Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCollaborators' Top Albums of 2011

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Collaborators' Top Albums of 2011
    Posted: February 21 2012 at 05:13

Welcome to the 7th annual ProgArchives Collaborator’s 2011 Album of the Year contest! Clap

As many of you know, ProgArchives has, for a number years, hosted an in-house “album of the year” contest in which all types of collaborators, including VIP Members, Prog Reviewers, Collaborators, Special Collaborators, and Administrators post their top 10 albums of the year, and these lists are gathered, processed, collated, and compiled into a definitive Collaborator’s Top Albums list. And here is that list.

This year I had the honor of compiling these lists, and it was quite the ride. This year, we had a wonderful 70 voters who nominated a record 249 separate albums. This is a large jump from last year’s numbers, and I’d like to thank every collaborator who took time to compile their own personal list!

The year was strong in all aspects of progressive rock, and numerous excellent releases in the realm of neo-prog, RPI, prog metal, crossover, eclectic prog and psych rock saturated the scene especially, among other strong showings. Sadly not every single album released this year could be adequately listened to and reviewed, so please bear in mind that this list, or any other AOTY list, is not truly "complete," although we did our very best to represent the vast recesses of prog here today.

Without further ado, here it is….

The ProgArchives Collaborator’s Top Albums of 2011

1.     STEVEN WILSON – Grace for Drowning

Steven Wilson is near synonymous with progressive rock, and he is well-known in virtually every prog circle known to man, whether in the form of his poster band Porcupine Tree, his ambient project Bass Communion, his psych act No-Man, or, more recently, his solo career. On the tails of 2009’s Insurgents, Grace for Drowning is one of Wilson’s finest works yet, comprised of some of his freshest ideas and strongest compositions.

“[Grace for Drowning is] One of the most diverse, brilliant, haunting, heart-felt, transcending, contemporary, daring, progressive, eclectic, creative, beautiful works of music I've ever heard. … In this album, Steven Wilson demonstrates his uniqueness as a composer and his knowledge of prog and contemporary "classical" composition techniques at a level of such height that's it's almost scary to fathom that he's actually human.” – Isa, Prog Reviewer.

Statistics:

·         Genre: Crossover prog

·         522 ratings, 4.22 stars

·         Appears on 27% of all lists

·         Number of #1 listings: 5

·         Song sampler (“Raider [Edit]”):

[FLASH WIDTH=500 HEIGHT=81]https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapi.soundcloud.com%2Ftracks%2F23687510[/FLASH]

2.     OPETH – Heritage

Opeth is easily one of the most well-known progressive death metal bands in the industry and have legions of diehard fans. However, after the release of 2008’s Watershed, it was clear band leader Mike Åkerfeldt was done with the death metal standard. So, it was announced the band’s next release, Heritage, would go back to just that – the heritage of the band’s music – vintage 70s prog, with a classic Opeth twist; and the growl-less album is just that.

“A stunning masterpiece tribute to the 70s… this is their most progressive album I would suggest. This is my favorite Opeth album hands down, and I am a dedicated Opeth convert if they continue down this path.” – AtomicCrimsonRush, Special Collaborator

Statistics:

·         Genre: Tech/Extreme Metal

·         501 ratings, 3.89 stars

·         Appears on 21% of all lists

·         Number of #1 listings: 1

·         Song sampler (“Slither”):

[FLASH WIDTH=500 HEIGHT=81]https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapi.soundcloud.com%2Ftracks%2F23889262[/FLASH]

3.     HAKEN – Visions

Haken are still relatively new to the scene, having released their debut album only last year with 2010’s Aquarius. The fresh Brit proggers were quick to return to the studio after the successful release of their previous album, and in seemingly no time at all the band had written and recorded their sophomore effort, Visions. The album is epic and grandiose, encompassing all the elements they explored in their previous effort and pushing the creative envelope even more.

