Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnyone going/been to Roger Hodgson Tour?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone going/been to Roger Hodgson Tour?
    Posted: May 30 2012 at 13:40
Anyone gone to see Rogers new tour? He's playing all of Breakfast in America and some other Supertramp songs. I have zero interest in his solo stuff, so hope its mostly Supertramp. Anyway think I'm going to pick up a couple of Portland tix. Anyone else going?
Strawberry Fields View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2012 at 00:54
Hi, I hope you do decide to go to Roger Hodgson's concert.   Give yourself a gift and go!  I saw him in February for the kick off of his Breakfast in America tour and it was amazing!   Hands down the best concert I have ever been to and I've seen everyone.   Anyone who was or is a Supertramp fan needs to see Roger, co-founder of Supertramp, in concert.   That voice of his is flawless and sounds even better than on my Supertramp vinyls, if that's possible.   Read some of the comments on his Facebook page and you will see what I'm talking about - http://www.facebook.com/RogerHodgsonOfficial.   Not only does he perform his classics at his shows, but he also plays fan favorites from his solo albums, which I might add, have sold millions of copies.

Roger doesn't perform "Supertramp" songs.   He performs the songs he wrote and composed that he recorded with Supertramp.   He wrote many of his songs before he met Rick Davies and co-founded the band.   It is Roger who gave us Dreamer, Give a Little Bit, Take the Long Way Home, Breakfast in America, The Logical Song, It's Raining Again, School, Fool's Overture, Hide in Your Shell, and so many more.   In other words, the great majority of the band's greatest hits!    Something interesting that I recently learned was that  although Roger and Rick shared writing credit, they each actually wrote and composed separately with each singing their own respective songs.   

I can't wait until I can see Roger's show again.   I have heard from many people who say once you see Roger Hodgson in concert, you will immediately be planning for the next time.   Now I understand that statement.
ImagineAllTheColours View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2012 at 09:43
All you have to do is see Roger once & you will be forever changed... you'll find yourself dreaming of his next show & even the one after that! Very few artists have an unchanged voice after all these years, and I promise you Roger *never* disappoints. He is the genius behind the many hits of Supertramp and this is the Breakfast In America World Tour with a full band! The audience will soon become your friends, sharing in all of the joy and the beautiful, ethereal music. Just imagine him, with his twelve-string guitar... "Even in the quietest moments, I wish I knew..." From one heart to another, go see him. You will leave glowing from the inside, your soul uplifted & a guaranteed smile on your face. :) "You find your way," & "I'll meet you when you're there!" Smile
heartsong62 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2012 at 10:59
I cannot recommend enough going to experience a Roger Hodgson concert.  I ask you to ponder for a moment that you "have no interested in his solo stuff".... but that Rogers is the main driving force of Supertramp offering all but three of the group's biggest hits.  So.......his solo stuff is just an extension of the music you already love.  

To experience one of his concerts will confirm this, for he offers himself to the sea of faces before him and presents musically a sound and visual show that can literally take you off your feet or put you on them depending on how you respond to his performances.  

I could not be happier to hear you have tickets and ask, would you please let us know your experiences after his show?

Also, I want to thank you for continuing to bring "Supertramp" to this blog and the front of peoples minds.  

For Rogers concerts offerings for his 2012 "Breakfast in America" world tour please go to: http://www.rogerhodgson.com/documents/tour.html

Raccoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2012 at 00:02
Originally posted by Los_Endos Los_Endos wrote:

Anyone gone to see Rogers new tour? He's playing all of Breakfast in America and some other Supertramp songs. I have zero interest in his solo stuff, so hope its mostly Supertramp. Anyway think I'm going to pick up a couple of Portland tix. Anyone else going?

I love Supertramp, don't care too much for his solo stuff, but either way it'll be amazing to see a founding member of Supertramp. Going to see him tomorrow.

Edited by Raccoon - August 10 2012 at 00:03
brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2012 at 00:08
I liked "in the eye of the storm" and "hai hai" much, much more
than I liked anything by Supertramp.

--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

Raccoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2012 at 01:14
I never really heard his solo material, only some of Hai Hai so I should listen to some of the In The Eye Of The Storm album. I shouldn't judge before fully listening to it. 
Formentera Lady View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2012 at 03:10
I won't recommend Hai Hai. I'd recommend to listen to In The Eye of the Storm and Open the Door. Open the Door I would call "the best Supertramp album that is not from Supertramp..." Wink
But as this thread is about the tour: I was there and I liked it. He does not play much of his solo stuff, though.
Bj-1 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2012 at 06:26
I've seen Roger three times now; two times in 2007 (as a duo) and one time last summer (full band) and would love to attend the Breakfast tour, but he's not coming to Norway this time around.. Anyways, the concerts were absolutely great and the setlist were mainly Supertramp songs, with a few solo exceptions. I'd recommend any Tramp fan to see him, you'll not regret it.
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!
Raccoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2012 at 23:59
Completely agree with Bj-1. If you remotely like or love Supertramp, it's a must see. Most of the songs were Supertramp with a few exceptions. Since I have nearly every Tramp album, before the concert started I bought In The Eye Of The Storm, since I knew I'd want to buy it by the time the concert's done.

I was glad to hear he didn't play mainly Breakfast, but all of their albums. Including... CRIME OF THE CENTURY. So there was a great mixture there. Surprised he didn't play his hit from In The Eye (Had A Dream) and also didn't play the song Even In The Quietest Moments, but you can't get every song..

Overall, his voice is still the same as it was. Only difference is he can't keep the duration of some of the notes, but that's such a small complaint that it doesn't seem relevant. He ended the show (besides the encore, as you can guess, Give A Little Bit) with Fool's Overture. Stunningly great, my favorite from Supertramp song. Almost reminiscent of Genesis in a way. (Genesis is the #1 band I'd like to see in concert)

Hope I didn't spoil anything, but only to reassure fans of Supertramp to see if Roger Hodgson is playing in your city. Worth the money by far.
tonewheel1966 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2012 at 15:02
I hope he's comning back to the UK. We saw him at the Albert Hall in London in 2007 on his solo tour. His voice and piano made you forget that he had no backing band - real talented guy. I love Supertramp too, one of my Hammond B3 inspirations.

Best

Dave
 Post Reply Post Reply