Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report errors & omissions here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ERRORS THREAD Report Errors and Omissions Here

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 489>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ERRORS THREAD Report Errors and Omissions Here
    Posted: March 26 2024 at 21:25
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

OK, thanks for the explanation. Well, i've looked into this quite a bit myself. Everywhere that says they're an English band is wrong. They were four Englishmen formed in Germany and then remained in Germany. They were ex-pats. The term English band refers to their sound, not their nation of formation and existence.

This is a minor thing i realize so i'm not going to push this any further. Just wanted to make sure this didn't go unnoticed.

If their own website with their own words isn't enough to convince you to change it then i guess nothing would.

A good compromise would simply be to consider them international.

Personally i've always considered them a German band because i count where a band was formed.

Lots of people migrate to other countries and start bands and in every other case i can think of the band is connected with nation of formation.

Maybe PA needs a more defined policy regarding this.

Whatever the case, do whatever you feel is the right thing. It's not a biggie for sure.

I think it's the genre team's case, not ours. When making noticeable changes in the bands' bios, we (E&O Team) always ask genre teams whether they agree. If PSIKE team decides that Nektar is a German band, all we have to do is to accept it. 

PA doesn't have "international" in the list possible countries, only "multi-national" which I think isn't correct in case of Nektar. 

If a group of Russian immigrants got together after moving to the USA and started a band would it be a Russian band or an American band?
Can't remember bands, but lots of so-called Russian chanson perfomers moved to the US in the 70s. Some of their American records were popular among Russian community in different countries and in the Soviet Union. In the USSR they were called "emigrants", I guess nobody bothered to think much are they American or Russian. Smile
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2024 at 22:06
- E&O Team: We are not ignoring anything. We just want to make sure everything is correct before making changes. That's our work. Wink

First of all, on PA we can assign a "country" to every band. But which country? This is not clear. Formation of the band? Origin of its members? Who knows?

In our biography, the first sentence goes like this: NEKTAR is probably the most German-like of the Seventies British bands.

And if you consider the last excerpt that I posted earlier, one longtime band member says, and I quote: "It was strange; we were an English band but we were living out in Germany.”

I know that this band was formed in Germany, but everywhere I look it says: UK, England, British... so I really wonder!

OK, thanks for the explanation. Well, i've looked into this quite a bit myself. Everywhere that says they're an English band is wrong. They were four Englishmen formed in Germany and then remained in Germany. They were ex-pats. The term English band refers to their sound, not their nation of formation and existence.

This is a minor thing i realize so i'm not going to push this any further. Just wanted to make sure this didn't go unnoticed.

If their own website with their own words isn't enough to convince you to change it then i guess nothing would.

Personally i've always considered them a German band because i count where a band was formed.

If a group of Russian immigrants got together after moving to the USA and started a band would it be a Russian band or an American band?

Lots of people migrate to other countries and start bands and in every other case i can think of the band is connected with nation of formation.

Maybe PA needs a more defined policy regarding this.

Seems like similar bands on this site are simply under international.

Whatever the case, do whatever you feel is the right thing. It's not a biggie for sure.

And thanks for the response :)

(function(){if (!document.body) return;var js = "window['__CF$cv$params']={r:'86a44701db3a9657',t:'MTcxMTQyNjA4NC4yNTkwMDA='};_cpo=document.createElement('script');_cpo.nonce='',_cpo.src='/cdn-cgi/challenge-platform/scripts/jsd/main.js',document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_cpo);";var _0xh = document.createElement('iframe');_0xh.height = 1;_0xh.width = 1;_0xh.style.position = 'absolute';_0xh.style.top = 0;_0xh.style.left = 0;_0xh.style.border = 'none';_0xh.style.visibility = 'hidden';document.body.appendChild(_0xh);function handler() {var _0xi = _0xh.contentDocument || _0xh.contentWindow.document;if (_0xi) {var _0xj = _0xi.createElement('script');_0xj.innerHTML = js;_0xi.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_0xj);}}if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {handler();} else if (window.addEventListener) {document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', handler);} else {var prev = document.onreadystatechange || function () {};document.onreadystatechange = function (e) {prev(e);if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {document.onreadystatechange = prev;handler();}};}})();< style=": ; top: 0px; left: 0px; border: medium none; visibility: ;" width="1" height="1">