With Aquarius, Haken established a distinct blend of progressive metal that, while still drawing heavily from the likes of Dream Theater and Pain of Salvation, sounded totally original and unique. Visions is more or less that same exact style, but a lot more focused and mature. Any flaws…are nowhere to be found on Visions. Haken's masterful abilities as composers are shown in full-force; through all of the complexity and odd time signature shifts, there's not an awkward transition anywhere in sight.” – J-Man, Prog Reviewer

Statistics:

·         Genre: Heavy Prog

·         305 ratings, 4.23 stars

·         Appears on 26% of all lists

·         Number of #1 listings: 2

4.     DISCIPLINE – To Shatter All Accord

Discipline was one of those lesser-known but highly respected Symphonic prog revival acts from the 90s that released a few masterpiece albums and then disappeared from the prog spectrum. While the 2000s where generally fruitless for the band, the guys got back together in 2010-11, the first time since the release of 1997’s Unfolded like Staircase, to record their next opus, To Shatter All Accord, which demonstrated writing quality prog, at least for Discipline, is just like riding a bike – you never quite lose the hang of it.

When I read on PA's forums that Discipline would be releasing a new album after 14 years of studio silence, it quickly jumped to the top of my "anticipated albums" list… Discipline have come back with an album that not only holds its own against their earlier work but may actually supersede it. The songwriting here is more refined then it ever has been, and with "To Shatter All Accord" Discipline injects just enough new and innovative material to make the album sound fresh and new without losing any of their old magic.” – VanVanVan, Forum Senior Member

Statistics:

·         Genre: Symphonic prog

·         211 ratings, 4.29 stars

·         Appears on 24% of all lists

·         Song sampler (“Dead City”):

[FLASH WIDTH=500 HEIGHT=81]https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapi.soundcloud.com%2Ftracks%2F30645165[/FLASH]

5.     PHIDEAUX – Snowtorch

Phideaux Xavier is an interesting member of the prog community, making numerous albums under his pseudo-eponym in his signature “psychedelic progressive gothic rock” and making sets of concept albums that overlap and interlock and weave between each other. Xavier and crew set out to record yet another conceptual album this year as well, following his previous album Number Seven from 2009. Snowtorch proved to be one of his best yet, and Phideaux’s vibrant and creative style has certainly left a mark on the prog community.

“Phideaux hasn't lost his sense of mystery throughout Snowtorch, and he hasn't lost his sense of melody. Boy oh boy, are we for a treat this time!... After the End of the World, now the Birth of Life, the Source of all Reason. A fun concept, full of the quirky lines by Xavier's and with the same quality of the other records. Even better? Perhaps. It's a short album, the band has chosen quality over quantity this time. A modest 45 minutes  with no filling, never a dull moment, not a weak track.” – Menswear, Prog Reviewer

Statistics:

·         Genre: Crossover prog

·         412 ratings, 4.15 stars

·         Appears on 19% of all lists

·         Number of #1 listings: 4

·         Song sampler (“Snowtorch Part 1”):

[FLASH WIDTH=500 HEIGHT=81]https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapi.soundcloud.com%2Ftracks%2F11422626[/FLASH]

6.     KATE BUSH – 50 Words for Snow

Our list’s second snowy offering, David Gilmour’s favorite discovery Kate Bush may not be what everyone calls “prog,” but 50 Words for Snow, her first all-new studio album since 2005’s Aerial, certainly sounds it to me. The singer’s emotive, jazz-saturated album certainly caught the attention of many listeners and the album soon became well respected for its mature and well-developed compositions and excellent “wintery” atmosphere – perfect for describing snow in 50 or so words.

