Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSwans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2013 at 19:35
Without going into too much detail, Swans are still under evaluation for the Post-Rock Team. We recently gained a member and their say might have an effect on whether Swans gets added or not. They would be added to PR/MR based only on their last three albums. If they don't get added to PR/MR they will probably never get on PA. 
Einsetumadur View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2013 at 09:34
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by Einsetumadur Einsetumadur wrote:

Prog Related:

7) Common sense - Nitpicking over the above listed criteria is not necessarily the correct way to evaluate a band for prog-related. Sometimes you just have to use some common sense and look at the big picture.

Exactly the kind of place where bands could go which clearly belong to this website, but which no-one really knows where to put, isn't it? Smile  In my opinion these sentences are a perfect tool to solve problems such as these.

Things would be so much easier if these categories were regarded as what they should be:  1. a means to split the admins'/collabs' maintenance work,   2. a way to simplify the band research for the PA readers. Imposing more meaning and relevance to these categories, frankly spoken, appears to me like futile pigeonholing. Wink

That is precisely NOT what Note 7 means, it clearly states that it refers to the previous six critera and no other. Prog Related is a specific category with a specific connotation, it is NOT a dumping ground for bands that "no-one really knows where to put" - it is certainly NOT a place to put our/your favourite non-Prog bands.

I'm sorry, but I'm afraid this is a definite misinterpretation of my posting.

Firstly, it is slightly polemic to state that my interpretation is (more or less) the opposite of the meaning of the guidelines. The claim that my posting is one of those attempts to sneak a favorite band into the PA simply isn't true. I know the special focussing of the PR category, and I am interested in supporting a valid opinion which doesn't only consider one particular case, but also those cases which are yet to come. I explicitly recognized the need of drawing the line between 'favourite bands' and 'prog bands' in my previous posting, quoting the heavily-discussed examples of Proto-Prog and Indie/Alternative-vs.-Prog.

Secondly, I mentioned clearly (maybe not clearly enough to have mentioned it explicitly) that the "no-one really knows where to put" point should suffice as the sole reason for neither a PR addition nor any other ProgArchives addition. If, however, the following three aspects apply to the situation at the very same time...

1. Recent magazines and notable reviews discuss the album/band in the context of progressive rock and acknowledge their prog content. (!)
2. The band has a considerable publicity.
3. The band is passed around from PA team to PA team for many months.

... I think that the PR category does fit very well.

Of course, one can argue that Swans aren't important enough to the Progressive Rock genre as a whole. That's a justifiable opinion, for sure. (No-one would like to see the PR category filled with small semi-pro bands without a clear musical direction, of course!)  And this is why I supported a more uncomplicated addition to the sub-teams in such a case. I just wouldn't appreciate the situation that a band which both experimented with a lot of genres and had a considerable prog output is rejected by the sub-teams due to 'genre discrepancies' and then rejected by the PR team due to 'lack of relevance for ProgRock as a whole'.  I see that the band is currently under evaluation in PostRock, but otherwise I think that the following procedure could be reasonable:

If there are doubts about the contribution of a band to 'prog rock history', if there's a consent about the prog content about a band, but a dissent about the exact genre, the band should be allowed to be added to any category which the serious music press attributes it to. (Swans are commonly attributed to post punk/post rock/noise/experimental/industrial/neo-folk -  hence, post rock would be the place to go.)

Passing a band from team evaluation to team evaluation because the genre names don't fit perfectly well appears to me like a fruitless and avoidable endeavour.

(Perhaps that's how things by now are already sorted out 'backstage', but that's what I thought up while reading this thread today. Wink)

Edited by Einsetumadur - August 08 2013 at 09:46
All in all each man in all men
Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2013 at 17:04

Well that is not true.

Swans were very quickly moved from the Post-Metal chart because - as I hope you will agree - there's not a scrap of metal in any of the two albums that might warrant them a place on the site (Soundtracks For The Blind and The Seer)

So in fact they've only been in the hands of the post-rock team and it's a tough one to decide there - as amply stated in this thread.

So as far as I know there's never been a dissent about which PA sub they fit, they fit in none at all, only - possibly - in post-rock, for only 2 out of the 13 something albums.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2013 at 12:44
Originally posted by Bonnek Bonnek wrote:

Well that is not true.

