Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 17>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 09:50
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Originally posted by Textbook Textbook wrote:

Horizons: Really? I don't think I've ever seen people argue over his lyrics, not passionately at least.

SD: Good pick except I think there is a bit of a consensus that he's a bit naff. "How could he lose six million jews etc" must just be about the most derided prog lyric ever.

Yeah, that line in 'The only way' (is that what it's called?) is awful. I could feel my toes curl the first time I heard it. Lakes vocal is really bad on that song too, which doesn't help.

I disagree on both counts. I love the line and his vocals a  superb.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 11:06
I would pick Ian Anderson, especially in the early years, with his views on religion and British society. in the later years he change a little, not his way of thinking, but the way he expresses his opinions.
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 11:12
Originally posted by HarbouringTheSoul HarbouringTheSoul wrote:

Those are some good points, but I think the problem isn't so much that he's being "self-consciously intelligent", but rather that his lyrics try to be intelligent but really aren't. The best explanation I've seen of what's wrong with Peart's lyrics is by John McFerrin:

Originally posted by John McFerrin John McFerrin wrote:

A lot of rock lyricists choose to write about "shallow" things in a dumb way; a lot of great lyricists write about "shallow" things in an intelligent way; a select few have the ability to write about "deep" things in an intelligent way. Simply put, Neil Peart routinely committed the cardinal sin of writing about "deep" things in some of the dumbest ways imaginable. [...] a lot of his lyrics read as Western Philosophy and the Human Condition for Dummies [...] Too often, even in a lot of songs where I like his lyrics, I feel like I'm listening to the poetry of a high school Freshman who just bought The Dictionary of Cultural Literacy and a thesaurus [...]

I see how you could say this about Peart's early lyrics, but I can't understand how this would describe the majority of his work from the 80's and on.  I can name a few songs that I feel this way about (Freewill and Bravest Face to name a couple) but I think that, by and large, most of his post-70's lyrics are quite insightful, such as Limelight, Distant Early Warning, Open Secrets, Cold Fire, War Paint, Scars (especially Scars), Halo Effect, How it Is...
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
CordofLifeA11 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 11:23
Peter Hammill. I understand from a philosophical perspective, that a lyricist can only write 'poetry' from his own experience, but I swear this is all that Peter does! He talks all the time, and never about in anything in particular. In this respect, I have to say he's so unrelatable in what he says, other than by intangible emotions, and such.
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 11:28
Pretty obvious Peart would be one of the most discussed subjects of this thread (Anderson too, to an extent), but I do find some of Peart's lyrics can work outside a musical context - not sure I'd call them poetry as such, but...

A few examples (for me at least):

The Camera Eye
Spirit Of Radio
A Farewell To Kings
La Villa Strangiato
Subdivisions

Just a few out of a 38 year canon, but these are the first ones which briefly spring to mind

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 11:35
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

La Villa Strangiato

And what lyrics did he write for that?  Wink
Anthony H. View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 11:45
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Steven Wilson.

I loathe Wilson's lyrics. I like him as a musician and vocalist, but his lyrics are so overly-dramatic and literal. It works sometimes ("Time Flies",  "Trains", "Prodigal"). But for the most part, it's awful:

This is a hate song just meant for you
I thought that I'd write it down while I still could
I hope when you hear this you'll want to sue

- "Hatesong"

I'm the one you always seem to read about
The fire inside my eyes has long gone out
There's nothing left for me to say or do
'Cause all that matters disappeared when I lost you...

- "Postcard"

For the most part, though, bad lyrics don't bother me very much. For me, lyrics can only add to music, not detract from it. Unless the music is lyrically-driven, which almost no prog is.

HarbouringTheSoul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 11:57
Originally posted by Ambient Hurricanes Ambient Hurricanes wrote:

Those are some good points, but I think the problem isn't so much that he's being "self-consciously intelligent", but rather that his lyrics try to be intelligent but really aren't. The best explanation I've seen of what's wrong with Peart's lyrics is by John McFerrin:

Originally posted by John McFerrin John McFerrin wrote:

A lot of rock lyricists choose to write about "shallow" things in a dumb way; a lot of great lyricists write about "shallow" things in an intelligent way; a select few have the ability to write about "deep" things in an intelligent way. Simply put, Neil Peart routinely committed the cardinal sin of writing about "deep" things in some of the dumbest ways imaginable. [...] a lot of his lyrics read as Western Philosophy and the Human Condition for Dummies [...] Too often, even in a lot of songs where I like his lyrics, I feel like I'm listening to the poetry of a high school Freshman who just bought The Dictionary of Cultural Literacy and a thesaurus [...]

