1 [0.97%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2010 at 08:42
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Downright boring. His technical abilities are fine, but they are no better or worse than those of dozens of other drummers. He lacks imagination and spontaneity though. Anyone who plays the same solo for years can't be called anything but downright boring. The most important characteristics of a good drummer are spontaneity and imagination, and Mr. peart is lacking there. A drummer must be able to do the unexpected; every good drummer does that. Just look at what jazz drummers do all thd time! As I said, I respect ghis technical abilities, but thats all.
What he is incredibly good at is PA though. he has successfully created an image of himself  as the überdrummer, and that is where his reputation stems from. Again, I do not doubt his technical abilities at  all, but many other drummers have the same abilitiues; just listen to them play.

* Other - A great way to get Bald Friede and Bald Jean riled up Wink
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2010 at 09:05
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

My only real criticism of Peart is he tends to duplicate the studio recordings live - he often plays exactly the same fills as on the original recordings.

Anyone who doubts his technical ability should trying playing along to "La Villa Strangiato" - as I believe a few top drummers mentioned on the recent Rush DVD.

As I said,I do not doubt his skills at all. But  I totally agree with your criticism. That's exactly what makes him boring to me.
Another reason I dislike him is perhaps nthe hyperbole which is made around him on this site. I hadnever heard of him before I came here, so when I read some of the enthusiastic comments about him I became really  curious. It was a real letdown to get to know that the hyperbolewas just that - hyperbole. Yes, a technically very able drummer, but that's all. I had already heard a lot of drummers with the same technical abilities who were mujch more original and exciting than him. Of course that is my personal opinion only; if someone thinks Peart's drumming is extremely exciting - feel free to think so. I have yet to hear something of him which really excites me.
But I am open to suggestions. AAny Peart lover please feel free to post a track with some really exciting drumming of him. I promise I will listen with open ears.  I may answer with what I consider to be extremelyy exciting drumming though and expect you to listen to it in return.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2010 at 09:11
Erm...couldn't find the track as a link but his performance on YZZ from Moving Pictures just might be his best (I ain't a Peart worshipper BTW just think him 'good' no more than that)
Mr. Maestro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2010 at 09:18
Personally, Peart is my #1 drummer, but I don't think I can objectively call him the "greatest of all time."  Option 2 for me.
"I am the one who crossed through space...or stayed where I was...or didn't exist in the first place...."
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2010 at 09:54
Yeah..us people who think that Neil Peart is a brilliant drummer are full of sh*t...obviously we know nothing,
Lark the Starless View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2010 at 09:54
Incredibly awesome, easily in my top 5
Lark the Starless View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2010 at 09:56

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

My only real criticism of Peart is he tends to duplicate the studio recordings live - he often plays exactly the same fills as on the original recordings.

Anyone who doubts his technical ability should trying playing along to "La Villa Strangiato" - as I believe a few top drummers mentioned on the recent Rush DVD.

As I said,I do not doubt his skills at all. But  I totally agree with your criticism. That's exactly what makes him boring to me.
Another reason I dislike him is perhaps nthe hyperbole which is made around him on this site. I hadnever heard of him before I came here, so when I read some of the enthusiastic comments about him I became really  curious. It was a real letdown to get to know that the hyperbolewas just that - hyperbole. Yes, a technically very able drummer, but that's all. I had already heard a lot of drummers with the same technical abilities who were mujch more original and exciting than him. Of course that is my personal opinion only; if someone thinks Peart's drumming is extremely exciting - feel free to think so. I have yet to hear something of him which really excites me.
But I am open to suggestions. AAny Peart lover please feel free to post a track with some really exciting drumming of him. I promise I will listen with open ears.  I may answer with what I consider to be extremelyy exciting drumming though and expect you to listen to it in return.

I'd say his best drumming is on "A Farewell to Kings" and "Hemispheres"...try listening to the longer tracks such as "La Villa Strangiato" and Cygnus Pts. 1 and 2
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2010 at 11:19
I don't understand the hate, displeasure, dislike of an artist who has for 40yrs worked hard to be the best at what they do. I firmly believe had Rush quit after say 15-20yrs all these people would think differently and more would call him the greatest. But the fact that he is still drumming at the level that he is for his age and to put on 2.5 hour shows...is simply amazing.

If the music of Rush does not excite you then don't listen to it. You can find thousands of youtube vids on Rush in performance, its out there if you want to see it, go look for yourself. Why would I post it?

And for those that think he has not evolved? Then you really have not seen what he has done with his drumming technique between 90's to now. He has picked up a lot of what Buddy Rich was doing and some others.

I don't like the term "greatest" for anybody. He is between option 1 and 2 for me...so I will pick #2 with an up arrow.

And like the big Dog, I too am full of horsekrapp because I think he is a brilliant, amazing, accomplished drummer.......for easily the last 30yrs.

WalterDigsTunes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2010 at 11:23
Not terrible, but extremely predictable. A good rock drummer that might seem flashy to the classic rock crowd, but among prog drummers... meh.

