FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNoise, EAI, Drone, et cetera

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Noise, EAI, Drone, et cetera
    Posted: March 13 2011 at 01:26
Since it seems the last of the noise threads has been locked thought I'd make a new one. And this one encompasses a slight broad area.

Cannot, for the life of me, work out how to embed a video here, but some live Pedestrian Deposit:
http://swen.antville.org/stories/2038395/

Anyway, I'll part with more words if anyone bites.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2011 at 03:37
I've been known to indulge in some Sunn o))) and Boris, but that's about it
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2011 at 03:40
I know not a thing of EAI, noise is not my thing and I can't say I care for drone at all.

I will admit, to my great surprise I actually enjoy Sunn O)))'s "Monoliths and Dimensions" but that's pretty much it.
And even that, don't really get much enjoyment "listening" to it, more enjoyable playing it really loud over speakers and being bombarded by it.

In which case, why not just be hit with pure sonic waves? LOL

Edited by JJLehto - March 13 2011 at 03:41
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2011 at 03:52
Apparently this is the best drone album of the year. 
Noak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2011 at 07:43
I am a huge fan of this type of music. And the Drone album of the year is Trailed & Kept by Demian Johnston & Mink Stole.

Examples of stuff I love:

I could go on all day, but I won't.

Edited by Noak - March 13 2011 at 07:44
Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2011 at 18:28
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

In which case, why not just be hit with pure sonic waves? LOL

Indeed, sometimes it pays to head down to the local construction site and soak up the sounds than forking out tha' cash for an album that sounds like it's deconstructing you speakers. sh*t, I've heard a cement mixers spittin' out noise (of all frequencies) heavy than any latter day Drumm album :P But, in seriousness that's a reason Sunn o))) concerts are so f**king loud.

Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Apparently this is the best drone album of the year. 

I've got FrequencyLib by him, which I thinks from 2001 (I'd have to check). Also, his splits with Ekkehard Ehlers are a little more active if people find that boring.

Noak, fire away, I was kind of hoping this thread would slip into the discussion mode for those sonically inclined. Two of my housemate's and I dinned listening to that Kazumoto endo album the other night, fun as hell. You got any other Ashley? Automatic Writings is an indispensable part of my collection, got it and a couple of others on vinyl too.

Swear they used to have the whole Wolfman album up here, but: http://www.ubu.com/sound/ashley.html 
Noak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2011 at 11:40
http://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/robert_ashley/wolfman/ is the only Robert Ashley album I've heard yet. All the pieces on it are great.

I would greatly recommend listening to the rest 4 of Kama by Hild Sofie Tafjord which I linked, it's an album I praise on every occaison I get. Truly amazing.

While You Were Out by Kazumoto Endo is pretty much the best Harsh Noise album you can find. Then you can check out Merzbow (Hybrid Noisebloom, Venereaology, Flare Gun), Keiji Haino (I Said This is the Son of Nihilism, C'est Parfait..., Next Let's Try Chaning the Shape) or The Gerogerigegege (Senzuri Champion, Senzuri Power Up, Instruments Disorder) for more great japanese Noise. You should also check out Tetsuo Furudate from the japanese Noise scene, Othello as Noise Opera is fantastic. 

Unleash by Zbigniew Karkowski and Daniel Menche is a great Harsh Noise album.

My recommendations for  EAI are slimmer in amount since I haven't actually heard that much. Even though it's a genre that interestes me greatly. I have two albums which I would recommend; Hammeriver by Hammeriver, and In Search of Wild Tulips by Erik Carlsson, Tetuzi Akiyama, Henrik Olsson and Toshimaru Nakamura.

Drone. Natural Snow Buildings whole discography. And a guy named Tony Conrad is also great, especially an album of his called Slapping Pythagoras. Vol IV by Datashock and Shivers, Strings of Consciousness and Angel by the band of the same name, Telesman by Axolotl, Freedom Meditation Music I by Valerio Cosi. Some that spring to mind. 

Some great classic Noise/Drone!

