Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMartin Barre & Thick as a Brick 2

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Martin Barre & Thick as a Brick 2
    Posted: April 23 2013 at 19:46
Just picked this up recently and think it's fantastic.  I'm curious, does anyone know the story of why Martin Barre is not playing guitar on this?  I know it's technically an Ian Anderson solo album, but him and Martin have been joined at the hip through so many Tull incarnations it makes me wonder what happened.  Did they have a falling out?  What (if anything) musical is Martin doing these days?
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2013 at 23:12
No idea why he's not involved but Ian often stated that without Martin there is no Jethro Tull.
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2013 at 00:31
http://www.goldminemag.com/article/jethro-tull-guitarist-martin-barre-takes-high-road-on-taab2-rift
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2013 at 11:27
Originally posted by tamijo tamijo wrote:

http://www.goldminemag.com/article/jethro-tull-guitarist-martin-barre-takes-high-road-on-taab2-rift

That's one pretty damning interview, without actually saying too much in detail.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2013 at 11:39

Ouch.  Sounds like Ian was sneaking around doing TaaB2 while telling Martin he didn't want to play any more Tull.  Whatever the truth really is, this sucks.  Not into Queensryche, but this sounds similar where you have the singer putting together a new band, the old band getting a new singer, and both bands calling themselves Queensryche.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2013 at 12:00

<span style="font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 15px; line-height: 19px; white-space: nowrap; -webkit-tap-highlight-color: rgba26, 26, 26, 0.296875; -webkit-com-fill-color: rgba175, 192, 227, 0.230469; -webkit-com--color: rgba77, 128, 180, 0.230469; ">http://www.goldminemag.com/article/jethro-tull-guitarist-martin-barre-takes-high-road-on-taab2-rift</span>

''I know nothing about it''.
''He told us nothing''.
''Nothing is being said''.

Typically Ian.
humor4u1959 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2013 at 22:51
Perhaps Martin Barre no longer wanted to work with a singer with no voice? IMHO, it's absolutely ludicrous to have another guy onstage to sing over 90% of the vocals. Ian seriously should retire. Sad thing is, I love older Tull, was a big fan and still am. So very sad. Were it me, I would not have the nerve to do what Anderson is doing. No way. Once again, retire. Or, do all instrumental music. He still can play the flute and his little guitar very well.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2013 at 10:39
Originally posted by humor4u1959 humor4u1959 wrote:

Perhaps Martin Barre no longer wanted to work with a singer with no voice? IMHO, it's absolutely ludicrous to have another guy onstage to sing over 90% of the vocals. Ian seriously should retire. Sad thing is, I love older Tull, was a big fan and still am. So very sad. Were it me, I would not have the nerve to do what Anderson is doing. No way. Once again, retire. Or, do all instrumental music. He still can play the flute and his little guitar very well.

I agree.  I saw the Stormwatch tour in '79 then didn't see Tull again until the Crest of a Knave tour in '85 and it was shocking how bad Ian's voice had become.  After that, hearing Ian's voice just makes me cringe...of course he can still play flute like a madman so why note do flute-taking-over-the-vocal-melody renditions of Tull songs?  What strikes me as bizarre is that on TaaB2, his voice actually sounds good again (he doesn't do any screaming or really push high vocal melodies)...guess it must be due to some studio magic... 
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2013 at 12:57
Hi,

I don't know what to say ... except that if there is one thing I have seen in life, A LOT, is many disappointments, and I'm just glad to see Martin not take this personally and move on, and those folks are always the best to have around and enjoy our time with ... and are massively good and pleasant company! You will never get tired of Daevid Allen and his fun being around, or Gilly, or some of those folks, because they are "real people" and do not play the "star" with you ... you can have dinner with them, and enjoy a cup of tea with them ... and you can not do this with "stars" that want you to kiss their behinds and treat them like a star!

Now comes the issue ... we're the ones at fault!

We put those people in their pedestal ... so why are you punishing them for their own Godly fights? ... c'mon, you never read Greek Mythology to the point where even those had fights and disagreements, and life went on, and Medea went left, Jason went right, Hercules went up, Hermes went down ....

Why are you upset?
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply