Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSwans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2013 at 11:53
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Not all innovative music is Progressive Rock... if it does not comfortably fit into the categories we've got (which are a wide and as catchall as they need to be when you actually look at what "Eclectic", "Heavy", "Crossover", "Prog Folk", "Progressive Metal" and "Jazz Rock/Fusion" are actually defined as here) then frankly, it's not Progressive Rock and we should never agonise over whether they should be here or whether we're missing out when we decide that: "Oh well, they don't fit, ho-hum... what's next on the pile? Brave The Vertigo... yet another bandcamp-band, is this Progressive Rock? Let's give it a spin and find out... "

Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2013 at 12:21
Originally posted by seventhsojourn seventhsojourn wrote:

Thanks, but the one clearly fitting metal album... how is that decision reached? Do teams vote, etc.?

For borderline decisions, yes.  I think usually "metal or not" is easier to determine than "prog or not," though
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2013 at 12:32
Ermm even Lars Ulrich can manage that.

Wink
What?
seventhsojourn View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2013 at 06:05

Not all innovative music is Progressive Rock... if it does not comfortably fit into the categories we've got (which are a wide and as catchall as they need to be when you actually look at what "Eclectic", "Heavy", "Crossover", "Prog Folk", "Progressive Metal" and "Jazz Rock/Fusion" are actually defined as here) then frankly, it's not Progressive Rock and we should never agonise over whether they should be here or whether we're missing out when we decide that: "Oh well, they don't fit, ho-hum... what's next on the pile? Brave The Vertigo... yet another bandcamp-band, is this Progressive Rock? Let's give it a spin and find out... "

Then how do you account for the proliferation of ''move'' votes and the ping-ponging of artists?

I actually believe that a fair degree of agonising is almost inevitable in making these decisions. Dean, the picture you paint of the evaluation process here is rather simplistic. I guess that was deliberate, but the trouble is it doesn't seem too far removed from the system that by all accounts operates elsewhere and I was only half-joking when I replied to Gulle earlier in this thread. I wasn't around in the early years of PA, but if I'm not wrong artist additions were handled in a much less formal manner in order to build the site. Maybe that's now happening on MMA? Colin mentioned that metal is perhaps easier to identify than prog. I don't know about that. Probably my biggest failing in my role here is my (poor) ability to differentiate between Prog Metal and Heavy Prog, but it seems I'm not alone. In any case, your scenario above... if flippant it certainly sounds like fun. Would that things were like the cosy little music appreciation group you portray.

The real situation is of course different and carries responsibility. The first point of contact for the majority of suggestions is this area of the forum, where one person's opinion can see an artist rejected without further evaluation. The pre-evaluation is useful for weeding out candidates that obviously aren't prog, but I wonder how many decent suggestions have been rejected over the years based on one opinion. I do struggle to come to decisions to reject artists because I think it's important, especially for the artist involved. Another point is that, yes, I do agonise over where to pitch some suggestions because, as I alluded to above, there are many artists who comfortably fit Progressive Rock but don't fit comfortably in our subgenres. I try to minimise the amount of unnecessary work for the already overworked genre teams. Have I been pissing my time against a wall needlessly? 

Regarding the evaluation process, we also have the situation where one team member can be responsible for rejecting a band that the other team members have voted in favour of. The fact that one person voting ''no'' on a 4-man team rejects an artist whereas it takes three negative votes on a 5-man team just doesn't feel right to me. By the way, I've read your comments on sampling theory several times (Over The Ocean suggestion thread, page 3, for those interested). I'll admit I am none the wiser, I just can't get my head around it although I do adhere to it during evaluations. My point in mentioning it is that I think the one dissenting voice on that 4-man team who will reject the artist has to be absolutely sure he is doing the right thing. Maybe even agonising over it in the process.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2013 at 07:26
Originally posted by seventhsojourn seventhsojourn wrote:

Then how do you account for the proliferation of ''move'' votes and the ping-ponging of artists?
I actually believe that a fair degree of agonising is almost inevitable in making these decisions. Dean, the picture you paint of the evaluation process here is rather simplistic. I guess that was deliberate, but the trouble is it doesn't seem too far removed from the system that by all accounts operates elsewhere and I was only half-joking when I replied to Gulle earlier in this thread. I wasn't around in the early years of PA, but if I'm not wrong artist additions were handled in a much less formal manner in order to build the site. Maybe that's now happening on MMA? Colin mentioned that metal is perhaps easier to identify than prog. I don't know about that. Probably my biggest failing in my role here is my (poor) ability to differentiate between Prog Metal and Heavy Prog, but it seems I'm not alone. In any case, your scenario above... if flippant it certainly sounds like fun. Would that things were like the cosy little music appreciation group you portray.

The real situation is of course different and carries responsibility. The first point of contact for the majority of suggestions is this area of the forum, where one person's opinion can see an artist rejected without further evaluation. The pre-evaluation is useful for weeding out candidates that obviously aren't prog, but I wonder how many decent suggestions have been rejected over the years based on one opinion. I do struggle to come to decisions to reject artists because I think it's important, especially for the artist involved. Another point is that, yes, I do agonise over where to pitch some suggestions because, as I alluded to above, there are many artists who comfortably fit Progressive Rock but don't fit comfortably in our subgenres. I try to minimise the amount of unnecessary work for the already overworked genre teams. Have I been pissing my time against a wall needlessly? 
Regarding the evaluation process, we also have the situation where one team member can be responsible for rejecting a band that the other team members have voted in favour of. The fact that one person voting ''no'' on a 4-man team rejects an artist whereas it takes three negative votes on a 5-man team just doesn't feel right to me. By the way, I've read your comments on sampling theory several times (Over The Ocean suggestion thread, page 3, for those interested). I'll admit I am none the wiser, I just can't get my head around it although I do adhere to it during evaluations. My point in mentioning it is that I think the one dissenting voice on that 4-man team who will reject the artist has to be absolutely sure he is doing the right thing. Maybe even agonising over it in the process.

Mention of the proliferation of ''move'' votes and the ping-ponging of artists is made a lot (and a lot is made out of it), but how prevalent is this in reality? (Actual numbers, not impressions or gut feelings). When you look at ProgFreak (which even without Symphonic and RPI gives a good overview) you see some "move" votes that are inevitable because the person suggesting the band to a team isn't part of the team, but they generally resolve themselves:
DateUserChartAction
4yWindhawkCrossover-> Added
4yWindhawkCrossover-> Cleared
4ydarqdeanCrossover (darqdean)
4yLoganEclectic (Logan)
4yWindhawkCrossover (Windhawk)
4yWindhawkCrossover-> New
4yclarke2001Eclectic-> Move
4yclarke2001Eclectic (clarke2001)
4yEpignosisEclectic (Epignosis)
4yclarke2001Eclectic (clarke2001)
4yclarke2001Eclectic-> New
(that band still shows on the Eclectic chart as "move" even though they were moved to and added by Crossover soon after - there was no indecision involved here - both teams voted unanimously)

I was on the Crossover team (hell, I was the Crossover team for a while) so I know what it is like and I know how easy it is - a band fits or they don't - the only real indecision is with the borderline bands that you personally may feel would be better in another sub but you think that perhaps the other sub won't agree. Placing of bands should be obvious, if it isn't then perhaps we're trying too hard, perhaps the band shouldn't be here at all. If some say the band fits in Eclectic and some say the band fits in Crossover then that is not a band falling between the cracks, or a band that fits in neither sub, it is a band that can fit in either sub - all it takes is someone to flip a coin and make a decision  - if teams cannot resolve that between themselves then I don't see that breaking the system to account for these occasional anomalies is the wisest solution.

Yup, in the early days it was a lot more informal and ad hoc, then they didn't need a team to decide whether Yes or PFM were Prog or not and they didn't need a vote to decide where to put them. But once they'd added all the obvious easy bands people started adding not so obvious bands and bands that really shouldn't be here and things got messy. Perhaps with album tagging MMA does not need a team system(though I suspect that eventually they will), album tagging means they can add Rock bands like Fields of the Nephilim because someone thinks that their last album was a bit gothic metal. Personnally I think that's a mistake and not something we should encourage here.

