Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSteve Howe SLO HiRez Photo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steve Howe SLO HiRez Photo
    Posted: February 10 2012 at 20:53
Hi everybody,Smile

I posted a 3400 pixel photo of Jon Anderson @SLO in my introduction thread.
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=84833

Here is a photo of Steve Howe from the same show in San Louis Obispo that I took in 1996.
(It was during And You And I)

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/8915/stevehoweslo1.jpg

I do not wish it to be published or distributed, but you may use it for personal use on your computer
or print out a nice 8x10 or 11x14 if you like.  It is over 3300 pixels wide and should enlarge quite nicely.

It is a token of my appreciation to be here in this forum.  These photos have never been shared before.
I hope people here enjoy them.

Kindest Regards,

DennisMoore

Edited by dennismoore - February 11 2012 at 12:25
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2012 at 23:27
Very nice, thank you for posting!  

This is my single favorite photo of Jon Anderson, taken by my friend Curt "Leroy" Krill at the "Relayer" show, August 14, 1976, at the Hawthorne Race Course in Illinois!  I don't recall which song this was, possibly "Gates"!   

BnT View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2012 at 11:30
Originally posted by dennismoore dennismoore wrote:

I do not wish it to be published or distributed, but you may use it for personal use on your computer

and what would that "personal use" entail, exactly? hmmm...Tongue
dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2012 at 12:16
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

This is my single favorite photo of Jon Anderson, taken by my friend Curt "Leroy" Krill at the "Relayer" show, August 14, 1976, at the Hawthorne Race Course in Illinois!  I don't recall which song this was, possibly "Gates"!  

Hi cstack3,Smile

I presume that is you in the avatar?  Nice bass!  I just got a Rickenbacker 4/12 double neck(it is a copy)

WOW!!!!!  I love that JA picture.  That is tremendous!  Thanks for sharing it here. Big smile
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2012 at 12:20
Originally posted by BnT BnT wrote:

and what would that "personal use" entail, exactly? hmmm...Tongue

For a "person" used within the confines of their home or legally registered vehicle or ski chalet.  Having an 11X14 print
made and hanging on the wall would be a fine example of personal use.

Bad examples:

Selling to the Chinese or anybody else - BAD
Publishing in a book - - BAD
Abusing the photo is a way that is not consistent with community standards - BAD

I hope you liked the photo.  Smile
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2012 at 13:39

Hi cstack3,Smile

I presume that is you in the avatar?  Nice bass!  I just got a Rickenbacker 4/12 double neck(it is a copy)

WOW!!!!!  I love that JA picture.  That is tremendous!  Thanks for sharing it here. Big smile

Thank you and thank you!  My avatar bass is a handmade fretless built by Hugh Manson in Exeter, UK....he is Steve Howe's luthier and builder of basses for John Paul Jones.  Mine is a twin to Jone's "Eric the Red" bass that he plays with "Them Crooked Vultures," but his is fretted.  

Enjoy the Rick copy!  I have a 1973 Rick 4001 in Fireglo finish that is lusted after by many, it is nearly mint!  The only way to sound like Squire is to play a Rick!  

You bring much to PA, welcome aboard!  I have more prog photos and you have inspired me to put them up!!  Cheers, Chuck
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2012 at 14:01
I could listen to any Jon Anderson solo cd while looking at that pic and love it.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2012 at 14:10
I could just look at what Steve was playing and know they were performing "And You and I!"  LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2012 at 15:39
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

I could listen to any Jon Anderson solo cd while looking at that pic and love it.

Dude, which JA photo, cstack3's or the one I posted?
The HIGH Resolution jpg is here: http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/7638/jonslo1.jpg

Keep in mind the person's photo who you don't choose will be emotionally crushed...Wink

uh, and sayin   "Oh, I love both very much" won't be accepted as an answer.Approve

Cheers!
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2012 at 16:40

The HIGH Resolution jpg is here: http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/7638/jonslo1.jpg

Keep in mind the person's photo who you don't choose will be emotionally crushed...Wink

uh, and sayin   "Oh, I love both very much" won't be accepted as an answer.Approve

Cheers!

I love both very much!!  There!!  Cry

Let's have a YES PICTURE PARTY!!  Steve Howe at the same Illinois concert, and since he's playing a Les Paul Junior, this must be "Ritual"!!  

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2012 at 18:11
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

I could just look at what Steve was playing and know they were performing "And You and I!"  LOL

I wasn't sure to even include the song info., as obviously there is a very educated crowd around here.

Double string acoustic and pedal steel, could it have been any other song?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2012 at 18:16
Hi chuck,

That is an awesome picture of Steve.  I am about to post a Rick Wakeman - YES photo.  I challenge
you to come up with a Wakeman photo from that concert you have been posting pictures from. LOLLOLLOL

This photo is from the same YES - SLO show in 1996. 

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2012 at 19:27

Hi chuck,

That is an awesome picture of Steve.  I am about to post a Rick Wakeman - YES photo.  I challenge
you to come up with a Wakeman photo from that concert you have been posting pictures from. LOLLOLLOL

Okay, I'll see your Rick and raise you one!  This is my wife, Ginny, me and Sir Richard after the 35th Anniversary Show in Chicago, 2004!   The fellow who made my bass was kind enough to get us after-show passes! 

