Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPink Floyd Album Tournament, Round 10

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: Which of these two Pink Floyd albums is the best?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
70 [76.09%]
22 [23.91%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2010 at 10:03
Wow, what a lot of hatred for a rock opera by what is probably the best-loved prog band in the world ever!

I prefer WYWH as well, but I thought these results would be a little more even.

I guess The Wall just isn't proggy enough for this demographic?

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2010 at 10:11
I voted for The Wall...."When you're on of the few....:"Wink
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Publius84 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2010 at 10:39
I'd vote for The Wall. It's the album that my Pink Floyd and Prog journey started with. 
I know what I like and I like what I know...

Prog is in my heart, in my mind, in my soul...
thehallway View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2010 at 11:04
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Pinch That's the Final Cut.....

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2010 at 12:12
Originally posted by thehallway thehallway wrote:

Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Pinch That's the Final Cut.....
That's Roger Waters after all....(We're only ordinary men)
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2010 at 15:00
Originally posted by Languagegeek Languagegeek wrote:

Filler? 

10. One of my turns (1:33)
11. Don't leave me now (4:22)

2. Is there anybody out there! (2:40) 
3. Nobody home (3:25)
4. Vera (1:38)
5. Bring the boys back home (0:50)

8. In the flesh (4:16) (again) 
10. Waiting for the worms (3:56)
11. Stop (0:34)
12. The trial (5:16)
13. Outside the wall (1:42)

Without doing the math, that looks like 25-30 minutes. 

Remove these bits and the thing makes less sense. Rog thought Bring The boys Back Home was the album's centrepiece. Outside the wall... there has to be some sort of denouement. The Trial is where all the baddy characters get togther and confront the central character. Pretty important bit in the story line I would have thought. This si the album's real climax. Gives Rog a chance to do all his charcter voices as well.

Nobody's Home is the central character acknolweding where he comes from, nad hardly recognises. Nice guitar progression as well.

In The Flesh is the central character becoming this fascist leader. As it was taken seriously by so many (despite it being intended to be satire) it just goes to show how unaware or directly nasty so many people are. (Don't mean you, dear reader. I mean them... not us!) It's not a repeat really. It seems it from some music (the reprsie idea) but the surrogate band has become Pink and followers and they're all fascists now.

One of My Turns is a great climactic disintegration of personality. Inspired by - of all people - Roy Harper.
Waiting For The Worms, all creepy nastiness. More facist diatribes and build up.

Don't leave Me now? Forlorn and rejected the character now has nowhere to go but to become this fascist.

Is the Anybody Out There?... this is the precursor to Comfortably Numb. Many tracks are in support of each other and taking some out of context might leave holes in the wall.  Each has it's value and not every track is really intended to be a set piece but establishing continuity - make the album flow.

Vera and Bring The boys relate back to central character and Rog' Dad's past. Vera Lynn the WW2 soldier's sweetheart and Bring The Boys is anti-war. I think they get a short shrift because they have nothing to do with rock origins musically.
Possibly the expectation to have a signature tune like Comfortably Numb at the end of the album crerates the impression the rest after it is lesser material. But it's just another brick... the drug one. Apparently that happned to Rog once. Doc filled him with something so he could go on with the show...

One of the great  things about Floyd is that they made all these varied albums but very little sounds like another. Even The Wall's closest relative, The Final Cut, has a different sound and feel (chilly and austere) even if some music hearkens back to The Wall. Title track string harmnoies from Comfortably Numb for example.

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2010 at 22:37
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

Originally posted by Languagegeek Languagegeek wrote:

Filler? 

10. One of my turns (1:33) 11. Don't leave me now (4:22)

2. Is there anybody out there! (2:40) 3. Nobody home (3:25) 4. Vera (1:38) 5. Bring the boys back home (0:50)

8. In the flesh (4:16) (again) 10. Waiting for the worms (3:56) 11. Stop (0:34) 12. The trial (5:16) 13. Outside the wall (1:42)

Without doing the math, that looks like 25-30 minutes. 

Remove these bits and the thing makes less sense. Rog thought Bring The boys Back Home was the album's centrepiece. Outside the wall... there has to be some sort of denouement. The Trial is where all the baddy characters get togther and confront the central character. Pretty important bit in the story line I would have thought. This si the album's real climax. Gives Rog a chance to do all his charcter voices as well. Nobody's Home is the central character acknolweding where he comes from, nad hardly recognises. Nice guitar progression as well.In The Flesh is the central character becoming this fascist leader. As it was taken seriously by so many (despite it being intended to be satire) it just goes to show how unaware or directly nasty so many people are. (Don't mean you, dear reader. I mean them... not us!) It's not a repeat really. It seems it from some music (the reprsie idea) but the surrogate band has become Pink and followers and they're all fascists now. One of My Turns is a great climactic disintegration of personality. Inspired by - of all people - Roy Harper.Waiting For The Worms, all creepy nastiness. More facist diatribes and build up. Don't leave Me now? Forlorn and rejected the character now has nowhere to go but to become this fascist.Is the Anybody Out There?... this is the precursor to Comfortably Numb. Many tracks are in support of each other and taking some out of context might leave holes in the wall.  Each has it's value and not every track is really intended to be a set piece but establishing continuity - make the album flow. Vera and Bring The boys relate back to central character and Rog' Dad's past. Vera Lynn the WW2 soldier's sweetheart and Bring The Boys is anti-war. I think they get a short shrift because they have nothing to do with rock origins musically. Possibly the expectation to have a signature tune like Comfortably Numb at the end of the album crerates the impression the rest after it is lesser material. But it's just another brick... the drug one. Apparently that happned to Rog once. Doc filled him with something so he could go on with the show... One of the great  things about Floyd is that they made all these varied albums but very little sounds like another. Even The Wall's closest relative, The Final Cut, has a different sound and feel (chilly and austere) even if some music hearkens back to The Wall. Title track string harmnoies from Comfortably Numb for example.

Lyrically, none of the songs is filler. Musically, some people may find some songs notably weaker. From the list here, I particularly disagee with "In The Flesh", that one has even become an iconic Roger Waters song, and he seems to love playing it live. I particularly also like a lot "One of my Turns", "Is there anybody Out There?", and "Waiting for the Worms / Stop".
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2010 at 23:25
There's no sense in making a 0:34 seconds "filler" because it doesn't fill anything. The only Pink Floyd's filler I can think about is "Alan Psychedelic Breakfast"
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2010 at 01:51
Stop is a linking piece only.

I would be amused to death to hear a rehearsal and performance of a 34 second track. But I don't find anyhitng musically weak. The Trial is quite a large composition and has to do an awful lo. One Of My Turns is sheer build and dramtcic impact.

Just examples, don't want to rain on other opinions. I just hope we all get value out of it. Floyd went to a lot of effort with this and while not every track is going to be Comfy Numb alot of subtleties could be lost with underating less obvious moments. I kind of like the way everything flows as one complete flowing narrative (difficult reading the lyrics on my Japanese remaster cover but if you can it does. I suppose we hacve tpo be progressive with our listening.

Amusing notes dept. I once read a label on a copy of The Wall. It said 30th aniversary edition. That was in 1999. Another record company snooze moment! Pinch(For those unaware this album came out in 1979.)

And yeah Alan's Psych Brekkie is one the PF decided was a bad idea. There's a boot of a performance of this from late 1970. I wonder what happened to the food cooked on stage. On stage bacon and sausage sizzling to stoners with munchies. LOL
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2010 at 03:12

Stop is a linking piece only.

I would be amused to death to hear a rehearsal and performance of a 34 second track. But I don't find anyhitng musically weak. The Trial is quite a large composition and has to do an awful lo. One Of My Turns is sheer build and dramtcic impact.

Just examples, don't want to rain on other opinions. I just hope we all get value out of it. Floyd went to a lot of effort with this and while not every track is going to be Comfy Numb alot of subtleties could be lost with underating less obvious moments. I kind of like the way everything flows as one complete flowing narrative (difficult reading the lyrics on my Japanese remaster cover but if you can it does. I suppose we hacve tpo be progressive with our listening.

Amusing notes dept. I once read a label on a copy of The Wall. It said 30th aniversary edition. That was in 1999. Another record company snooze moment! Pinch(For those unaware this album came out in 1979.)

And yeah Alan's Psych Brekkie is one the PF decided was a bad idea. There's a boot of a performance of this from late 1970. I wonder what happened to the food cooked on stage. On stage bacon and sausage sizzling to stoners with munchies. LOL
That's why Waters turned to wine on the stage of  "In the Flesh". Big smile
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2010 at 23:01

Stop is a linking piece only. I would be amused to death to hear a rehearsal and performance of a 34 second track. But I don't find anyhitng musically weak. The Trial is quite a large composition and has to do an awful lo. One Of My Turns is sheer build and dramtcic impact. Just examples, don't want to rain on other opinions. I just hope we all get value out of it. Floyd went to a lot of effort with this and while not every track is going to be Comfy Numb alot of subtleties could be lost with underating less obvious moments. I kind of like the way everything flows as one complete flowing narrative (difficult reading the lyrics on my Japanese remaster cover but if you can it does. I suppose we hacve tpo be progressive with our listening.Amusing notes dept. I once read a label on a copy of The Wall. It said 30th aniversary edition. That was in 1999. Another record company snooze moment! Pinch(For those unaware this album came out in 1979.)And yeah Alan's Psych Brekkie is one the PF decided was a bad idea. There's a boot of a performance of this from late 1970. I wonder what happened to the food cooked on stage. On stage bacon and sausage sizzling to stoners with munchies. LOL

I think about Stop rather as part of the song "Waiting for the Worms" than as a filler.
LateralMe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2010 at 15:06
My vote went to WYWH
A Flower!?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123