FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew Trevor Rabin album "Jacaranda"released

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Trevor Rabin album "Jacaranda"released
    Posted: May 10 2012 at 10:23
Finally, his new instrumental piece, first solo album since 1989's Can't Look Away is out. Supposedly blend of rock - jazz - classical music, with Rabin performing all the instruments, except for drums, and having such guests as drummer Vinnie Colaiuta or bassist Tal Winkelfeld on it. Unfortunately no Yes fellow is involved... Check out http://www.trevorrabin.net/News.html

<a href="http://steveer.ic.cz" rel="nofollow"
RoyFairbank View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2012 at 08:12
Damn Its not on rhapsody yet.

I love Rabin's work. His early rock albums were quite shallow but showed talent and skill, Can't Look Away is very passable AOR with Prog aspects. His songwriting for Yes is legendary, and his guitar playing and voice are wonderful. It's too bad this is an instrumental album with jazz and classical influences. Would have preferred something along the lines of Can't Look Away. Well, I don't know till I hear it.

EDIT: ...oh, and check out Rabbitt, his original band. Their first two albums with Rabin are thrilling, the sop-hit Charlie notwithstanding.

Edited by RoyFairbank - May 17 2012 at 08:14
stewe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2012 at 17:30
I would also prefer something in Can't look Away style. Miss his voice. But Jacaranda is pure prog-fusion-classical-virtuoso bliss, definitely appeals to prog fans, Rabin fans and especially for his most orthodox haters.

The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2012 at 19:15
While Jacaranda is a decent album, it strikes me as more odds and ends from his soundtrack career as well as some plain guitar-based instrumental rock (something I've never been too much into).  But, I bought the album not expecting an all-instrumental album and was looking forward to a real follow-up to Can't Look Away (total AOR but I loved it).  So, needless to say I was a bit disappointed.
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
SouthSideoftheSky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2012 at 11:33

Maybe its time to revive the discussion about adding Rabin to Prog Related? 

See here:

stewe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2012 at 13:19
Originally posted by SouthSideoftheSky SouthSideoftheSky wrote:

Maybe its time to revive the discussion about adding Rabin to Prog Related? 

See here:

This dicussion was already few times, I would be up for his addition, but for some reason it is always dismissed (probably moderators are Rabin-haters:). I think it is quite a shame he's not included (at least as 'prog related'), considering what artists are actually presented here and they have nothing to do with progressive rock. 

I don't think that album 'Can't look Away' is pure AOR either - check it out, the title track is intense epic piece and in cuts like Sludge, Etoile Noir, I Miss You Now, The Cape... there is instrumental fusion, really odd parts, then ambient, almost soundtrack-like music.

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2012 at 22:44
Can't Look Away is a very decent album indeed.
progresssaurus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2012 at 02:32
Originally posted by RoyFairbank RoyFairbank wrote:

EDIT: ...oh, and check out Rabbitt, his original band.

Thank you for this notice. Their cover of Locomotive Breath is far from original, more dynamic, less proggy, but still interesting.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2012 at 03:42
Originally posted by stewe stewe wrote:

This dicussion was already few times

Yeah, I know, I started one of these debates here a few years back. But I don't think Rabin has ever been formally evaluated by the admin team for Prog Related (or by any other genre team, for that matter). 

In my experience, you have to be very persistent if you want anything to move beyond mere discussion. Yngwie Malmsteen was finally added about a year after my suggestion (and I was not the first to suggest him) and only after several reminders in the thread and in private messages.

I don't think that album 'Can't look Away' is pure AOR either - check it out, the title track is intense epic piece and in cuts like Sludge, Etoile Noir, I Miss You Now, The Cape... there is instrumental fusion, really odd parts, then ambient, almost soundtrack-like music.

Yeah, I like that album. If Rabin will be added, I will probably rate it with four stars.

stewe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2012 at 04:40
Originally posted by SouthSideoftheSky SouthSideoftheSky wrote:

Yeah, I know, I started one of these debates here a few years back. But I don't think Rabin has ever been formally evaluated by the admin team for Prog Related (or by any other genre team, for that matter). 

In my experience, you have to be very persistent if you want anything to move beyond mere discussion. Yngwie Malmsteen was finally added about a year after my suggestion (and I was not the first to suggest him) and only after several reminders in the thread and in private messages.

So it would probably be nice to remind some team (but which is the most suitable?)... I don't have any experience with suggesting artists here. 

I was listening to his Jacaranda again, being quite astonished, Rabin's guitar capability and versatility are enormous there. He puts on the shame greats from the whole spectrum, such as Metheny, Page, Beck, McLaughlin, Di Meola, Petrucci, Morse, Howe, Atkins.., while still showing his unique sound and technicality. Plus his keyboard wizardry (crazy organ rides, classical Wakemanesque-piano swirls) and production skills also really shine. 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2012 at 05:37

So it would probably be nice to remind some team (but which is the most suitable?)... I don't have any experience with suggesting artists here. 

I think that Prog Related is the most suitable place for Rabin. What we need to do then is to find a special collaborator who is willing to support the suggestion and to champion it for the admin team.

I was listening to his Jacaranda again, being quite astonished, Rabin's guitar capability and versatility are enormous there. He puts on the shame greats from the whole spectrum, such as Metheny, Page, Beck, McLaughlin, Di Meola, Petrucci, Morse, Howe, Atkins.., while still showing his unique sound and technicality. Plus his keyboard wizardry (crazy organ rides, classical Wakemanesque-piano swirls) and production skills also really shine. 

Sounds cool, I will definitely check this new album out.
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2012 at 13:56
Listened to Jacaranda on Progstreaming and found it pleasantly good and PA worthy (fusion along Metheny/Lyle Mays "As Wichita falls...").

Do not know his earlier stuff though.
 Post Reply Post Reply