Topic ClosedCMX at Helsinki, Tavastia - 4th Dec 2010

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: CMX at Helsinki, Tavastia - 4th Dec 2010
    Posted: December 05 2010 at 02:16

As a surprise I got a possibility to check this band on stage, after receiving a free ticket from my friend, who alas was unable to attend the concert herself. I listened this band quite much as teenager, and preserve their “Kolmikärki” and “Veljeskunta” vinyls as masterful artifacts of Finnish rock history. I admit I lost my deepest personal interest to their following records, which certainly kept the quality line and even developed it, but maybe to directions I did not prefer so much. Thus the material was unknown to me, excluding one older song “Neljäs valtakunta”, treated in a very mature way, combining the early days fury and later days confidence. The other new songs were quite nice though, and I think I should pay some attention to their recent albums.

Generally their music is duo-guitar dominated and riff oriented melodic rock, enriched with both intelligent arrangements and pleasant amount of musical information, the presence of these qualities varying song-specifically though. The long lasted musical path of the group has been vivid, varying from hard-core punk to artsy popular hard rock, and also in some more recent 21st century records they leaned to the progressive rock oriented directions. This diversity of musical style inspirations is a richness, as all of the years and experiences gained melt as a solid unique sound, which however relates strongly in the popular hard- rock frame of reference. In addition steady-pulsed riff-driven songs, there were moments for some neat guitar picking web weavings, reminding from my own musical experiences some tunes of Tuvalu and King Crimson, and also wild rhythmic complexities, associating slightly with later records of Rush. Also a drum solo sequence was included to the set, not being maybe the biggest highlight, but not poor or annoying either.

My attention was mostly caught by the singer / lyricist / bass player A.W.Yrjänä, who’s warm-hearted, casual and calm presence was very enchanting. Couldn't escape the expressive stares from the mirror of his soul, observing the audience. He has been quite much in publicity at the local media, and has proven his civil intelligence to me with sophisticated statements, and with poem books he has released in addition of doing the song lyrics. His Rickenbacker bass sounds were set to quite low-frequency and round tones, not very strongly audible excluding the song moments, where the louder guitars and drums silenced, giving him space to underline the rhythm and vocal parts for contrasting effects. Also in the final encores there were some more virtuous solos from higher octaves present. The band’s overall contact to the crowd was one of the best and frank I have ever seen, communicating with sincere and relaxed manner. The main set lasted only about bit over an hour, and there was longer encore set with audiences possibility to request songs, ending to a legendary hard-core closing joker (“tuvassa on sanko” etc.). Stage visuals were mostly created with very neat portfolio of installations from basic colour stage light using, and a illustrated background carpet, being hidden to shadows most of the time. Sounds were in my opinion mixed well, though in some parts I was unable to hear the lyrics well enough. This however might be due my currently decreased hearing ability focused especially in the speech area (would it be wise to use plugs in concerts or no?).

As a conclusion, it is pleasure to witness a chart blockbuster rock band to have warmly human touch united with professionalism, and the evening was quite enjoyable even for person not associating himself to be among the long line devoted fans. The group has serious domestic follow-up, and in many parts they needed only to keep the quiet rhythm beating, and allow the full house crowd do the choir singing. As writing to this essay to a global progressive rock site, I wondered is there much from them to give to listener not interested in Finnish rock music. Maybe the later records with progressive experimentations might be curious for fans of modern heavy progressive rock, and the earlier records for punk / underground enthusiastic. However, if you are in Finland and have possibility to check their concerts, I would dare to claim you get a pleasant rock concert experience from them.

Later in the evening there would have been a discoteqhue for the concert attendees, also open to people wihtout the concert ticket fee, but I had to hurry to check out how my lame psychedelic cap succeeded at Kyllirieha's paper hat design contests in another bar, so I had to take my leave.

Edit: Updated pic

Edited by Eetu Pellonpaa - May 12 2017 at 06:39
 Post Reply Post Reply