Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Official Phish Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2012 at 17:09
I just reached the P's in my alphabetical journey through my collection, so Phish is looming on the horizon.  Listening to all of the stuff that I have from them will probably be a month-long project all on its own.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2012 at 17:24
Yea, coming back around to the band seems like an endless marathon, as I now have over 5 and a half days worth of Phish, most of it live shows.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2012 at 18:57
I found 12/6 and 12/30/97 on CD in my collection, gonna bring them with me tomorrow to listen again. Also got some moe. out since Aginor reminded me I hadn't listened to them in a while either!
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2012 at 18:59
.moe is good, though they are my #3 jam band, behind Phish and Umphrey's McGee respectively. The Dead are #4.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2012 at 19:07
On a whim I bought a new Phish live CD, the full concert from 7/15/03.  I'm pretty sure this is the first show I've heard from the '00-'05 period, so I figured it would be a nice addition to the collection.  The set list looked interesting too, not your typical set list.  Has quite a few songs I've never heard before, as well as a few huge favorites of mine that I don't have many live recordings of.

Set 1: 
AC/DC Bag (a real early song they seem to like to play a lot, but I don't think it's all that special)

Ya Mar (another early song, a cover of some song they once heard played by some obscure beach bar band. Lovely)

Theme From the Bottom (one of the reasons I bought this. One of their finest songs, and not all that common on setlists. Dreamtastic psych ballad)

Saw it Again (don't know this one)

Poor Heart (the obligatory hoedown song... they have a few of these and I guess they're fun but it's not my thing)

Two Versions of Me (don't know this one)

Secret Smile (nor this one)

Mike's Song/I Am Hydrogen/Weekapaug Groove (ah yes, one of their greatest live vehicles, and another reason I bought this, since I was in the mood for a fresh Mike's.  When I saw them a lot in the 90s, they usually replaced "I Am Hydrogen" with any number of other songs, including a catchy jam that eventually became its own song, the lovable "Simple". But I rarely saw them play Hydrogen)

Set 2:
This is the set I listened to first.  Sometimes their 2nd sets are virtually just one song with a bunch of other songs interspersed with it.  Back in the old days, they would occasionally do that with "Tweezer".  On this particular day, they did it with:

Mr. Completely (a song I've never heard.  Cool rockin' song, but hardly worth a 35 minute jam (including a little spontaneous take on "Low Rider"); though the last 10 minutes of the jam really started to get interesting... and then the fun starts...)

Big Black Furry Creature From Mars ( the main reason I bought this.  a furious punk song that always seems to pop up unexpectedly, and rarely.  I love this song so much. I wish they'd put it on an album)

Buried Alive (in the middle of BBFCFM, they suddenly bring back this ultra-rarily that I don't remember ever hearing since the early 90s, just a quick little guitar melody over a chugging rhythm, and then back into...)

Big Black Furry Creature From Mars (another verse! More screaming! hooray!)

Ha Ha Ha ( I remember they debuted this song on their '95 tour. A brief riff-based instrumental, save for the "ha ha ha" vocals.  I guess they didn't like it that much, because they retired it soon after, but now they bring it back for 26 head scratching seconds.  And then back to the exciting conclusion of...)

Big Black Furry Creature from Mars (the exciting conclusion)

Mr Completely (remember him? He started all this madness.  Anyway, just a continuation of the boring one chord jam from before, but with a bit more oomph this time, as they only do it for 5 more minutes, and then into...)

Spread it 'Round (never heard this one, but it sounds so far like a country ballad. whatevah)

Walls of the Cave (haven't heard this yet, but it's 14 minutes long, which is either a good or a bad thing)

Golgi Apparatus (an old crowd pleaser.  I always sang the chorus as "I SAW YOU! / With a Chicken Sub in your hand!")

Slave to the Traffic Light (probably their oldest song, it's got atmosphere but I've never liked them closing sets with it, too mellow)

Encore:

Sleeping Monkey (snore... I don't know why they don't hang this song up.  It's the most boring song they ever wrote)

---

ok then, what do you think?

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2012 at 20:20
Wow, what a weird set, especially that second set. I'm not a big fan of their 2003 shows, but that one looks like it was a good one.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2012 at 08:15
I just looked up that mammoth song that took up most of the 2nd set, "Mr Completely".  Turns out this show is the only time Phish has played that song in concert.  It's actually a Trey Anastasio solo song that he regularly plays with the Trey Anastasio Band.

-Kehlog Albran
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2012 at 15:04
This party I'm going to tonight will probably be playing a lot of Phish and Umphrey's McGee, so I might fall back into Phish-mode. I have been listening to Umphrey's a bit lately too, so we'll see.

I wanted to see Phish in Atlantic City a couple weekends ago, but it was not to be. I know their show from this past Saturday was a killer show, I have to get it soon.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2012 at 11:04
Originally posted by Smurph Smurph wrote:

Here's a question for Phish fans. I have heard one album that sounded like jazz music meets hippie jam band meets prog. I think it was live. But they had multiple wind instruments in the group, and it sounded AMAZING and have NEVER heard anything compared to that album. But I have never been able to find that album again. And because of that amazing album, every single phish album has disappointed me since then.