The Pessimist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2011 at 13:02
A little bit twisted, but Nurse With Wound is one of my favourite avant-garde / noise artists.
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2011 at 14:30
I very rarely think guitar-based drone is good. Sunn O))) is especially bad. But I do Like Natural Snow Buildings and Earth, but because they spice it up and NSB has some very compelling textures and colors to the sound.

Fennesz is a good ambient artist with some noise here and there. Static and different colors of noise can be compelling in a musical context, as well as glitch, but without any kind of grounding in a progression or melody or chord change of some sort, there is absolutely no point in listening to it for me.
Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2011 at 19:55
Originally posted by Noak Noak wrote:

My recommendations for  EAI are slimmer in amount since I haven't actually heard that much. Even though it's a genre that interestes me greatly. I have two albums which I would recommend; Hammeriver by Hammeriver, and In Search of Wild Tulips by Erik Carlsson, Tetuzi Akiyama, Henrik Olsson and Toshimaru Nakamura.

If you're interested I could give some suggestions? The genre only gets better in respect to the ones you recommended ;) Something in the interim (I'm running late for numerous things) taking us back to the early days, chocked full with some heavy hitters: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EKo8jiM79Q&feature=related 

BTW I'd assume (in consideration of your avvy) you're a fan of Roy Andersson?

Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

I very rarely think guitar-based drone is good. Sunn O))) is especially bad. But I do Like Natural Snow Buildings and Earth, but because they spice it up and NSB has some very compelling textures and colors to the sound.

Fennesz is a good ambient artist with some noise here and there. Static and different colors of noise can be compelling in a musical context, as well as glitch, but without any kind of grounding in a progression or melody or chord change of some sort, there is absolutely no point in listening to it for me.

Agree with you entirely about Sunn o))) I never could workout why they gained such wide spread success, but each to their own. Analogue drone can be just as bad, saw Nadja live in Berlin two years ago, one of the most boring shows I've attended, if it were for the pub afterward would have been a write-off of a night.

Have you mainly stuck with Fennesz's solo output or looked into some of his collaborations? Any favourites?

Edited by Apsalar - March 14 2011 at 19:56
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2011 at 20:21
Originally posted by Apsalar Apsalar wrote:

Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Agree with you entirely about Sunn o))) I never could workout why they gained such wide spread success, but each to their own. Analogue drone can be just as bad, saw Nadja live in Berlin two years ago, one of the most boring shows I've attended, if it were for the pub afterward would have been a write-off of a night.

Have you mainly stuck with Fennesz's solo output or looked into some of his collaborations? Any favourites?

I'm mostly familiar with his solo stuff. I can't recall ever listening to any of his split releases, but I seem to recall hearing him associated with another artist I've heard.

Also, to anyone who digs drone and ambient I suggest you take a listen to Tim Hecker's new album, Ravedeath 1972. I'm not sure I'd put Hecker over Fennesz, but I like their outputs a lot.
Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2011 at 17:47
Don't know much Tim Hecker, tho' I've enjoyed some Hecker (aka Florin Hecker) albums which are slight more noisy...

This came in the mail yesterday:

"With Waste Of Songs Joe Colley offers a series of events jumping between brutal noise, field recording, and (fake?) psychoacoustic tonal interactions. The result is a tightly edited collage journey through states of mental duress and negative reactions to an environment. There are sounds of broken or dying equipment, devices pushed to limits, attempts to coax out spontaneous reactions from feedback and linked cheap electronics. A strong statement, and an evolution showing the next direction of his desire to reach emotional states through the coldness of electronic sound. Joe Colley (b.1972 Ft. Lauderdale) is a self-taught artist concerned primarily with the phenomena of sound and its unique ability to activate a consciousness set apart from rational understanding in a way very different from visual or verbal means. This consuming interest has led to extensive experimentation with results occasionally made public through performances, installations, and commercially available recordings. These experiments have encompassed abstract electronic/noise composition, amplification of natural phenomena, investigations into phase, and creation of complex mass from layers of simplistic sound material, often with an attention to the mundane or pathetic." taken from http://www.forcedexposure.com/artists/colley.joe.html

Noak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2011 at 18:16
Originally posted by Apsalar Apsalar wrote:

If you're interested I could give some suggestions? The genre only gets better in respect to the ones you recommended ;) Something in the interim (I'm running late for numerous things) taking us back to the early days, chocked full with some heavy hitters: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EKo8jiM79Q&feature=related 

BTW I'd assume (in consideration of your avvy) you're a fan of Roy Andersson?

