Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAm I reading this correctly?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 19>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2012 at 20:03
Originally posted by Alitare Alitare wrote:

Hey, I hate ELP as much as any rational a****le, but I happen to dislike about 84% of the top 100 list at any given point in time. Complaining about one is as practical as complaining about another. That being said - feel free to make your own list. If you're still upset over it, Progarchives offers a host of respectable solutions.

PA survival guide:
Welcome, and thank you for choosing Progressive Rock Archives. The wonderful realm of the Progressive Rock Archives (shortened: ProgArchives (shortened PA (shorted: Puh))) welcomes you Back to the World of Adventure! We have exciting games and entertainment venues. You can truly find out Wot...uh, the deal is. We are a fully interactive web-based community devoted to:
-Spreading disgusting political misinformation
-Pretending that Dream Theater is worth a damn
-collecting every pretentious rock group known to man in one stupendous database which is currently updated and maintained by David Lynch, Thing-Fish, and three blind mice.
-Vainly attempting to define what 'prog' means - with hilarious results! (I think it is a secret code-word invented by the Gestapo to track down runaway Jews in 1943)

Here are some of our healthy guidelines - follow these and you'll be an up-and-coming Light-house Keeper like the rest of us.
Progarchives fully supports blatant dishonesty - one-star those pretentious bands into oblivion! If you actually haven't heard the album - even better, just like Christgau. You get bonus points for writing a review for an album that hasn't been officially released yet.

If your blind virulence has yet to achieve the desired results, Progarchives recommends creating several false duplicate accounts to further besmirch their waning reputations. Make sure you name your second, third, or fifteenth accounts sharply and wittily for our site-wide annual 'spot that duplicate!' contest. Winners will receive a copy of Epignosis' new album and a secret link to illegal torrent sites.

We here appreciate diversity. Try inventing personality quirks to spice up the environment. Some like to make bold claims such as "All music created after 1989 is utter garbage no matter what". Others like to claim that a specific band/artist is terrible, even if they secretly enjoy that group. These characters are lucky, Lucky Men and are beloved site-round. Try developing a catch phrase such as 'Rush sucks!' '3.5 stars really!' or 'Neon Meate Dream of a Octafish'.

In our popular forums section, you may:
-Vote in meaningless polls
-write amateur theses regarding said meaningless polls
-shout "Rush rules!"
-poke fun at Metal Music Archives
-Engage in vehemently cruel debates over Religion, Politics, Music and My Little Pony. No Swearing!

So I personally welcome you to the Promised Land, where all your Geoff Tates are bitter and all your dreams will come true - unless you get banned.

Well said---I hate Christgau too. Now I suggest you move to Williamsburg Brooklyn-- there's a hipster colony there and you could find your happiness---. 
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2012 at 20:07
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

Originally posted by altaeria altaeria wrote:

Is this like one of those goofy Rolling Stone Magazine lists?

Yes, except more math and less snark.

What do you mean when you say "snark" ?

Snark is what Altair posted about two hours ago in this topic. The only difference is that - at least with that post - he actually makes an attempt to be funny, and while I don't necessarily agree with him, I get a good chuckle and go back to what I was doing.

Rolling Stone, on the other hand, puts about as much effort in their humor as the writers of Family Guy from Season 7 onward.
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2012 at 20:09
Sorry, I don't watch Family Guy, but I think I get your point.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2012 at 20:41
Family Guy is always funny k.

Edited by Horizons - October 02 2012 at 20:43
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2012 at 21:44
Originally posted by Alitare Alitare wrote:

Hey, I hate ELP as much as any rational a****le, but I happen to dislike about 84% of the top 100 list at any given point in time. Complaining about one is as practical as complaining about another. That being said - feel free to make your own list. If you're still upset over it, Progarchives offers a host of respectable solutions.

