Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedEmulating Classic Prog Is Not Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 23>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2011 at 23:36
Understand that there's a difference between originality and creativity.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 00:03
Originally posted by Nathaniel607 Nathaniel607 wrote:

Originally posted by Polo Polo wrote:

But there are different chord progressions, instruments, microtonal scales and a lot more stuff out there. Bands don't need to stick to Western music principles when trying to innovate.

Okay, microtonal scales. Yeah, they exist, but I've never heard them used well. Some eastern stuff with quarter note changes can sound good, but generally, stuff using the 24-note scale just sounds dumb to me. There's an example (for me, at least) of innovation does not equal good. You could take this to the nth degree and use a 252-note scale but it would just sound like a bunch of pretentious w**k.  

I am not sure I understand this, it seems to read as if music outside the Western system is invalid. Have you actually heard music outside the Western music system, with an open minded perspective?  Are you aware that Indian music, for instance, is melodically and rhythmically more intricate than Western music? And are you aware that some artists have been able to blend both schools seamlessly?  So if I understand you correctly and you are dismissive of music outside the Western system, it seems perfectly plausible to me that your threshold of tolerance for more of the same would be high because your willingness to embrace something different is apparently not very high. 

Yeah, I wasn't saying this. Naked City is incredibly innovative and I've never heard anyone fusing these two genres before that. All I was pointing out is that you were saying "x combined with y combined with z won't sound innovative to me" yet a lot of good musical innovations came from combing things. And usually it's quite subtle. Even Naked City doesn't sound too different from plain old hardcore punk (just with a screeching saxophone as well). And of course new compositions but too a point, it's using the aesthetic of hardcore punk. (doesn't really apply as much to the covers...)

That's a reductive approach.  All combinations of X and Y aren't the same or equally innovative, if at all innovative.  A less out there 'sounding' example of Naked City-like innovation is Shakti.  Their blend of Western and Indian music was unprecedented then and not easily paralleled to date.  But, obviously, something that simply combines very obvious influences from Genesis and Yes is not innovation of a comparable degree at all, if at all it can be considered innovative.   

Edited by rogerthat - April 22 2011 at 00:05
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 00:11
Originally posted by yanch yanch wrote:

THIS!   Well said.

Additionally, I'd ask the question-don't we listen to music that makes us happy, or that in some way moves us and makes us want to listen to more of it? That doesn't mean it has to sound exactly like something else, but that it will have characteristics that the listener truly enjoys. For example: I love Gabriel era Genesis. Does that mean I shouldn't like or deride an album like Big Big Trains The Underfall Yard because it sounds a lot like classic era Genesis? NO! It is influenced by that era, but it isn't the same. There are examples like this in all genres and sub-genres. The only thing that should be important is whether or not the listener  enjoys and wants to hear more music that is similar. To paraphrase Rick Pitino (I know-a sports reference!!!!! Shocked ) "The classic prog era isn't walking through that door!" It's passed and we need to find what we enjoy and listen to it.

The question is less over what gives enjoyment to a listener and more over what is progressive.  The OP's ire is directed at holding up that which is extremely derivative of classic prog as progressive music and throwing a fit over controversial additions like Bjork and questioning whether they are prog.  I agree with the OP to the extent that it seems contradictory to question change and modern influences and insist on referencing old prog at any cost, which is effectively what such a stance tantamounts to.   One must also bear in mind here the many threads made over the prog listener's obvious superiority to those who listen to 'plebeian' music and the former's open mindedness towards  receiving adventurous music. So much for adventure! 

Edited by rogerthat - April 22 2011 at 00:30
ProgressiveAttic View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 01:41
Emulating could be progressive... many (if not all) of the classic prog bands started as cover bands or emulating other groups (such as Yes playing Beatles covers).

It is practically impossible to start without emulating someone... trying to emulate Yes, for example, seems to be as good a starting point as any... now what's important is to see what the group does with that, if they progress or not (for example, I do consider Glass Hammer to be progressive with their new album "If" because, even-though they are not really groundbreaking, they took the Yes sound and made something completely new with it).

Edited by ProgressiveAttic - April 22 2011 at 01:41
Michael's Sonic Kaleidoscope Mondays 5:00pm EST(re-runs Thursdays 3:00pm) @ Delicious Agony Progressive Rock Radio(http://www.deliciousagony.com)

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 01:46
Originally posted by ProgressiveAttic ProgressiveAttic wrote:

Emulating could be progressive... many (if not all) of the classic prog bands started as cover bands or emulating other groups (such as Yes playing Beatles covers).

