Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAre the Decemberists prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2011 at 19:26
Fairport Convention aren't even listed in this website as a prog folk band(although Pentangle are) which I find interesting not to mention puzzling.  I guess you can't get too caught up in the labels huh?  This is a genre I'm interested in exploring further. THere doesn't seem to be many recent bands who fall under the category of prog folk so I'll probably check them out as soon as possible. 

Edited by Prog_Traveller - January 09 2011 at 19:28
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2011 at 19:30
^check Epignosis' summary he posted here of each album, that'll give you a good idea what to expect from each and which you'd want to start with.
Xanatos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2011 at 21:02
Since Bjork entered the archives i dont really take to  serious the new additions 
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2011 at 21:35
Originally posted by Xanatos Xanatos wrote:

Since Bjork entered the archives i dont really take to  serious the new additions 

The Decemberists are not a new addition as far as I'm concerned. Ermm
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2011 at 21:42
Jeez here we go.

The Decemberists are fully worthy of inclusion here (if for no other reason than Hazards), 

The fortunate fact is this is an adventurous band, willing to take chances that cause those with less belief to quail and run for the nearest exit.

I've not heard the new album.  I've heard their cover of Row Jimmy.  I'm probably in some minority, but I'll say that is a beautiful and completely proggy rendition of the Dead song.  sh*t, where's my  bong. 

Make no mistake, them Decemberists are as about as good as it gets these days.

Why is it that there is this "are they fooling us/are they prog sh*t" talk.? 

You do realize, everyone, that he called and cried, he called and cried so!

They's a damn good band,   I can assure you crappy bands, prog or otherwise, do not randomly pull The Island out of their ass.  It just does not happen.

What does happen is that adventurous bands push and push, and the particularly skilled ones come up with a The Crane Wife or The Hazards of Love, and the really intelligent amongst them may on occasion take a breather.

If the new album is a breather, well good for The Decemberists, to have the sense to realize following Hazards up with something more grandiose was a fool's game.  Row Jimmy.

Can you tell me where we're headin'?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon.
maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2011 at 07:49

Xanatos:

Bjork?  I left PA when Queen was added, and there was quite a hullaballoo at the time: a huge controversy and debate, and even a quasi-mutiny (LOL).  The argument made by those opposed (of which I was one) was that, despite quasi-prog elements on Queen II and NATO, Queen was simply NOT "prog."  This led to a huge debate about whether a band should be added if only one or two albums (or, even moreso, one or two SONGS) out of a significant oeuvre should be considered "prog" for the purpose of inclusion on the site.  I still say "no," but have made my peace with PA and its leaders.

That said, were this my site, I would probably put The Decemberists (who I like alot) in "prog related."  However, I would consider prog folk an acceptable secondary label, as that is what they are closest to; at times, they remind me of a sort of "calmer" "neo"-Comus.

Peace.

P.S.  If it is true that Fairport Cconvention is not included on PA, that is an error.  They are either proto-prog or prog-folk.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2011 at 07:53
Originally posted by maani maani wrote:

Xanatos:

Bjork?  I left PA when Queen was added, and there was quite a hullaballoo at the time: a huge controversy and debate, and even a quasi-mutiny (LOL).  The argument made by those opposed (of which I was one) was that, despite quasi-prog elements on Queen II and NATO, Queen was simply NOT "prog."  This led to a huge debate about whether a band should be added if only one or two albums (or, even moreso, one or two SONGS) out of a significant oeuvre should be considered "prog" for the purpose of inclusion on the site.  I still say "no," but have made my peace with PA and its leaders.

That said, were this my site, I would probably put The Decemberists (who I like alot) in "prog related."  However, I would consider prog folk an acceptable secondary label, as that is what they are closest to; at times, they remind me of a sort of "calmer" "neo"-Comus.

Peace.

P.S.  If it is true that Fairport Cconvention is not included on PA, that is an error.  They are either proto-prog or prog-folk.

They are in Prog Related I think, but it's easy to check.Big smile
Majikthise View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2011 at 08:15

I'd honestly never considered that The Decemberists might be thought of as a prob band. I love them dearly, I just don't think of them as prog. 

That said, all the progheads on this forum who haven't heard that band will love The Hazards of Love and The Tain (which is an 18 minute single). 

I don't really give a sh*t if they should or should not be included on this site. There's more music than just prog, and The Decemberists happen to be an excellent band that proggies can get into. Check them out.

Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2011 at 08:18

December is old news already, I prefer January prog now.
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2011 at 08:28
/\ Can't argue with that.
Hawkwise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2011 at 09:49
Bjork ? Queen ? Decemberists ? but NO  The Sensational Alex Harvey Band   pfft what a Joke 
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2011 at 21:53
[/QUOTE]

They are in Prog Related I think, but it's easy to check.Big smile
[/QUOTE]

I meant that they are not included under prog folk or folk prog or whatever. LOL. They are indeed in the prog related section which I find interesting.

SoundscapeMN View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2011 at 01:19
Originally posted by Prog_Traveller Prog_Traveller wrote:

THere doesn't seem to be many recent bands who fall under the category of prog folk so I'll probably check them out as soon as possible. 

The River Empires. They are prog, and you and many on this site should dig them.

Lehto and Wright are another one. Their latest record "Children's Songs" is a 4-track epic masterpiece, including the title track which is this amazing 32 minute medley of sorts that works wonderfully.

Edited by SoundscapeMN - January 11 2011 at 01:20

http://last.fm/user/SoundscapeMN
http://allmediareviews.blogspot.com
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2011 at 01:50
Well, My copy of The Decemberists 'The Crane Wife' just arrived in the mail! I am just about to put it on. I hope its as good as people say it is.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12