PA survival guide:
Welcome, and thank you for choosing Progressive Rock Archives. The wonderful realm of the Progressive Rock Archives (shortened: ProgArchives (shortened PA (shorted: Puh))) welcomes you Back to the World of Adventure! We have exciting games and entertainment venues. You can truly find out Wot...uh, the deal is. We are a fully interactive web-based community devoted to:
-Spreading disgusting political misinformation
-Pretending that Dream Theater is worth a damn
-collecting every pretentious rock group known to man in one stupendous database which is currently updated and maintained by David Lynch, Thing-Fish, and three blind mice.
-Vainly attempting to define what 'prog' means - with hilarious results! (I think it is a secret code-word invented by the Gestapo to track down runaway Jews in 1943)

Here are some of our healthy guidelines - follow these and you'll be an up-and-coming Light-house Keeper like the rest of us.
Progarchives fully supports blatant dishonesty - one-star those pretentious bands into oblivion! If you actually haven't heard the album - even better, just like Christgau. You get bonus points for writing a review for an album that hasn't been officially released yet.

If your blind virulence has yet to achieve the desired results, Progarchives recommends creating several false duplicate accounts to further besmirch their waning reputations. Make sure you name your second, third, or fifteenth accounts sharply and wittily for our site-wide annual 'spot that duplicate!' contest. Winners will receive a copy of Epignosis' new album and a secret link to illegal torrent sites.

We here appreciate diversity. Try inventing personality quirks to spice up the environment. Some like to make bold claims such as "All music created after 1989 is utter garbage no matter what". Others like to claim that a specific band/artist is terrible, even if they secretly enjoy that group. These characters are lucky, Lucky Men and are beloved site-round. Try developing a catch phrase such as 'Rush sucks!' '3.5 stars really!' or 'Neon Meate Dream of a Octafish'.

In our popular forums section, you may:
-Vote in meaningless polls
-write amateur theses regarding said meaningless polls
-shout "Rush rules!"
-poke fun at Metal Music Archives
-Engage in vehemently cruel debates over Religion, Politics, Music and My Little Pony. No Swearing!

So I personally welcome you to the Promised Land, where all your Geoff Tates are bitter and all your dreams will come true - unless you get banned.

LOL, knowing that I'm personally guilty of some of these things...
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2012 at 23:35
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Family Guy is always funny k.

I agree. I don't get why "Family Guy purists" think they went seriously downhill after the first few seasons, I mean what big difference actually occurred between seasons 3 and 5? The worst you get now is a fairly mediocre episode once in a while, and that has only been happening since around, I'd say, season 8. 

Oh, also, vegemite is tasty, and I've never been impressed by ELP.  
Gallifrey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2012 at 23:38
I like the recent Family Guy stuff, even if they only have two good characters left.
http://thedarkthird.bandcamp.com/
Gallifrey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2012 at 23:41
Originally posted by KingCrInuYasha KingCrInuYasha wrote:

Rolling Stone, on the other hand, puts about as much effort in their humor as the writers of Family Guy from Season 7 onward.

I like how this comment is done in the style of a "family guy joke", yet is dissing it at the same time. Very clever.
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2012 at 23:59
Originally posted by Gallifrey Gallifrey wrote:

Originally posted by KingCrInuYasha KingCrInuYasha wrote:

I like how this comment is done in the style of a "family guy joke", yet is dissing it at the same time. Very clever.

Hah! I didn't pick up on that, I should have.  

Edited by irrelevant - October 03 2012 at 00:00
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 00:20

Am I reading this correctly?  

Yes I guess so.

According to the ProgArchives "TOP PROG ALBUMS" (of all-time)  list,
ANGLAGARD has TWO (!!)  albums ranked in the top 13 ...

yet  ELP barely squeezed one album in at  # 75  ??

- 86% of 827 Collaborators, members and guests have given 4 or 5 stars ratings to Hybris (59% have voted 5 stars)
- 84% out of 271 Collaborators, members and guests have rated Viljans Öga with 4 or 5 stars (62% with 5 stars)...I haven't voted yet, but will rate it with 4 stars.

- 86% of 941 Collaborators, members and guests have given 4 or 5 stars ratings to Hybris (Only 47% have voted 5 stars)

Vox Populi, Vox Dei

Originally posted by Altaeria Altaeria wrote:

The difference is that here any Prog fan in the world can REVIEW and  rate, in Rolling Stones, their staff has the last word (Their voting system is not transparent, because they're staff guide people with their reviews  and people don't review, only vote)

Oh-- and has anybody told BIG BIG TRAIN that they 
apparently recorded the #20 greatest Prog album of all-time ???