Well, everything that the classic prog bands touched is not progressive either, especially some of their work from the 80s.  So, I would have to disagree with that. I would not consider Yes as progressive if they had stuck to tributing Paul Simon.  Similarly, Simon Dupree had to become Gentle Giant to be progressive.  This argument can be extended further that if Metallica had remained a Diamond Head and other NWOBHM tribute band, they would not be considered such an iconic metal band.  You are sort of saying that in your next para anyway, so I would stress that THAT part of it is more important. From a humble start, the band must progress to evolve their own vision of music.  It need not be radical and groundbreaking to be considered progressive, but it must have originality not only of sound but also of composition. As long as the singer doesn't try too hard to copy other singers, a band would have an at least remotely original SOUND but that's not enough. 
ProgressiveAttic View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 02:23
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Well, everything that the classic prog bands touched is not progressive either, especially some of their work from the 80s.  So, I would have to disagree with that. I would not consider Yes as progressive if they had stuck to tributing Paul Simon.  Similarly, Simon Dupree had to become Gentle Giant to be progressive.  This argument can be extended further that if Metallica had remained a Diamond Head and other NWOBHM tribute band, they would not be considered such an iconic metal band.  You are sort of saying that in your next para anyway, so I would stress that THAT part of it is more important. From a humble start, the band must progress to evolve their own vision of music.  It need not be radical and groundbreaking to be considered progressive, but it must have originality not only of sound but also of composition. As long as the singer doesn't try too hard to copy other singers, a band would have an at least remotely original SOUND but that's not enough. 

All I am saying is that everyone must start somewhere and in most cases is by emulating someone... Yes became the "prog Yes", for example, when they started to modify the Beatles tunes they covered, and starting from there they became the innovative prog rock act...

Most prog acts became so by emulating others and eventually trying to push the boundaries of what these artists did before them... and the same could happen with bands emulating the classic prog acts, imagine a band that tries to push the boundaries of what Yes, Genesis or King Crimson did...
Michael's Sonic Kaleidoscope Mondays 5:00pm EST(re-runs Thursdays 3:00pm) @ Delicious Agony Progressive Rock Radio(http://www.deliciousagony.com)

Harry Hood View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 02:26
A lot of artists are just writing what comes most naturally to them. Sometimes what comes naturally to them has some aesthetic similarities with other artists. This isn't always intentional or even desirable, it's just what happens.

What isn't progressive is denying an artist the progressive label based on aesthetic similarities alone.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 02:33

Most prog acts became so by emulating others and eventually trying to push the boundaries of what these artists did before them... and the same could happen with bands emulating the classic prog acts, imagine a band that tries to push the boundaries of what Yes, Genesis or King Crimson did...

That would be a valid argument for a new band with one or two albums, not after they are several albums old. I have heard The Light, Snow and Kindness of Strangers, representing different stages of their career and I must say that as far as boundary pushing goes, it's pretty modest.  Though Spocks Beard are not who I'd call completely derivative.  
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 02:35
Originally posted by Harry Hood Harry Hood wrote:

A lot of artists are just writing what comes most naturally to them. Sometimes what comes naturally to them has some aesthetic similarities with other artists. This isn't always intentional or even desirable, it's just what happens.

What isn't progressive is denying an artist the progressive label based on aesthetic similarities alone.

I don't think anybody is suggesting some aesthetic similarities would alone make a band not progressive.  It is very difficult to make music that does not bear some resemblance at least to something made before, even if the resemblance is not striking.  But there are bands whose identity derives entirely from those who came before.  Presto Ballet is one example I can immediately think of.  I do feel it is unfair to malign artists like Bjork for doing what we assumed prog artists were supposed to while a PB is accommodated purely for having the prog 'sound'.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 02:41

I don't get it. This just seems stupid to me. You guys must be hearing something I'm not. 

Everyone on this website seems to think everyone's copying off of someone. Just because it has similar texture or instruments or whatever. Yeah, it may use similar instrumentation, or structures, but it doesn't matter. Because the composition is different. Just cause they have a similar style, doesn't mean they are THE SAME. The same can be said about any genre - jazz, for example, has a pretty set-in-stone set of instruments that can be used, but there's still a lot of groups that manage to sound different from each other. 

I just don't get this argument... it just seems that people are trying to invent more ways to praise "The Golden Age Masters" even more than they already are.   

People seem to need everything to sound completely innovative, but forget that there can be more subtle innovations. Interesting chord structures, riffs, texture etcetera. Of course, it's nice to here something that sounds completely new, and that can be found as well.