Swans were very quickly moved from the Post-Metal chart because - as I hope you will agree - there's not a scrap of metal in any of the two albums that might warrant them a place on the site (Soundtracks For The Blind and The Seer)

Of course, yes. Wink

So in fact they've only been in the hands of the post-rock team and it's a tough one to decide there - as amply stated in this thread.

Well, and that's the point I disagree with. I don't see decisions such as these as tough ones.

The way I understand this thread there is a kind of dissent about where to put that band:   either into PostRock,  or into no category because there is none which matches the style of Swans.  I think that this is just another facet of the problem.  The more common case, of course, is the intersection area between post rock/metal/ambient/prog folk when bands fit into all of them/none of them.

My point is that work, trouble and discussion could be reduced by:

- generally regarding the categories less stiffly (as explained above)
- generally maintaining the strictness of the inclusion criteria (!)
- simply adding bands which 1. belong  to this site,   2. have a considerable popularity,  but which  3. no-one knows where to put    into one category which fits,  without thinking too much about the subjective question which genre the band identifies with most, which album is the most important one...etc.
- creating a nice rule how to treat bands who recorded many albums which don't completely belong here but a few albums which clearly and definitely belong here.

I don't think that such a procedure would result in the (of course, unfavorable(!)) situation that the PA are flooded with non-prog bands. It could, however, result in simpler solutions for the discussions about famous bands such as Motorpsycho/Trail of Dead/Swans etc. who 'converted' to progressive rock for some years, thus influencing the Prog genre due to the success/fame they established in earlier years.

(To clarify things:  I'm not informed about how the decisions are made here and watch the evaluation process from a certain 'distance'. As I said, it may be that some of the points I make describe the way how problems are already solved at the moment. Many of my aforementioned ideas may have proved senseless in the past. I've written them down nonetheless, just in order to use my 'neutral-bystander' point of view to write down some independent ideas, some of which might inspire someone to maybe reappraise certain routines - some of which might be useful, some of which might be improvable.)

Edited by Einsetumadur - August 09 2013 at 12:49
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2013 at 14:23
I don't see any benefit in changing how things are done to account for exceptions, in fact it could easily be argued that any changes should be made to exclude the exceptions rather than include them. We have discussed a catch-all category several times in the past and rejected the idea. The rule is "one prog album" - if accepted the entire discography is added regardless - this should not affect the evaluation, non prog albums are simply ignored for evalation purposes.

The indecision here is not whether they belong in Post Rock or some-other sub, but if they belong in PA or not at all - if the conclusion is that they belong then the particular sub should be obvious. If putting a band in a subgenre is so tenuous then there is a good case for not including them at all.
What?
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2013 at 08:44
Thank you for the explanation. I didn't know about the "one prog album" rule - that's a fair and adequate assessment. Smile
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2013 at 08:50
^Which is why it would be so much easier if we could use album tagging, thereby also getting rid of all the straight jazz albums that have nothing to do with this site. Then we could have The Seer listed as well as Histoire de Melody Nelson and Lonesome Crow.
Works well on the metal n jazz archives.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
seventhsojourn View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2013 at 11:54
^ It would also be so much easier if, when someone suggested a new band, we simply said ''add the band.'' Wink

Seriously though, David, are you able to describe the evaluation process on JMA and MMA? I've had a cursory look at both sites and can't find the info. 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2013 at 12:07
I can't say that I know the evaluation process on either site, sorry Chris. I just find the individual tagging far more helpful, than what we have on here.
I realise it would entail a monstrous overhaul of the site, but I can't help but think that it in the end would spare us from a lot of these threads.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2013 at 13:14
Album tagging would not stop these type of suggestion threads nor would it stop arguments and disagreements. There are many suggested bands that would not get added even with album tagging. The "one album" rule should be enough - if there is doubt based upon that one album then album tagging would not save it. If Lonesome Crow is the indisputable Krautrock alum that some people say it is then they should be added regardless, however, it is not indisputable and that's where the problems start.

Edited by Dean - August 11 2013 at 13:58
What?
Pekka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2013 at 14:27
Originally posted by seventhsojourn seventhsojourn wrote:

^ It would also be so much easier if, when someone suggested a new band, we simply said ''add the band.'' Wink

Seriously though, David, are you able to describe the evaluation process on JMA and MMA? I've had a cursory look at both sites and can't find the info. 

