Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Keith Emerson or Rick Wakeman?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Poll Question: Which of these two keyboards wizards from 60's & 70's do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
49 [39.84%]
49 [39.84%]
22 [17.89%]
3 [2.44%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 13:59
prefer Wakeman and the bands he played in
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 15:08
Emerson 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 16:41
love Wakeman .. I mean who doesn't...

but Emerson was perhaps prog's single greatest and most infuential musican. I mean..  seriously.. if could point to one individual responsible for prog rock.. it was Emerson.  Wakeman was nice.. but really has nothing on Emerson for what they did and meant to prog.  Plus.. to be honest.. he is more fun to listen to.  He wasnt just a supporting player in a great band.. he was THE player around which the sound was based around.  That took talent.. and some balls.. for everyone loves w**king guitarists.. but keyboardists.  To do that.. wow man..  that is the reason he won all those keyboardist polls for as many years as he did. The Hendirx of the keys...   perhaps Wakeman had it in him.. had the sheer talent.. to do that.. but he didn't.  
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 16:52
Rick but honestly not by much. Both are great. 
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivan_Melgar_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 21:15
Grumpy Old Rick

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 21:58
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

love Wakeman .. I mean who doesn't...

but Emerson was perhaps prog's single greatest and most infuential musican. I mean..  seriously.. if could point to one individual responsible for prog rock.. it was Emerson.  Wakeman was nice.. but really has nothing on Emerson for what they did and meant to prog.  Plus.. to be honest.. he is more fun to listen to.  He wasnt just a supporting player in a great band.. he was THE player around which the sound was based around.  That took talent.. and some balls.. for everyone loves w**king guitarists.. but keyboardists.  To do that.. wow man..  that is the reason he won all those keyboardist polls for as many years as he did. The Hendirx of the keys...   perhaps Wakeman had it in him.. had the sheer talent.. to do that.. but he didn't.  

I guess Emerson was indeed more influential and all, and what ELP did could hardly be surpassed... at least as far as keyboard driven prog goes. But I wouldn't say Wakeman didn't have it in him... yes, in Yes he was just another musician (but then, what do you do in a band where every single musician is as brilliant in their instrument as Wakeman was on keyboards?), but in his solo albums the focus was all on keyboards, and he did take the spotlight. Only, he didn't gather a single band to support him, but went the solo way. And he did follow his vision regardless of what common commercial sense would dictate... and was succesful in doing so (except that the disc companies executives took advantage of him, as far as I understand).
Walkscore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walkscore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 23:03
"Both" was available, making it too easy to choose that one!
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 23:05
Rick
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2018 at 13:16
I prefer Yes to ELP. That being said, having seen both play live I honestly believe Keith was the better player.
Rick is great, but Keith gets the edge. 
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2018 at 07:49
Too close to call but I'll vote for Wakeman as he is still kicking ass.
Saw ARW last year and was very impressed by the caped one...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345