I agree especially with the bit I've highlighted. We just seem to bow down to Yes and Genesis with the idea that these bands achieved perfection and could not be improved upon. I don't follow that reasoning either. I've always enjoyed IQ more than Genesis because their music engages me on an emotional level even though its not innovative or even on as high a level from a technical viewpoint. There is just no accounting for tasteBig smile
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 03:04
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I don't get it. This just seems stupid to me. You guys must be hearing something I'm not. 

Everyone on this website seems to think everyone's copying off of someone. Just because it has similar texture or instruments or whatever. Yeah, it may use similar instrumentation, or structures, but it doesn't matter. Because the composition is different. Just cause they have a similar style, doesn't mean they are THE SAME. The same can be said about any genre - jazz, for example, has a pretty set-in-stone set of instruments that can be used, but there's still a lot of groups that manage to sound different from each other. 

I just don't get this argument... it just seems that people are trying to invent more ways to praise "The Golden Age Masters" even more than they already are.   

People seem to need everything to sound completely innovative, but forget that there can be more subtle innovations. Interesting chord structures, riffs, texture etcetera. Of course, it's nice to here something that sounds completely new, and that can be found as well.

I agree especially with the bit I've highlighted. We just seem to bow down to Yes and Genesis with the idea that these bands achieved perfection and could not be improved upon. I don't follow that reasoning either. I've always enjoyed IQ more than Genesis because their music engages me on an emotional level even though its not innovative or even on as high a level from a technical viewpoint. There is just no accounting for tasteBig smile

I cannot really comment on IQ since I have heard only two albums of theirs, neither of which I thought as of comparable to Genesis.  But I don't see how that highlighted portion follows just because people criticize retro or neo prog.  I like OK Computer more than Dark Side. I like Flight of the Cosmic Hippo more than any Return to Forever album. Perhaps, some of us are a little more willing to embrace sounds and styles that don't reference back so obviously to classic prog?
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 04:11
To quote Steve Feigenbaum of Cuneiform Records:

"For me, Phideaux is releasing some of the currently best albums in the symphonic progressive vein."

I guess some of the participants in this debate will find him clueless about music when issuing such a statement, eh?

Tastes does differ and artists like The Watch and Phideaux aren't to everybody's taste for sure. But if you think so and want to flog a horse about it flog that horse, not the cat.
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 04:51
Well there is the example of say Coheed And Cambria and Rush. C&C frontman Claudio Sanchez was hugely disturbed and frustrated when interviewers/critics repeatedly stressed the huge influence of Rush on C&C, how Sanchez was clearly a huge Rush fan and even going so far as to call C&C a Rush soundalike or copy.

The thing was, Sanchez had never listened to Rush. He'd coincidentally arrived at a similar sound all on his own.

But let's get real, this is the exception, not the rule. I really don't think that's going on with most of the "let's pretend it's 1973" style prog here. These guys are consciously imitating something they'd wish they'd been a part of.
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 05:16
The Beatles were imitators. God knows Elvis was. The number of artists that has not been imitating something and have been true innovators can probably be counted on two hands. That's the reality of that particular case, if you want to get real.

Many artists have added their own small touches and nuances, which in return have been picked up by others, with a miniscule development gradually ongoing until someone manage to get a commercial break and will be hailed as innovators when incorporating many such features, their less known influences gradually discovered in retrospect at best.

Same goes for your much heralded examples of Kayo Dot and Opeth. With the difference that their main sources of inspiration are less well known than the ones of The Watch etc. and of a more recent date.
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 05:24
This "argument" began 30 years ago and still people regurgitate it like it means something. Progressive (n) and progressive (adj) can co-exist side by side without the Universe imploding in cosmic cataclysm. They are neither mutually inclusive nor mutually exclusive so an artist can be retrogressive and innovative in the same breath even if you don't like the resultant vector, it can and does exists and it always has, even back in the late 60s / early 70s with bands building on what went before... Proto-Prog bands were retrogressive and innovative, early Prog bands were retrogressive and innovative. (Innovative means 'renewal or improvement' Geek).

Neo Prog didn't exist in the late 70s / early 80s when the stalwarts of that "subgenre" began making music, it's a later invented "tag" - those bands were not emulating "the golden age" or being "retrogressive" (how could they? they were contemporaneous), they were continuing a "progression" that many of the more established bands had begun themselves in the mid 70s (Floyd in '73, Tull in '76, ELP in '76, Genesis in '76, Yes in '76, Gentle Giant in '77) - the only "crime" of the later bands was the relative ages of the band members who were too young to have recorded in the early 70s. And so it is with modern bands, regardless of whether they are Progressive (n) or progressive (adj).

