FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedEcholyn release finally coming

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2012 at 14:47
and here's Tom Hyatt holding the vinyl:

" Fashions and fads a fictitious flirtation the foremost foundation to fit in" - echolyn (As The World)

My Facebook page please LIKE and share! https://www.facebook.com/echolynfan?ref=hl

infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2012 at 22:13
Originally posted by echolynfan echolynfan wrote:

Originally posted by jonnyfrostbite jonnyfrostbite wrote:

Preordered my vinyl the day after preorders opened... Been waiting 6 years for this! Does anyone know what the cover artwork looks like? I saw this dark window-like design on the preorder page, does that have something to do with it?

Yep :)

That's my order.  Where is everyone else's?

--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2012 at 11:00
I know how I'm going to be spending the next seventy-one minutes of my life.  Cool
echolynfan View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2012 at 16:02
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

I know how I'm going to be spending the next seventy-one minutes of my life.  Cool

Hehe....only 71 mins? Mine has been on repeat since Monday lol
" Fashions and fads a fictitious flirtation the foremost foundation to fit in" - echolyn (As The World)

My Facebook page please LIKE and share! https://www.facebook.com/echolynfan?ref=hl

Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2012 at 16:08

I don't repeat listen to anything.  One listen no matter what.  Then I come back to it another day.
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2012 at 23:39

I don't repeat listen to anything.  One listen no matter what.  Then I come back to it another day.

LOL, you're a prog nazi, Rob.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2012 at 23:45
Here's a video I recorded of Chris and Brett working on portions of the keys for "Locust To Bethlehem" and "Lampblack". I uploaded a portion of this to youtube last year and have included the other part making it around 20 min.

It's nice to watch it now having listened to the album - hope you enjoy it as much as I have!

infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2012 at 10:46
Mine arrived yesterday, but I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet.  Can't wait!  It will get plenty of listens on my trip to Bethlehem, PA at the end of next week though..........where I'll also likely be able to give my regards to Brett and a couple other of the Echolyn boys (they usually are part of the Nearfest crew, so I assume they will be for this final one).
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2012 at 12:17
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Mine arrived yesterday, but I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet.  Can't wait!  It will get plenty of listens on my trip to Bethlehem, PA at the end of next week though..........where I'll also likely be able to give my regards to Brett and a couple other of the Echolyn boys (they usually are part of the Nearfest crew, so I assume they will be for this final one).

They sure will and will be signing and selling cds at their table!

infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2012 at 12:42

Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

They sure will and will be signing and selling cds at their table!

Excellent!  I consider them my "local" band, even though I'm about 3 hours from their home base.  They already signed my CD, but it will be nice to say hello again.
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2012 at 20:43
Playing now for the first time.  (Guess it takes a day longer to get to Colorado from PA than it does to get wherever you guys are!)  So far so great!!!
Pretty amazing, really.  Smile
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2012 at 07:31
Listened to it yesterday after work.  Sounds great after just one play, especially the opening track.  Can't wait to give this more spins, as it already sounds like one of their best, if not THE best Big smile
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2012 at 16:36
My official review of the new album:

echolyn's latest self-titled release (not to be confused with their debut album of the same title) is a culmination of over 20 years of producing beautifully complex crafted music and is their finest album to date.

Blending together the older Pre-Cowboy Poems style with the later more mature and layered approach to songcrafting - echolyn have created a gorgeous new (yet familiar) sound brimming with soaring vocals, beautiful melodies, creative and touching lyrics. Wrap all of this musical goodness in an exquisitely mixed and mastered soundstage and you have echolyn's crowning achievement which I have nicknamed "The Window Album".

Track 1 - "Island": echolyn's magnum opus on the album and has everything you've come to expect from echolyn: Stunning guitars...beautifully crushing keys....killer bass lines and some tasty drumming. At 16:34 it's also the longest track on the album and kicks off the album with dynamic energy which will leave you begging for more at the end.

Track 2 - "Headright" will take you by surprise as it's the exact opposite from the opening track. It's a short 2:58 upbeat tune that will instantly make you start tapping your feet or perhaps drive a little faster if you're listening on the road.

Track 3 - "Locust To Bethlehem": One thing Ray Weston has always done with his songwriting is to bring the listener into his world in a very personal way. This track starts off with a nice little slide guitar from Brett and continues with a soulful sounding Ray taking us on a journey through his old haunt of Ambler, Pennsylvania. Beautiful strings kick in around the 2 minute mark to accent the mood and his reflective vocals perfectly and the chorus at the end is just gorgeous.

Track 4 - "Some Memorial" returns to the epic echolyn sound we heard in the 1st track and again Ray's vocals are powerful here as are the harmonies. Some stunning guitar work by Brett and some tasty keys from Chris round out this amazing track. Paul's drumming and Tom's bass drive the energy and the song crescendos with the best (IMO) harmonies from the band ever and some just crushing guitars.

