Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPink Floyd Album Tournament: Semifinal Round 1

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Which of these two Pink Floyd albums is the best?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
16 [22.54%]
55 [77.46%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 15:29
I was gonna pick the one with the weird name.....but I picked Dark Side of the Moon...even tho I have never heard that album before but seems like the whole rock world likes it...

LOL
Jazzywoman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 15:43
Dark Side of the Moon.  Ummagumma is too inconsistent for me, at least.

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 15:45
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I was gonna pick the one with the weird name.....but I picked Dark Side of the Moon...even tho I have never heard that album before but seems like the whole rock world likes it...

LOL
The weird name means f**king in Canterbury's slang...LOL
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
thehallway View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 15:54
Once again, how many Ummugumma voters are just showing off....

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 16:02
Originally posted by thehallway thehallway wrote:

How many DSotM voters are just mindless pack followers?
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 16:15
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

You just exactly proved my point. Which is that some people have a dim view of liking anything that is popular.

I can't speak for everyone, but I prefer DSTOM because I enjoy listening to it more, that's all. The fact that it also happens to be loved by millions upon millions of people doesn't make a difference to me. And I very much doubt that anyone likes anything purely because they are 'following a pack' (what would be the advantage?). Whereas LOTS of people will say they like things that aren't as popular, sometimes genuinely, but often because they want to call other people mindless pack followers.

Of course, these people like Ummugumma more because they don't fool for mass-market aimed music. They're so individual and non-conformist. They have unique views that other mindless people will never understand and their tastes are really interesting!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 16:37

You just exactly proved my point. Which is that some people have a dim view of liking anything that is popular.

I can't speak for everyone, but I prefer DSTOM because I enjoy listening to it more, that's all. The fact that it also happens to be loved by millions upon millions of people doesn't make a difference to me. And I very much doubt that anyone likes anything purely because they are 'following a pack' (what would be the advantage?). Whereas LOTS of people will say they like things that aren't as popular, sometimes genuinely, but often because they want to call other people mindless pack followers.

Of course, these people like Ummugumma more because they don't fool for mass-market aimed music. They're so individual and non-conformist. They have unique views that other mindless people will never understand and their tastes are really interesting!

Ermm

Right.
40footwolf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 18:44

Who made you the Supreme Archwizard of taste? Why is it so hard to fathom that some people might sincerely enjoy Ummagumma more? 
Heaven's made a cesspool of us all.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 18:51
I don't mind liking popular music, but my tastes are not that popular.  If I turn on the radio and flick through the stations, chances are that I won't find any music that interests me.

25 years ago I loved Dark Side of the Moon, but now I find it mostly boring.  Ummagumma, on the other hand, genuinely appeals much more to me.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 18:54

I feel like I should not like DSOTM after this post??Confused

CryCryCry
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 19:47
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I don't mind liking popular music, but my tastes are not that popular.  If I turn on the radio and flick through the stations, chances are that I won't find any music that interests me.

25 years ago I loved Dark Side of the Moon, but now I find it mostly boring.  Ummagumma, on the other hand, genuinely appeals much more to me.

And that's also exactly how I feel (although I still like Dark Side, and haven't been around for 25 years). 

Ummagumma is, far and away, my favourite Floyd album (okay, that part isn't the same as how Logan feels, but, you know)

Edited by Triceratopsoil - November 13 2010 at 19:47
The_Jester View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 20:38
Dark Side of the Moon is crap compared to the albums before him.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 21:24
The thing that makes me like Ummagumma is mainly the live CD, but somehow that's not enough to make me choose it over Dark Side. However, if I were to choose between Dark Side and Live at Pompeii, there I would have a very difficult time. As a matter of fact, I wish Pompeii had been released as a CD too. It would seem to me that Pompeii was the last great testament of early Floyd, were they just got it all right and put it into one single recording.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2010 at 12:22
To 40footwolf:

It isn't hard to fathom. I can acknowledge that, but in some cases what I said applies. Waht can I say, it just does. Big smile And I wouldn't describe myself as a wizard for noticing.....