Sorry, I didn't notice that you answered me. If you have recommendations please share. I really liked the link, lots of names I recognized too. And yes, I am a fan of Roy Andersson. Du Levande is one of my favorite films of all time.

I started listening to the Improvised Music From Japan collection today, I'm loving it so far. Contains stuff from Tetuzi Akiyama, Toshimaru Nakamura, Ground Zero, Aki Onda, Yoshihide Otomo, Taku Sugimoto and many more. http://www.discogs.com/Various-Improvised-Music-From-Japan/release/534701

I was surprised to find this on Spotify the other day: Thomas Ankersmit – Live In Utrecht. One of my favorite albums of 2010.
Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2011 at 00:59
That IMJ collection is good to find your feet. I'd go through pick out names you like and go from there.

Okay, so stuff I think might be a good start, most of this stuff is older (hence sometimes a bitch to get), so if you want newer stuff just say. Other than the Lescalleet I've tried to stay away from solo albums. This was a bit hard than I was expecting, but then again I've always been utter useless when it comes to making list, so take it with a grain of salt... 

AMM Before driving to the chapel we took coffee with Rick and Jennifer Reed (not sure if you've heard later day AMM? But this album is ace.)
Dafeldecker / Kurzmann / Fennesz / O'Rourke / Drumm orange disc (this is the one from youtube link)
Keith Rowe/Günter Müller/Taku Sugimoto The World Turned Upside Down
Jason Lescalleet Mattresslessness
Kaffe Mathews/Andrea Neumann/Sachiko M In case of fire take the stairs
Taku Sugimoto/Masafumi Ezaki/Taku Unami Trio At Offsite
Toshimaru Nakamura/Tetuzi Akiyama Meeting at Off Site vol. 2
Gunter Muller/Masahiko Okura/Otomo Yoshihide/Taku Sugimoto Metal Tastes Like Orange
MIMEO/John Tilbury The Hands of Caravaggio
Greg Kelley/Jason Lescalleet Forlorn Green

Re: Roy Andersson:I've seen Sånger från andra våningen & Du levande both of which were great.

Originally posted by Noak Noak wrote:

I was surprised to find this on Spotify the other day: Thomas Ankersmit – Live In Utrecht. One of my favorite albums of 2010.

Word, this was definitely one of the better albums to come out last year :)

Noak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2011 at 07:08
Thanks for the recs! Looks like interesting stuff.  really want to get my hands on the Orange Disc. 
Found an album which I am really falling for today, The Moments Energy by The Evan Parker Electro-Acoustic Ensemble. Highly recommended.

You really don't need to see any more films by Roy Andersson, those two are the essential ones. He has made two short films though that are quite interesting; Härlig är Jorden and Någonting Har Hänt.

EDIT: Pressed post by mistake.

Edited by Noak - March 27 2011 at 07:14
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2011 at 13:21
SarahKerrigan View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2013 at 11:24
Hello Guys,

sorry, I don't have the permission to open a new topic. But I want to have some recommendations to drone music and there especially to dark lower frequency drones or deep sequencer samples.

I want to give you some examples for what I am looking for:

Examples for deep drone sounds:

Examples for deep sequencer sounds:

(starting with the sequences at approx. at the middle of the piece)

I am not looking for higher pitched sounds or noise like Stockhausens normal compositions for example (btw the Kraftwerk piece is a little bit noisy). Now it would be glad to find other interested people for this music. Does anyone have some nice recommendations for something comparable music I posted?

regards,
Sarah

King Only View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2013 at 13:46
There's a band called E.A.R. (Experimental Audio Research) that have done some good drone albums. 

Edited by King Only - May 19 2013 at 13:46
 Post Reply Post Reply