Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The RIP thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6061626364 115>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2020 at 16:29
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

Wow this has been a sad week for the passing of artists so far.

Ennio Morricone, Charlie Daniels and Joe Porcaro  R.I.P.

Yeah, I can't believe there isn't more mention of Ennio in particular but both are pretty important in their respective fields. Charlie Daniels is said to have been too rock for country and too country for rock and Ennio Morricone practically wrote the blueprint for the spaghetti Western music scores.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 11 2020 at 16:30
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2020 at 16:45
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Yeah, I can't believe there isn't more mention of Ennio in particular but both are pretty important in their respective fields. Charlie Daniels is said to have been too rock for country and too country for rock and Ennio Morricone practically wrote the blueprint for the spaghetti Western music scores.

Both Morricone and Daniels have their own RIP threads.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2020 at 06:30

and wasn't done yet sadly. RIP

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2020 at 21:40
RIP Judy Dyble. She was an original member of Fairport Convention and also in a later incarnation of Giles, Giles and Fripp. There was even an early demo version of "I talk to the wind" with her singing on it. She was also in Trader Horne for their one and only album. There will apparently be a posthumous album with her and David Longdon from Big Big Train coming out in September. RIP. 
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2020 at 02:14
I knew she had been ill for a long while and that her condition had deteriorated of late but didn't know she'd passed.. that's very, very sad news.. Saw the announcement of the Dyble/Longdon album being released in September a couple of days ago and that the news was not good but didn't expect it so soon. I remember seeing her at the Fairport annual reunion at Cropredy (cant remember what year) when she'd agreed to come and sing- she was so nervous and her fragile vocals seemed even more so for being up in front of a large crowd for the first time in many years! Very, very sad news, RIP Judy.

AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2020 at 06:28
R.I.P. Tim Smith.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2020 at 07:04
That's Tim Smith of the CARDIACS, not formerly of MIDLAKE.  
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2020 at 14:59
Two for today.

RIP Regis Philbin

RIP Peter Green (Fleetwood Mac)
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 13:29
Synonymous with Manchester in the 90's onwards, R.I.P. Denise Johnson.
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 15:42
Malik B of The Roots dead at 47.

https://www.nme.com/news/music/the-roots-malik-b-has-died-aged-47-2717922
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 20:07
R.I.P Alan Parker - (Director) Fame, Pink Floyd The Wall, Birdy
All fabulous films.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 05:30
R.I.P. Wayne Fontana
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2020 at 19:26
R.I.P. Martin Birch
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 18:49
RIP Progression magazine. They (or should I say he) had a good run.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 20:29
Trini Lopez from Covid-19 at 83. If I Had A Hammer, Light My Fire and a host of folk tunes. Not to mention being one of The Dirty Dozen.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 21:13
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Trini Lopez from Covid-19 at 83. If I Had A Hammer, Light My Fire and a host of folk tunes. Not to mention being one of The Dirty Dozen.

One of his groupies was a woman who claimed I was her baby. I know that sounds strange but it's true. She was a friend of the family and used to go around saying I was her kid when I was a baby. You cant make this stuff up folks. Apparently she had a ONS with him.

Anyway, RIP Trini.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - August 12 2020 at 08:53
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2020 at 06:11
RIP Julian Bream, died today aged 87; virtuoso classical guitarist and lutenist. For me his John Dowland interpretations are just peerless..

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2020 at 05:25
RIP Pete Way, bassist, founding member of UFO.
He had sustained life threatening injuries in an accident two months ago.

Edited by JD - August 15 2020 at 05:27
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2020 at 03:11
^ just read about Pete Way, sad news 
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2020 at 15:09
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

RIP Julian Bream, died today aged 87; virtuoso classical guitarist and lutenist. For me his John Dowland interpretations are just peerless..

His Nocturne was sublime. And, I’ve probably viewed his rendition of Bach’s BWV 1000 fugue for lute a thousand times. I also adored his duets with John Williams. He certainly developed his own style, focusing much on lute in addition to classical guitar. RIP Julian Bream.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6061626364 115>