From a simple snowflake to building snowmen to lovers meeting and being separated across time as on Snowed In At Wheeler Street there's a wintry theme throughout [50 Words for Snow]. The album’s largely restrained and mellow vibe has a similar feel to much of Aerial…. Here it's even more so; the album content to be dominated by sparse jazzy piano and lightly played drums much of the time played by the incredible Steve Gadd no less. It's not until later in the album when anything approaching upbeat actually happens. This however works in its favour making it a wonderful late night chilling out in front of the fire, obligatory malt whisky in hand sort of album.” – Nightfly, Special Collaborator

Statistics:

·         Genre: Prog-related

·         44 ratings, 3.96 stars

·         Number of #1 listings: 3

·         Song sample (“50 Words for Snow”):

[FLASH WIDTH=500 HEIGHT=81]https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapi.soundcloud.com%2Fplaylists%2F1448078[/FLASH]

7.     WOBBLER – Rites at Dawn

Of all the modern symphonic prog bands, Wobbler is relatively new, debuting with Hinterland back in 2005. They’ve only released two albums since then, Afterglow in 2009 and their latest, Rites at Dawn. The band takes heavily from the slew of classic 70s symphonic bands that have come before them, but they add their own Norwegian spice that makes their generally upbeat and energetic music fresh and enjoyable and aloof from the multifarious modern symph bands that do precisely the same thing that they do. Rites at Dawn is no different, and the quintet’s fantastic chemistry shines throughout the well-constructed compositions.

Wobbler are known for their decidedly retro sound; the band only uses vintage instruments, including the Hammond organ and Moog synthesizer. This aesthetic remains in full force on Rites at Dawn, but it is approached from a different angle. The previous two albums approached symphonic-prog in a dark and hard-hitting manner…However, they have adopted a much lighter approach here… This is a lost Yes album, but it doesn't earn that title simply because it sounds like Yes. This is a brilliantly composed and soulfully performed release that manages to recreate everything that made Yes such a great band.” – Anthony H., Prog Reviewer

Statistics:

·         Genre: Symphonic prog

·         216 ratings, 3.93 stars

·         Appears on 17% of all lists

·         Song sampler (“La Bealtaine”):

[FLASH WIDTH=500 HEIGHT=81]https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapi.soundcloud.com%2Ftracks%2F14366317[/FLASH]

8.     UNEXPECT – Fables of the Sleepless Empire

With 2006’s In a Flesh Aquarium, Unexpect emerged onto the avant-guard metal scene with an unprecedented force. Or maybe that was just the shockwave ChaotH’s 9-string bass made… But speculation aside, Unexpect’s explosive circus/death/black/prog/extreme metal style took the whole scene by surprise, if there even is a scene for such avant styles of music. The band was obviously quite tired after making such an incredibly energetic album, as it took them five years to write and record their follow up album Fables of the Sleepless Empire. The band had intensified and streamlined their style, adding more dimension and slightly cutting back on the all-hell-will-now-break-loose style that dominated their previous effort. While this album may be less chaotic, it certainly proved to be yet another strong release.

UneXpect's IN A FLESH ACQUARIUM is perhaps the craziest piece of avant-metal ever made. For FABLES, the band added not only a vastly improved sense of composition, but also infused numerous displays of technical prowess that are often on the leading edge of the member's respective instruments. Bassist Chaoth (on 9-string) is especially mind-boggling, but the guitars and drums match any DT clone prowess while working through songs that are not only more complex, but infinitely more emotionally evocative… At my fifth or sixth listen through, I am still discovering new mind-blowing aspects of this album on every song. If you love metal, pick it up and get ready for your jaw to drop.” – Negoba, Prog Reviewer

Statistics:

·         Genre: Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

·         201 ratings, 4.11 stars

·         Appears on 17% of all lists

·         Number of #1 listings: 0 (Highest listing #2)

9.     DREAM THEATER – A Dramatic Turn of Events

Dream Theater is easily the most well-known progressive metal band in the prog scene. They’ve been at it for nearly 30 years, and they never seem to stop producing at least some degree of quality prog metal. However, in 2010 they hit a bit of a snag when their founding drummer Mike Portnoy departed from his lovechild. The band didn’t skip a beat though, as they brought it veteran Mike Mangini and started recording their 11th studio album, A Dramatic Turn of Events, no pun intended. The album proved to be one of their best yet, and has done quite well in initiating Mangini into the family.

