Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog in unexpected public places.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 58596061>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2023 at 20:47
I was at a graduation ceremony last week and one of the teens who happened to be the guitarist in the school band was actually wearing a Porcupine Tree t-shirt in front of all. Talked to him afterwards he just discovered them with their most recent.
And hearing "Money" by Floyd in the distance from my deck yesterday was cool. I live in a tourist town.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2023 at 00:02
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

^I believe part of the humor of that line was the relative obscurity of the artist picked by the character.

Ok, so did the character actually mention King Crimson or not?
Yes, he says he picks Adrian Belew, both for his solo work, and his work with King Crimson.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2023 at 05:05
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

I was at a graduation ceremony last week and one of the teens who happened to be the guitarist in the school band was actually wearing a Porcupine Tree t-shirt in front of all. Talked to him afterwards he just discovered them with their most recent.
And hearing "Money" by Floyd in the distance from my deck yesterday was cool. I live in a tourist town.

Not counting prog concerts but just out in public I have seen Crack The Sky, Dream Theater and I think one time a King's X t shirt but I've never seen a PT shirt in public not counting myself wearing one. I get the feeling no one would comment on it anyway and the one time I wore it was in a grocery store with a jacket hiding most of it.

A long time ago when I was in college I was at a function where I was helping serve food outside. Over the outdoor speaker I remember hearing the title track to A Farewell To Kings.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - June 19 2023 at 05:09
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2023 at 19:40
Earlier, I saw a commercial for men's fragence that used "Nights In White Satin."

FairportFairy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FairportFairy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2023 at 09:22
I was never able to catch what it was, but I recall being in a tiny corner grocery store in Istanbul that was blasting some really heavy and technically complex Turkish prog, or even math rock rather than prog. It was cute to listen to it while shopping with the old ladies. I wish I would have shazam'ed it or something.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2023 at 14:36
Today at the gym I saw a guy (a young guy probably not more than 22) wearing a Pink Floyd t shirt. Yesterday at Walmart I saw an older woman wearing Moody Blues t shirt. 
enigmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote enigmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2023 at 16:31
In my local hardware store on Hylan Blvd in Staten Island, the cashier wore Yes' t-shirt from 2014 US tour. Older woman, probably my age and I am over 60.I've never seen her there before, so I assume she was just covering for regular cashier who is much young and never worn a prog rock t-shirt. I had a very short but nice conversation with the lady about Yes, their music, and favorite concerts we've seen.

Btw - she gave me 10% discount, most likely she is related to the owner or co-owns the place herself.

Edited by enigmatic - July 27 2023 at 16:37
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2023 at 18:13
Originally posted by FairportFairy FairportFairy wrote:

I was never able to catch what it was, but I recall being in a tiny corner grocery store in Istanbul that was blasting some really heavy and technically complex Turkish prog, or even math rock rather than prog. It was cute to listen to it while shopping with the old ladies. I wish I would have shazam'ed it or something.

Welcome to PA!  Cool story! 

I love Istanbul and visited it in 1979 during a trip to Romania (long story!).  The only prog I heard on my trip was Yes' "Awaken" on a radio in a bus in Constanta Romania.  Nice to hear that one! 

Back to Istanbul....for some reason, this song played in my mind, over and over, as I walked along the Bosporus Straits.  I haven't gone back yet but will do so. 

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2023 at 17:29
I just happened to catch a little bit of the Goldbergs (a re-run) and there was a guy (a student) standing there wearing a Rush t shirt. 
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2023 at 14:50
My mom heard a cover of Shine On You Crazy Diamond in FOOD LION
Cause its only knock and know all, but I like it...

Writing (Or Suffering from Writers Block)

Working on a New Album|Bandcamp
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2023 at 08:00
I was watching PBS last night and a portion of Write Around the World With Richard E. Grant Episode 103 was with Chris Stewart (ex-Genesis drummer), discussing his unusual home and property near Orgiva in Spain.
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2023 at 08:28
I have heard prog a few times in the ever so mundane yet not so bad its horrible british tv-series, Heartbeat.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2023 at 21:00
There's a podcast that I subscribe to on my Apple podcast player called Comfort Blanket which is dedicated to "the films, TV, books and music that make you feel safe and warm" and in todays' episode it is focused on Rush's self-titled (they do talk more Rush than that).

"Actor Rufus Wright (Rogue One, Quantum of Solace, The Audience) talks about the comfort he gets from the often overlooked 1974 debut album by Canadian heavy prog rock trio Rush, and we share our thoughts on the appeal of heavy metal for teenage boys, the gawky magic of school bands, and the sweet horror of adolescent lyrics."

A very enjoyable episode, I think.

https://shows.acast.com/comfort-blanket/episodes/rush-with-rufus-wright

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/comfort-blanket/id1614879928
Just a fanboy passin' through.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2023 at 17:08
Not exactly the real intent of the thread, but this caught my eye today and made me laugh...a little.

Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2023 at 22:04
I am a fan of this let's-play channel called Game Grumps, and one of their members, Dan, is a prog fan. I have heard him reference Tarkus, Gentle Giant (multiple times, he even sang Aspirations live with KERRY MINNEAR), The Architect by Haken, and his favorite band is Rush. He talks about the latter a lot. I'm too lazy to find some of these clips, but here's one I JUST saw and HAD to post because it's more obscure than the aforementioned.

Play the video from 22:17 - 24:17, and you'll hear him talk about Gilgamesh! He even tries to hum some of it.
stegor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stegor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2023 at 13:38
Barely worth mentioning, but I thought of this thread when I saw it so I'll mention it.
My wife tricked me into watching a Netflix movie that could only possibly appeal to a 13 year old Jewish girl. It was called something like "You are So Not Invited to my Bat Mitzvah". A bunch of kids were gathered in a temple around a youth worship leader with an acoustic guitar and he said "I was in a band when I was a kid. We called ourselves Exodus. Genesis was already taken".
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2023 at 00:52
^My girlfriend watched that and mentioned that same bit. She thought it was a decent film.
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2023 at 01:31
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

I am a fan of this let's-play channel called Game Grumps, and one of their members, Dan, is a prog fan. I have heard him reference Tarkus, Gentle Giant (multiple times, he even sang Aspirations live with KERRY MINNEAR), The Architect by Haken, and his favorite band is Rush. He talks about the latter a lot. I'm too lazy to find some of these clips, but here's one I JUST saw and HAD to post because it's more obscure than the aforementioned.

Play the video from 22:17 - 24:17, and you'll hear him talk about Gilgamesh! He even tries to hum some of it.

I stopped watching Game Grumps after Jontron left.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2023 at 01:38
^Classic
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2023 at 12:37
Not sure if this counts, but I had the ability to use King Crimson's 21st Century Schizoid Man and a Plague of Lighthouse Keepers In a school project
Cause its only knock and know all, but I like it...

Writing (Or Suffering from Writers Block)

Working on a New Album|Bandcamp
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 58596061>