I Could have bought a Third World country with the riches that I've spent
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2010 at 16:36
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

I don't understand the hate, displeasure, dislike of an artist who has for 40yrs worked hard to be the best at what they do. I firmly believe had Rush quit after say 15-20yrs all these people would think differently and more would call him the greatest. But the fact that he is still drumming at the level that he is for his age and to put on 2.5 hour shows...is simply amazing.

If the music of Rush does not excite you then don't listen to it. You can find thousands of youtube vids on Rush in performance, its out there if you want to see it, go look for yourself. Why would I post it?

And for those that think he has not evolved? Then you really have not seen what he has done with his drumming technique between 90's to now. He has picked up a lot of what Buddy Rich was doing and some others.

I don't like the term "greatest" for anybody. He is between option 1 and 2 for me...so I will pick #2 with an up arrow.

And like the big Dog, I too am full of horsekrapp because I think he is a brilliant, amazing, accomplished drummer.......for easily the last 30yrs.

There are much older drummers around than Peart. Peart is fifty-eight. Jon  Hiseman is sixty-six, and Mani Neumeier will be seventy-one by the end of the year. Both are very much alive and kicking... err, drumming.
And once again: Peart IS an accomplished drummer; I never doubted that. But there are countless other drummers who are equally accomplished, with carreers even much longer. Peart has nothing on them except for a big name.
Mani Neumeier does things on stage wich Peart would never dare. With Peart every single strole in a solo is planned ahead and well-rehearsed.  Now look at this solo, especially the second half after Mani stands up. You can't plan or rehearse that; you have to improvise.

I appreciate you posting that performance by Mani......it was very entertaining. But his pot and pan playing skills well basically suck.....I have seen much better performances at my local state fair......
This guy has amazing pot/pan playing abilities.......Mani should look this guy up. Wink

You missed a subtle but important difference. Mani's pots and plates are moving around all the time. The pots and plates of your drummer don't..

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2010 at 17:28
I always rate him as one of the best prog drummers because he can play with a smoothness and feeling for tempo while also giving it some serious whelly when he needs to. I can only really enjoy drummers who go for it and into that category goes Peart along with Carl Palmer (ELP) and Nicko McBrain (Iron Maiden). There is also that amazing drummer Masuhiro Guto (Gerard) who probably smokes the lot of them! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVGM1Rw33no
Anyway I voted option B.
40footwolf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2010 at 17:42
I admire Peart's talent but not his style-there's something very mechanical about the way he drums that I find extremely off-putting. 
Heaven's made a cesspool of us all.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2010 at 18:22
Neil Pert is?
No he isn't.
And I'm not entirely certain.

Edited by Slartibartfast - November 04 2010 at 18:23
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Libor10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2010 at 19:30
he is very good drummer imho. Yes, in my top five :-)
LateralMe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2010 at 20:15
He is a great drummer, in my top five. I'm not to into Rush though.
A Flower!?
Jörgemeister View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2010 at 21:41
Originally posted by 40footwolf 40footwolf wrote:

I admire Peart's talent but not his style-there's something very mechanical about the way he drums that I find extremely off-putting. 

I know what you say, i think the same of Palmer, is like if they memorize the movements, but you dont see them "grooving" like virgil donatti
I Could have bought a Third World country with the riches that I've spent
rod65 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2010 at 14:28
I rate him in my top five, and in all honesty could not rate any drummer any higher than that. When you get up to that level of skill--and his skill is widely acknowledged and beyond any reasonable dispute--then finer points of decision are matters of personal preference. And I do not believe that greatness can be determined by mere preference.

If the options had been "my favourite drummer of all time" rather then "the greatest drummer of all time," then I might have chosen that one.
esky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2010 at 15:57
Incredibly good. In my top 5? There's plenty of competition for those slots. I love the guy though.
Alberto Muñoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2010 at 16:56
Great Drummer, no more, no less.

No vote.

crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2010 at 17:01
Top 5 drummer!?!

Not in my Top 5. He's good but not Top 5.
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2010 at 17:11
I guess it would be futile for me to say that Peart has been improvising significantly during the drum solo on the latest Rush tour.

That said, Gavin Harrison claims to improvise on every track he plays live...
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2010 at 17:13
Definitely in my top 5,the man is a percussive genius.

Alberto Muñoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2010 at 17:58
This question poll reminds me of the Love is:

a) A Feeling.
b) a Curious Feeling.
c) The way i handle your hand.
d) etc. etc. etc

LOL

JROCHA View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2010 at 18:03
Great Drummer, one of my favorite rock drummers for sure
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2010 at 19:11

I don't understand the hate, displeasure, dislike of an artist who has for 40yrs worked hard to be the best at what they do. I firmly believe had Rush quit after say 15-20yrs all these people would think differently and more would call him the greatest. But the fact that he is still drumming at the level that he is for his age and to put on 2.5 hour shows...is simply amazing.

If the music of Rush does not excite you then don't listen to it. You can find thousands of youtube vids on Rush in performance, its out there if you want to see it, go look for yourself. Why would I post it?

And for those that think he has not evolved? Then you really have not seen what he has done with his drumming technique between 90's to now. He has picked up a lot of what Buddy Rich was doing and some others.

I don't like the term "greatest" for anybody. He is between option 1 and 2 for me...so I will pick #2 with an up arrow.

And like the big Dog, I too am full of horsekrapp because I think he is a brilliant, amazing, accomplished drummer.......for easily the last 30yrs.

There are much older drummers around than Peart. Peart is fifty-eight. Jon  Hiseman is sixty-six, and Mani Neumeier will be seventy-one by the end of the year. Both are very much alive and kicking... err, drumming.
And once again: Peart IS an accomplished drummer; I never doubted that. But there are countless other drummers who are equally accomplished, with carreers even much longer. Peart has nothing on them except for a big name.
Mani Neumeier does things on stage wich Peart would never dare. With Peart every single strole in a solo is planned ahead and well-rehearsed.  Now look at this solo, especially the second half after Mani stands up. You can't plan or rehearse that; you have to improvise.

I appreciate you posting that performance by Mani......it was very entertaining. But his pot and pan playing skills well basically suck.....I have seen much better performances at my local state fair......
This guy has amazing pot/pan playing abilities.......Mani should look this guy up. Wink

You missed a subtle but important difference. Mani's pots and plates are moving around all the time. The pots and plates of your drummer don't..
Sure the guy at the boardwalk is good, but not that good.  His left hand just plays the beat in all the clips.  Mani is really so much better - listen to how he plays in front of the beat without losing it the whole time; and look at how basic his kit is.  It just shows you don't need a whole room of drums to be a good drummer! 
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
spookytooth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2010 at 19:24
Neil's a great drummer...but he's certainly not the best. He used to be my favorite, but other drummers like Bill Bruford and Carl Palmer have captured my attention more, especially when I started drumming and taking percussion courses myself.

Would you like some Bailey's?
Jazzywoman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2010 at 21:27
Greatest drummer...EVER

JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2010 at 21:37
He's fine. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>