Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The RIP thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 113114115116117>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2024 at 14:29
RIP Jimmy Hastings; some of the smoothest, most soulful flute and Sax playing in those early Caravan and Hatfield lps. They just oozed sunshine and warmth for me. Very sad news.

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2024 at 10:33
Judith Durham (1943-2022) Broken Heart

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - March 25 2024 at 10:43
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2024 at 10:49
Judith Durham (1943-2022) Broken Heart

Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2024 at 01:34
RIP Chris Cross - bass player with Ultravox, has passed away at the age of 71. Unhappy
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2024 at 03:01
Originally posted by Octopus II Octopus II wrote:

RIP Chris Cross - bass player with Ultravox, has passed away at the age of 71. Unhappy

That's sad news... one of the first bands I got into, aged about 13. May he RIP.
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2024 at 12:03
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2024 at 12:10
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

RIP
Joe Flaherty (82)

He even has a prog connection: Rush had him film a "Count Floyd" intro video for their song "The Weapon" on the 1982-83 Signals tour. He will be missed! 
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2024 at 14:59
'Welcome to Monster Chiller Horror Theatre !'

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2024 at 05:33
RIP to physicist Peter Higgs (for whom the Higgs boson is named after) who passed away on April 8 at the age of 94. 
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2024 at 11:54
RIP Max Werner, former vocalist and drummer of Kayak. Passed away on 9 April aged 70.
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2024 at 12:09
RIP OJ Simpson
Cause its only knock and know all, but I like it...

Writing (Or Suffering from Writers Block)

Working on a New Album|Bandcamp
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2024 at 13:13
^Yep. I heard that. Some would say RIH. 
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2024 at 15:40
I actually did say exactly that earlier today in the General Discussions Forum and my post was pulled down.
Sad state of affairs on PA when you can't tell a brutal murdered to Rest In Hell.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2024 at 05:36
RIP to Whitey Herzog, former manager of the Kansas City Royals and St. Louis Cardinals (winning a WS for them in 1982 which I remember following very closely), inducted into the HOF in 2009. He passed away April 15 at the age of 92. 

----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2024 at 11:41
Dickey Betts, guitarist of the Allman Brothers has died at age 80.  https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/allman-brothers-band-co-founder-162605416.html
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2024 at 12:09

I actually did say exactly that earlier today in the General Discussions Forum and my post was pulled down.
Sad state of affairs on PA when you can't tell a brutal murdered to Rest In Hell.
You can't? Really? You've just said that and your post didn't get taken down. :D
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2024 at 12:19
No surprise, I'm the one who hid it (it still exists). Not exactly the same in this thread, but I thought having it as a topic with the topic headline "Rest in H3LL OJ" was both unnecessary, especially for a music site, and in very questionable taste.

The post itself merely said

Finally, he gets his.

https://variety.com/2024/film/obituaries-people-news/oj-simpson-dead-cancer-1235967744/

I know I would find seeing a topic titled ""Rest in H3LL OJ" off-putting if visiting a site like. It seems so aggressive / doesn't make me think, what a lovely crowd this must be at PA. Frankly I don't think the infamous OJ even deserves the recognition to get his own thread here.

Oh, and maybe because I lost both of my parents to cancer (my mother last July), my brother is dying from it, and my other had it, I'm not excited when anyone dies from it.

Edited by Logan - April 18 2024 at 12:29
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2024 at 12:26
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

a topic with the topic headline "Rest in H3LL OJ" was both unnecessary, especially for a music site, and in very questionable taste.
I agree! Progarchives isn't Twitter, Reddit, 4chan et al. You don't have to act like a manchild with an inflated ego here. :) You can express your satisfaction with a death of an undeniably horrible person here, but do it with class.

I learned it the hard way. I recently expressed my stance against generative AI here in an impulsive fashion with the use of multiple curse words and my post got taken down. And that isn't because PA wants to silence people who don't support Generative AI, which, trust me, is a technology that scammers, plagiarists and liars abuse like crazy. ;)

Edited by Hrychu - April 18 2024 at 12:33
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2024 at 12:43
Yep, and I have no issues with AFKC responding to FNW's "Yep. I heard that. Some would say RIH" with "^Yep. I heard that. Some would say RIH" in the RIP thread. That's not the same as making a topic on it with the title ""Rest in H3LL OJ". I tend to think, feel free to speak your mind, but mind HOW you speak it.

And one thing to remember is that even people who have done horrible things often have people who care about them (like family, and to take those feelings into consideration). Try not to be too insensitive.

I feel the same way about AI as you. One thing that I should mention is that things can seem very arbitrary when action is taken, but often when I do (and one can blame me for most moderation here) it;s due to complaints. SOme complain when I haven;t taken action, but that is often because I have not noticed it and it has not been reported. We mods are very few and there is no all-seeing, all-knowing eye. I kind of hate moderating (doing it since 2008 I think), left at least twice, but came back anyway after being requested, and one time so I could deal with a person who was making serious threats. One of the worst things about being a mod is that you get blamed for taking action and not taking action, and it can often lead to grudges. I wish we could all be a little more tolerant and forgiving. I do believe in moderation in all things, including moderation. Having had my kids looking at his site, I was a little more concerned about language than some.

Edited by Logan - April 18 2024 at 12:47
Just a fanboy passin' through.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2024 at 12:46
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Dickey Betts, guitarist of the Allman Brothers has died at age 80.  https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/allman-brothers-band-co-founder-162605416.html
Woah, I didn't see this coming and didn't realize that he was that old. Rest In Peace Dicky.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 113114115116117>