What?
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 05:24
Originally posted by Windhawk Windhawk wrote:

The Beatles were imitators. God knows Elvis was. The number of artists that has not been imitating something and have been true innovators can probably be counted on two hands. That's the reality of that particular case, if you want to get real.

Many artists have added their own small touches and nuances, which in return have been picked up by others, with a miniscule development gradually ongoing until someone manage to get a commercial break and will be hailed as innovators when incorporating many such features, their less known influences gradually discovered in retrospect at best.  

I am sorry but this is highly reductive.  There is simply no comparison between a Beatles and a Flower Kings and you know it.  That everybody incorporates influences from music of the past does not mean in all cases there is no innovation or innovation is of the same degree, so we must draw these lines of distinction.  And how many songs has Elvis written?

Originally posted by Windhawk Windhawk wrote:

Same goes for your much heralded examples of Kayo Dot and Opeth. With the difference that their main sources of inspiration are less well known than the ones of The Watch etc. and of a more recent date.

Agree partially about KD and certainly about Opeth.  A lot of Opeth fans are either not into metal per se or generally hate extreme metal so they are not aware of how deeply influenced by extreme metal Opeth was and in particularly the melodic death doom scene of the early 90s.  Having said that, I still hear more originality in Opeth than a Presto Ballet, which is out and out homage.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 05:39
The best prog today is the prog which follows the original prog formula but the compositions and sound is all original. In other words, sounding like a unique 70s band. If you can compose great ideas then you are half way there. It's all about producing rock with compositions and musicanship with a jazz/classical method and using the right instruments. That's what they did in the 70s and if you can do it now you are still original as long as you can compose quality stuff and have taste in the right instruments. Bands can use all those instruments, but if you can't compose great stuff it will never sound that great. If you resort to composing songs which are based on other bands then you obviously aren't a great composer either because you have to copy others. i'll never bother with Opeth, Tool, Porcupine tree etc. A complete lack of jazz and classical ideas in their composition, a complete lack of hammond organ, rhodes piano etc, a complete lack of wind instrument and a over reliance on guitar. Not very interesting music most of the time

Edited by dr prog - April 22 2011 at 05:50
JS19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 05:47
*Yawn*
Nathaniel607 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 06:22

I am not sure I understand this, it seems to read as if music outside the Western system is invalid. Have you actually heard music outside the Western music system, with an open minded perspective?  Are you aware that Indian music, for instance, is melodically and rhythmically more intricate than Western music? And are you aware that some artists have been able to blend both schools seamlessly?  So if I understand you correctly and you are dismissive of music outside the Western system, it seems perfectly plausible to me that your threshold of tolerance for more of the same would be high because your willingness to embrace something different is apparently not very high.

No, I'm not rejecting non-Western music. Though it is true that I am not massively familiar with the field, I was more criticizing what I've heard of contemporary uses of the 22-note scale. Harry Patch style things. What I've heard of that sounds horrid to me...

But things like Indian music don't really use the 22-note scale in the same way. Usually, they just use it to construct more convention 12 note scales, but with a couple of notes moved up or down a quarter tone. 

I would like to hear some great non-Western music if you have any in particular to recommend! 

That's a reductive approach.  All combinations of X and Y aren't the same or equally innovative, if at all innovative.  A less out there 'sounding' example of Naked City-like innovation is Shakti.  Their blend of Western and Indian music was unprecedented then and not easily paralleled to date.  But, obviously, something that simply combines very obvious influences from Genesis and Yes is not innovation of a comparable degree at all, if at all it can be considered innovative. 

I suppose. But combinations in that vein can sometimes make something that sounds new - not massively innovative, but still good. 

Also, yeah, I've heard Shakti and bands like that. Good stuff. 

Originally posted by Anthony H. Anthony H. wrote:

Understand that there's a difference between originality and creativity.

Is there? What?

Edited by Nathaniel607 - April 22 2011 at 06:25
Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 06:38
You know the albums/bands around here where people say in the reviews "This doesn't really sound like much else I've ever heard"?

(One example is Cardiacs and their monstrous Sing To God double album, where that remark or something like it becomes something of a catchphrase.)

When that happens, you're listening to progressive music.

If rattling off a list of established prog acts adequately conveys your impression of a band, you're listening to karaoke.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 23>