Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBrainstorm

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brainstorm
    Posted: January 07 2011 at 17:54
Calling all Brainstorm fans!
          I am not referring to the Latvian band, or the hard rock one, but the inimitable German jazz-rock group that released two studio albums in the early seventies (Smile Awhile and Second Smile)
          Later were issued two live cds Live in Bremen 73 and Last Smile
         They and their members are very rarely mentioned in PA, but are a phenomenal group of musicians, and produced some wild and wooly fusion that knocks you out on record or in a live situation.
           The debut Smile Awhile is their best, but all the recordings are great. (They are a band that can do not wrong for me)
           Would love to hear from other fans, and possibly someone that saw them live.
            I would also like to know what the former members are doing now? Anybody have any idea?
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2011 at 19:49
Brainstorm were an excellent band indeed; their best known member is probably Roland Schaeffer who later became a member of Guru Guru and Embryo, so he should be well known to Krautrock fans. He also plays with guitar and oud player Roman Bunka (who also was and is a member of Embryo) in a band called "RoRo" They are not in the archives though, but here an example of them live:

Here another video of them with Indish percusiionist Ramesh Shotam perhaps they shoud be named RoRoRa in that line-up), who also appeared on several abums of Embryo but also has a jazz rock band of his own.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2011 at 22:24
Thanks for your response, Baldfriede
          Roland Schaeffer was also in the krautrock group Jail, which featured the late Helmut Koellen as well
        Had not heard of RoRo or "RoRoRa"-i shall investigate further-thanks!
          My computer setup is very primitive, and i cannot play videos or hear music with it, but when i get to my sister's, i will check these videos
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2011 at 04:59
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Thanks for your response, Baldfriede
          Roland Schaeffer was also in the krautrock group Jail, which featured the late Helmut Koellen as well
        Had not heard of RoRo or "RoRoRa"-i shall investigate further-thanks!
          My computer setup is very primitive, and i cannot play videos or hear music with it, but when i get to my sister's, i will check these videos

Schaeffer also released a solo album in the late 70s with the help of musicans from Guru Guru, Kraan and the likes. It is called "Roland and the Dadadogs".

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2011 at 00:24

Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Brainstorm were an excellent band indeed; their best known member is probably Roland Schaeffer who later became a member of Guru Guru and Embryo, so he should be well known to Krautrock fans. He also plays with guitar and oud player Roman Bunka (who also was and is a member of Embryo) in a band called "RoRo"

Very nice ... and one funny thing ... that oud playing sounds so similar to the early Egberto Gismonti stuff when he was playing guitar more ... very nice indeed!

Must get!

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply