Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedClose to the Edge vs Supper's Ready

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
Poll Question: Which song do you like better?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
125 [50.00%]
125 [50.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2018 at 23:27
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

I used to love Supper's Ready but now it feels kinda random to me, like a bunch of different tracks stitched together, whereas CTTE is more consistent. My vote went to Yes.
I donīt understand at all why Supperīs get that kind of opinions, when in prog there are many much unconsistent bands specially neoprog bands. If Supperīs is not consistent, then I quess Thick as a Brick and Atom Heart Mother are not too. Although Supperīs goes into many (I think great directions) it goes back to the starting theme as good progepos should. I donīt believe Genesis members have just put different songs together, to me Supperīs sound as it was worked as an entity right from the begin. There are not too much differences in those parts as there are in some other longer progpieces.

About the lyrics I have to say as non-English native Peterīs lyrics have always been much easier to understand than Andersonīs. I have loved Supperīs lyrics too. I donīt understand all, what Peter has put into Supper, but I think itīs a kind story of "mad professor" and his wife, everything start to their love, professor goes to mad trip with his mind endind really apocalyptic atmospheres, but return back to his wife safely. It can be interpret also childīs and mothers relation, many child leave in the morning from the safe of mother and return back in the evening after days adventures. At least it reminds my childhood days in my home village, although my mother isnīt always so glad, when I came home hours late.
tempest_77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2018 at 02:32
Close to the Edge. One of my all-time favourites.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2018 at 03:47
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

[QUOTE=Hrychu] If Supperīs is not consistent, then I quess Thick as a Brick and Atom Heart Mother are not too.

You're right, they're also not consistent! Wink

Opinions aside of course, I guess for myself Genesis really didn't seem to "click" in the epic department for me until Selling England by The Pound. Foxtrot is my next fave Genesis record. Very little on Nursery Cryme clicks with me despite trying to hard to get it.

Thick as a Brick will forever be a joke record for me, even though it's exemplary prog rock. Atom Heart Mother isn't in the same parking lot of the building that Close to The Edge is featured in IMHO! (prepares for tomatoes)

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2018 at 04:28
Well, then it really seems consistency is not the main thing to me in music I love, because I love those three and I donīt think music can go a lot better to those. Not ever like too much complexity (I mean if thatīs the main thing). And also, todayīs music is mostly consistent, isnīt it? And that makes it also boring to me.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2018 at 04:39
^Exactly. That's why I love this place. Sometime's the way people express their passion for a song makes me want to revisit it and listen more closely.

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2018 at 04:59
So peculiar how we hear things differently. Personally I prefer the Atom Heart Mother suite to anything else mentioned above...and I love both Supper and Edge.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2018 at 23:27

Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

I used to love Supper's Ready but now it feels kinda random to me, like a bunch of different tracks stitched together, whereas CTTE is more consistent. My vote went to Yes.
I donīt understand at all why Supperīs get that kind of opinions, when in prog there are many much unconsistent bands specially neoprog bands. If Supperīs is not consistent, then I quess Thick as a Brick and Atom Heart Mother are not too. Although Supperīs goes into many (I think great directions) it goes back to the starting theme as good progepos should. I donīt believe Genesis members have just put different songs together, to me Supperīs sound as it was worked as an entity right from the begin. There are not too much differences in those parts as there are in some other longer progpieces.

About the lyrics I have to say as non-English native Peterīs lyrics have always been much easier to understand than Andersonīs. I have loved Supperīs lyrics too. I donīt understand all, what Peter has put into Supper, but I think itīs a kind story of "mad professor" and his wife, everything start to their love, professor goes to mad trip with his mind endind really apocalyptic atmospheres, but return back to his wife safely. It can be interpret also childīs and mothers relation, many child leave in the morning from the safe of mother and return back in the evening after days adventures. At least it reminds my childhood days in my home village, although my mother isnīt always so glad, when I came home hours late.

As I had just written before, I do think Supper's Ready flows perfectly nice. I don't see any problem of consistency with that one. However, I do think Thick as a Brick suffers a bit from that department (and even more so if we consider the whole album as a single track)... I like much better the live version of Live, bursting out, leaving in just the very best parts with a much better flow. As for Atom Heart Mother, it might not be as consistent either, but I do love it's flow too (even the dissonant noisy part before the comeback of the main theme).
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2018 at 23:41
Well, to me all Thick as a Brick has flown always as great as those others. Itīs really great after those quite many different great parts it goes back to the same cheerful theme as the a-sides ends and in the end comes second part from the a-side and finally the starting acoustic theme. And itīs not just a flow, it includes so many great and sad melodies! Itīs really true excess of prog, but work for me 1000 times better than any ELP`s album (only Pictures is near). Naturally there are lots of great humour, but not really just a joke.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2018 at 12:47
I can't lie: these very well might be the two greatest prog epics of all time.

DeadSouls View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2018 at 12:16
Zappa is ready.
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2018 at 23:15
Going to vote for Close to the Edge to make this even closer. I love both though 
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2018 at 23:53
Didnīt really member I was already voted in this poll. I was just wondering few days before there had to be this poll and of course it was Dellinger who started it Smile.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2018 at 23:56
Close to the Edge
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2018 at 12:24

Didnīt really member I was already voted in this poll. I was just wondering few days before there had to be this poll and of course it was Dellinger who started it Smile.

This one has popped back from time to time, and I didn't remember anymore that it was me who started it
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2018 at 12:41
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

I can't lie: these very well might be the two greatest prog epics of all time.

Agreed, and I don't even like them very much. I recognise that music can be great without being great for me.

Edited by Logan - March 22 2018 at 12:43
Just a fanboy passin' through.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789