In MMA if a band has released even just one clearly fitting metal album, then it's enough to earn their entry to the site. If their 25 other albums happen to be jazz or folk or anything, they can be labeled "non-metal", and they're (as of yet) unreviewable and unrateable. If they have covered many different metal genres during their career, they might have a few albums that are labeled "power metal", some that are "thrash metal" and so on. So MMA does not assign a band to a chosen subgenre, but the band's releases are tagged with the appropriate subgenres.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2013 at 15:07
Thanks, but the one clearly fitting metal album... how is that decision reached? Do teams vote, etc.?
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2013 at 15:50
Dean is absolutely spot on when he says that album tagging will not stop debates or arguments about adding artists to the database.

It would, however, stop the ridiculous situation we have that every single album by an added artist is de facto treated as a prog album. For no better example, I give you Miles Davis, who has 1940's albums available to review on a prog site, for heaven's sake.

Of course, the real root of the trouble we have here is this silly and pedantic sub genre split we have, most of which bear no relation to reality whatsoever, except in our little world. I have, of course, gotten into more than a little trouble for pointing this out beforeLOL
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2013 at 16:34
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Of course, the real root of the trouble we have here is this silly and pedantic sub genre split we have, most of which bear no relation to reality whatsoever, except in our little world. I have, of course, gotten into more than a little trouble for pointing this out beforeLOL

I'm gonna take this as a warning for myself. Wink
pianoman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2013 at 17:43
Progressive music has grown beyond the current sub-categories that are set up on the site, and therefore some modern progressive bands are not included because they "don't belong" or don't fit into the neat categories as they are defined. In 50 years from now, the categories we have now may not describe 80% of the progressive music being created during that time.

So are we always going to be denying the innovative music, or are we going to keep the site dedicated to progressive music only defined from a certain moment in time (the way it seems to work now, for the most part).

Edited by pianoman - August 11 2013 at 17:43
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2013 at 18:14
Originally posted by pianoman pianoman wrote:

Progressive music has grown beyond the current sub-categories that are set up on the site, and therefore some modern progressive bands are not included because they "don't belong" or don't fit into the neat categories as they are defined. In 50 years from now, the categories we have now may not describe 80% of the progressive music being created during that time.

So are we always going to be denying the innovative music, or are we going to keep the site dedicated to progressive music only defined from a certain moment in time (the way it seems to work now, for the most part).

But... I think it covers most of the new progressive bands around.

What other modern prog bands aren't being included?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2013 at 01:30

Dean is absolutely spot on when he says that album tagging will not stop debates or arguments about adding artists to the database.

It would, however, stop the ridiculous situation we have that every single album by an added artist is de facto treated as a prog album. For no better example, I give you Miles Davis, who has 1940's albums available to review on a prog site, for heaven's sake.

Steve, imo the real root of the problem is we are simply adding far too many artists. This is growing by the day. Soon we will need sub-subgenres. See also pianoman's post above.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2013 at 11:00
Originally posted by seventhsojourn seventhsojourn wrote:

Steve, imo the real root of the problem is we are simply adding far too many artists. This is growing by the day. Soon we will need sub-subgenres. See also pianoman's post above.

Not an unfair point, Chris. When I originally volunteered to be a member of the New Suggestions Team, I anticipated a little bit of fun and an interest in hitherto obscure bands. It turned out to be akin to a full time job, with piles of suggestions daily. My proper job and family simply did not allow the time necessary to do it justice.

Pianoman's post is a good one, I agree. Progressive rock is evolving, and will continue to do so......this is one (amongst a few others) reason why I continue to hold the opinion that fewer sub genres might be better, rather than agonising over which sub genre is a good, or in many cases, convenient fit. 
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2013 at 11:14
Not all innovative music is Progressive Rock... if it does not comfortably fit into the categories we've got (which are a wide and as catchall as they need to be when you actually look at what "Eclectic", "Heavy", "Crossover", "Prog Folk", "Progressive Metal" and "Jazz Rock/Fusion" are actually defined as here) then frankly, it's not Progressive Rock and we should never agonise over whether they should be here or whether we're missing out when we decide that: "Oh well, they don't fit, ho-hum... what's next on the pile? Brave The Vertigo... yet another bandcamp-band, is this Progressive Rock? Let's give it a spin and find out... "
What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2013 at 11:20
Post 30000Party

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>