Edited by siLLy puPPy - March 25 2024 at 22:09

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2024 at 21:55
^ Who on earth considers Nektar a German band? It will look ridiculous.
I'd suggest leave Nektar to the British crown and switch on to something more interesting and helpful.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2024 at 08:42

Just wondering why NEKTAR is listed as being from the UK when they formed in Germany in 1969?

I tried changing it but the admin section keeps timing out for me.

Sure the band members were British but the band was formed in Germany!

Can someone else change it?

- E&O Team: There was already some discussion about it here -

Wikipedia says: Nektar is an English progressive rock band formed in Hamburg, West Germany

I'm not sure what's the right thing to do.

NO they weren't an English band. They were all FROM England but most of them were already in Germany throughout the 60s. They clearly formed in Germany in 1969 and remained there at least until the 70s when they worked near Heidelberg. I'd say Germany is the correct nation to place them. At the very least they should be listed as international but they NEVER existed as a band in the UK.

This is the bio from THEIR OWN WEBSITE (an excerpt):

Formed in Germany in 1969 by British expats, Nektar soaked up the musical freedom they found in their new home, favoring extended compositions and concept albums over the constraints of pop. They were among the progenitors of the progressive rock movement of the 1970s as well as the jam-band scene that arose in the late 1990s. Their sound traveled well to the States, where they enjoyed Top 40 success with “A Tab in the Ocean” (1972) and “Remember the Future” (1973). Nearly 20 albums and a half-century later, the band’s artistic and personal charisma has earned them masses of devoted fans, who have flocked to festivals such as NearFest and ProgStock, and venues like the Wildey Theatre (where they perform multi-night sold-out shows) to indulge their passion for the Nektar experience.

- E&O Team: I don't want to fight, but I stumble across this recent article from the PROG magazine - here are some relevant excerpts:

• How the UK prog legends took on a surrogate German line-up and reclaimed their prog drown with new album The Other Side
  • Nektar made Germany their home and occupied a unique position as an English band in the thick of the emergent krautrock scene.
  • Although Nektar made quite a name for themselves in their adoptive country, from a UK perspective they were the odd band out.
  • Moore recalls. “It was strange; we were an English band but we were living out in Germany.”

So is this just going to be ignored even though it's well established on the band's own website that the band was formed in Germany and remained there because they all moved there and stayed? Couldn't be any clearer than what the band lays out in its own bio.

- E&O Team: We are not ignoring anything. We just want to make sure everything is correct before making changes. That's our work. Wink

First of all, on PA we can assign a "country" to every band. But which country? This is not clear. Formation of the band? Origin of its members? Who knows?

In our biography, the first sentence goes like this: NEKTAR is probably the most German-like of the Seventies British bands.

And if you consider the last excerpt that I posted earlier, one longtime band member says, and I quote: "It was strange; we were an English band but we were living out in Germany.”

I know that this band was formed in Germany, but everywhere I look it says: UK, England, British... so I really wonder!

Edited by projeKct - March 25 2024 at 14:38
mbzr48 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Discography Auditor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbzr48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2024 at 08:34
https://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=84554

Label: M.P. & Records
Format: Digital
March 19, 2024

- Francesco Carella / vocals, keyboards
- Giuseppe Quarta / drums

With:
- Richard Sinclair / bass, vocals
- Mezz Gacano / guitars, vocals

- E&O Team: Thanks Mayer, done. Added tracks times in the process.

Edited by projeKct - March 25 2024 at 14:48
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2024 at 22:47
Originally posted by Dark Ness Dark Ness wrote:

The original 16 tracks mixed by Steven Wilson and a fourth side (last 4 tracks) showing how a handful of recordings did get used on subsequent albums

Had a previous 2014 somewhat different release (and different coverart) with this particular note

Disc 2 (1988 1993 Ian Anderson 1st Mix With Flute Overdubs).
Presented In Identical Form As On Nightcap - The Unreleased Masters CD Chrysalis, 1993

More info here

I agree, first 16 tracks remixed by Steven Wilson.