I see how you could say this about Peart's early lyrics, but I can't understand how this would describe the majority of his work from the 80's and on.  I can name a few songs that I feel this way about (Freewill and Bravest Face to name a couple) but I think that, by and large, most of his post-70's lyrics are quite insightful, such as Limelight, Distant Early Warning, Open Secrets, Cold Fire, War Paint, Scars (especially Scars), Halo Effect, How it Is...

Actually, I absolutely agree with you. My problems are almost exclusively with his 70s output. His lyrics from the 80s onward don't always make for the greatest poetry, but for the most part he stopped writing about topics that make him look like a fool.
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 11:59

Originally posted by kevin4peace kevin4peace wrote:

There are some classic songs and King Crimson is one of my favourite bands, but theres no denying that Sinfield could go a bit over board sometimes.

Haha yes, "stake a lizard by the throat" and such. LOL

+1 on Sinfield. Some sexist implications and open statements bug me on some really good tracks: 

"All you know of the girls of the road,
Oh, like apples we stole in our youth."

"I smiled and just unzipped her". Pinch

... Sax man

Edited by Dayvenkirq - June 18 2012 at 12:00
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 12:12
^All good to me.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 12:24
Difficult one, really.

Jon Anderson's lyrics were never meant to be taken literally. They were poetic pieces which quite often were written to fit the music, as Squire has mentioned more than once.

I always liked Ian Anderson's lyrics, because of his sharp wit and sense of self parody.

I liked Peart's lyrics in the 1970's, but I can understand why people might think of them being a little bit "of their time" all these years later.

My nomination would be a prog related one. Ian Gillan. Whilst I love Deep Purple, and have done since about 1974/75, some of those lyrics really do sound ridiculous these days. As examples Strange Kind of Women, My Woman From Tokyo, & etc. Fine songs, but misogynistic in the extreme.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 13:32
Originally posted by CordofLifeA11 CordofLifeA11 wrote:

Peter Hammill. I understand from a philosophical perspective, that a lyricist can only write 'poetry' from his own experience, but I swear this is all that Peter does! He talks all the time, and never about in anything in particular. In this respect, I have to say he's so unrelatable in what he says, other than by intangible emotions, and such.
Thanks ... I am not sure that you/we/I can compare Peter's vocals to almost all of these mentioned here, which are ... for all intents and purposes, just pop music! There are very few examples in these mentioned in this whole post that deserve the mention as "literature" or "poetry" ... and treated as such. They are just "lyrics" ... and rock music "lyrics" at that, which means that are even less meaningful! In general, quoting Ayn Rand, is no different than JP Sartre, of Novalis, or Schopenhauer or Bertrand Russell!

But we think that Peart is great because he quotes her!

Woooppppeeeeedooooooo!

Lots of folks have even quoted Chairman Mao! How about Hitler? ...

But if we're serious about lyrics, probably the best, and the one that so many people can not relate to ... and sometimes hate, is probably the best poet and rock lyricist of all time ... Jim Morrison! ... love him or hate him, but to this day ... you will never know about ... whip the horse's eye ... or you can not petition the Lord with prayer ... or when the music is over ... if you don't know what poetry is all about and how it hits you ... you will always think that words are important ... and in the end, it's not the words themselves ... it's the depth of the feeling behind it that curldles your blood and wits to smithreens!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
AlexDOM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 14:15
Daniel Gildenlow
questionsneverknown View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 16:10
Another way to approach the problem with Neil Peart's lyrics is to think about one of the basic "rules" that pop up in creative writing classes: show don't tell (or, as Henry James put it, "Dramatize! Dramatize!").  I don't think the issue is with the content of the lyrics, but with how he expresses the ideas.  Rather than create a dramatic situation in which ideas are brought to life, in the clunkiest moments the lines are presented all too literally, reading like cod philosophy notes.  ("Free Will" is the ultimate example of this; I have a friend who is a professor of philosophy who just cringes and cringes at the thought of those lyrics.)  But he has been far less guilty of this kind of thing on the two most recent albums.

