FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedEmulating Classic Prog Is Not Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 23>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Emulating Classic Prog Is Not Prog
    Posted: April 20 2011 at 22:53
Listening to new albums by the likes of Phideaux and The Watch, I begin to wonder if this is even prog at all.

"Aah, but they sound just like classic prog acts such as Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd and Jethro Tull."

Exactly. They're imitating established successful formula. This is the opposite of prog.

To me prog is not a musical style, it is an attitude where new things are tried. Some of this "dad-rock prog" is about as progressive as Coldplay. Prog should threaten and challenge expectations. Some of the recent records receiving high praise here are as threatening and challenging as a cup of warm milk with some chocolate teddy bear biscuits on the side. They are comfy old pairs of slippers.

Note that I am not attacking Yes/Genesis etc. In their day, what they were doing was new/different and so they really are the genuine article. It's the people/bands who think that 40 years later it's acceptable, even praiseworthy, to be doing more or less the exact same thing, that I have a problem with. As I said in my Phideaux review, I understand wanting to make an album like the ones that inspired you but it's a lose/lose situation. If you fail, well you failed. And if you succeed, it's redundant because those albums already exist.

"Gosh I hate all this pop music, all predictably following established patterns in the pursuit of the success of others. Anyway, check out this new prog band, they're great, they capture the spirit of classic Yes to a tee." Ooh look it's got a 20 minute song with old fashioned key boards and mystical lyrics and silly time changes and it doesn't take me out of my little comfort zone, five stars. This is flagrantly sad/embarrassing nostalgia and it's super-unprogressive.

I'm not the biggest Kayo Dot fan but they are an example of a band who is prog precisely because I *don't* hear echoes of Genesis and Yes et al. They are doing their own thing. Or someone like Opeth, chiefly responsible for bringing what had a been a largely ostracised genre (death metal) in from the cold. Doing something new.

How does a site dedicated to musical adventurousness and experimentation lavish such praise on those who coast on the glories of others? And at the same time, if you suggest something genuinely new, like a prog album which contains drum and bass or rap or country-western themes, many will react with revulsion and disgust.

I think a lot of people here like the idea of being prog, rather than actually being prog.
colorofmoney91 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2011 at 22:56
I actually feel the same way. After all, the making new, previously undone, "progressive" music that kept developing over album releases was the definition and purpose of early King Crimson, I believe.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2011 at 22:57
Also, I've been looking for progressive rap krautrock, but have had no luck thus far.
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2011 at 22:57
Gotta say, I kind of expected this would be a newbie who had the Final Ultimate Totally For Serious Now Definition of Prog all figured out.

I'm ever more perplexed now.

We've flogged this horse so much all zebras now walk with a limp.
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2011 at 22:58
Everyone has different ideas of prog. In the end it's all just music and a lot of people listen to it to enjoy it. Maybe it takes a bit more to entertain their brain than the casual radio listener but that doesn't mean by extension that they have heard everything that came before and are listening to it checking if it is brand new.

I don't listen to The Watch but I do listen to Phideaux, and I listen to it for different reasons than I listen to Yes or Genesis. Yeah, it has a lot of symphonic-ness going on, but it is utilised in different ways than either of those bands. One of the biggest features of the band for me are the vocals, I love both the gorgeous female vocals and Phideaux's unique voice. The music is consistently enchanting, the melodies nice. But that's just my opinion.