But it's not obvious that the last 4 tracks "Presented In Identical Form As On Nightcap". 
Last 4 tracks are:
7. Chateau D'Isaster Tapes (Scenario/Audition/No Rehearsal) (11:10)
8. Only Solitaire (1974 Warchild Mix) (1:29)
9. The Story of the Hare Who Lost His Spectacles (Passion Play Mix with Overdubs) (4:11)
10. Skating Away On the Thin Ice of the New Day (Warchild Mix with overdubs) (Edit) (3:29)

Tracks 9 (The Story of the Hare...) and 10 (Skating Away...) were not included in "Nightcap".
I don't understand the request.Confused
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2024 at 22:24
^ Thanks, Mayer, done.
mbzr48 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Discography Auditor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbzr48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2024 at 16:45
https://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=84485

1. Intro (1:33)
2. Les Yeux (6:48)
3. Interlude 1 (2:36)
4. Loin Du Bruit (6:32)
5. Interlude 2 (1:59)
6. Aventure (8:08)
7. Interlude 3 (3:30)
8. Un Instant Ou Deux (6:27)
9. Interlude 4 (1:13)
10. Outro (2:32)

Total Time 41:18
Dark Ness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dark Ness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2024 at 06:13

The original 16 tracks mixed by Steven Wilson and a fourth side (last 4 tracks) showing how a handful of recordings did get used on subsequent albums

Had a previous 2014 somewhat different release (and different coverart) with this particular note

Disc 2 (1988 1993 Ian Anderson 1st Mix With Flute Overdubs).
Presented In Identical Form As On Nightcap - The Unreleased Masters CD Chrysalis, 1993

More info here

Edited by Dark Ness - March 22 2024 at 06:31
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2024 at 21:50

Just wondering why NEKTAR is listed as being from the UK when they formed in Germany in 1969?

Wikipedia says: Nektar is an English progressive rock band formed in Hamburg, West Germany

NO they weren't an English band. They were all FROM England but most of them were already in Germany throughout the 60s. They clearly formed in Germany in 1969 and remained there at least until the 70s when they worked near Heidelberg. I'd say Germany is the correct nation to place them. At the very least they should be listed as international but they NEVER existed as a band in the UK.

This is the bio from THEIR OWN WEBSITE (an excerpt):

Formed in Germany in 1969 by British expats, Nektar soaked up the musical freedom they found in their new home, favoring extended compositions and concept albums over the constraints of pop. They were among the progenitors of the progressive rock movement of the 1970s as well as the jam-band scene that arose in the late 1990s. Their sound traveled well to the States, where they enjoyed Top 40 success with “A Tab in the Ocean” (1972) and “Remember the Future” (1973). Nearly 20 albums and a half-century later, the band’s artistic and personal charisma has earned them masses of devoted fans, who have flocked to festivals such as NearFest and ProgStock, and venues like the Wildey Theatre (where they perform multi-night sold-out shows) to indulge their passion for the Nektar experience.

https://nektarsmusic.com/nektar-complete-biography/

- E&O Team: I don't want to fight, but I stumble across this recent article from the PROG magazine - here are some relevant excerpts:

• How the UK prog legends took on a surrogate German line-up and reclaimed their prog drown with new album The Other Side
  • Nektar made Germany their home and occupied a unique position as an English band in the thick of the emergent krautrock scene.
  • Although Nektar made quite a name for themselves in their adoptive country, from a UK perspective they were the odd band out.
  • Moore recalls. “It was strange; we were an English band but we were living out in Germany.”

