Topic ClosedCrystal Phoenix

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crystal Phoenix
    Posted: October 14 2010 at 10:07

Crystal Phoenix was born in 1989 by the effort of a single figure: Myriam Sagenwells Saglimbeni who wrote, played, sang and even drew the cover of the eponymous debut work. This musical genre, which could be termed progressive, has been called epic-classic by the authoress. It is epic because, by means of music, she can draw a parallelism with ancient myths (even if with hard rock-heavy influences) and classic because she uses instruments such as: harp, flutes and harpsichord.

I caught up with Remo for the Crystal Phoenix story.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your biography has been covered in your ProgArchives profile so let's bypass this and go straight to the albums. But why did you choose that name ?  

The Phoenix is a mythological animal so like the dragon, these creature are symbols of human fear and interior knowledge. Phoenix is able to “be reborn” from its ashes, it is the fire and the life force. Crystal is ice, “cold” and like a blade, but it is also so fragile. So Crystal Phoenix is a creature, symbol of everyone, because it has a double nature: ice-fire, so lightness-darkness, and in uptime analysis, a human nature. Before Phoenix can be born again, it must die; it is the fight against itself in anyone.

Please give me your (long or brief) thoughts and lowdowns on......

Crystal Phoenix from 1989
The Legend Of The Two Stonedragons (Twa Jorg-J-Draak Saga) from 2003 

Crystal Phoenix’s first album was released after a musical contest by BGM Ariola records, but a bad distribution brought a great number of copies to destruction. This kind of music hasn't easy life in Italy...

The first album was surely more epic but the 2nd is an evocation, it’s a sequence of flashes about the lives of all the characters of the story. As the characters and their lives are different the songs have to be different (in style, arrangement, etc) too.
I’d like to find the style to express my dreams, my sensations, my own soul with music, so the style, the sound and the voices (I’m still studying about it) are the instruments to get this effect. It’s as if I can hear the final effect in my head and then I play the music and I work until I can feel it in my songs.

You were active between 1987 and 1992, took a ten years long break, got back together again and recorded a new album in 2003. Why did you return again ?

I have never thought of leaving the Crystal Phoenix project: it’s a dream. , my dream, my life in music. I would like to have a band which has my same dream : to tell a legend, everyone’s legend.
This long silence was due to my problems (health, university, job, etc) but before I die Crystal Phoenix should tell its tale once again.
This is my dream...^^

I understand both your albums are conceptual works. Please tell us more about these concepts.

The story is really complex: it began with the first CD. It’s a story about 8 characters that takes place in 3 moments: past-present-future.
The beginning is in the new album (part: the future). There’re some situations and some characters described with flashes (for the moment): but the real situation must not be clear yet. The same characters went to the past (how this happens will be known in the 3rd CD) but they lose their memory.
(The first CD is about one of them, about his/her life in the past and then in the present).
In the present they have to meet to remember again. Destiny is not the future: they, fighting against their own destiny, will change the future. The legend of the two stone-dragons is a tale about the training of a soul, about the fighting of the dark side against the light side, about the fighting of everyone against the destiny to change the future, to find peace and justice.(The title on the cover design is “fighting with himself”) but it’s possible to read it as past-present: past to connect with the first CD. The key of reading is the time.
So the next third(3°) CD too, will be developed in two moments : the present and the future to close the lime-loop of the tale.

Just to give those of us who are unknown with your band a bit of a reference point or two: How would you describe your music ?

Our music is a way to communicate our feelings. We do it with songs tales and different kind of musical styles.
For live performances we re-arrange the songs (now for example we’re playing the acoustic version of some of them), but the project is to play all the songs as they are on the CD, so we’re looking for some musicians.

How is the availability of your records and what is your experience with the music industry?

No comment about Italian music industry....

Is any of your members involved in any other bands or projects ?

Our group was always been a friend's group, so we look for a new member, only if one person had go away to job or studies.

What is your plans for the rest of this year and next year ?

We'd like to execute some live performances. We're workin' on it.
And very soon news on our web site 

Anything you want to add to this interview ?

For us it's very important, 'cause it's the way to say some things that aren't so clear or easy to learn.
Every question give us possibility to explain better our concepts.
Thank you very very much and excuse us for later answer....

Thank you to Remo for this interview

Their PA profile is here and their homepage is here

Post Reply Post Reply