I think that prog suffers from the genre name. One the one hand, people come to it because some of the music was literally progressive. Fair. But that's true for a lot of genres, that at some time or another were doing things that were brand new. Then people started to work within the frameworks of what they thought worked or didn't work from these original ideas, fleshing it out, adding new things, doing their own take of it. But because prog is called "progressive" rock, bands that don't take this approach will always be taken down by those drawn to it because of the "progressiveness" of the music as opposed to just liking the sound. But both camps are right, because in the end music is a personal experience whose value comes from our own response to it.
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2011 at 23:00
Adventurousness and experimentation, you say?  RIO/Avant, I say. Tongue

I agree in a way that some of the bands you mentioned aren't quite as progressive as the originals, but I don't dislike them because of that.  Some of them I dislike because of the music, others I enjoy because I enjoy the style presented by those "original" bands.  I prefer the groups who lean more towards the jazz/chamber/improvisational side of things (as I said earlier, RIO/Avant), because a lot of what they do does sound less derivative, not to mention less like anything else around. 
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2011 at 23:02
Originally posted by colorofmoney91 colorofmoney91 wrote:

Also, I've been looking for progressive rap krautrock, but have had no luck thus far.

Have you heard Faust vs. Dalek?

Edited by A Person - April 20 2011 at 23:05
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2011 at 23:05
Originally posted by A Person A Person wrote:

Originally posted by colorofmoney91 colorofmoney91 wrote:

Have you heard Faust vs. Dalek?

Nope! But you've got my hopes up. I'm looking it up right now.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2011 at 23:11
For me prog is that kind of music that I take few seconds to say "I like it". So Phideaux are prog and Coldplay are not.
I don't have a definition it's all at sensation's level.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2011 at 23:20
What, then, would be the next "progressive" movement in music? I can't think of any more twists that modern music could possibly take. It seems like everything has been done.

I think the next progressive step would have to be an extreme regression, kind of a refreshed vision of past music. Maybe a resurgence in baroque or renaissance style music?
madmike View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2011 at 23:25
All I can say is if you think Phideaux is a simple rehashing of 70s symphonic prog then you probably can't be helped.

I agree with the general premise, but there's a difference between being a revivalist and an emulator.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2011 at 23:35
I always go back to John Wetton's thoughts on the topic:

AL: It's hard to have a prog context at hand, when you write a song on your own, anyway...

JW: Yes, exactly so. Prog stuff tends to happen in the rehearsal room. You get a drummer and a keyboard player involved, and they start extemporising on themes. I mean, I think that prog probably came about somewhere where American jazz and blues hit European classical music. I think that's how prog was born. The father was European classical music, and the mother was American blues, and the offspring was something we call progressive music. I don't think as a generic term it works anymore. Because it's not progressive, in fact it's more regressive.

AL: It promised too much, I think...

JW: It promised too much, yeah. And also, now it's back to everyone... Everyone who wants to be progressive, in inverted comas, want to use mellotrons, Marshall amps and Rickenbacker basses, you know, it's all back to 1973, which is hardly progressive. So it's very much regressive. But it seems that progressive has become a generic term for a style of music which involves time changes, classical moods...

AL: Sophisticated rock, in a way...

JW: Yeah. I don't mind, I like sophisticated rock, you know, I like the fact that people can play their instruments. But to me, I think that music must change, it always has to change. We can't stand and try to turn the tide back, it must change. And you have to go with that, otherwise you're drowned. 

...I'd like to see some newer technologies like Auto-Tune being used in a prog music format!  Could be pretty radical! I don't think I've heard any of that yet.  
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2011 at 23:36
The problem isn't the music, it's the label. Also, you guys are thinking progressive in the most literal sense which is ok. This is why I don't like the term progressive rock.  I like bands that have a certain sound that don't necessarily bring anything new to the table but I agree it's not progressive in the truest sense of the word.

What I don't understand then is the term proto prog. People often say that King Crimson's first album was the first true progressive rock album. Clearly there were progressive rock albums before it such as DOFP which was very progressive for it's time. It all gets a bit confusing. Prog rock vs progressive rock vs prog. Some people even use the big P prog and the little p prog.
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2011 at 00:07

You have to distinguish the meaning of the word 'progressive' from the name 'Progressive'.
As a name it describes a type of music, which has hardly anything to do with the word itself (any more), and which, if taken synonymously with 'innovative', evidently doesn't apply here.
If you consciously differentiate here, you won't run into your problem.

It's a bit like 'New Wave' not being all that new any more.