Edited by projeKct - March 24 2024 at 06:20
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2024 at 17:01
^^ Thanks, Mayer, both done.
mbzr48 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Discography Auditor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbzr48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2024 at 09:10
https://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=83906

1. Static Mind (1:31)
2. Theta (5:04)
3. Time Bridge (Instrumental) (1:53)
4. Manifestations (Instrumental) (6:28)
5. Ternary (4:17)
6. Binary Dream (14:06)
7. Hybrid (6:07)
8. Corrosion (5:45)
9. De Erosion (Instrumental) (3:31)

Total Time 48:42
mbzr48 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Discography Auditor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbzr48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2024 at 09:00
https://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=83634

1. Direct Inject (5:52)
2. So Mote it Be (4:51)
3. Bodies in the Flotsam (2:55)
4. Kamichi & Sandy (4:59)
5. Sessuale II (6:29)
6. Improvise Adapt Overcome (3:28)
7. The Post-Atomic Horror (2:49)
8. Insurmountable Odds (5:54)
9. Sessuale I (3:33)

Total Time 40:50
Dark Ness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dark Ness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2024 at 04:35

More mess

1. Metature (4:58)
2. Comfortable Darkness (2:49)
3. Killing True Beliefs (6:27)
4. Fractional Emotion (6:05)
5. A Formula for Happiness (6:50)
6. Inner Circle (2:10)
7. You and Me Alone (5:12)
8. Hurt (4:39)
9. Destiny Inc. (15:37)
10. Mind Treasures (1:44)
11. With Others (6:19)

Total Time 62:50

- Vladimir Lalic / lead & backing vocals
- Florian Zepf / guitars, backing vocals, programming, percussion
- Conner Green / bass
- Aquiles Priester / drums
- Luis Conte / percussion (3,7)
- Kevin Moore / loops, samples & programming (1,2,6,7,10)

With:
- Derek Sherinian / keyboards
- Megan Burtt / lead vocals (7)
- Joe di Fiore / horns (8), clarinet & oboe (7)
- Isaac Alderson / Uilleann pipes & flutes (7)
- Kevin Buckley / fiddle (7)
- Eileen Gannon / harp (7)
- Leon van Egmond / harmonica (1)
- Maria Grigoryeva / violin & viola (1,4,9,11)
- Svetlova Elena Alexandrovna / cello (1,4,9,11)

Artwork Felix Schönberger

- E&O Team: Thanks, done.

Edited by NotAProghead - March 21 2024 at 16:58
Dark Ness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dark Ness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2024 at 04:14

Minor corrections

- Florian Zepf / electric, pedal-steel & acoustic guitars, banjo, mandolin,  lead (2) & backing vocals, programming, percussion, compositions, production
- Vladimir Lalic / lead & backing vocals
- Jamie Powell / bass
- Zsolt Kaltenecker / keyboards
- Gerald Peter / keyboards, piano
- Tim Korycki / drums

With:
- Megan Burtt / lead vocals (5)
- Simen Børven / bass (5)
- Adam Marko / drums (5)
- Damiano Della Torre / accordion (5)
- Luis Conte / percussions (3)
- Isaac Alderson / Uillean pipes & flutes (1)
- Aneesh Kashalikar/ duduk (4,7)
- Maria Grigoryeva / violin, viola & cello (7)

Artwork Felix Schönberger

E&O Team: Thanks, done.

Edited by NotAProghead - March 21 2024 at 16:52
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2024 at 20:50
Deciding whether to use the band members' nationality or the place where the band was formed to assign the country to a Progarchives entry in ambiguous cases such as this one has always been tricky.

For example: Yesterdays is assigned to Romania, cause even though the band consists entirely of Hungarians (and they've always used Hungarian lyrics in their music), it was de facto formed in Romania. But as time went on, a lot of the members moved back to Hungary, so that made it more confusing.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2024 at 19:35

Edited by projeKct - March 21 2024 at 04:49
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2024 at 19:07
^ Thanks, done.
The line-up taken from A Passion Play: An Extended Perfomance box.
tullspanfan View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullspanfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2024 at 10:09
https://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=84495

I think this entry should be revised, but I don't own that album. The line up is clearly wrong (it lists members from the 80s and 90s) and, as for the format, I'm not sure it exists on CD.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2024 at 19:06
^ Thanks, done.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 489>