A year has passed since that fateful day when Mike Portnoy announced that he had quit Dream Theater. Now, with drummer Mike Mangini on board, the band have struck out with a new album, ready to prove that Dream Theater minus Portnoy is just as good, if not better. When I first heard the title of this album, I had to stifle a groan…However, I am quite shocked and relieved to say that tripe it is not! Indeed, Dream Theater seems to have got their heads in the right place to make this album. In fact, I can safely say that every song on this album is enjoyable and interesting…As someone who knows the band very well, I could not have been happier with this album… 'A Dramatic Turn of Events' is an astonishing album that will keep Dream Theater fans happy for years to come.” – baz91, Prog Reviewer

Statistics:

·         Genre: Progressive metal

·         660 ratings, 4.04 stars

·         Number of #1 listings: 1

·         Song sample (“On the Backs of Angels”):

[FLASH WIDTH=500 HEIGHT=81]https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapi.soundcloud.com%2Fplaylists%2F1138345[/FLASH]

10.     LEPROUS – Bilateral

Leprous joins the group of prog newbies that take the stage on the top 10 this year, having released their debut album Tall Poppy Syndrome only in 2009. The debut sent ripples through the progressive death metal scene, and while they seemed to be heavily influenced by Opeth, they had a distinct air about them, setting them apart from their fellow death-proggers. The band returned in 2011 to released their second album, Bilateral, which was objectively less about death and more about prog, and it certainly exceeds the band’s former effort creatively.

After being blown away by their debut 'Tall Poppy Syndrome', this was a much anticipated album for 2011. And I must say that I'm not disappointed. Leprous built further on their songwriting and playing strengths, and also dropped their extreme vocals almost entirely, which I find a wise choice in their case. Leprous are probably the most exciting thing in prog metal since a long long time…The sound is fuller, heavier and more metallic, and vocalist Solberg just has the perfect voice. Leprous is a unique band that succeeds in marrying the attractions of classic prog metal with a fresh approach that is aggressive and modern, avoiding both the cliches and the cheese, and remaining entirely fascinating throughout the entire album.” – Bonnek, Special Collaborator

Statistics:

·         Genre: Tech/Extreme Metal

·         182 ratings, 3.89 stars

·         Appears on 13% of all lists

·         Song sample (“Restless”):

[FLASH WIDTH=500 HEIGHT=81]https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapi.soundcloud.com%2Ftracks%2F19015869[/FLASH]

Full list incoming... Approve

Edited by Andy Webb - July 17 2015 at 12:58
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 05:17

1-10

Grace For Drowning (Steven Wilson)

Heritage (Opeth)

Visions (Haken)

To Shatter All Accord (Discipline)

Snowtorch (Phideaux)

50 Words for Snow (Kate Bush)

Rites At Dawn (Wobbler)

Fables of the Sleepless Empire (Unexpect)

A Dramatic Turn of Events (Dream Theater)

Bilateral (Leprous)

11-25

Deconstruction (Devin Townsend Project)

Iconoclast (Symphony X)

The Hunter (Mastodon)

La Coscienza di Zeno

Deep Politics (Grails)

Summereve (Hostsonaten)

1000 Autunni (Ske)

Weightless (Animals as Leaders)

Mammoth (Beardfish)

Assurdo (Garden Wall)

Sympathetic Resonance (Arch/Matheos)

I Wash my Soul in the Stream of Infinity (My Brother the Wind)

Testimony 2 (Neal Morse)

War of the Roses (Ulver)

Epoch (Fen)

26-50

Kublai (Accordo Dei Contrari)

The Rising of the Lights (William D. Drake)

Elements (Introitus)

I a moon (North Sea Radio Orchestra)

Risveglio (Egonon)

The King Is Dead (The Decemberists)

Live InTokyo (One Shot)

Di Carne, Di Anima (Gran Turismo Veloce)

Enigma (Seven Sided Diamond)

Ever After (Sanhedrin)

Cane Di Schiena (Calomito)

