Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRoger Hodgson - In the Eye of the Storm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: what is your favourite song from this masterfull album
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
1 [16.67%]
1 [16.67%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [66.67%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2011 at 00:59
Originally posted by aginor aginor wrote:

Originally posted by Formentera Lady Formentera Lady wrote:

I like Roger's solo output more than the post Hodgson era of Supertramp. The reason is that Rick's Supertramp went into a jazzy-bluesy-funky direction, while on In the Eye of the Storm and Open the Door Roger stuck to the compositional techniques, influenced by classical music, that I always liked of the 'old' Supertramp.

And for the poll: Only because of you, but the others are great, too.
but what would you say is the core essence of Rogers music, everyone have it easy to explayn Ricks style (jazzy-bluesy-funky), but what genre is Rogers consist of ( i am tired of hearing "that typical old SP sound" i think Rogers sound is as neuanced and defining as Ricks, while Ricks songs are heavyer, harder and darker bluesy, jazzy and more direct, Roger is mysterious, calm and reflected, with folk, psych and more of the poppy jazz sound,

But it actually is "that typical old SP sound". That's why I wondered Roger is put in a different category than Supertramp...
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2011 at 07:35

Originally posted by aginor aginor wrote:

I like Roger's solo output more than the post Hodgson era of Supertramp. The reason is that Rick's Supertramp went into a jazzy-bluesy-funky direction, while on In the Eye of the Storm and Open the Door Roger stuck to the compositional techniques, influenced by classical music, that I always liked of the 'old' Supertramp.

And for the poll: Only because of you, but the others are great, too.
but what would you say is the core essence of Rogers music, everyone have it easy to explayn Ricks style (jazzy-bluesy-funky), but what genre is Rogers consist of ( i am tired of hearing "that typical old SP sound" i think Rogers sound is as neuanced and defining as Ricks, while Ricks songs are heavyer, harder and darker bluesy, jazzy and more direct, Roger is mysterious, calm and reflected, with folk, psych and more of the poppy jazz sound,

But it actually is "that typical old SP sound". That's why I wondered Roger is put in a different category than Supertramp...

outside one track on Rites Of Passage with Terry Riley, most of his solo songs are not prog per se.
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12