Fox On The Rocks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2012 at 23:08
Hey dennismoore. Thanks for all those photos of Rick and Steve! Which Yes song is your favourite?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2012 at 23:18

Cheers!

I love both very much!!  There!!  Cry

Let's have a YES PICTURE PARTY!!  Steve Howe at the same Illinois concert, and since he's playing a Les Paul Junior, this must be "Ritual"!!  

Did Steve use a Les Paul Junior on Tales? I was actually suprised to see him playing one in this picture. I never knew he played a Junior. Also, if this was in 76, then that Relayer tour must have been a long one, since Relayer came out in 74.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2012 at 23:20

Hi chuck,

Okay, I'll see your Rick and raise you one!  This is my wife, Ginny, me and Sir Richard after the 35th Anniversary Show in Chicago, 2004!   The fellow who made my bass was kind enough to get us after-show passes! 

Big smile
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2012 at 00:38
Originally posted by Fox On The Rocks Fox On The Rocks wrote:

Did Steve use a Les Paul Junior on Tales? I was actually suprised to see him playing one in this picture. I never knew he played a Junior. Also, if this was in 76, then that Relayer tour must have been a long one, since Relayer came out in 74.

Indeed he did!  I have a copy of his book "The Steve Howe Guitar Collection" (signed of course!), and he says on page 37, in a section titled "Topographic Madness":

"For Topographic I ended up playing the (Gibson ES) 345 on side one and Danelectro 12-string on some of side two, but the (Gibson Les Paul) Junior is on most of sides two, three and four, where it is the key guitar.  Side four in particular is all about the Junior."

"Looking back, I probably would have chosen to change guitars a little more often.  But at the time I stuck with it for continuity and simplicity." 

Sorry, I'm pretty much a guitar geek!  Every time I've seen Yes perform "Ritual" onstage, Steve used the Les Paul Junior. Interesting, it was marketed as an entry-level beginner's guitar, but he liked it for its simplicity!   He gets an amazing tone out of it!  

As far as that tour, it was the "Relayer" material, but Wikipedia refers to it as the "Solo Album Tour."  I saw the original "Relayer" tour twice, but missed this particular '76 show.  I'm told it was amazing as always!  

Edited by cstack3 - February 12 2012 at 00:43
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2012 at 07:55

Hey dennismoore. Thanks for all those photos of Rick and Steve! Which Yes song is your favourite?

Hi Fox On The Rocks,Smile

I have a hard time picking my favorite anything, to me each song, person, album or ice cream flavor has their own merits(or demerits for that matter!), so I am not good at number 1s, at all.  Since you asked the question you do deserve an answer so, I will say...

Awaken off Going For The One, mostly because that album came after I had become a YES Fan.  I first heard "Yes - Yesterdays" in 1976, so it was nice to be walking in a record store one day and in the new arrivals section there was GFTO, and then I saw YES that summer in '77 for my first concert ever.Big smile  Awaken has that amazingly complicated & fast yet precise guitar work by Steve.  That blew me away completely.  And how can you go wrong with a real pipe organ recorded direct from an old church straight to the recording studio multitrack???

Do you have a favorite YES song?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2012 at 08:40

Hi Chuck,

You make quite the spectacle when you are wearing spectacles along with that dashingly handsome smile you have!  That is a great photo.Smile

Did Rick tell any jokes when you met him?

You have proven to be quite formidable in posting quality YES pictures.  But how much more gas is left in the tank???  Beer

You seem to have a propensity for the 4 stringed lute(why not add 2 strings to get to 6 and join the rest of us civilized musicians and be a "guitarist"???Wink)

Oh well, have it your way.  Here is a photo from SLO of a nice Greco-Roman column!
(Check your PM)

Edited by dennismoore - February 12 2012 at 08:41
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2012 at 15:55

Hi Fox On The Rocks,Smile

I have a hard time picking my favorite anything, to me each song, person, album or ice cream flavor has their own merits(or demerits for that matter!), so I am not good at number 1s, at all.  Since you asked the question you do deserve an answer so, I will say...

Awaken off Going For The One, mostly because that album came after I had become a YES Fan.  I first heard "Yes - Yesterdays" in 1976, so it was nice to be walking in a record store one day and in the new arrivals section there was GFTO, and then I saw YES that summer in '77 for my first concert ever.Big smile  Awaken has that amazingly complicated & fast yet precise guitar work by Steve.  That blew me away completely.  And how can you go wrong with a real pipe organ recorded direct from an old church straight to the recording studio multitrack???

Do you have a favorite YES song?

Aw yes Approve, Awaken is a masterpiece. Some of Wakeman's and Howe's best work and who doesn't love those lyrics and vocals from Jon. One of the most ethereal and beautiful pieces of music I've ever heard and one heck of an ending if you ask me! As you said, it's very hard to pick a favourite anything, but when it all comes down to it, I'd say my favourite Yes song of all time is And You And I. The Eclipse section, in particular, always gets me. Mellotron Heaven.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>