To catcher10:

LOL You've misread! Because my response was in defense of publicly liking Dark Side of the Moon.

Really I was just advocating honesty. But what I don't need now is a bunch more posts saying "Oh I am honest"...... because I wasn't even targeting the post at anyone in particular.

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2010 at 12:26
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Have i Missed a poll? Wasnt the last one Wall v WYWH? What happened to the albums after that? (from that round)
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2010 at 13:01

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

And that's also exactly how I feel (although I still like Dark Side, and haven't been around for 25 years). 

Ummagumma is, far and away, my favourite Floyd album (okay, that part isn't the same as how Logan feels, but, you know)

It's my second favourite Pink Floyd album -- it follows the Ron Geesin collaboration Atom Heart Mother. I adore the "Atom Heart Mother" suite.  Actually, as a young child, I preferred both Ummagumma and Atom Heart Mother to Dark Side of the Moon, as well as earlier albums (as with many people my age I had an older brother with Pink Floyd albums).  I have fond memories of Dark Side... from my  stoner teenage years, though.

I remember when I introduced Dark Side... to my wife, and she said "What's all the fuss about?" Not that we listen to most of the same music, but at the time I somewhat reluctantly agreed with her.  Back then, she did appreciate my Alan Parsons albums, though (which I mention since Parsons engineered Dark Side... and was directly responsible for various aspects of the album -- my favourite part of it with Clare Torry was his instigation).

Really I was just advocating honesty. But what I don't need now is a bunch more posts saying "Oh I am honest"...... because I wasn't even targeting the post at anyone in particular.

Why is "what you need" important to the discussion?  If 14 people came out and said that they are not just showing off, but genuinely prefer Ummagumma, would that allay your suspicions?

Steppenfloyd wrote this before your post:

Originally posted by steppenfloyd steppenfloyd wrote:

How the hell did Ummagumma get 2 votes?

And I had told him before you posted that I voted for it because I  preferred it -- an honest answer (and I assume the same of others, which is roughly one out of four voters).  I'm not sure why you felt the need to advocate honesty.  To each his or her own tastes.

I've come across quite a few people who don't think at all highly of Dark Side of the Moon -- maybe some votes for Ummagumma are a vote against Dark Side. There isn't sufficient evidence to suspect dishonesty here for there to be any need to advocate for honesty that I can see.

You did say "once again" so I guess you're basing your suspicions on past examples?

Edited by Logan - November 14 2010 at 13:11
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2010 at 13:20
Past experience yes.

And, for the 4th time, I was not suggesting that any of the people who before said that they prefered Ummugumma were the ones who fell to this observation, just some people and of course, the poster who alleged to "mindless pack followers"....

I think most people here can recognise my observation, but many are expanding it from the said some, to "anyone who voted Ummugumma on this poll".

But someone who is perhaps voting on strange grounds is unlikely to admit it anyway, so your search for 'evidence of dishonesty' will be futile.

Let us just accept that the point I made has an application to life, whether or not it is occuring in this poll.

Smile Shall we move on?

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2010 at 13:28

Past experience yes.

And, for the 4th time, I was not suggesting that any of the people who before said that they prefered Ummugumma were the ones who fell to this observation, just some people and of course, the poster who alleged to "mindless pack followers"....

You're a horrible troll, I legitimately far prefer Ummagumma and I've stated that at least, probably, 20 times on PA

No part of Dark Side, nor even the album as a whole, can come even remotely near as brilliant as this

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2010 at 13:35
Is nobody listening to a word I'm saying?

And, what's a troll?

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2010 at 13:39

Is nobody listening to a word I'm saying?

And, what's a troll?

I'm "listening" buddy!Hug

...and I don't think you are a troll. Treceratopsoil sometimes is though.

Edited by Snow Dog - November 14 2010 at 13:40
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>