Road Salt Two (Pain of Salvation)

Ghost (Devin Townsend Project)

War and Peace (Sean Filkins)

King of Limbs (Radiohead)

A Scarcity of Miracles (Jazsyck, Fripp, and Collins)

New I Fealing (Make a Rising)

Plains of the Purple Bufalo (*shels)

Comm (Tangent)

Carbon-Based Anatomy (Cynic)

Empros (Russian Circles)

The Octopus (Amplifier)

Dead Horse (Charts and Maps)

Blemmebeya (Akt)

Tales of the Sands (Myrath)

51-100

Beyond the Shrouded Horizon (Steve Hackett)

Particelle (Lagartija)

Fly From Here (Yes)

Sempre E Ovunque Oltre il Sogno (Pandora)

III (Senogul)

Levin Torn White

Ever Forthright

Terminal Twilight (White Willow)

Saturnal (October Equus)

The Color Spectrum (The Dear Hunter)

The Black Forest (Angents of Mercy)

Immeasurable Currents (Dave Willey)

Breathing (Paatos)

La Via Della Seta (Le Orme)

All We Destroy (Grayceon)

Druckfarben

Night of Hunters (Tori Amos)

Klubkin's Voyage (Quorum)

AD 2011 (I Treni All'Alba)

Forth (Proto-Kaw)

Caterpillarmen

A Grounding in Numbers (Van Der Graaf Generator)

White Silence (Cave In)

Polyimage of Known Exits (Tartar Lamb)

The Magician Chronicles Part 1 (Brighteye Bison)

No ifs, ands, or Dogs (Cheer-Accident)

Cenotes (Giant Squid)

Back From Being Gone (The Anabasis)

Flight Of Fancy (X-Panda)

Schnoergl Attahk (Cambert)

Who is this Who is Coming (The Future Kings of England)

Tundra (Korekyojin)

Architects of Flesh-Density (The Nerve Institute)

Falling Deeper (Anathema)

The Agent that Shapes the Desert (Virus)

Something Dirty (Faust)

The Aristocrats

Olympic Games (Siinai)

Died in the Wool (David Sylvian)

No Help for the Mighty Ones (Subrosa)

[4603 Battements] (Lazuli)

Glue Works (Gosta Berlings Saga)

Three Compositions of no Jazz (Microkingdom)

In a Perfect World (Karmakanic)

For All We Know

The Suffering Joy (Magic Pie)

Living With the Ancients (Blood Ceremony)

Thirteen Eight (FreddeGredde)

Evoluzione Delle Forme (Ego)

100-150

Brown Shark, Red Lion (Eksi Ekso)

In the Last Waking Moments (Edison's Children)

En Form for Blå (Aethenor)

Chrysalis (Man on Fire)

Herd of Instinct

Green Naugahyde (Primus)

Cardinal Points (Legend)

A Tower of Silence

Gloss Drop (Battles)

Celestial Lineage (Wolves in the Throne Room)

A((wake)) 

Imaginaerum (Nightwish)

Master Sleeps (Hills)

Deerhoof vs. Evil (Deerhoof)

The Parallax: Hypersleep Dialogues (Between the Buried and Me)

West (Wooden Shjips)

Eläinten Fanfaari (Kauhukakara)

Tripper (Hella)

Bob's Drive-in (Bob Drake)

Demon Hardi (Jack Dupon)

Radio Transmissions (Paul Kidney Experience)

Rocq (Baroque)

Februus (Uneven Structure)

Time Mirror (Par Lindh Project)

Welcome to my DNA (Blackfield)

Gangs (And so I Watch You From Afar)

Passion (Pendragon)

Communication Lost (Wolverine)

Revolu$ion (Nemo)

Una Strana Commedia (Mario Cottarelli)

Lights from the Deep (Ignatius)

Against Reason (Credo)

Testimony Two Live (Neal Morse)

Alone (Ruins)

Totem 3 (Master Musicians of Bukkake)