Edited by WalterDigsTunes - November 04 2010 at 11:23
The Neck Romancer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2010 at 11:29
^ exactly. But still, he's an awesome drummer, in my top 15 easily

Edited by Starhammer - November 04 2010 at 12:00
DisgruntledPorcupine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2010 at 11:36

Peart is boring, repetitive, and the most overrated drummer of all time. He has good skills, but there's countless drummers out there with the same amount of skills, and at least many of them have spontaneity.

DisgruntledPorcupine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2010 at 11:37

Downright boring. His technical abilities are fine, but they are no better or worse than those of dozens of other drummers. He lacks imagination and spontaneity though. Anyone who plays the same solo for years can't be called anything but downright boring. The most important characteristics of a good drummer are spontaneity and imagination, and Mr. peart is lacking there. A drummer must be able to do the unexpected; every good drummer does that. Just look at what jazz drummers do all thd time! As I said, I respect ghis technical abilities, but thats all.
What he is incredibly good at is PA though. he has successfully created an image of himself  as the überdrummer, and that is where his reputation stems from. Again, I do not doubt his technical abilities at  all, but many other drummers have the same abilitiues; just listen to them play.
Clap
WalterDigsTunes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2010 at 11:37
^ exactly.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2010 at 11:39
A good drummer, definitely.  My main criticism is that he frequently overplays, the drummers equivalent to Chris Squire or Yngwie Malmsteen, both of which I like but wish they would settle down sometimes (especially Yngwie).  There are moments when he captures a good beat, driving the rest of the band, but any rhythmic pattern is quickly shattered by rapid runs and crashing cymbals.  Of course there are places for drama, but there is a difference between a thespian and a drama queen.  Peart could be a thespian, but he seems to prefers the other option all too often.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2010 at 14:52
overated and repetitive.  He's not bad just not all that.
yanch View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2010 at 14:57
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

By no means the best in the world, but I have to say he's in my top 5.
That's MY top 5 not THE top 5 just for clarification. He makes my list because;

1 - He's Canadian
2 - He 33.333% responsible for the sound of RUSH
3 - He writes lyrics
4 - He has survived extreme personal tragedy

Agreed, couldn't have said it better. I'm not Canadian, but still........Tongue
lastplaneout View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2010 at 15:07
I can't vote yet, but I'm definitely in the "incredibly technically proficient, but sometimes boring" camp. I like his playing on some of the classic Rush albums (2112 Overture will always be a favorite), but I've found his drum solos and his contributions to some of the later Rush material to be a little bit of a drag. This is mostly just a personal bias on my part- I tend to favor more jazzy and/or more raucous Keith Moon-type drummers.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2010 at 15:08
I think he's great.  Certainly above average.  I enjoy his playing.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2010 at 16:03
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I don't understand the hate, displeasure, dislike of an artist who has for 40yrs worked hard to be the best at what they do. I firmly believe had Rush quit after say 15-20yrs all these people would think differently and more would call him the greatest. But the fact that he is still drumming at the level that he is for his age and to put on 2.5 hour shows...is simply amazing.

If the music of Rush does not excite you then don't listen to it. You can find thousands of youtube vids on Rush in performance, its out there if you want to see it, go look for yourself. Why would I post it?

And for those that think he has not evolved? Then you really have not seen what he has done with his drumming technique between 90's to now. He has picked up a lot of what Buddy Rich was doing and some others.

I don't like the term "greatest" for anybody. He is between option 1 and 2 for me...so I will pick #2 with an up arrow.

And like the big Dog, I too am full of horsekrapp because I think he is a brilliant, amazing, accomplished drummer.......for easily the last 30yrs.

There are much older drummers around than Peart. Peart is fifty-eight. Jon  Hiseman is sixty-six, and Mani Neumeier will be seventy-one by the end of the year. Both are very much alive and kicking... err, drumming.
And once again: Peart IS an accomplished drummer; I never doubted that. But there are countless other drummers who are equally accomplished, with carreers even much longer. Peart has nothing on them except for a big name.
Mani Neumeier does things on stage wich Peart would never dare. With Peart every single strole in a solo is planned ahead and well-rehearsed.  Now look at this solo, especially the second half after Mani stands up. You can't plan or rehearse that; you have to improvise.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2010 at 16:19

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

There are much older drummers around than Peart. Peart is fifty-eight. Jon  Hiseman is sixty-six, and Mani Neumeier will be seventy-one by the end of the year. Both are very much alive and kicking... err, drumming.
And once again: Peart IS an accomplished drummer; I never doubted that. But there are countless other drummers who are equally accomplished, with carreers even much longer. Peart has nothing on them except for a big name.
Mani Neumeier does things on stage wich Peart would never dare. With Peart every single strole in a solo is planned ahead and well-rehearsed.  Now look at this solo, especially the second half after Mani stands up. You can't plan or rehearse that; you have to improvise.

I appreciate you posting that performance by Mani......it was very entertaining. But his pot and pan playing skills well basically suck.....I have seen much better performances at my local state fair......
This guy has amazing pot/pan playing abilities.......Mani should look this guy up. Wink

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>