Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTull without Martin Barre

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Should Jethro Tull cease if Martin Barre is not a part of the Band?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
14 [35.90%]
25 [64.10%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2011 at 15:06
Originally posted by NotAProghead NotAProghead wrote:

By the way, we talk like Tull already fired Martin, but on the band's website tours announced as Ian Anderson's ones, not a single word of Jethro Tull tour: http://j-tull.com/tourdates/index.html.

Ian Anderson - 2011

Ian Anderson "Thick as a Brick" Tour - 2012
Barre makes much the same point on his own website - the TAAB tour is Ian Anderson, not Tull.

Personally I'd be happy to see Tull without Barre, but I'm not sure how I'd feel about new material without MB's input.
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2011 at 15:21
I'd be happy to see everything: JT with and without Barre and even Barre without JT. 

Though TAAB tour without Martin looks strange. I guess there are reasons for this.
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
Anthony View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2011 at 17:38
Tull without Martin is impossible. If it was possible, then Ian wouldn't have released any solo album.
Future prosperity lies in the way you heal the world with love
(Introitus - The hand that feeds you)
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2011 at 21:43
Ian Anderson is JT IMO.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2011 at 09:30
Martin is important, but like many of you have pointed it out....It's Ian Anderson's Band.  And Ian will do whatever he wants to do.
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2011 at 04:08
I am surprised at the results of this poll that I put up.

I think this poll shows that PA has a lot of Tull supporters but few fanatics.

No true Tull fan would even contemplate Martin out of Tull. It would NOT be Tull.

In fact, I only go and see Tull these days to listen to Martin.....as I did back in May this year. 

Anderson's vocals have become embarrasing and unfortunately over the past decade Tull (or at least IA) has turned themselves (himself ) into a self-tribute (one-man) band.

No wonder Martin is exploring other musical paths.
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2011 at 05:44
Without Ian Anderson the band would cease to exist but everyone else is replaceable. Love Barre however over other choices
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2011 at 09:26
Originally posted by BarryGlibb BarryGlibb wrote:

I am surprised at the results of this poll that I put up.

I think this poll shows that PA has a lot of Tull supporters but few fanatics.

No true Tull fan would even contemplate Martin out of Tull. It would NOT be Tull.

In fact, I only go and see Tull these days to listen to Martin.....as I did back in May this year. 

Anderson's vocals have become embarrasing and unfortunately over the past decade Tull (or at least IA) has turned themselves (himself ) into a self-tribute (one-man) band.

No wonder Martin is exploring other musical paths.

This is exactly what I meant. At this moment in time, Jethro Tull is mainly a project of Ian Anderson, not a band as it used to be, and he'll take any musician available when he decides to tour (you can read this on the J-Tull website), since they have not recorded in over a decade. Granted, is his brand name so he can do whatever he wants, and indeed he always chooses very good musicians, but Martin Barre is simply irreplaceable. Ian  can bring great guitarists who emulate Martin's sound and do a decent job at it ( just like Benoit David is doing with Yes, replacing Jon Anderson), but no matter how good they are, they are not Martin Barre, who has a very orchestral approach to his playing, and creates a very unique and personal sound to Jethro Tull's music. 
ColonelClaypool View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2011 at 09:27
Considering the fact that Ian Anderson has absolutely no voice left (I've seen Tull twice over the last 4-5 years or so, the last time was 2 years ago), they should probably cease regardless of Martin Barre's presence in the band.
With magic, you can turn a frog into a prince.
With science, you can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2011 at 18:36
I guess it would be more enjoyable to se a concert with both Anderson and Martin Barre, but with Andrson only playing flute. Whether it was an instrumental project, or if Ian Anderson got some othe singer to help with vocals... I mean, if he can't sing anymore, but can play the flute wonderfully and has music many of us really want to hear.
G. Bostock View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2011 at 19:52
I agree very much with barry glibb on Jethro Tull as being Ian's "Brand" as much as Ians band. Tull will never be the same
Without Martin but they will tour again without Martin or Doanne Perry I think. Ian has spent two years warming up Florian Ophale and
James Duncan (his son) in the Ian Anderson solo tours. Get ready for another reincarnation of Tull.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2011 at 22:30
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I guess it would be more enjoyable to se a concert with both Anderson and Martin Barre, but with Andrson only playing flute. Whether it was an instrumental project, or if Ian Anderson got some othe singer to help with vocals... I mean, if he can't sing anymore, but can play the flute wonderfully and has music many of us really want to hear.

Agreed!!! Too bad Ian Anderson doesn't see it that way and prefers touring, and destroying whatever is left of his vocal chords in the process, than recording an album, so I guess any further guitarist he brings, will only emulate Martin's playing, instead of bringing his input on any new material.
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2011 at 03:34
Manuel you are so spot on.

yanch View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2011 at 06:27
Originally posted by G. Bostock G. Bostock wrote:

I agree very much with barry glibb on Jethro Tull as being Ian's "Brand" as much as Ians band. Tull will never be the same
Without Martin but they will tour again without Martin or Doanne Perry I think. Ian has spent two years warming up Florian Ophale and
James Duncan (his son) in the Ian Anderson solo tours. Get ready for another reincarnation of Tull.

Definitely. Saw Ian with these guys as his back up band and the Tull material was very good. I'm a huge Tull fan and a huge Martin Barre fan, but the reality is that Tull has always been Ian Anderson and other musicians. As huge a part Martin has been to the band, it's all about Ian-he'll do what ever he decides he wants to do. 

That said it would be neat to see a Tull with Anderson on flute and some vocals, Martin on guitar and an additional singer to help out since Ian's voice is about shot.
Dr. Occulator View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2011 at 16:27
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Agreed!!! Too bad Ian Anderson doesn't see it that way and prefers touring, and destroying whatever is left of his vocal chords in the process, than recording an album, so I guess any further guitarist he brings, will only emulate Martin's playing, instead of bringing his input on any new material.

Agreed as well.
As Ian once said 'Too old to rock 'n roll, too young to die'.
I don't think he wants to admit the voice is gone. JT should get an Ian voice clone singer and let Ian concetrate on the flute and acoustic guitar.  Oh yeah, I'd really miss Barre's classy playing too.
My Doc Told Me I Have Doggie Head.
Lizzy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2011 at 18:43
Shame Martin might be leaving, but one should keep an eye out for his future projects, particularly the band he's trying to put together with David Pegg and 'another Tullist, that will apparently perform less popular Tull tunes.
For those interested, here's an interview with Martin where he talks about Tull and upcoming plans.
Property of Queen Productions...
resurrection View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2011 at 02:30
What a laugh - Tull has only ever existed in the mind of Ian Anderson.
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2011 at 02:38
They can do whatever they want - they are the artists - we are the listners - and we are then free to listen to whatever we desire too. 
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
DiamondDog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2011 at 11:01
Jethro Tull IS Ian Anderson, nobody else matters a toss.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12