Touchstones (Subsignal)

Great and Terrible Potions (Ben Craven)

Dear Lord No Deal (Knifeworld)

Pewt'r Sessions 1 (Vausa Sui)

Optical Delusions (Planeta Imaginario)

Mechanisms (Cranium Pie)

Helioscope (Vessels)

Long Distance Calling

Let Yourself be Huge (Cloudkicker)

So Far So Near (Eternal Wanderers)

Vertical horizon (Casual Silence)

Maison Cube (Emmanuelle Parrenin)

Location, Location (Ahleuchatistas)

Pink Lemonade (Acid Mother's Temple)

Horn (Pharaoh Overlord)

151-200

Alchemic Heart (Vampillia)

Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will (Mogwai)

Breathing (hAND)

Netto (Eletric Orange)

Bearing (Sistra)

Imperio De Cristal (Flor de Loto)

Girt Dog (Alta Via)

Feeding Monkeys at Ma Maison (Frank Zappa)

Aurora  (Nice Wings Icarus!)

User Hostile (A Lonely Crowd)

Survival and other Stories (Jon Anderson)

VII: Född Förlorare (Shining)

Memories in my Head (Riverside)

Hesperia (Mafdalena Solis)

Life's Road (Three Seasons)

Margaret's Children (Manning)

Subside (Collecting Space)

Going Off On Two (The Tangent)

One (Tesseract)

Benediktus Und Vobis Quoque, Catafalcus Est Tu (Catafalchi Del Cyber)

Efter Efter (Trettioariga Kriget)

Nothing Is Ordinary (Omnia Opera)

Psychedelic Judgeman Comes, He had The Cherry Blossom on the Shoulder (Psyche Bugyo)

Quartus Artifactus (From.uz)

Hanchebleya (Labirinto Di Specchi)

All Rights Removed (Airbag)

Serum of Life (Alkozaur)

Sex Offender (Polkadot Cadaver)

Todo.s Los Colores Del (Random)

Stundum (Papir)

Closer To Daylight (Soul Secret)

A Dying Man's Hymn (Sky Architect)

Idioten (Kebnekaise)

Chapters III & IV (Time Traveller)

Blasphemy and other Serious Crimes (Pitom)

The King of Number 22 (DeeExpus)

Flanders Fields (Humble Grumble)

Kleti Quatro (Gdeva)

Dropped Pianos (Tim Hecker)

Disclaimer (Frozen Geese)

Ghosts (Frequency Drift)

Chameleon (Magenta)

Cadenza (Dutch Uncles)

Dum Spiro Spero (Dir En Grey)

More is Never Enough (Transatlantic)

II (The Psychic Paramount)

Corner of the World (Solus3)

Saivo (Tenhi)

The City Sleeps (Touchstone)

At the Gates of Paradise (John Zorn)

201-249

In the Present (Yes)

Chicago Odense Ensemble

Orange (Dark Suns)

Carnegie Hall (Frank Zappa)

Ascension (Jesu)

Moments from Ephemeral City (Caligula's Horse)

The Southern Cross (Colin Masson)

The Destroyers of All (Ulcerate)

Mammal (Altar of Plagues)

1200 Times (Laura)

Eldberg

The Nightmare Becomes Reality (Anima Morte)

Poursuite De L'excellence (Vialka)

Ravedeath, 1972 (Tim Hecker)

Agony (Fleshgod Apocalypse)

Stars Aligned (Van Hertzen Brothers)

Babycum (Caterpillarmen)

Moscow (Keith Emerson)

New Blood (Peter Gabriel)

The Collective (Scale the Summit)

Void

Omnivium

Voice (Hiromi)

The Lotus Effect (Sun Caged)

Masquerade (Goad)

Void (The ReZen)

Transformation (Azacello)

Artistic Differences (Slaves to Fashion)

Cor Cordium (Glass Hammer)

Cuentos y Fábulas (Luz de Riada)

Phantasmachronica (Chryst)

Open (Jon Anderson)

