Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMartin Barre says Tull finished

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Martin Barre says Tull finished
    Posted: January 21 2012 at 23:32
The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2012 at 13:20
I don't have time to listen to that interview right now. Could you quickly summarise exactly what he said regarding the future of Tull? I remember reading something a few months ago which implied that he was personally finished with Tull but Tull themselves were carrying on without him. If that's all he's saying here then that's a substantially different thing to saying Tull's finished.
Slaughternalia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2012 at 13:25
Originally posted by The Hemulen The Hemulen wrote:

I don't have time to listen to that interview right now. Could you quickly summarise exactly what he said regarding the future of Tull?
I'm so mad that you enjoy a certain combination of noises that I don't
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2012 at 18:40
Originally posted by thirdofnever thirdofnever wrote:

http://www.kinston.com/articles/jethro-78234-tull-barre.html

He doesn't say Tull are finished.

He says at least two times that Tull "are on ice".

Which I must admit doesn't sound optimistic but he does not say they are finished.

As he states in the interview Tull are probably the only band in existence that have not had a hiatus in their career. i.e. they have toured every year since 1968 (except for 1985 where they only played 1 show). So it seems to him inevitable that a break is a healthy thing. But you get a feeling that he is/was not happy with the present Tull touring aspect, he is very careful however at not putting Ian down in any way. Which is in itself shows great character.

I have a gut feeling there will be a Tull album in the future (unless one of them passes away...I shouldn't think like that)...maybe it will happen in 2018 to celebrate their 50th anniversary. One thing that is likely is that it Will be their last.
DiamondDog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2012 at 11:16
Tull was finished when Ian broke up the band. After that it was just him & whoever.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2012 at 14:38
Originally posted by DiamondDog DiamondDog wrote:

Tull was finished when Ian broke up the band. After that it was just him & whoever.

When did Andeson break up Tull? 1968?1970? 1971? 1975? 1979? 1980? 1983? 1987? 1989? 1991? 1995? 1999? 2005? I.e. whenever there was a personnel change? 
Tull has been an evolving entity over 44 years with Anderson and Barre being the constants.
They have never broken up.
Warthur View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2012 at 05:06
I seem to remember seeing the current Aqualung 40th anniversary shows being promoted around here as Ian Anderson solo shows, not Tull performances. Which struck me as being kind of odd - why not bring out the full band if you're going to commemorate one of its finest achievements?
UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2012 at 05:46
Originally posted by BarryGlibb BarryGlibb wrote:

When did Andeson break up Tull? 1968?1970? 1971? 1975? 1979? 1980? 1983? 1987? 1989? 1991? 1995? 1999? 2005? I.e. whenever there was a personnel change? 
Tull has been an evolving entity over 44 years with Anderson and Barre being the constants.

As far as I remember the band shortly broke up around 1973. Anyone who can confirm this?

...as a consequence War Child was actually supposed to have been an Ian A. solo album.

Edited by UMUR - January 27 2012 at 05:53
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2012 at 08:41
An 'evolving entity' huh? Is that what you call something that has a sun in the centre with varying orbiting moons? Martin Barre was only a constant after the original guitarist was kicked out, then everyone else followed....and followed....and followed...... Don't get me wrong, anything Ian Anderson does is fine by me, he's terrific! But 'Jethro Tull' is only a jar label, not a band at all.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2012 at 09:00

An 'evolving entity' huh? Is that what you call something that has a sun in the centre with varying orbiting moons? Martin Barre was only a constant after the original guitarist was kicked out, then everyone else followed....and followed....and followed...... Don't get me wrong, anything Ian Anderson does is fine by me, he's terrific! But 'Jethro Tull' is only a jar label, not a band at all.

That is a really weird attitude.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2012 at 11:00
Hi,

I don't know ... I really thought that Tull was over for me since "Minstrel in a Gallery" ... I never got into the small cuts and the radio music gig that Ian went on for, even though there always was a nice piece or song here and there. It stopped being progressive after 1975, let's say ... for me!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2012 at 15:18
Originally posted by The Hemulen The Hemulen wrote:

That is a really weird attitude.
What's weird to me is kidding yourself that a band exists when it doesn't. I suppose some people need a comfort zone.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2012 at 17:04
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Originally posted by BarryGlibb BarryGlibb wrote:

As far as I remember the band shortly broke up around 1973. Anyone who can confirm this?

...as a consequence War Child was actually supposed to have been an Ian A. solo album.

The1973 split was just a publicity stunt by manager Terry Ellis in response to the bad reviews of A Passion Play.....they did not break up.
Warchild was never going to be an Ian Anderson solo project. It was intended to be a feature film with Adam Faith playing the lead role but it did not come to fruition. Now that project should be recommisioned! 

The A album was the one that was going to be a solo Anderson project but ended up being a new Tull album with a few different personnel such as Eddie Jobson.
enigma View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2012 at 13:00
It's probably mentioned elsewhere in this forum, but Planet Rock are having an Ian Anderson special later this week when he'll be playing tracks from the new Thick As A Brick 2 album.

Sorry if already mentioned elsewhere
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2012 at 13:11
Originally posted by enigma enigma wrote:

It's probably mentioned elsewhere in this forum, but Planet Rock are having an Ian Anderson special later this week when he'll be playing tracks from the new Thick As A Brick 2 album.

The what now?
enigma View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2012 at 13:28
I just heard it mentioned 30 minutes ago on the station (Nicky Horne I think).
He said the show will be starting at 6pm (GMT), I guess it will be in the next few days.

I've not found any mention of Anderson doing TAAB2 anywhere other than his 2012 tour of the original album.
I hope Horne did not get mixed up, the wife and I have had our flabber well and truly ghasted by what he said.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2012 at 13:33

He said the show will be starting at 6pm (GMT), I guess it will be in the next few days.

I've not found any mention of Anderson doing TAAB2 anywhere other than his 2012 tour of the original album.
I hope Horne did not get mixed up, the wife and I have had our flabber well and truly ghasted by what he said.

I suspect it's a misread/misquote.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2012 at 13:36

Yeah, I think there's gotta be some kind of mix up here. I was aware of the tour and I think there might have been some kind of new anniversary release of the album, so maybe it's in reference to that. I honestly can't imagine Anderson wanting to do some kind of TAAB sequel at this stage in his career and, if he had, I reckon we'd have heard something about it prior to the tracks being ready for radio airplay.
enigma View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2012 at 14:13
Gerald Bostock is now on Twitter using the name @TAAB2
an hour ago he tweeted this....

https://twitter.com/taab2/status/164412785810345984
enigma View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2012 at 14:44
It appears to be genuine, TAAB2 is real!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>