What am I thinking of?

I think you're looking for Live Phish Vol. 19, recorded July 12, 1991.

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2012 at 11:09
I have their 7-29-03 show.  From their Live Phish set, I have volumes 1-5; 8-9; and 13-16.  I never bought 6 because it came with the binder and was more expensive then the others.  I kind of wish that i had now as I don't really see any of these around anymore.
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2012 at 11:11
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Here's a question for Phish fans. I have heard one album that sounded like jazz music meets hippie jam band meets prog. I think it was live. But they had multiple wind instruments in the group, and it sounded AMAZING and have NEVER heard anything compared to that album. But I have never been able to find that album again. And because of that amazing album, every single phish album has disappointed me since then.

What am I thinking of?

Wow. Awesome- Thank you for remembering that!
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2012 at 11:16
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I have their 7-29-03 show.  From their Live Phish set, I have volumes 1-5; 8-9; and 13-16.  I never bought 6 because it came with the binder and was more expensive then the others.  I kind of wish that i had now as I don't really see any of these around anymore.

Vol. 6 is great, it's a Wipeout-themed show. Also you need some fall '97 Phish (the cow funk era... aka "Phish Destroys America"). Live Phish vol. 11, from 11-17-97; also archived shows from livephish.net like 12-6-97, 12-7-97, 12-29-97, 12-30-97, 11-21-97. All of these shows are amazing, some sets have just 4 songs.

Also, check out The Island Tour.

You can still order the Live Phish series on Amazon or livephish.net

Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

What am I thinking of?

Wow. Awesome- Thank you for remembering that!

No problem Smile

Edited by darkshade - June 27 2012 at 11:18
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2012 at 14:00
Listening to some of their studio albums. Brings back fond memories of a simpler time.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2012 at 18:58
Home, home again, I like to be here when I can...
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2012 at 09:45
Listening to Farmhouse now.  I bought Live Volume 6 on-line the other day and now await delivery.

Amazon is having a massive Phish MP3 download deal.  All of their albums are on sale for $2.99 and their live albums are for $3.99 or $4.99.  I am thinking of dropping some cash on these deals.  Right now I am thinking about getting The White Tape, which they have for $2.99.  Seems to be just a curiosity factor deal.  Has anybody heard this?
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2012 at 09:52

Listening to Farmhouse now.  I bought Live Volume 6 on-line the other day and now await delivery.

Amazon is having a massive Phish MP3 download deal.  All of their albums are on sale for $2.99 and their live albums are for $3.99 or $4.99.  I am thinking of dropping some cash on these deals.  Right now I am thinking about getting The White Tape, which they have for $2.99.  Seems to be just a curiosity factor deal.  Has anybody heard this?
The White Tape is pretty fun - it plays more like a bunch of 4-track experiments by Trey and/or Mike, some of them pre-Phish, but there's some early full group songs too (e.g. Alumni Blues).  There's an early "Run Like an Antelope" on it, as well as a track  titled "You Enjoy Myself" but is actually just a 1 minute a capella rendition of the opening theme to that well-loved piece.  There's a cool hard rock solo piece by Mike called "F--k Your Face" which I like, too.

If you're a fan, go for it.  It's fun, and it gives a little bit of history.  I wouldn't recommend it to anyone just getting into Phish though.

-Kehlog Albran
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2012 at 10:01
Live Phish Vol. 6 is a great show. You won't be disappointed. I think that one's got the Wipeout-theme.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2012 at 10:13
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

The White Tape is pretty fun - it plays more like a bunch of 4-track experiments by Trey and/or Mike, some of them pre-Phish, but there's some early full group songs too (e.g. Alumni Blues).  There's an early "Run Like an Antelope" on it, as well as a track  titled "You Enjoy Myself" but is actually just a 1 minute a capella rendition of the opening theme to that well-loved piece.  There's a cool hard rock solo piece by Mike called "F--k Your Face" which I like, too.

If you're a fan, go for it.  It's fun, and it gives a little bit of history.  I wouldn't recommend it to anyone just getting into Phish though.
Really can't beat $2.99 for it.  I'd rather have a physical copy, but for that kind of deal I really can't resist.  I am kind of drooling over the Live Phish series albums selling for $4.99.  Really never ever going to find a better deal than that without illegally downloading them.  Again I would really like to have physical copies, but I guess this gives me incentive to wait until I find them for really cheap deals.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2012 at 10:26
Live Phish Vol 20 (12/29/1994) is one I'd recommend too.  Mainly because of the first song of the second set -- a 35 minute exploration of "David Bowie" that goes places I've never heard them go before or since.  It gets pretty scary.  I can almost see them looking at each other thinking, "are we really doing this?"

-Kehlog Albran
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2012 at 15:41
Crap.  I missed out on downloading the concerts for the cheap price.  I didn't realize that the Amazon sale was ending.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>