Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedClose to the Edge vs Supper's Ready

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Poll Question: Which song do you like better?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
125 [50.00%]
125 [50.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2017 at 06:27
Supper's Ready!
Welcome to the middle of the film.
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2017 at 09:38
Definitely Supper's Ready for me!  Don't get the love for CTTE.  It's what-I-call messy...
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2017 at 10:14
I refuse to vote(at least for now). While I might give the slight edge to SR I'm bigger into Yes so I'm experiencing a bit of cognitive dissonance over this one. 
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2017 at 15:53
Supper's Ready by a fair distance - but just because it is on another level. However, Close to the Edge and Thick as a Brick tend to be next in line in any personal polls I come up with from time to time - so I don't feel too bad voting that way.

Edited by Squonk19 - October 26 2017 at 15:54
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Booba Kastorsky View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2017 at 20:45
Close to the Edge, of course. 
Probably because I'm not a native English speakers, so it's hard for me to fully appreciate lyrics of Supper's Ready.
CTTE lyrics is more understandable to me, and shorter. 
Besides, musically IMHO CTTE is more consistent, while SR is clearly was glued form more than a few different pieces. 
And finally, even though I like Gabriel's vocal, I like Jon's vocal more.

M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2017 at 04:58
Originally posted by Booba Kastorsky Booba Kastorsky wrote:

Probably because I'm not a native English speakers, so it's hard for me to fully appreciate lyrics of Supper's Ready.
CTTE lyrics is more understandable to me, and shorter. 
Besides, musically IMHO CTTE is more consistent, while SR is clearly was glued form more than a few different pieces. 
And finally, even though I like Gabriel's vocal, I like Jon's vocal more.

Andersons lyrics more understandable ?

Close to the Edge
A seasoned witch could call you from the depths of your disgrace
And rearrange your liver to the solid mental grace
And achieve it all with music that came quickly from afar
Then taste the fruit of man recorded losing all against the hour
And assessing points to nowhere, leading every single one
A dewdrop can exalt us like the music of the sun
And take away the plain in which we move
And choose the course you're running

Supper Ready
Walking across the sitting-room, I turn the television off
Sitting beside you, I look into your eyes
As the sound of motorcars fades in the night time
I swear I saw your face change, it didn't seem quite right
And it's hello babe, with your guardian eyes so blue 
Hey my baby, don't you know our love is true

I rest my case
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2017 at 21:43
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Originally posted by Booba Kastorsky Booba Kastorsky wrote:

Probably because I'm not a native English speakers, so it's hard for me to fully appreciate lyrics of <span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">Supper's Ready.</span>
<span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">CTTE lyrics is more understandable to me, and shorter. </span>
Besides<span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">, musically IMHO CTTE is more consistent, while SR is clearly was glued form more than a few different pieces. </span>
<span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">And finally, even though I like Gabriel's vocal, I like Jon's vocal more.</span>
<span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">
</span>

Andersons lyrics more understandable ?

Close to the Edge
<span style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small;">A seasoned witch could call you from the depths of your disgrace</span><br style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small;"><span style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small;">And rearrange your liver to the solid mental grace</span><br style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small;"><span style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small;">And achieve it all with music that came quickly from afar</span><br style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small;"><span style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small;">Then taste the fruit of man recorded losing all against the hour</span><br style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small;"><span style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small;">And assessing points to nowhere, leading every single one</span><br style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small;"><span style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small;">A dewdrop can exalt us like the music of the sun</span><br style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small;"><span style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small;">And take away the plain in which we move</span><br style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small;"><span style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small;">And choose the course you're running</span>
<span style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small;">
</span>
<span style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small;">Supper Ready</span>
<span style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small;">Walking across the sitting-room, I turn the television off</span><br style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small;"><span style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small;">Sitting beside you, I look into your eyes</span><br style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small;"><span style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small;">As the sound of motorcars fades in the night time</span><br style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small;"><span style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small;">I swear I saw your face change, it didn't seem quite right</span><br style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small;"><span style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small;">And it's hello babe, with your guardian eyes so blue </span><br style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small;"><span style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small;">Hey my baby, don't you know our love is true</span>
<span style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small;">
</span>
<span style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small;">I rest my case</span>

Exactly what I had thought when I read the post before... but I didn't know how to express myself and didn't pursue a reply.
ElliotYork View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2018 at 07:14
I really wish I could vote on this, just so I could break the tie in favour of Close to the Edge.

That being said, I think it's pretty awesome (and a testament to the legacy of both songs) that 234 people could vote on this and it still ends up being a dead tie.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2018 at 07:20
Hi Elliot welcome aboard the pork vessel.

You can vote in polls when you reach 40 points on your account ie when you've made 40 posts.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2018 at 07:23
Close to The Edge, and I shall return and elaborate on exactly why.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2018 at 07:41
I won't vote. Supper's Ready has lots of twists and turns, mainly because it is a pastiche of different songs put together. Of course it has recurring themes, but Close to the Edge is much more structurally cohesive. It feels like a proper song and not a collage. For me, it's a tie, I love both for different reasons.
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2018 at 07:44
Supper`s absolutely! Never been that much Close to the Edge, although I have warn up it when become older.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2018 at 08:16
I am partial to Genesis here but mostly just because I dig em more than Yes. On the surface of things these two tracks actually look somewhat similar in that they both consist of several songs plus bits and pieces thrown together to make a grander whole.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2018 at 08:22
Originally posted by essexboyinwales essexboyinwales wrote:

Definitely Supper's Ready for me!  Don't get the love for CTTE.  It's what-I-call messy...
For me it's the other way around.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2018 at 08:25
Truth be told I find them both quite messy....but I guess that was what they were aiming for when glueing seemingly unrelated bits of music together. It's called an 'epic'

- Douglas Adams
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2018 at 09:18
I used to love Supper's Ready but now it feels kinda random to me, like a bunch of different tracks stitched together, whereas CTTE is more consistent. My vote went to Yes.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2018 at 10:59
Close to The Edge is archetypal progressive rock. The only thing that comes close (neck and neck almost) is In a Glass House (title track). I'd have a hard time picking a third piece, but if I had to, it would probably be Bitches Brew (title track as well).

Close to The Edge just does it for me. The free-form jazz guitar intro, almost island vibe of the first verse, Anderson's ambiguous, subjective lyrical style always has this song feeling like "it's talking about how you feel right NOW" every single time you listen.

Supper's Ready is classic, but it feels TOO structured, rigid, and "bolted" together. The same could be said for the massive sections of CttE, but I like the overall package of said track better.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2018 at 20:09
I have read many posts about how Supper's Ready is just several songs put together and that it isn't very cohesive... but I just don't see it... well, of course I see it's different sections, perhaps even songs, put together, but they flow perfectly well for me, just one wonderful section flowing into the next and into the next. Still, I think I prefer Close to the Edge, though.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2018 at 20:57
agree 100% about the flow---it flows perfectly and builds emotionally---very powerful---I may like CTTE a bit more---but not much more---it is however easier to listen to---moer assessable 
amity62 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2018 at 07:05
Supper's Ready.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>