Edited by npjnpj - April 21 2011 at 00:11
WalterDigsTunes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2011 at 00:17
There's nothing worse than a johnny-come-lately living off ideas/structures/tones from decades past. Unfortunately, this is the accursed mark of the modern age. The only reasonable thing we can do is to not grant these thieves  attention or money; starve them out and continue to the real innovators from the now-gone Golden Age!
Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2011 at 00:32
I think "modern", original prog is found most often in bands with indie influence.  A lot of the crossover prog like Radiohead, Pineapple Thief, or heavier progressive rock like Porcupine Tree seem to stay away from the cliches, but on the other hand, a lot of symphonic prog has more direct influence from Yes, Genesis, etc.  Not that it's always bad to follow the footsteps of the classic bands, Transatlantic for example, but it still is a problem when some bands offer nothing new.  From  a different point of view, sometimes I'll take a break from symphonic prog or prog in general and listen to other genres then return to it and find it less redundant.  I'd say though that the modern prog that has progressed as a whole is a tighter, less sprawling one. 
ProgressiveAttic View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2011 at 00:36
I have somewhat of a classification for these "emulating" artists:

*Some groups start where the classic prog groups left off during the late 70s and then progress from there (sort of a "what if?" situation)...examples? Anglagard, Echolyn, Wobbler, Beardfish

*Others just try to sound like their favorite bands but making something completely new (sort of "what if Gabriel never left Genesis") and I still consider them to be slightly progressive because they try to take off where these bands they are trying to emulate ended their careers (and they don't try to repeat "Selling England by the Pound")... examples: Glass Hammer, The Flower Kings.

*There are some that trying to be different just take pieces of inspiration from 70s groups and glue them together. Examples: Phideaux, Manning.

*Others just take the sound of the classics and blends it with other genres, mainly pop and world music. This makes them more original, some more than others but still original. Examples: Mars Hollow, Lunatic Soul, MoeTar.

*At the end we have others that are what I would call "regressive": they want to re-do "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" or "Close to the Edge"... or worse, they want to simplify them. This ends with mixed results but most of the time we have bands that can't measure up to the standard of the groups they want to emulate or the music is too dull (at least for me). Examples: I would say most Neo-Prog (especially Marillion).

There are works from every one of these points that I enjoy and others that I don't... but, for me, the music that comes from the last classification is the most likely to be dull (I do like Marillion's Script for a Jester's Tear and some of Quidam's output, for example)....

Edited by ProgressiveAttic - April 21 2011 at 00:40
Michael's Sonic Kaleidoscope Mondays 5:00pm EST(re-runs Thursdays 3:00pm) @ Delicious Agony Progressive Rock Radio(http://www.deliciousagony.com)

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2011 at 01:00
Who gives a stuff what label you put on it as long as you enjoy it.
I've no idea what is 'progressive' anyway. It was originally used to describe a general feeling that many bands were breaking away from the shackles of the normal conventions in rock music.They introduced new ideas into the mainstream and did in affect create a new style of music. That style still exists and for convenience be called prog.Conferring progressiveness on any band is tricky though. According to Ian Anderson Aqualung is progressive while Thick As A Brick is ''prog''. He makes a clear distinction between these two things. One is about advancing and exploring new ideas. One is the stylised finished product. For many bands 'progressive rock' ended about 1971 and gave way to a stylistic approach that was recognisable. If you can recognise and label it too easily then its probably not progressive!
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2011 at 01:40
For most of us progressive rock is perceived as being a mind-set, for the rest of the world it's a genre in which bands mentioned fit perfectly. This is no debate, this is a linguistical problem.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2011 at 07:07
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Gotta say, I kind of expected this would be a newbie who had the Final Ultimate Totally For Serious Now Definition of Prog all figured out.

I'm ever more perplexed now.

We've flogged this horse so much all zebras now walk with a limp.

LOL

IMO It's prog and progressive alright, but low in the creative aspect.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 23>