Topic ClosedLosing interest in prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 181920
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2011 at 15:02
Oh, I still love the old stuff; it is just that new developments leave me cold . One reason for that may also be my own music, which I don't think would fall under "prog" but which interests me a lot more.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
CloseToTheMoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2011 at 14:53
I lose interest in lots of things. My tastes kinda cycle every few months. If anything, they get more specific the next time around. 
It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2011 at 14:42
I've been a bit bored with prog myself lately, but this often happens with my musical tastes. I'm listening to more jazz than anything else at the moment, but there are still occasional Zeuhl and RIO gems to stimulate my jaded palate.
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2011 at 14:36
I feel my interest in new bands has pretty much disappeared.I'm content with what i've got and that relentless pursuit for that special band or album has stopped.Maybe i'll miss out but at this point i don't care because i'm too busy enjoying what i've got.I bought far less new releases than in previous years and that trend will continue.
I love Prog though, and it will be almost all that i listen to in it's various forms.Listening to HATFIELD AND THE NORTH right now.Big smile
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
colorofmoney91 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2011 at 14:31
I've been sick of prog for years. Whenever I found this site, I was excited and listened to everything that was listed on this site and I could get my hands on. Now, after a few years, I've listened to each genre extensively and found the artists that I enjoy versus the artists that I think are kind of lame, and now I'm less interested in prog and have moved onto my next phase: dance music and nu-jazz.

I still come here to talk to prog fans, because once you go prog there is no turning back completely. 
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2011 at 14:24
I kind of feel the same way.

However, the thing of ProgArchives is that it included such a variety of musical forms that there are actually some new "prog" music still worth listening, although you (and I) may not consider it actually prog.

I've been listening to a lot of jazz lately, as well as many indie bands, so yeah, I'm not listening to much Prog and not really keen in the "New Wave of Prog" much anymore.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2011 at 13:56
I must say I lose interest in prog. It just does not interest me anymore what new albums come out, with the odd exception. Jazz and classical music  are much more interesting, in my opinion.. There is so much music to discover which expands my mind more than prog; why, completely exploring the works of Johann Sebastian Bach lone seems to be a task that would take a lifetime but would be much more fulfilling than wasting my time with so-called "new" prog albums which are more or less just an endless repetition of what has already been said.

What's more: I hate the way albums are being produced these days; they all sound extremely sterile. Each instrument clearly separated from the other. Some audio freaks may rejoice about that, but that is not what music sounds like when it is being played live. The instruments all mingle then; there are multiple reverberations and fractions of sound, and this is what makes music sound "alive"; so much nicer for my ears.

I know many of you will disagree and come up with examples of what I absolutely "have" to hear. And I know equally well that I will listen to it, shrug and say "so what?"

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 181920