Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Tribute Bands and Prog Radio
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Musical Box (Genesis Coverband)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Musical Box (Genesis Coverband)
    Posted: December 15 2010 at 11:28
What? No topic about "The Musical Box", the professional Genesis Coverband. 
They're covering the classics Genesis Shows with an official license of Genesis. At the moment they doing the A Trick Of The Tail Tour. Next Year, they will do the Lamb Tour again. All members of Genesis have been in their audience except of Tony Banks I mean. 

Phil Collins performed himself on the drums to the Track "Musical Box" on their last Lamb Tour in 2005 in Genf: 

This is a trailer from the 1974 "Selling England Black Tour" Tour (2007): 

and a trailer from the 1976 "A Trick" Tour (2008): 

I didn't had the opportunity to see them live, but I want to see the Lamb Tour next year. 
Btw - Im very happy that this Progarchives Forum is very Genesis affine. LOL
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2010 at 11:41
They happened to be playing in Toronto when I was there on vacation a few years ago.  I came pretty close to going to see them, but I wasn't a big enough Genesis fan to part with the kind of money they were asking for to see them.

By the way, there haven't been any recent threads regarding the Musical Box, but there were a few older ones like this one http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=54529&KW=the+musical+box&PID=3098176&title=the-musical-box-nyc#3098176 and I know that they are mentioned whenever a "Prog Tribute Band" thread shows up. 

Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2010 at 12:28
I saw their Lamb show a couple of years back, it is not to be missed!
Bigger on the inside.
Juan Carlos de Mulde View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2010 at 14:05
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

By the way, there haven't been any recent threads regarding the Musical Box, but there were a few older ones like this one http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=54529&KW=the+musical+box&PID=3098176&title=the-musical-box-nyc#3098176 and I know that they are mentioned whenever a "Prog Tribute Band" thread shows up. 

Hm, I searched for "The Musical Box", but the search function found nothing. But Im suprised at poor response of The Musical Box in this forum here. If I check out another Forums or Genesis Pages they are always on topic...
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2010 at 14:19
When you do a search, the default search time is 6 Months, so it only brings up threads that were started in the previous 6 months.  If you change the search time to "any time", it will bring up all threads that were created regarding The Musical Box.  Most, if not all of them were more than 6 months old and have been closed for new posts, but they can still be read if you are interested.  The ones that I saw were from a year or two ago and discussed them performing A Trick of A Tail. 
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2010 at 15:09
I have seen them do a show based on the same set list as played by Genesis in 1973 (post Selling England By The Pound). They recreate the shows in every possible detail using orginal props and even doing the Gabriel monologues in between the songs.Extremely impressive and a must for Genesis fans.
The Neck Romancer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2010 at 15:16
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

When you do a search, the default search time is 6 Months, so it only brings up threads that were started in the previous 6 months.  If you change the search time to "any time", it will bring up all threads that were created regarding The Musical Box.  Most, if not all of them were more than 6 months old and have been closed for new posts, but they can still be read if you are interested.  The ones that I saw were from a year or two ago and discussed them performing A Trick of A Tail. 

It's better to search using the homepage search function than searching in the forum.
Chela View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2010 at 23:06

I'd like to see them. I mean, considering the chances of Genesis getting back together for a little tour are slim, I think this would be a nice treat. Their videos look alright. Have they or are they planning to come to the LA area?

Formentera Lady View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2010 at 11:44
I am so much a Genesis fan that I haven't dared, yet, to see them. I am too afraid that I might get disappointed about the fact, that it is 'only' a cover band and not the 'real' ones playing.
topographicbroadways View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2010 at 19:54
i really want to see them but i've missed them the only time they've come to the u.k so i'll have to wait a little longer. Maybe i'll hold off until they do the Wind and Wuthering tour which is my favourite Genesis show
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2010 at 22:41
I only was fortunate to see this band once. It was one of  their only California appearances in 2004 and they were doing the Lamb.  I was completely stunned at the detail they played the music and looked the part.  More Rock Theater than a concert. I am glad the real Genesis licensed this group.  While Tony Banks may never have seen the group it was he who took them into the studio to here the multi track recordings in order to perfect the music.  Remember they do not recreate the live music but the studio music live. 

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2010 at 07:20
I've seen The Musical Box twice now and both times were fantastic.  The Lamb tour was stunning and the Seling England tour was fantastic as well.  I haven't checked their site out for a while to see if the Trick tour will be coming my way...I would be so there if it does.
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2010 at 20:44
I have seen TMB five times: all four tours (Foxtrot, SE, Lamb, TOTT) once, and Foxtrot twice.  Most of the players have physical resemblances to the members of Genesis (until recently, only the keyboardist did not, but now the drummer does not either, as their former drummer left), and they use the exact same equipment.  For The Lamb, they also use not only the original costumes, but are the only band that Genesis provided all of the original 1200 slides to, so that the show would be perfect.  (And most of the members of Genesis have not only seen the band, but have sat in for one or more songs at least once.)  Note that the former drummer - who is a dead ringer for Collins - left to start his own, Collins-centered Genesis cover band.  In this regard, I don't think the lead singer of TMB pulls off Collins as well as he does Gabriel - but he does Gabriel better than anyone you will ever see.  And as others have noted, the music itself is note-perfect, including all effects.

If you have never seen TMB and have a chance to, run - don't walk - to see them.  They do not disappoint.
Kix View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2011 at 13:07

Just bought 2 tix to see em in Milwaukee in October.

Never seen this show, but I've seen them play Foxtrot, SEBTP, The Black Show, and Trick so I guess this will be my 5th time seeing them.

Like other posters said, RUN to see them. I bought front center tix for 35 each, thats nothing.
Yequan View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2011 at 02:27
If you change the search time "any time", it will bring Chanel Bags all the threads are created for the music box...
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2011 at 09:21
Just found out that TMB is coming to St. Louis for the Lamb and I am about to go out of my mind in anticipation. Saw Gabriel last month and now the closest I'll get to seeing the original Genesis.

I have no problem with good tribute bands, because they're often better shows than the 60 year old original members. I think Genesis would be amazing if they ever got back together, but it's not going to happen so I'll be happy with this. (Also would get to see in a small venue for reasonable price)
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
captain2man View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2011 at 20:17
I saw The Musical Box at Westbury Music Fair on Long Island (mostly a nostalgia-acts type venue - but a few shows a year peak my interest....and it is one of the greatest venues to see a concert)....on the Trick of a Tail tour.

I am always hesitant about seeing tribute bands - but they blew me away....a few songs in - I really wasn't even consciously thinking that I was seeing a tribute band anymore.

Will definitely see the Lamb tour if it comes to the NYC/LI area.
I am the ocean
Lit by the flame
I am the mountain
Peace is my name
I am the river
Touched by the wind
I am the story
I never end.
NeoGnostic View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2011 at 12:10
  I was amazed when I watched them perform "The Lamb" in L.A. a few years ago.  One of the best shows I've ever seen.   PERFECT! Clap
The Wrinkler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2011 at 13:06
I believe they're playing the Lamb in L.A. next thursday! That reminds me, I better buy some tickets.
Fox On The Rocks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2011 at 15:45
They're playing in Toronto in November. I need to get tickets now!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>