Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIsildurs Bane

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Isildurs Bane
    Posted: January 14 2013 at 21:24
Any fans of this band out there? 

Since nothing comes up in a search, I thought I'd put their name on the board because I think they deserve it....

The first thing that came to mind while I was going through their discography at Spotify is a question: does this Swedish band play symphonic prog or fusion? Since I like both, maybe it doesn't matter. But several of their albums from the 90's bear an unmistakable fusion stamp and bring to mind the Dixie Dregs and Maybe Pat Metheny at times. I especially like some of their slower numbers like Ataraxia and
Bilbo which were very reminiscent of some of the material from the Dixie Dreg's classic "What If" album. 

But there is so much more - and not always is it fusion.  Both before and after their "fusion" period, there is a variety of prog, heavily orchestrated and varied, complex and intriguing. The "Steve Morse" guitar yields to trumpet, violin and vocals. 

This is one band that is very hard to sum up in one word, other than "impressive".

back to the listening...

aldri7

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2013 at 21:28
only own Cheval:Volonte de rocher, it is excellent over-the-top heavy symph
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2013 at 21:48
You're right, they do worth the mention. I never really explored them like I should, I only have Volume 1 and it's totally an amazing piece of work. I would say it's symphonic with a lot of chamber rock parts too, not so fusiony. Definitely recommended!
aldri7 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2013 at 21:54
Originally posted by sagichim sagichim wrote:

You're right, they do worth the mention. I never really explored them like I should, I only have Volume 1 and it's totally an amazing piece of work. I would say it's symphonic with a lot of chamber rock parts too, not so fusiony. Definitely recommended!

Yes, I highly recommend Vol 1...and its the violin mixed with guitar that brings The Dixie Dregs to mind...but this is superb and more complex and sophisticated that the Dregs..(if you don't hear the Dregs in Ataraxia and In a State of Comprehension then you don't know the Dregs..:))

Aldri7

Edited by aldri7 - January 14 2013 at 22:01
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2013 at 22:37
A great band. Mind Vol 1 & 2 is a fantastic prog experience. If you like more avant musics than Vol 3 is also recommended.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2013 at 23:18
Originally posted by aldri7 aldri7 wrote:

Yes, I highly recommend Vol 1...and its the violin mixed with guitar that brings The Dixie Dregs to mind...but this is superb and more complex and sophisticated that the Dregs..(if you don't hear the Dregs in Ataraxia and In a State of Comprehension then you don't know the Dregs..:))
Aldri7

I know the Dregs very well but never thought they were similar to Isildurs Bane, but you may be right, I'll have to listen to it again.
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2013 at 23:39
I've heard The Voyage: A Trip to Elsewhere and it was a trip! But I don't come back to it all that much. :\

Edited by The Truth - January 14 2013 at 23:39
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2013 at 00:10
Check out the cover of Sea Reflections - another naked butt to add to your collection.
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2013 at 00:11
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Check out the cover of Sea Reflections - another naked butt to add to your collection.

and it's never a lady's bum why is thatUnhappyUnhappy
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Eria Tarka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2013 at 00:39
^ 'cause it's prog! though you should check out the cover of Guru Guru's "Hinten" http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=5019
... it might be what you're looking for.

aldri7 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2013 at 01:18

Originally posted by aldri7 aldri7 wrote:

Aldri7

I know the Dregs very well but never thought they were similar to Isildurs Bane, but you may be right, I'll have to listen to it again.

"Bilbo" from Sea Reflections starts out like a cross between Kenny Wheeler in "Deer Wan" and the Dixie Dreg's "Night Meets Light" (album "What if").   "In a State of Comprehension" also makes me flash back to "Night Meets Light" as well as the Mahavishnu Orchestra.

Bilbo doesn't quite pull it off, but its hard to go wrong (with me) following in those footsteps. Nice effort...

aldri7  

Edited by aldri7 - January 15 2013 at 01:21
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2013 at 07:48
I've got Mind 1 and 2, along with Voyage, and recall enjoying them though not "loving" them (though the live one, vol. 2, has some incredible stuff on it).  I'll have to pull one out again soon and refresh my memory of them.
 Post Reply Post Reply