola...) at the time., but I was disappointed with Stati... I found it too ambient and lackluster on the whole. I haven't listened to it in years. Back then I did get so many new-to-me albums (consumed them)  that I didn't always give them a proper chance to grow on me.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2010 at 17:55
Feel free to hijack Jack.  Wow, just goes to show you that the more complicated they make them the more prone they are to failures...

Amos, Tori    Scarlett's Walk: Tori's an artist who basically can do no wrong by me, so they are all good and this one is a little better.

Beatles, The    Abbey Road: A classic that should be in everyone's record collection.

De Grassi, Alex    Southern Exposure: Speaking of solo guitar, was one of Windham Hill's better solo guitarists.  The best was Michael Hedges until he started singing (joke).  Good mellow stuff.

Jackson, Joe    Laughter & Lust: lesser known album of Joe's.  He's done two I consider definitely progressive - Heaven and Hell and Symphony #1.  Good album, Trying To Cry and Drowning are my favorite tracks.  Solid tunes.

Kottke, Leo    One Guitar, No Vocals: I saw him play on TV, I think it was Austin City Limits.  Surprised he's not here in prog folk, but I'm not an expert in that sub or in Leo's music in particular.  I've heard one or two other albums, but this is the only one I have.  Four star album.  Great liner notes. ( If you've ever seen him perform, he tells short stories to introduce songs.) "Snorkel - Written in Sydney when my hotel room was flooding.  Too Fast - Too fast.  Chamber Of Commerce - I was upset." LOL

I just noticed, these were randoms of randoms and I pulled down three solo guitar albums today. Shocked

Weird coincidences will probably keep this thread somewhat interesting.

Edited by Slartibartfast - September 24 2010 at 18:00
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2010 at 17:48
My first computer:  Leading Edge Model D.  Spec & cost:

Computer itself ($595):
8088 CPU (switchable between 4.77 MHz and 7.16 MHz)
1 360 KB floppy drive
512 KB RAM
MS-DOS 3.2

Extra 128 KB RAM to run CGA graphics (don't remember what this cost, but it was at least $200)

20 MB Hard Drive ($400)

CGA Monitor ($500)

I bought this in 1988.  It is now on a shelf in the basement but still runs perfectly.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but there's a wiki article that points out how far we've come for anyone interested.

Being a traditionalist, gimme some Abbey Road any day.

Now back to Slarti's regularly scheduled blog.

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2010 at 17:32
Regarding Wakeman, Rick    Selections from…Journey to the Center of the Earth, I don't think it's in the discography here yet.  Been meaning to add it.  It's a set of new (1998 release) instrumental versions.  One of Rick's better releases. 

Well Octo's got me beat when it comes to ancient computer experience.  Anyone remember when a 1 Gig hard drive was considered huge?  I was looking at an ad in the paper and now you can get a 1 Terrabite for $90.00 Shocked

Double checked and adding that album is on my to do list.  I haven't listened to it in this round yet, but time for drive by reviews of what I listened to at work today...

Edited by Slartibartfast - September 24 2010 at 18:00
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2010 at 16:31
Always close at hand to be played..........Premiata Forneria Marconi    Stati Di Immaginazione
Marty McFly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2010 at 16:08

:-O And I though that it's some kind of concept computer of then times that I don't know yet. Not really, I understood you, don'T worry.

I'm curious too, I know original album (well, remastered on CD, but still, more or less original), this Selection confuses me as well.  Brian, people are confused :-)

There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 15161718>