Not necessarily the 20th best Prog album of all times, but the 20th best voted album in Prog Archives 

I'm sure the band and their 167 fans worldwide will be totally psyched !!! 

If your intelligent deduction is right....Then ELP has only 941 fans? 

I believe Trilogy and BSS should be higher, but I'm part of an almost extinct race of old farts who prefer classic Prog, and part of the minority.

Get used to this.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - October 03 2012 at 00:22

Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 00:34
1) Alitare's rant was brilliant snark.  Clap

2) I like Family Guy but have only watched it online.

3) Prog Archives' Top 100 is not the same as my Top 100, but there is very little on it that I would declaim vociferously in expectation that everyone should agree with me.  I have been around the block a few times and I know that not everyone agrees with me.  I am fine with that.  Different strokes for different folks and all that.  And yet I too am surprised by how low ELP rates in general on this site, but I only find that a curiosity and not an offence to my jaded and extraordinary tastes.

4) I am not familiar with Marmite, never heard of it until this thread, but in the U.S. we have marmots which are not even the same sort of thing as I understand it.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 00:38
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

If your intelligent deduction is right....Then ELP has only 941 fans? I believe Trilogy and BSS should be higher, but I'm part of an almost extinct race of old farts who prefer classic Prog, and part of the minority.

Proud member of a very select club, indeed.

Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 01:25
Progarchive lists, like most other popularity lists, are best ignored. Popularity is a disease and top 100 lists are pretentious. Especially those that are overly populated with non-pretentious bands to distract from their true pretentious nature. Its nothing more than pretentious subterfuge. I blame hipsters and libertarians.
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 01:50

Wink

Basicly what you are saying is that albums should have "X"-years, before people could start giving them top ratings.
That would secure no new realease could ever break the top 100 !
Maby and then again Maby not. Its a very conservative thinking, like the one we got in Classic music, and fine arts in general.

Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 02:00
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Progarchive lists, like most other popularity lists, are best ignored. Popularity is a disease and top 100 lists are pretentious. Especially those that are overly populated with non-pretentious bands to distract from their true pretentious nature. Its nothing more than pretentious subterfuge. I blame hipsters and libertarians. 

I'd say a  top 100 list based on ratings given by a large community is the opposite of pretentious. And while its not even close to looking like my own hot 100, its the best list of the sort I know of.

Proglists I've seen made by magazines/journalists & other sites are less daring and a lot more anglofile, and for that reason I'm quite impressed by PA's members. 

While I do agree to some extent that "popularity is a disease", I think the front page list largely shows a list that is made by individuals quite indifferent to bands and artists relative popularity. 

Edited by Saperlipopette! - October 03 2012 at 02:04
Gallifrey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 02:02
I don't agree with a lot of the top 100, but it is a good well-rounded view of the genre. I don't like that much 70's prog (incoming hate), but I know how much that music has created all the stuff I do like, and I would never make a list as good as that.
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 02:30

Wink

Good point, altaeria.
Of course, every music site gets the list it deserves, more or less.
Iván is pretty much right in his post.
And yes, I'm basically an old school progger myself and I won't put myself above the large crowd of PA members who have rated two Anglagard albums and a Big Big Train album much higher that any ELP album. 
Who am I to judge that. Unhappy
But I like your observation a lot and for myself, I can't take the list very seriously anymore.
Not that anyone cares about that beside me LOL
Thanks for the great post, though.
JonnyM79 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 06:03
Oh, and on the subject of Marmite...  tried this?

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 06:33
Love Marmite. Dislike Vegemite.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 06:49
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

I'd say a  top 100 list based on ratings given by a large community is the opposite of pretentious. And while its not even close to looking like my own hot 100, its the best list of the sort I know of.
Proglists I've seen made by magazines/journalists & other sites are less daring and a lot more anglofile, and for that reason I'm quite impressed by PA's members. 
While I do agree to some extent that "popularity is a disease", I think the front page list largely shows a list that is made by individuals quite indifferent to bands and artists relative popularity. 

Have to agree. It's a subjective point of view because music means a lot to a ton of people, but in different ways. I know that there are some staples with in the prog sphere, but you can't say one is really better than the other. This is such a generational thing where I know just by looking at the PA 100 it's rated by BABYBOOMERS for sure!!
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 19>