Diotima (Krallice)

CCLR

Rengeteg (Thy Catafalque)

Teufelskamin (Kammerflimmer Kollektief)

In a Shrinking Forest (Earth Sized Diamonds)

Planet Girth (Peanut Brittle Satellite)

Scurrilous (Protest the Hero)

Doctrine (Pestilence)

All Gods Are Gone (Appearance of Nothing)

Anubis Gate

Live at Nassau Coliseum '78 (Emerson Lake and Palmer)

Flashback (Jaime Rosas)

Asylum (Morne)

Layers of Stratosphere (Raven Sad)

01 (Scherzoo)

Evinta (My Dying Bride)

Mars Red Sky

Edited by Andy Webb - September 13 2012 at 16:01
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 05:26
Stunning, shocking top 10 this is!
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 05:31
Originally posted by Ricochet Ricochet wrote:

Stunning, shocking top 10 this is!

I kno rite Cool
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 05:39
Good job, Andy!
Bigger on the inside.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 06:28
Lots of music I don't know and likely won't get to know.  But that's kind of the point, highly rated stuff that you don't know is usually worth checking out when you have a thirsty ear.

Four of my top 10 made it to the composite top ten.  Glad to see Herd Of Instinct made it to the top 100-150 and Primus came in with the same number of votes.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 06:29
Well done Andy! This is a huge task you've took upon yourself, and done a brilliant job at it. On behalf of us all: thank you! Clap

I guess one could see this top coming. Like Hugues says, I find this year to be... definitely not a "vintage" year. My #1 is at #100 this year, after it was in the top 10 last year. Tongue I do have one nomination in the final top 10, my #10 is at #8.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 06:41
Clap... Good work, Andy!

I see two albums from my list in the top 10 (on #4 and #9), two others from the top 10 (#3 and #6) are in my 'honorable mentions'-queue.

Four albums appeared only on my list.

Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 07:18

Top 10 are the 'mainstream' albums for this year, quite a difference with the Avant presence of last year.

Leprous at #10, My Borther The Wind at #22 and Opeth at #2 are nice surprises, I thought Discipline would take #2.

Starhammer View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 08:06
War and Peace and Other Stories is currently flying high at #2 in the overall PA list, but down at #39 here.

Edited by Starhammer - February 21 2012 at 08:07
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 08:11
Oh well we knew it would work out this way.

Great year for prog.
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
The Neck Romancer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 08:33
Seriously? That's the top 10? I am disappointed.
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 09:05
O.o
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 09:09
I didn't expect Opeth to be at #2. I love the album, but it seemed to divide fans up. Nice to see Dream Theater in the top 10. A lot of good albums in the top 20 overall. 2011 was a great year.
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 09:30
Jeez, Kate Bush manage to chart at #6? W-O-W.
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 09:36
That's the worst list I've seen in the time I've been here. 
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 09:42

Andy, though several of us are disappointed, after a quick glance, this looks pretty much exactly what I expected the number crunching would turn out. Thanks for all the hard work.

You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 09:51
Originally posted by Negoba Negoba wrote:

Andy, though several of us are disappointed, after a quick glance, this looks pretty much exactly what I expected the number crunching would turn out. Thanks for all the hard work.

Indeed, people are complaining about the content of the list, not the process that led to it's inception.
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 09:53
Originally posted by Negoba Negoba wrote:

I would hope so. WinkLOL I think one of the problems was that because so many albums were nominated, a lot of the votes for other albums were dispersed compared to the "popular" albums that everyone knew. If you look at the votes there's a huge jump from say GfD's 290 votes at #1 versus Bilateral's 132 votes at #10. That also led to huge swaths of albums having the same number of votes and many albums had only one voter. I guess this could be looked at as a good thing, but it does lead to boring results.
The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 09:59
Unsurprisingly, nothing I voted for made it into the top 25, let alone the top 10. Still, William D. Drake and NSRO both made it into the top 30, which is better than nothing, I guess.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>