At the end of the day, I know though that hearing Neil's words the first time when I was in high school was revelatory.  If most of what you had heard before were the words found in radio ballads or AC/DC, then these lyrics were really something special.  Still, it is still pretty hard to forgive "Trees" (even if I do still sing along).    
The damage that we do is just so powerfully strong we call it love

The damage that we do just goes on and on and on but not long enough.

--Robyn Hitchcock
Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 17:16
Another one is Frank Zappa. Some people love his lyrics, others think they're what stopped him from being more successful than he was.

Surprised to see Ian Anderson coming up here, I thought he was quite respected as a lyricist.

Peart does write about smart things in a dumb way but in a way I think that's what makes him stand out. Because it's "dumb" (or rather, straightfoward) it's pretty easy to get his message and be exposed to the concept he has in mind. If he started masking his intent behind purple prose and extended metaphors or removed it three times from the literal like Cedric Zavala does, it might be very interesting and mysterious, but we would no longer be able to be sure what he was talking about.

Straightforward isn't always bad in lyrics. I think some of the appeal of songs like Free Will and Witch Hunt is that Peart just comes right up and says it without airy-fairy window dressing.

(And also, look at what happens when Peart tries an extended metaphor- Trees anyone?)

Edited by Textbook - June 18 2012 at 17:16
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 17:24
man I love The Trees.
questionsneverknown View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 17:35
Originally posted by Textbook Textbook wrote:

Straightforward isn't always bad in lyrics. I think some of the appeal of songs like Free Will and Witch Hunt is that Peart just comes right up and says it without airy-fairy window dressing.

I agree--being straightforward isn't a bad thing in lyrics--and there are countless examples of songs ruined by overwrought attempts at something vaguely approximating poetry.

Still, there are ways that a lyricist can go beyond the literal without being "airy fairy."  McCartney's "Eleanor Rigby" is a good example, to me.  We understand very clearly that the song is about loneliness, but the song is strong because we have situations and characters that bring that abstract concept to life--the waiting by the window and the darning of socks in the night.  The problem with something like "Free Will" (and I actually do like the song) is that the words really do feel like they have been pulled from an intro to philosophy manual.  Just abstract thoughts without a concrete situation.

To put it bluntly, though: lyrics are f**king hard to do well.  Good poetry that reads well on its own can sound godawful when sung, and great lyrics that work perfectly in a song--blended with instruments--can read like childish scribblings on their own.    

The damage that we do is just so powerfully strong we call it love

The damage that we do just goes on and on and on but not long enough.

--Robyn Hitchcock
CordofLifeA11 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 19:00
In my opinion, that is exactly what makes Jon Anderson such a fantastic lyricist (oh, and that voice). His ideas are somewhat window-dressed in abstract language but it paints such colourful pictures, doesn't it? He's not always talking about nothing in particular, i.e. "A seasoned witch could call you from the depths of your disgrace and re-arrange your liver to the solid mental place" I find it all very thought-evoking and brilliant.
Zombywoof View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 21:14
I love the lyrics of Ian Anderson, Neil Peart, Pete Sinfeld, Peter Hammill, and Roger Waters. Who's to say what are good lyrics and which are bad?

I guess, for me, its about which one's reach me and which one's don't. The artists above reach me, but Jon Anderson's voice and lyrics do nothing for me, so I suppose that, for me personally, Jon Anderson writes bad lyrics.

Edited by Zombywoof - June 18 2012 at 21:23
Continue the prog discussion here: http://zombyprog.proboards.com/index.cgi ...
Zombywoof View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 21:35
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Originally posted by kevin4peace kevin4peace wrote:

<span ="apple-style-span"="" style="font-family: Arial; line-height: normal; font-size: 13px; "></span><span ="apple-style-span"="" style="font-family: Arial; line-height: normal; font-size: 13px; ">There are some classic songs and King Crimson is one of my favourite bands, but theres no denying that Sinfield could go a bit over board sometimes.</span>
Haha yes, "stake a lizard by the throat" and such. LOL

+1 on Sinfield. Some sexist implications and open statements bug me on some really good tracks: 
"All you know of the girls of the road,
Oh, like apples we stole in our youth."
"I smiled and just unzipped her". Pinch
 ... Sax man

What are you talking about?! I love those lines!! I guess its the Zappa freak in me.
Continue the prog discussion here: http://zombyprog.proboards.com/index.cgi ...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 17>