I'm bored by the 1-man veto "debate" now - no one understands it so I informally scrapped it last year, you can all go back to the rather silly majority vote system. Three people think the band should be added and two say no - so we add them - how fricken daft is that. Aside from the mathematics of sampling (a team is a small sample of PA members), every addition should be so bloody obvious and so far beyond any shadow of doubt that every person on the team should vote yes. I suspect that in reality most (if not all) additions are by unanimous vote with or without the "rule".

Edited by Dean - August 13 2013 at 10:48
What?
calm_sea View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2013 at 15:25
I don't consider Swans to be progressive rock from a traditional standpoint, in that they sonically have little to do with the groups the genre name was originally applied to (Yes, KC, ELP, Genesis, etc etc etc etc etc etc).
BUT
Isn't "progressive" music about breaking down musical barriers and genre blending and furthering musical expression?
Swans are a group who have "progressed" throughout their career in the truest sense of the word.  From their punishing, industrialized, brutal beginnings, to their more accessible (yet still very interesting and at times caustic) folkier late 80's and early 90's output, to the more cinematic and atmospheric work they began putting out in the mid 90's until their first hiatus.  The material Gira and company are creating now is wholly psychedelic, experimental, atmospheric, challenging, and yes, progressive. 
I would not think twice if I saw them added to this site either in the prog related, post-rock/math rock, crossover or eclectic prog sections.
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2013 at 13:24
Santa loves Swans. They have been cleared for addition by the Post-Rock Team. The decision was made based on their last three studio albums; since they were suggested I have become familiar with their discography, and I would say even albums like Children Of God and The Burning World have some moments of proto-post-rock (yeah, I just said that). 

A great example of a group who can't be easily pigeon-holed into any one sub on PA, but deserve to be here anyway. I will send Colin a PM just in case he does not see this.
Magma America Great Make Again
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2013 at 13:47
Definitely looking forward to the tirade of upcoming reviews for "The Seer" - seeing as so many folks have been itching and gagging for Swans to be addedBig smile
Album of the year 2012 for me.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2013 at 13:52
Good news!  I'll get my reviewing gloves on.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2013 at 13:54
If you're taking on 'The Seer' Steve, then you may want to take your gloves off, if you can dig itTongue
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2013 at 13:58
Not sure which ones I'll review yet.  Hmmmm...

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Folk/Eclectic/PSIKE/Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2013 at 14:03
Yay, it's a Christmas miracle! Honestly, after relistening to their entire discography in chronological order, I'd have been satisfied for just prog-related. I wonder what PA folks will make of "White Light" and "Love of Life," as well as the moments of progressive folk found on "Children of God" and "The Burning World."
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2013 at 17:01
If only they had been added last year, they would have made my top 10, if not topped it.
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2013 at 21:17
Wow, this is pretty big news. To be honest, I'll probably have a go at the releases with dollar signs on them followed by my personal fav Children Of God, as that era is what I'm most familiar with concerning the band, having played those records so many times way back when.

I still haven't checked out The Seer yet...I'm feeling really out of the loop now.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2013 at 00:04
Sigh.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2013 at 00:26
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Sigh.
Has the backlash now begun?
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2013 at 06:22

Sigh.

(Not sure if this is directed at me or in general)Embarrassed

Yeah, I know, but if since they're here, I can't deny the impression their mid 80s output had on me despite the lack of 'prog' normally associated with the term.
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2013 at 13:56
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

Sigh.
Has the backlash now begun?

Probably. These guys are pretty controversial so it'll stir the pot when they're added. I doubt the uproar will be as bad as Bjork, but I'm sure we'll have some angry threads pop up.

When Bjork was added, there was one particular member dedicated to starting a "prog army" that would force Bjork off of PA.... eventually it calmed down, especially after he was banned, any any rumblings about Swan will end with time too.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2013 at 14:28
BJORK'S IN HERE?!?! WTF

-Kehlog Albran
Luna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2013 at 14:33
KANYE WEST SAMPLED KING CRIMSON???!!!?!?!?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>