Track 5 - "Past Gravity" is a beautiful song and sounds more like one of Brett's solo efforts with echolyn as supporting band and takes the listener down a musical river...drifing along to an emotional ending. Brett's vocals are smooth and are always a great compliment to Ray's style. echolyn unlike many bands have two gifted lead singers and they use it to great effect.

Track 6 - "When Sunday Spills" is another very personal song from Ray and tells the story of an abusive husband and his wife the victim of his abuse. The opening and ending audio of the couple screaming is simply disturbing but very important as it sets the mood for the song perfectly. More hauntingly beautful harmonies....jazzy keys...sweet slide guitar and pulsing drums/bass ending with a powerful guitar solo. One more thing that makes this such a personal track: The voices you hear of the couple were recorded by Ray - of his neighbors.

Track 7 - "Lampblack": As hard as it for to pick out one track as "the best" from this album - Lampblack would be it. Starting out with vocal effects ala Porcupine Tree and piano - this song features Brett's lead vocals and is quite simply the most beautful song they've ever written. Brett's wife Jacque provides some nice background vocals on this track as well as contributing to the art design of the album. The last 3 1/2 minutes absolutely blew me away and were so emotionally powerful it gave me goosebumps and brought me to tears. Yes...it's that good.

Track 8 - "The Cardinal and I" is yet another personal song from Ray and reflects his feelings about his own life after watching a Cardinal repeatedly fly into his side view mirror of his car. When I asked Ray about this song he told me (paraphrasing) " After watching this bird beat his head into the mirror over and over it reminded me of how it feels for me to go to work sometimes" The song also reflects some of Ray's musical tastes which tend to be darker/sinister and Chris' keys are equally sinister. Great way to end the album!

Truly a masterpiece which will open up upon repeat listens - echolyn have given us a gift which will be cherished by fans and will draw many many more new fans to them with this very accessible release. Available as a 2 cd set and limited edition numbered 180 gram vinyl (500 copies)

Official release date is June 19th, 2012

Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2012 at 16:53

Track 8 - "The Cardinal and I" is yet another personal song from Ray and reflects his feelings about his own life after watching a Cardinal repeatedly fly into his side view mirror of his car. When I asked Ray about this song he told me (paraphrasing) " After watching this bird beat his head into the mirror over and over it reminded me of how it feels for me to go to work sometimes" The song also reflects some of Ray's musical tastes which tend to be darker/sinister and Chris' keys are equally sinister. Great way to end the album!

I had always assumed, based on the title, that this song was about Catholicism in some way.  I can also say that this song sounds nothing like what I imagined it would.

What line of work is Ray in, by the way?
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2012 at 18:23

I had always assumed, based on the title, that this song was about Catholicism in some way.  I can also say that this song sounds nothing like what I imagined it would.

Ray has been involved in a number of types of jobs ranging from Sanding and refinishing floors to his current job of Janitorial work - which is a coincidence to me since I own a Janitorial Supply Company. Paul does construction....Chris teaches music at Abington Friends School...Tom works at a medical reseach lab that does drug trials and Brett has his studio work.

Just a bunch of really cool "regular" guys that are fun to hang out with and have a beer or 12 :)

Edited by echolynfan - June 15 2012 at 18:24

Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2012 at 06:20

Ray has been involved in a number of types of jobs ranging from Sanding and refinishing floors to his current job of Janitorial work - which is a coincidence to me since I own a Janitorial Supply Company. Paul does construction....Chris teaches music at Abington Friends School...Tom works at a medical reseach lab that does drug trials and Brett has his studio work.

Just a bunch of really cool "regular" guys that are fun to hang out with and have a beer or 12 :)

I interviewed Brett some time ago on behalf of Prog Archives.  Those fellows strike me as the sort I'd like to hang out with and drink beer.  Smile
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2012 at 19:58

Now available at Bandcamp for download in cd quality:

http://echolyn.bandcamp.com/

Plus you get a free pdf download of the CD booklet.

Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2012 at 11:45
Love it!
clarkray View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2012 at 18:59
This must be the same Frank Swarbrick that used to frequent the old 60S_70S_PROGROCK Fidonet echo.  This is Clark Ray, you may remember me...heh, or not!

Anyway, good to read a familiar name from years ago.

Ah yes, the new echolyn album is really quite something.  It's got a whole bunch of complexities and is taking a long time to digest, as Mei also did with me.  I've spent most time with "Islands" and it's really something.  The band has always been good in compositions but this track shows a new maturity.  I'm really impressed and I know each time I listen to it I'll discover something new about it.

Clark Ray

clarkray View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2012 at 19:00
Hmm, looks like I screwed something up...my previous post was in response to Infocat...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>